Ebleskiver, how I love you.

by Jenn (eating bender) on May 21, 2008

So I’ve spent a good 3 minutes trying to find the perfect way to describe my Ebleskiver pancakes. In those 3 minutes, I have found that there are just no words. They are too good to be true. Honestly…I’m “typeless” – get it? Since you can’t actually hear me speak…I’m not speechless…but typeless… (I think since I always feel I have to explain my jokes, they are probably not very funny) :)

Phew – now ^ that ^ must have been painful to read. ANYWAY – THANK YOU again Aunt Diane!!!!! I’m am very very happy with my present :mrgreen:

So here’s what I did. I started out by creating my own version of the basic recipe:

• 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/4 cup cottage cheese

I mixed all the ingredients together until only the cottage cheese lumps remained. After spraying each little cup with cooking spray, I poured the batter evenly into the pan like so:

I turned the burner to medium high heat and let the pancakes start cooking. Eventually, I realized I used too much batter because they started looking like this:

So then when I started flipping them, the batter sort of went everywhere. I thought all was lost because they started looking like this:

Guess my flipping skills need some work 😉 Fortunately, however, this little pan still was able to work its magic, and within a few more minutes I had a plate full of seven perfect pancake balls:

I drizzled them with some maple syrup and had the most delicious, voluminous and looks-sinful-but-is-really-not breakfast ever!

The nutritional value can’t be beat either! All of this for 350 calories, 30 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber! Even if you don’t have the pan, give the recipe a try – you won’t be disappointed!!

1 Romina May 22, 2008 at 7:29 am

I always wondered how they made them perfectly round, it just seems impossible!

2 VeggieGirl May 22, 2008 at 8:13 am

WOWOWOWOW!!!! Those Ebleskiver pancakes??? Divine!! No WONDER you were “typeless” (haha, love it). You did a great job making them – no worries about them not being “perfectly” round!

3 lindzakins921 May 22, 2008 at 9:32 am

these are TOO cute!

4 melissaeats May 22, 2008 at 9:35 am

HOLY COW!!! Those look so scrumptious!!!!! I’ve never seen such a thing before!!

5 Kristie May 22, 2008 at 9:38 am

Whoooooa those look so yummy. Pancake balls? SO cool! I really really want one of those pans now!

6 Monica May 22, 2008 at 9:56 am

Yum, these looks great! I am craving pancakes now. Maybe for lunch? haha. Have a great day!

7 glidingcalm May 22, 2008 at 10:59 am

haha WOW! that looks so gourmet and shmancy! i want one of those pans!!! haha we are all jealous! and only 350 cals?! looks like soo many!! hmm… maybe ill put it on my wish list!

have an awesome day Jenn!

8 Erica May 22, 2008 at 11:49 am

I think everyone who reads this is going to have pancakes for dinner tonight :) These look AWESOME! I love Williams Sonoma! They have the best stuff! Thank you for the great recipe!

9 oatmeal May 22, 2008 at 1:35 pm

I love how atypical those pancakes look! I thought they were cream puffs or scones at first! XD Guess mistakes can turn out tasty and awesome from time to time! 😀

10 Leng May 22, 2008 at 5:30 pm

how fun! I wish I had a toy like that to play with.

11 Leslie May 22, 2008 at 9:32 pm

your little pancake balls look so delicious!! The other day I saw some sort of contraption being sold in an infomercial for a dohickey that does this exact same thing – make pancake balls, that is. You, clearly, did not need to spend the $19.95…nice!

12 Jenn May 23, 2008 at 12:51 am

Romina ~ I know! I hope to get better at flipping the more I use it!

VeggieGirl ~ Thanks :)

Lindz ~ I know they are adorable!!

Melissa ~ I hadn’t either – I just randomly got an email about the pan and thought I had to try it out!

Kristie ~ The pan is great, and pretty easy to use!

Monica ~ Lunch, dinner…they’re good anytime 😉

Em ~ Definitely add it to the wish list!!

Erica ~ Thanks :)

oatmeal ~ Yes they can!

Leng ~ I definitely recommend it!

Leslie ~ Haha yes, birthday gifts are always so great so you don’t have to spend your own money :)

13 Harold Walker July 21, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I’m growing increasingly fond of the ebleskiver myself. I hadn’t even heard of the pan until a few weeks ago when i stopped by Schweppe in Lombard, IL for their Demo Day event. There was a nice lady there cooking them and I fell in love instantly (with the pancakes of course).
I’ll bet their blog followers would like this one too!

14 Kahler December 13, 2012 at 9:27 am

Awesome photos really shows what this product can do, I’m gonna buy one now for sure!

Spend the extra money on organic, your body will love you, and with some frugal shopping your wallet won’t be to bad either.

Awesome guide!