Breakfast Challenge: Day 5!

by Jenn (eating bender) on June 6, 2008

**Sorry for the delay**

The last day of the challenge! Although my crazy schedule didn’t allow me to be super creative with my “breakfast” meals, I still feel like I tried some new things (and kept some old favorites, of course)!

Speaking of old favorites…this one never disappoints:

Whipped banana oatmeal with flax, wheat germ, PB granola and maple syrup! Sitting on top of my to-do list :)

Along with the usual:

I’m dubbing this a breakfast omelette – minus the egg πŸ˜‰ I definitely want to try putting all of these ingredients into an omelette at some point, because the flavor is amazing!

Mixed greens, black olives, tomatoes, peppers, and feta with sesame ginger dressing.

It may seems like your ordinary salad, but to me, breakfast should be whatever you’re in the mood for. That’s one thing that I have realized from this challenge: it’s ok to eat salad in the morning if that’s what you’re craving – and I definitely think I will be now that it’s SCORCHING outside and I can’t eat my oats without breaking a sweat!

This dinner was a breakfast pita adapted from various websites based on what I had in my fridge!

I used a Whole Foods pita (so good!), sliced deli turkey, reduced fat Mexican cheese and feta. I heated the pita up for about 45 seconds in the microwave so it was soft and melty – and delicious!

I also had some more rice pudding and TJ’s High Fiber – I love this combination!!

The challenge may be over, but as I said, I have become much more comfortable with the idea that it’s ok to eat what one would typically associate with lunch and dinner foods at 7:30 am instead! Thank you to Carmen for developing such a creative idea – I hope this challenge becomes a tradition!

Busy weekend ahead: finish papers, plus study, study, study! I’ve got three days left ladies and gentleman! I may wait to post until after school is over (you understand, I’m sure) – but who knows, I might pop in with some more health links if I find any that are particularly interesting!!

Hope everyone is enjoying the heat (though not so much the humidity) – have a great weekend :)

1 Romina June 6, 2008 at 11:22 pm

I’m with you on breakfast, it should be what you’re craving. Sometimes I eat pasta for breakfast… ok, quite often I do, hehe!

2 lindzakins921 June 7, 2008 at 6:23 am

yum – love the breakfast ideas especially those oats πŸ˜‰

good luck w/ the studying!!!

3 oatmeal June 7, 2008 at 9:12 am

I agree totally about eating what you crave for breakfast! Love your breakfast salad–theveggies WOULD taste really good with an omelet! You can make an omelet salad! :mrgreen:

Good luck with your work!

4 VeggieGirl June 7, 2008 at 10:03 am

That oatmeal = perfection.

Yep, there should be NO rules as to what one should/can enjoy for breakfast – as long as it’s edible and delicious ;0)

5 ChocolateCoveredVegan June 7, 2008 at 9:04 pm

I want some breakfast now, even though it’s 9PM!

6 Richelle June 8, 2008 at 3:50 pm

That breakfast pita looks great! Ive been having a huuuge craving for cheese lately =/

7 Jessica June 8, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I’ve enjoyed reading–drooling over this challenge. What’s the next one? πŸ˜‰

8 Melissa June 9, 2008 at 10:11 am

Hm – I might have to try that. I LOVE all breakfast food so I could definitely do that :) Yum!

9 Jenn June 9, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Romina ~ I’ve gotta try that pasta for breakfast!!

Lindz ~ Thanks :)

Carmen ~ Thanks :)

VeggieGirl ~ I couldn’t agree more!

ChocolateCoveredVegan ~ Haha, that made me laugh :)

Richelle ~ Me too! I’ve been eating cheese with everything!

Jessica ~ Not sure – but I should try to think of something!

Melissa ~ Thanks :)

10 ashley June 10, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Oh, that pita looks goooooooooood! The challenge sounds so interesting. I’m not sure if I could do it. Everytime I have a lunch/dinner food for breakfast, I don’t feel content so I go ahead and eat a breakfasty breakfast anyway! Maybe I just like to eat too much….

11 ashley June 10, 2008 at 7:46 pm

p.s.- I like your notepad :)

p.s.s.- My Google Reader doesn’t like you! I keep losing this blog from my feed. I’ll try again. If I disappear in the comments for a few days, please come find me and bring me back!

12 Jenn June 11, 2008 at 12:35 am

ashley ~ I totally know what you mean – I’ve done the exact same thing — heading straight for the cereal box after a lunchy breakfast!

Sorry Google reader doesn’t like me!! That’s happened to me before too – hopefully it will work but I will be sure to comment on your blog so you know I’m still around :)