The Big City Life

by Jenn (eating bender) on August 1, 2008

Happy Friday, everyone! Apologies for being so unpredictable with posting this week – it’s been CA-RAY-ZAY at my internship as we begin to wrap up the summer! Bear with me for the next week and a half or so, and then I’ll be a lot more reliable!

BREAKFAST

I was so excited for breakfast yesterday, as it was the first time I’ve had oatmeal in quite a while! I made a package of Kashi Honey & Cinnamon oatmeal in the microwave with unsweetened vanilla almond milk to start. After about a minute and a half, I added in some fresh blueberries and put it back in the microwave for another minute. Once all the hot stuff was taken care of, i topped the oats with some fresh raspberries and white chocolate chips.

Check out that nifty bowl from Urban Outfitters! I love the birds :) I’ve been very patriotic this week with my blueberry, raspberry and white chocolate chip mixtures, haven’t I?

I also got in some protein by making a quick microwaved poached egg white with a Laughing Cow cheese wedge in the middle.

MORNING SNACK

I was looking forward to my snack all morning, so I broke it out early and munched on it for a long time. I wanted to make sure they stayed cold! White and purple frozen grapes are so delicious!

But those frozen grapes will make a person chilly in the air conditioning! Especially when it’s blasted like it is in my office šŸ˜‰ So I warmed up with a mug of hot chocolate, too!

LUNCH

Yesterday was another one of those days where I just felt like having several small lunches throughout the early afternoon. I started out by eating some sliced deli turkey.

And later on, I had a microwaved sweet potato. But this guy just would NOT cooperate with the camera! Apparently, he was camera shy and resistant to clean cuts with my knife, so I just cut him in half instead of into small circles. Therefore, the picture is just not as elegant as it could have been! HA! I can’t believe I am so critical of a picture of sweet potatoes šŸ˜‰ ANYWAY – here’s the picture.

AFTERNOON SNACK

When I first started my internship, I said I was going to treat myself to one of these once a week. I can’t believe it’s been 7 weeks and this is only the second time I could do it! Time flies, right? So I went to Fannie May and picked up another dark chocolate strawberry. Mm Mm Mm!

DINNER

So last night I got the chance to meet up with my dad, who is in town for business! I stayed in a hotel right on Michigan Avenue with him and had so much fun looking out on the big city lights and crowds. But BEFORE I could do that, I had to catch up on some work at the office :( That meant dinner would have to be quick. So I did the logical (and cheap) thing and hit up Subway for a Veggie Delite!

I ate 1/2 right away and brought the other 1/2 back to my office. Of course, it eventually got eaten, too :) The sub was packed with tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, banana peppers and black olives. I got it on the honey oat bread with a light amount of honey mustard. I love $5 foot longs!

I must get back to the grind! Here’s the scoop: my cousin is coming into town for the weekend! She knows all about the blog and we have some fun foodie stuff planned, so it will be awesome and photo-filled, I’m sure. I’m thinking I will recap the entire weekend on Sunday, so if you don’t hear from me until then, don’t worry – I’ll be back :) And yes, I am still catching up on blog reading. But IĀ WILL get there eventually. Thanks in advance for understanding. I have 2 crazy weeks left before the summer starts to really slow down!

TGIF!

1 VeggieGirl August 1, 2008 at 2:17 pm

I can’t believe that your internship is almost over – I remember back to when you first started it!!

Love that bowl from Urban Outfitters!! Too cute!!

Gorgeous grapes and chocolate-covered strawberry!!

I’m eating a sweet potato (with roasted-garlic hummus for dipping!!) as I type out this comment, so I’m happy to see YOUR sweet potato :0)

Have an AWESOME time with your cousin!! Shall be quite exciting!!

2 Sarah August 1, 2008 at 2:33 pm

cutest bowl ever! it’s like the birds are perched up on the oatmeal : )

I’ve never tried frozen grapes before but my roommate freshman year lived on them. I’m a little intimidated to be honest-do you bite them? suck on them? I just don’t know what to do!

And of course that chocolate covered strawberry looks divine.

