Another new breakfast.

by Jenn (eating bender) on September 19, 2008

I’m going to stick to posting new meals here and there these next few days, as I want to spend as much time with my family as possible before I (sniff, sniff) head back to school this weekend. Yesterday we played some golf – I know, you’re shocked – since my brother got out of school early, and today my mom and I are planning to go see The Women. I’ve heard it’s not incredible, but a good chick flick nonetheless, so I think we’ll have a good time.

My breakfast this morning was all thanks to Sarah over at Our Kitchen Adventures – who, if you haven’t heard, is back and blogging again! I’m so glad! I know overnight oats are nothing new, but I had never tried them, and since I have always liked Sarah’s suggestions, I went for it!

Last night, I mixed 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup water and 1 tbsp. ground flax in a bowl and let it sit in the refridgerator.

This morning, I added a container of Oikos plain Greek yogurt, a sliced banana, 1/2 tbsp. of Better ‘n Peanut Butter and 1 tsp. maple syrup. The result was a creamy, cool bowl of goodness.

Heaven. In a bowl. Seriously, this was so easy to make! It’s wonderful to wake up and have breakfast ready and waiting for you. It’s going to come in very handy on days where I’m rushing.

Although, can I tell you something and have you promise not to hate me? Ok, good :) Well…see, I probably won’t be rushing very often this fall because I don’t have class Monday, Wednesday, or Friday

Now if only the working world could be that way. I need to find a job with a two-day workweek, and fast 😉 Kidding, everyone! But I just had to share the excitement because it’s honestly a first for me. I’ve spent my entire college career overloading courses and taking too many classes with heavy workloads simultaneously. It’s the first time I’m giving myself a break. The perfectionist in me is, of course, a little uneasy about the choice, but overall – I CAN’T WAIT.

Hey, I guess that means more consistent blogging, right?!

Ok, rambling over and done with. For now 😉 I’ll be back later, after the movie!

1 Christie I September 19, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I love overnight oats, it is one of my favorite breakfast. Especially on morning that I work out, it really helps cool me down.

Yay for the course schedule!

2 VeggieGirl September 19, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Hooray for golfing and a decent chick flick!! 😉

Heaven in a bowl, for sure!! I’m mesmerized by that maple syrup swirl in your oats.

NO CLASSES ON MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, OR FRIDAY!??!?!?! You’re lucky that I could never hate you, Miss Jenn, because otherwise I seriously would, haha. Enjoy the nice/lax class schedule for me!! And of COURSE good luck with your work schedule!!

3 Andrea September 19, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Yea for classes only two days a week! During all my college years, I only was able to do that once – so cherish it! I’m sure I don’t have to tell you this, but cherish your last few days at home too!
I don’t know what you said, but you’ve totally inspired me to try the overnight oats. It hasn’t sounded appealing to me until today. Thanks!

4 ChocolateCoveredVegan September 19, 2008 at 3:42 pm

mmmmm oatmeal! P.S. Have you tried the chocolate bpb? My mom bought some, and I snagged a taste… ohmygosh, it tastes like eating chocolate frosting!

5 Olga September 19, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Oh MAN that oatmeal looks delish! I’ve never tried overnight oats either, but now I think I will!

Good schedule =] I don’t have classes on Fridays and Wed either, plus only 1 class on Mondays. woohoo

6 Sarah September 19, 2008 at 3:57 pm

man, i thought i was living the good life with no friday classes, but no mwf—omg. that’s a 4 day weekend! i’m pretty sure that means you need to make a trip out to boston….

i’m so glad you liked the overnight oats—i wish i could take credit for them, but i definitely stole the idea from all the other wonderful bloggers out there. i’m going to try adding peanut butter to mine next time!!

have a great day jenn! enjoy the movie, i love cheesy chick flicks like that!

7 HeatherBakes September 19, 2008 at 5:18 pm

Congrats on your sweet schedule this fall!

And please let us know how you like the movie- I really want to see it but have been scared off by the reviews…

Have a great weekend!

8 Fit Bottomed Girls September 19, 2008 at 5:19 pm

I would love that schedule! So jealous!

I saw that movie and it was ehhh…lets just say that if you go with really low expectations, you’ll enjoy it. 😉

9 oatmeal September 19, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Muesli = UNBELIEVABLE with yogurt and banana! So glad you decided to give overnight oats a try–a lot less hassle, no additional pots to clean, and you get the feel of cold cereal and oats at the same time! Yay 😀

NO CLASSES THREE DAYS OF THE WEEK?! How is this possible?! Either your Tuesdays and Thursdays are absolutely horrible, or you’re just really good at spacing out courses!

But yay for more blog entries! 😀

10 Melissa S. September 19, 2008 at 6:04 pm

omg so jealous!!!! only TTH?!??!?!?! i still remember having 5 hr labs on friday afternoons/evenings…that totally sucked!!!!

spend time w/ your family and have a great time!!!!

11 jenngirl September 19, 2008 at 7:28 pm

Oh you lucky lucky girl!! That’s a dream schedule, but you will have so much YOU time it will be wonderful.

Enjoy your fam these next couple of days, I know how it feels to want to get that time in! :)

12 Erin September 19, 2008 at 7:51 pm

You completely deserve to have the most chillaxin’ senior year possible!
So happy that means more blog posts because yours are the best. :)
Look at you on the right side of your page with your cute face, you top health blogger! I love it!

13 Megan September 19, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Your overnight oats look delicious! I love Better ‘n Peanut Butter. I haven’t had it in a long time! Enjoy your time with your family!

14 Julz September 19, 2008 at 11:29 pm

15 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) September 20, 2008 at 12:22 am

I haven’t tried overnight oats yet, but it looks good and simple so I think I’ll give it a try soon!

16 eatingbirdfood September 20, 2008 at 12:25 am

I still haven’t tried the overnight oats either. I totally want to get out of bed right now and make them for the morning. Probably not going to happen so I’ll have to shoot for tomorrow.

17 Maureen September 20, 2008 at 8:16 am

That breakfast looks to die for. I’m quite envious of your course schedule!

18 Rose September 20, 2008 at 10:02 am

Yummy with the overnight oats. And I’ll have to wonder over to Sarah’s blog.. I didn’t know she started blogging again.

Of course I am totally jealous… but I remember having a schedule like that at one point senior year (I swear I only took three classes for some reason)… and you definitely deserve it! I did the same thing in college – overloading myself the whole way through. It’ll be nice for your senior year to be like this.

19 Juliet September 20, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Wow. That looks so good. Thanks for the lovely picture which brings it to life and is probably the reason I’m going to make this next week. :)

Enjoy your fabulous school schedule! I am envious!

20 Caroline September 20, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Those oats look awesome! I have always soaked mine in soymilk the night before, but maybe I should try your method with water and add yogurt. YUM.
PS I am SO jealous of your class schedule!

21 wholefoodswholeme September 21, 2008 at 3:07 pm

i love overnight oats!! i think i’ll make it less in the coming weeks since it always cools me down a bit though. and i’m the same as you – have 3 days a week of no classes 😀 woop!

22 Erica September 21, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Enjoy your time with your family! That is so exciting that you only have school two days a week!! Are you going to get a part time job too or just live it up?

23 fitnessista September 21, 2008 at 9:24 pm

ooooh i’ve gotta try that oat combo!
3 days of class is perfect– that’s usually what my schedule was, too 😀
can’t wait to hear what you think of the movie!