Mish Mosh: Food is Fun

by Jenn (eating bender) on August 25, 2008

It has been a loong day! Between taking my brother to school and getting some much needed errands done with my mom (my parents are in the process of building a new house and my mom is using my time here to get my opinion on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING – ha!), I am one tired girl! By the way, thanks for all the well wishes for my bro – his first day apparently went great, and it looks like it will be a fun year!

I’ve decided to combine the Mish Mosh with 5 New Things… on Mondays because really, they are very similar! Today I have a lot of food-related goodies to share!

First of all, this morning I was The World’s Greatest Sister – see how not modest I am? – because I made my bro his favorite morning meal: chocolate chip pancakes! I used Arrowhead Mills Chocolate Chip Multigrain Pancake Mix (because after all, I am still a lazy cook!) to make two medium-sized pancakes on the griddle.

This mix made my life so much easier! It literally took maybe two minutes to make the batter and once they were on the griddle, it was all downhill.

And the final product wasn’t too shabby taste-wise – I managed to sneak a bite and they tasted ooey gooey and chocolately – yum!

Secondly, my mom has discovered an amazing new topping for Coffee Cocoa! It’s called Coffeehouse Classics FΓ•AM! and it attempts to mimic the cappuccino foam effect. She found it at our giant Whole Foods – I have yet to see it in my store, but plan on requesting it when I get home!

It shoots out like whipped cream, but within seconds it turns into a frothy delight!

Next, how about some link love? Better yet – how about some pet health news? Have you heard about Yoda, the four-eared feline?! The owners hail from the Chicago area, which makes them extra cool πŸ˜‰ I just can’t get over that picture of Yoda – how amazing is that?!

Onto number four, another link that I just recently found out about. I may be late on the bandwagon here, but just in case you haven’t heard of it, I wanted to share my newfound favorite recipe site, Cookthink. It allows you to type in the foods you’re craving or have on hand in your kitchen, then gives you a list of several recipes that incorporate that food as an ingredient. So for example, next time you get a hankering for peanut butter – and honestly, I always have a hankering for good ol’ PB! – you can type it into the search and this list of recipes will pop up – so cool!

And finally, I think I may have tasted the best topping on Greek yogurt yet – Clif Chocolate Brownie ZBaRs! The idea originally came from Melissa over at Trying to Heal, who has crumbled ZBaRs into several different concoctions in many of her posts. The one I created today was simple: Chobani plain Greek yogurt and a Chocolate Brownie crumbled topping. I was able to get a little of each part in every bite, and let me tell you – I will be having this over and over again!

I can’t wait to play around with both the flavor of the yogurt and the flavor of the ZBaR – oh the possibilities!!

Have a great night everyone – and a tee-rific Tuesday!

1 Nicole August 25, 2008 at 11:44 pm

Chocolate chip pancakes! I haven’t had some in SO LONG. Brings me back, let me tell you!

I do very much enjoy the chocolate brownie zbars, I bet they’d be delicious crumbled on lots of different things too! Maybe oatmeal?

Nicole ~
Yes, I bet they would be amazing crumbled into oatmeal!!

2 Melissa August 25, 2008 at 11:48 pm

thanks so much for the recognition; and that zbar in the chobani looks soooooooooooooooooooo good! why can’t i have chobani out here in socal!! dangit i’m jealous!

and you’re such a great sister to make your brother pancakes for breakfast! every time i go home i try to make my brother’s cheesecake since they love it so much and i make all the weird kinds…:D

have a greatttttt Tuesday!

Melissa ~
Of course – it was your genius idea, after all!! Haha, I’d love to try your cheesecake!

3 twinksy August 26, 2008 at 12:39 am

That foam looks superfab…

twinksy ~ It IS superfab :)

4 MizFit August 26, 2008 at 5:31 am

damn you were the worlds greatest sister.

I need to git MY sister on that STAT.

MizFit ~ Put her to work!

5 Erin August 26, 2008 at 7:10 am

Wow! Will you be my sister Jenn? :)
That yogurt + ZBar combo looks like a great dessert! Good idea!

Erin ~
Sure! We can be blog sisters – so sweet! πŸ˜‰

6 Christie I August 26, 2008 at 7:36 am

MMMM…chocolate chips pancakes!!

Christie I ~ I agree!

7 Erica August 26, 2008 at 7:39 am

Froth in a can? I love it! I might need to buy this- it will make me feel like I’m at starbucks every day! You are such a great sister for making your bro breakfast- I hope he realizes how lucky he is to have you! Whats the plan for today?

Erica ~ Froth in a can is one of the better inventions of the year :) And I hope he realizes how lucky he is, too!!

8 VeggieGirl August 26, 2008 at 7:53 am

WHEW you did have a long day – hope you had a good night’s rest after all that!!

Aww, you’re so sweet to make a pancake breakfast!! And WOW, those pancakes are perfectly formed – you’ve got skills!! πŸ˜€

VeggieGirl ~ I did have a good night’s rest :) And thanks!

9 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) August 26, 2008 at 7:58 am

Aww, how nice of you to make your brother pancakes! I’m so glad his first day of school went well!

Crumbling the brownie bar over yogurt sounds awesome!

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) ~ Yay! Thanks :)

10 Rose August 26, 2008 at 7:59 am

Brownie + Yogurt… Oh my, why haven’t I thought of doing this before? GREAT IDEA.

