Food for Thought + 5 New Things…

by Jenn (eating bender) on August 22, 2008

Food for Thought: Bretzel

In honor of my LAST DAY AT THE INTERNSHIP, I wanted to feature a food that has been on my mind – and in my mouth – all week long. If you’ve been reading my blog long enough, you’ll know how much I adore this simple, twisted masterpiece. I had to take advantage of the fact that it was my last week at the office by eating one almost every day! Excessive? Not in the slightest 😉 Delicious? You better believe it, my friend.

Bretzel Fast Facts

• Created in 1477 as the traditional Swabian Bretzel in Germany
  • We know and love them today as pretzels, but bretzel makes it sound more exotic!

You can make bretzel rolls by using this recipe from Recipezaar. Another recipe I found over at smitten kitchen. I have plans to adapt the recipes to make them whole grain when I get home. I will be sure to give you a full update with my own adjustments when I make them!

5 New Things…

I am exhausted. I am tired. I am happy. I am elated.

I am done with my internship.

I know this is a cop out, but I have a busy night ahead of me and I must get back to my to-do list. But don’t worry – that just means you get TEN new things tomorrow! How about that?! Not a bad trade if I do say so myself :) Plus an exciting product review AND the results of my shopping trip with the Whole Foods gift certificate and coupons!!

I hope everyone has been having an enjoyable Friday – welcome to the weekend!

1 VeggieGirl August 22, 2008 at 9:37 pm

YOU’RE DONE!!!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!!!!!! **starts jumping up and down and singing “celebration”**

I went to Whole Foods this morning; but I’m sure that you had more fun than I did, with that nifty gift card!! 😀

VeggieGirl ~ I love the song “Celebration” – haha! And hells yeah Whole Foods!

2 Rose August 22, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Hooray for successfully completing your internship!!

Rose ~ Thanks!

3 HangryPants August 22, 2008 at 10:05 pm

Bretzel certainly sounds more exotic. I was convinced it was a fancy Chicago food!

Congrats on being done with the internship.

HangryPants ~ Haha, glad I was able to fool you into thinking I was having some exotic food 😉

4 Aimee August 23, 2008 at 8:51 am

I too would have had one of those Bretzels most days my last week. They look so good, that I understand they would be missed 😉

Aimee ~
I’m so glad you can understand 😉 I’m in bretzel withdrawal already!!

5 wholefoodswholeme August 23, 2008 at 9:45 am

great job for finishing! i hope you have a good trip to WF to celebrate :) haha, what foodies do to commemorate :p you make me want to try those bretzels so much!! i should try and make it myself – my sister LOVES big pretzels so all the more reason to!

wholefoodswholeme ~ Thanks! Trips to the grocery store are so what I would consider a “celebration” – and let me know if you try those bretzels!

6 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) August 23, 2008 at 9:57 am

Congrats on being done with your internship!

Mmmm, pretzels! Now I’m craving one! I can’t wait for your full update when you make them at home!

Foodie ~ Thanks so much!

7 jenngirl August 23, 2008 at 10:03 am

ah, the weekend is always welcome here. congrats on the conclusion of your internship, that’s exciting! can’t wait for the whole grain bretzel review, i’m so intrigued by them! haha have fun at Whole Foods, i’m super jealous 😉

jenngirl ~ Thank you!

8 eatingbirdfood August 23, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I can’t wait to see the results of the Whole Foods shopping spree!

eatingbirdfood ~
Just posted! It was a fun trip, for sure!

9 twinksy August 23, 2008 at 6:38 pm

I got french onion laughing cow at Costco yesterday, and I am SOOOO excited to use them in eggies, a la YOU!

twinksy ~ Amazing! I’m going to have to look for that version next time I’m at Costco!! I’m so glad that you’re inspired by my “recipe” hehe :)

10 Katie August 23, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Yay! Product review!

Because of your praise for Key Lime Pie Lara Bars, I bought one this afternoon. (My first Lara Bar!) I can’t wait to try it.

Katie ~ I’m so glad to hear you bought one!! Be sure to let me know what you think!!

11 Erica August 24, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Aw! Congrats! Enjoy your time off before you have to go back to the grind :) Thanks for the Breztel recipes! I need to make these!

Erica ~ Thanks so much – and I hope you try those bretzels because I’d love to see your result!

12 burpexcuzme March 28, 2009 at 12:40 pm

YAAAAY!!! you’re DONE! congrats!! I’m sure you got a lot out of that experience! can’t wait for you next post with all those tentalizing previews…mm!
btw, do you have an idea of when we will kick-start that awesome book club of yours?