We won the gold!

by Jenn (eating bender) on August 8, 2008

Thank you all so much for sending some good luck my way. I totally believe it had something to do with the fact that our team won the competition for the client at work today!

Yes, that’s right. We won the gold!

Well, not really – but I’m watching the opening ceremonies and felt it needed to be mentioned somehow :) Does anyone else feel there is something about Bob Costas’ voice that is just so…comforting? I love listening to him during the Olympics because it’s half the fun!

I am utterly exhausted. I apologize for the craziness and lack of posts this week. I’m officially going to have a much lighter load for the rest of the summer and I am excited to use my extra time to try out some new things with eating bender!

I’ll be back tomorrow morning, but I leave you now with another review!!

Dr. Weil Pure Fruit & Nut Bar

Flavor: Banana Manna

Ingredients: Organic dates, organic dried bananas, organic almonds.

Nutrition Information: 180 calories, 6g fat, 0mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 22g sugar, 3g protein.

Additional Information: Vegan, no added sugars, nothing artificial

Review: I’ve seen these bars for a while now and was always intrigued by the friendly looking man with the long white beard. From looking at the ingredients, they seemed like a slightly less caloric LARABAR because many of the ingredients are similar. Of course, I really like the fact that there are only three ingredients in the entire bar and that there are 4 grams of fiber! As far as texture goes, the bar is chewy and very dense. I could definitely taste the banana flavor – in fact, it reminded me of a slightly less delicious version of my Choconana Pudding Muffins. This comparison does not mean that this bar is anything like a muffin!! But the same flavor was definitely present. Overall, I think it’s very comparable to a LARABAR in both taste and texture – the only real difference being the calorie count.

Get Yours: I’ve seen them at Whole Foods and at my local grocery store, but you can also order them online at the Nature’s Path online store.

1 VeggieGirl August 8, 2008 at 9:29 pm

I KNEW you’d rock that presentation – hooray!!

Hehe, I like Bob Costas voice too :-)

Um, I was totally going to give one of those Dr. Weil Banana Manna bars to you (and our other dinner guest!!) after dinner the other night; but I forgot!! Now they’re back home with me, haha. But hey, you still got to try it, so it’s all good πŸ˜€

2 lindzakins921 August 8, 2008 at 9:36 pm

congrats on winning the “gold” :)

3 All Vegged Out August 8, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Glad things went well today :)

I’ve been dying to try one of these bars, now I know what flavor to start with πŸ˜‰

4 Rose August 8, 2008 at 10:13 pm

I have to say… if I saw that nice bearded fellow, I’d buy that product for sure. :)

5 hangrypants August 8, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Congrats on doing a super job at work and on having a more relaxing August. Thanks for the bar review. They always catch my eye (probably because or Dr. Weil’s face, too – weird, right?). They are less caloric than Larabars, but seem smaller, correct?

– Heather

6 ruby red vegan August 8, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Thanks for the product view! I was looking at those bars at the grocery store just the other day, wondering what they were like. And I love Larabars… So next time I’ll be buying whichever brand is cheaper!

Congrats on the gold! :) Yay.

7 Amy August 9, 2008 at 12:35 am

Quick question. When you eat yogurt with maple syrup or honey you typically say 2 tsp. How do you measure it? It’s suck sticky stuff!

Also, this sounds ridiculous but how do you balance reading and writing a blog with work and school. Food blogs have expanded so much and I love reading them all but it takes so much time! Thanks!

8 oatmeal August 9, 2008 at 11:14 am

Congrats on the win! πŸ˜€

For a second there, I thought that Dr. Weil bar was a Larabar! But then I focused my attention long enough to see the wrapping…

9 Jenn August 9, 2008 at 11:46 am

VeggieGirl ~ Haha, no worries! It always works out in the end πŸ˜‰

Lindz ~ Thank you!

All Vegged Out ~ Can’t go wrong with banana-flavored anything!

Rose ~ Ha! Your comment made me laugh out loud. Thanks :)

Heather ~ Haha, the face just draws everyone in! They are about the same length as a Larabar, but definitely thinner and not quite as dense.

ruby red vegan ~ I’m glad I could provide some help – definitely go for the cheaper one :)

Amy ~ Great questions! As far as the syrup and honey measurements, 2 tsp. is really just an estimate. I just pour the sticky stuff out onto a spoon twice and stir it in. It’s not going to be perfect every time, but I want to provide some sort of measurement so people know how much I’m approximately using!

As for the blog question, it’s definitely not ridiculous at all! Food blogs have definitely expanded rapidly and it can be hard to fit everything in. What I make sure to do is 1) Use Google Reader instead of actually visiting every site, because that allows me to see all my favorites at once and 2) Never let the blog become a chore. If I have too much work or school gets busy, I definitely cut back on the amount of content and the number of times I post (as proven by this week!) It can definitely be a balancing act sometimes, but as long as I’m still having fun with it and not making it stressful for myself, I know I’m balancing the right way! I hope that helps :)

Carmen ~ Haha, thanks!

10 Fit Bottomed Girls August 9, 2008 at 11:49 am

I had no idea Dr. Weil had a bar out. Very cool!

11 Jenn August 9, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Fit Bottomed Girls ~ Yeah! And it has his lovely face on it too – that’s my favorite part :)

12 Betsy August 9, 2008 at 1:30 pm

i love bob costas’ voice-when i hear it i just think olympics=happyness