Love the post, as always :)

Rose ~ Aw, thank you :)

11 Aimee August 26, 2008 at 8:07 am

That coffee topping and the pancake mix look like great products that I need to try!

Thanks for the reviews!!

Aimee ~ No problemo – definitely try ’em if you can find ’em!

12 Danielle August 26, 2008 at 8:26 am

If my sister made me pancakes I would not question her new title as “World’s Greatest Sister, ” they look incredible!

And that brownie and yogurt mix. Yum, yum, yum. My list of foods I need to eat when I get home basically grows every time I come by your blog :).

Danielle ~
Haha, thanks! I’m glad I can help build your list :)

13 fitnessista August 26, 2008 at 8:46 am

you ARE such a nice sister! i liked making breakfast for my brothers, too– until one of them became a chef… my french toast just doesn’t compare!
that foam looks AMAZING! it’s gonna be tricky to find that stuff is southern georgia, but i’m totally going to try!
z-bar + chobani= match made in heaven :)

fitnessista ~ Oooh yeah, don’t think I could make breakfast for a CHEF!!!

14 Megan August 26, 2008 at 9:36 am

I have tried that froth and love it! I got it at my Central Market. I like the z-bar crumbled into the yogurt. I have been wanting to try z-bar crumbled into my oatmeal!

Megan ~ Yay! I’m glad someone else has tried the froth! And I definitely want to try that with my oatmeal, too!

15 HeatherBakes August 26, 2008 at 9:36 am

Aww, what a great sister!

Wow, your post was filled with cool stuff I want to try: the Z bar topping, the cappuccino, and that Cookthink site… thanks for all the suggestions!

HeatherBakes ~ No problem! Glad you liked them :)

16 Fitzalan August 26, 2008 at 10:38 am

hmmm, I am thinking I will steal that zbar/greek yogurt idea. Friday morning I need am early, portable yet filling post-workout breakfast, and I think that may be the perfect one! Thanks!

Fitzalan ~ Good!! Let me know what you think!

17 Fitzalan August 26, 2008 at 10:39 am

Ugh, I really need to get better at proof reading before I click send!!!

Haha :)

18 Christie August 26, 2008 at 11:29 am

If you take the chobani yogrts and crumble is a mini cliff and some nute it is to die for… I had that one night instead of the sugary treats everyone else was having and i felt completly satisified!

Christie ~ Yum! Yeah, it’s amazing how some desserts can taste so much like the “real deal”

19 eatingbirdfood August 26, 2008 at 12:02 pm

The froth in a can looks fabulous. I want to find that stuff. And the z-bar yogurt combo looks pretty good as well.

eatingbirdfood ~ Try to find ’em – they’re both worth it!

20 glidingcalm August 26, 2008 at 12:31 pm

wowie! look at you Mrs. Perfect Pancakes! I hope your bro gave you a BIG thank you hug.

Love the chobani and coffee topping too!!

Have an awesome Tuesday, Jenn!!!

glidingcalm ~ He did :) Thanks!

21 HangryPants August 26, 2008 at 12:42 pm

You are a great big sister. I have a first day of school coming up, so feel free to come over.

I Definity coin to look for that cream thing at whole foods today!

HangryPants ~ Haha, ok I’ll book the flight today πŸ˜‰

22 april August 26, 2008 at 2:33 pm

I love yogurt but unfortunetly i like the sweetened versions like yoplait. I really want to learn to like plain yogurt, but it tastes so gross to me! did you always like plain or did you become used to it? any suggestions? thanks πŸ˜€

april ~ I actually used to DESPISE plain yogurt. I found the only way I could eat it and enjoy it is by adding something sweet (such as a brownie ZBaR!!) and making sure to get sweetness in every bite. After a while, I’ve started getting used to the taste and actually can handle it by itself. I just like it so much more because it has less sugar and much more protein – and as long as I have some maple syrup, fruit, or other sweet treat in there, I know I won’t gag πŸ˜‰

23 Fit Bottomed Girls August 26, 2008 at 3:08 pm

I want that foam. I NEED that foam.

Fit Bottomed Girls ~ I can’t live without that foam! πŸ˜‰

24 Sarah August 26, 2008 at 6:19 pm

thanks so much for that cookthink link! i’d never heard of it before–it’s such a cool site! i actually used it to come up with dinner tonight—expect a shout-out in my post : )

Sarah ~ Yay! I was so glad to hear that someone enjoyed the link!! And what you created with it was stellar!

25 Kristie August 26, 2008 at 9:19 pm

That foam is SO cool! Never seen anything like it!

Thanks for the heads up on the awesome site too! I’ll have to keep checking that one out often, it seems easy to use and so darn convenient.

LOVE the yogurt snack idea too. OH my yum.

Kristie ~ I hadn’t either! My mom was so excited to show ME something new!

26 All Vegged Out August 27, 2008 at 8:19 am

Awww you’re such a good sis!

What an awesome addition to coffee cocoa, yum!

P.S. I’m have greek yogurt and a z bar brownie as I type πŸ˜‰

All Vegged Out ~ Yay, I’m glad you tried it!

27 Leslie September 3, 2008 at 11:02 am

I love that foam! You probably know this, but you are actually supposed to nuke it in the micro for a few seconds (like 15-20) and it expands into inches of fluffy foamy goodness! OOOOOHHHH YAAAA :)

Leslie ~ I actually didn’t know that – silly me for not reading the can πŸ˜‰ I tried it this morning – OOOOOOOHHH YAAAA is right!!