3 Olga August 1, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Your pictures are always so beautiful! I loveeee your blog, it just makes my stomach happy =]

4 Mark Salinas August 1, 2008 at 3:37 pm

I always look forward to your site..thanks you!

5 HangryPants August 1, 2008 at 4:23 pm

You DO have the cutest bowls! Have a great weekend – can’t wait to see your foodie adventures.

Heather

6 jenngirl August 1, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Cute bowl! Urban Outfitters really does have some of the funnest things! Sounds like a fun weekend with your cousin, can’t wait for an undoubtebly awesome weekend re-cap post! :) Happy Friday

7 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) August 1, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I love that bowl. It’s just so cute!

Have a great time with your cousin!

8 Melissa August 1, 2008 at 6:25 pm

i love that bowl; esp the birdies! i LOVE birds!!!!

have a good weekend! can’t wait to see your post afterwards!

9 Fit Bottomed Girls August 1, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Have a good one, and can’t wait to hear about your foodie adventures.

Strawberry+chocolate=heaven!

10 Kristie August 1, 2008 at 7:07 pm

I completely love that bowl, it’s so adorable!
I’m totally impressed that you manage to do such regular and thorough updates being as busy as you are! Don’t apologize, feel proud! :)

Can’t wait to read all about your fun foodie filled weekend!

11 fitnessista August 1, 2008 at 8:35 pm

i love your patriotic bowl of oats!!! šŸ˜€
that chocolate-covered strawberry looks so incredibly delicious!

have a great weekend with your cousin! can’t wait to hear about your adventures :)

12 Caroline August 2, 2008 at 12:11 am

That is the cutest bowl ever! I might have to make a trip to Urban Outfitters in the near future…
Seeing your Fannie May chocolate makes me think of Christmas, when my Nana (who lives is Chicago) sends us a box of Fannie Mays and a box of Frangos from Marshall Fields. Yum!
Have fun with your cousin!

13 eatingbirdfood August 2, 2008 at 7:20 am

Have great weekend with your cuz. I am a big fan of Urban Outfitters as well, I love how the little birds are sitting right on top of your oats.

14 Grounded Fitness August 2, 2008 at 2:17 pm

im excited to see the pics!

and i think im going to get subway for lunch- i always forget about it as an option because it think of it as fast food for some reason.

maybe because it always smells like sweaty onions in the place.

15 annaalstondonnelly August 3, 2008 at 8:26 pm

Hope you had a great weekend!
1. I love how you sometimes toss chocolate chips into random things to make whatever you are eating way more fun
2. One of these days I def. need to get Subway. You make it sound so good!

16 fitnessista August 3, 2008 at 9:51 pm

i tried your egg white/ laughing cow combo about 10 minutes ago and it BLEW MY MIND! abso-freaking-lutely delicious :)

17 Katie August 4, 2008 at 1:12 am

Patriotic cereal? Frozen grapes? CHOCOLATE-COVER STRAWBERRIES?!?! I am jealous of your day!

Have fun with your cousin :)

18 Jenn August 4, 2008 at 9:18 am

VeggieGirl ~ Thank you – it was definitely a wonderful weekend!

Sarah ~ The way I eat frozen grapes is by letting them sit in my mouth for a few minutes until they are a little melty, then slowly chewing them and being careful not to give myself a tooth or brain freeze! It’s an interesting process :)

Olga ~ Aw, thanks so much!

Mark ~ Thank you :)

HangryPants ~ Thank you!!

jenngirl ~ It was truly an awesome weekend, hope yours was, too!

Foodie ~ Thank you :)

Melissa ~ Glad you like the bowl! Birds = awesomeness :)

Fit Bottomed Girls ~ I need another chocolate strawberry NOW!

Kristie ~ Thank you so much for your nice comment! I hope you had a great weekend :)

Caroline ~ Our family always has Frango mints at Christmastime! Mm so good!

eatingbirdfood ~ Thanks! :)

Grounded Fitness ~ Yeah, if you can get past the sweaty onion smell, it’s pretty durn tasty!

Anna ~ Thanks so much for your comments and feedback – I’m glad you like my obsession with chocolate chips :)

fitnessista ~ I’m sooooo glad you liked it!!!!

Katie ~ Aw, thanks so much!

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }