A “Whole” Lotta Fun!

by Jenn (eating bender) on June 29, 2008

I was in food blog heaven yesterday. I decided to take a special trip to the giant Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s that are roughly 20 minutes away from where I live. Oh man, it was SO worth it!

I slept in a little bit Saturday morning, which felt great! I woke up and made myself a cup of Coffee Cocoa while checking emails.

A little later on, I was hungry for something more substantial, so I had a bowl of Nature’s Path Puffs and TJ’s High Fiber sticks, topped with some blueberry granola and unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

After breakfast, I went to the gym and had a great workout: 45 minutes on the elliptical and an arm machine workout. I moved up in weights – and I’m feeling it on Sunday morning :)

When I got back from the gym, it was off to Whole Foods! I was absolutely amazed by all the samples they had! I guess I’ve been going to the Whole Foods near me at the wrong time of day, because I’ve never seen so many things to try! I took a few pictures – but they don’t quite capture it all!

There was fresh fruit:

Some not so fresh fruit – in the form of cherry pie!

There was also a lot of bread, blueberry scones, turkey, chicken sausage, cheese…the list could go on and on! It was such a treat! I also had to get a picture of some awesome looking cupcakes in the bakery section:

How cute are the burgers and carrots on top of these?!

So then, of course, I couldn’t pass up the Whole Foods hot bar. It was the first time I’ve ever had it, and believe me, it did not disappoint!!

I really can’t remember everything I put into this bowl of deliciousness, but I do have some pictures to jog my memory a bit. I know, for example, that there were definitely sweet potatoes!

I haven’t had them in forever! I really need to start buying them because I love them so much! There were also several different types of quinoa.

My first time trying quinoa. It was pretty good, but I think I like rice and couscous better!!

There were also some mushrooms, eggplant, artichokes, and tofu in there – curry flavored, kung pao, Greek…I think pretty much every cuisine you can think of was in this little bowl!

So that was pretty much the best. meal. ever! To top it off, I bought these amazing little fruit pieces that I had on my way home – a strawberry and pineapple flavored delight!

While I was shopping, I stopped in my tracks when I saw this:

I can’t wait to try them, especially after the rave reviews they’ve been getting!

I also stopped by Trader Joe’s and got some goodies!

Cereal, trail mix, multi-grain oats, alternative peanut butter, and figs! These are all NEW for me (except for the trail mix) so it was a very exciting shopping trip, to say the least!

I was super stuffed after that meal, and I ate it pretty late in the day, so I didn’t want much for dinner. Later on that evening, Bobby said he wanted Panera, and I couldn’t pass up that opportunity, so I just went and got a Strawberry Poppyseed Salad with a whole grain baguette. But I definitely couldn’t finish it all! I had about half – mostly focusing on the fruit!

I finished the whole grain baguette later though 😉

We spent the rest of the night watching Lost – the first season! Yes, I know – I’m behind. It took a few episodes for us to get into it, but now it’s starting to get addictive!

Good food, good time, good Saturday :mrgreen:

1 VeggieGirl June 29, 2008 at 12:26 pm

You definitely were in heaven!! My heaven as well :0D

I HIGHLY recommend the TJ’s high fiber O’s cereal (heated up for about 20 seconds, with hempmilk – divine!!)

2 glidingcalm June 29, 2008 at 2:46 pm

wow! your hot bar looks so good! I stopped by WF this weekend too, and got the hot bar also! We are twins!! How were your candies?!

3 Aly June 29, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Ahhh, I wish we had Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods in Canada. We have some good health food stores, but nothing like them (from the looks of those pictures!).
BTW, I just started watching Lost too! I hadn’t watched TV in 5 years (poor student) and finally I’m like, screw it, I need something to be fanatical about! I’m only halfway through the first season, I agree it’s so exciting!

4 Kristie June 29, 2008 at 4:53 pm

I’m so jealous of your shopping trips, everything looks soooo good. Especially that hot bar salad, holy crap. And I LOVE those cupcakes, they are way too cute!

5 Caroline June 29, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Look at all that good food! I am so envious of your proximity to Trader Joe’s…send me some of that goodness!

6 lindzakins921 June 30, 2008 at 4:46 am

i so want to try those yummy desserts! what pretty displays! enjoy the planks :)

7 annaalstondonnelly June 30, 2008 at 9:24 am

Omg- my WF never has many samples in the produce section b/c they run out so quickly (of the joys of living in Washington). Such wonderful meals today- so glad you enjoyed your Saturday!

8 Jenn June 30, 2008 at 9:31 am

VeggieGirl ~ I tried the O’s with heated almond milk – you were right, divine is a great way to describe it!

Em ~
That’s great! The candies were really good – definitely not in short supply of sugar 😉

Aly ~
I’m halfway through too – it’s starting to become an obsession, ahh!

Kristie ~
I know! I definitely wish I would have gotten a cupcake…

Caroline ~
I wish I could send some TJ’s your way!

Lindz ~ Thanks – I can’t wait to try ’em!

Anna ~ Aw, no produce samples? That’s no fun, haha – you should protest :)

9 Tom Aarons August 10, 2008 at 9:11 pm

What a fantastic spread of fresh fruit. That’d be my idea of heaven too! :)

10 Comfortcook October 26, 2008 at 9:52 pm

I really enjoyed the pictures from your trip to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. Chicago is my favorite “eating” city! I am originally from IL but live in Nashville, Tn now. I took my 1st trip to Whole Foods here in the spring. It was GREAT! Also, we are getting a Trader Joe’s soon. Nashville is really turning into quite a little culinary mecca. Thanks again for your fun blog….Comfortcook

11 eatmyfood December 30, 2008 at 6:38 am

That was like a dream day for me – all except the workout. I love going to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s and spending time just walking the aisles.

12 never have to get off your butt to get fit January 27, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write on my site something like that. Can I use part of your post in my blog too?