Tofu Wrecks Your Brain?

by Jenn (eating bender) on July 24, 2008

Happy Thursday everyone! I’ve got two links for you to check out today that my mom sent me this morning! I’ll post the links now, but probably won’t have the day’s eats up until tomorrow morning because I’m going to a baseball game tonight! Woohoo:mrgreen:

1) A recent study shows that “eating high levels of some soy products, such as tofu, could raise the risk of memory loss.” Now I have no idea how much truth there is to this statement, but the article is pretty balanced in that it also points out that “tempeh, a fermented soy product made from the whole soy bean, has been associated with better memory.” I know there’s a lot of tofu enthusiasts in the foodie blogosphere, so I thought this was a great way to get some discussion going! Click here for the link!

2) On a somewhat lighter note, another article my mom sent me talks about how to shop for organic foods when on a budget. It definitely had some great tips in there for a college student with no limited funds like myself, but I’m sure that everyone could benefit from cutting back on their grocery bill! Click here for that link!

I’m off to buy some peanuts and CrackerJax – not really, but to the baseball diamond we go! Have a splendid evening :)

1 VeggieGirl July 24, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Thanks for providing the article links – I always love it when you do that, since the topics are always so interesting!!

Have fun at the game!!! :0)

2 Fitnessista July 24, 2008 at 5:00 pm

oooh nothing says summer like a baseball game! have fun!!

thank you so much for the helpful links! i’ve heard mixed research on tofu, and i really like it (!), so my plan is to enjoy it in moderation because i love it too much to quit!

have a great evening!

3 oatmeal July 24, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I’ve heard some mixed info about soy products like tofu as well–which saddens me ’cause I’m addicted to tofu! Apparently soy products aren’t really beneficial for you unless it’s soy PROTEIN? Not really sure on this one…

Thanks for the awesome article links!

4 Every Gym's Nightmare July 24, 2008 at 5:40 pm

I think i read that article. It seems familiar, but i cant remember.

HA! GET IT? Im clever.

5 lindzakins921 July 25, 2008 at 5:40 am

have a great time!!!!

6 MizFit July 25, 2008 at 7:54 am

I saw that article too and will apre you the joke I saw that Kelly already made….not sure what I think…but I am sure I prolly eat too much soy.

everything is bad for you huh?

7 Mark Salinas July 25, 2008 at 8:21 am

What isn’t bad for you? :) Have fun!

8 Fit Bottomed Girls July 25, 2008 at 9:08 am

I figure I eat enough fruits and veggies to make up for my morning soymilk. :) Plus, I’m avoiding all those hormones in cow milk, right?!

And no way I’m giving up my edamame with sushi. No way.

9 Jenn July 25, 2008 at 9:28 am

VeggieGirl ~ You’re welcome – I’m just glad people enjoy them!

Fitnessista ~ I think you’re way is best – there’s no way it’s bad enough to avoid completely! As long as you don’t eat it for every meal every day, I don’t think there’s a problem.

Carmen ~ Yeah, I’m not sure about the soy protein either. Oh well :(

Kelly T ~ You are SO clever – thanks for the laugh :)

Lindz ~ Thanks – wish we could’ve actually gone, haha.

MizFit ~ Yep, if all of these testers had their way, we would never eat at all.

Mark ~ I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Fit Bottomed Girls ~ I agree – I think hormones in cow milk are MUCH more dangerous!