Blogger Secret Ingredient!

by Jenn (eating bender) on September 29, 2008

The lovely ladies Erin and Andrea of Care to Eat have passed me the Blogger Secret Ingredient torch! I couldn’t be more thrilled and the timing couldn’t be more perfect! This afternoon I was shopping at Whole Foods (!!) and I picked up something I’ve never bought before on sale. And now I HAVE to use it somehow!

Let’s break it down Wheel of Fortune style, shall we? Oh, did I ever tell you that I met Vanna and Pat?! My roomie and I got backstage access to the College Week last year for a broadcast journalism story!

Anyway, back to the real deal…

The category is: FOOD.

R-S-T-L-N-E are in the puzzle.

_ _ TTERN _ T        S _ _ _ S _

Man, I need to get better at these puzzles because this one looks like it should be pretty easy to solve! Alright then, three more consonants and a vowel.

Hm…B? Q? H? And a vowel? Er…U?

He’s ready for his close-up!!

That’s right, this week’s Blogger Secret Ingredient is Mr. Butternut Squash!

I’ve never even TRIED butternut squash before, let alone cooked with it, so this should be interesting! I hope that it’s an interesting choice for all of you, too, and that you will want to participate!!

So here’s the dealio: if you want to submit an entry, please link back to my site and, if you can, send me an email at or write in the comments section of one of my posts. That way I can ensure that no recipe goes un-bookmarked! Also, any non-blogger is welcome to submit an entry via email!!

I really liked Erin and Andrea’s idea for having a prize – and get this, I have EVEN MORE good news and perfect timing!

Last week, I was contacted by a PR professional representing Quaker who is sending me some new products to sample: Quaker High Fiber Instant Oatmeal and Quaker High Fiber Oatmeal To Go! The best part is, she told me I could hold a contest and give the winners some samples of their own.

Hm…now where could I find a contest…

I know it’s around here somewhere…

Ooh! I know! The Blogger Secret Ingredient contest!! So this weekend, I will go over all of the entries with my loyal judge Bobby and come up with a winner who will receive Quaker samples! How does that sound??

I’m in a ridiculously silly mood right now, but I am just so pumped and hope that you will be, too!! I hope you have all had a great day – I’ll be back tomorrow morning!

Sweet dreams :mrgreen:

1 Meghann September 29, 2008 at 8:36 pm

I was actually hoping you would pick butternut squash! I just bought one this weekend and have been toying with what to do with it, I guess its time to get creative!

2 VeggieGirl September 29, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Hooray for YOU being the next blogger in charge of the secret ingredient challenge; and hooray for BUTTERNUT SQUASH!!! Excellent choice, my friend :-)

YOU’VE NEVER TRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH!?!??!! Holy goodness, you’re going to love it – it’s deeeelish.

Free samples??? How fun!!

Haha, love silly moods 😀

Enjoy your evening!!

3 Olga September 29, 2008 at 8:45 pm

I just bought some butternut squash!!! YES!

Awesome ingredient. It’s so good, I can’t believe you’ve never had it!

Alright samples =]

4 Laura September 29, 2008 at 8:47 pm

R-S-T-L-N-E Just know that made me laugh. :)

I can’t believe you’ve never had butternut squash either. Yay for trying new things! You will not be disappointed!

5 Fit Bottomed Girls September 29, 2008 at 8:50 pm

This sounds really fun. What a cool idea! Butternut squash is the best! Although it looks rather, er, male? Feel free to delete my gutter-minded comment. lol.

6 Nicole September 29, 2008 at 9:04 pm

I loooooove butternut squash! I have two of them that are ready to be eaten!

7 lexisuzanne September 29, 2008 at 9:13 pm

HI! im new to the wordpress blogging and had a question. how do you get your photos to go down? everytime i try to post a bunch of pictures it puts it in a gallery all next to eachother! can you please help me?

8 Melissa S. September 29, 2008 at 9:14 pm

YAY!!!!! I just discovered butternut squash a few months ago but i’ve never cooked it from the raw…i’m excited! GREAT CHOICE!

and yay for prizes!!!

9 Sarah September 29, 2008 at 9:16 pm

hahah is that butternut squash in your BED?!? haha, even better than a teddy bear!

I sadly won’t be able to participate in this contest because of my lack of sufficient kitchen but for someone looking for an (uncreative) idea—butternut squash fries are AMAZING. A total PAIN to make (cutting into a butternut squash takes some mad skills) but totally worth it because it is out of this world yummmm.

10 fitnessista September 29, 2008 at 9:32 pm

yeeahh i was HOPING this would be a secret ingredient! you read my mind, friend!
i’ve never had it or cooked with it before, so i’m way excited to experiment with it!
the samples sound like excellent motivation….
have a wonderful night!

11 Hangry Pants September 29, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Cool! I hope I can think of something.

12 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) September 29, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Oooh, butternut squash! Yum! Will try to make a recipe using it this week!

13 glidingcalm September 29, 2008 at 10:21 pm

wahoo! when are these recipes due again?!

14 ttfn300 September 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm

haha, i was thinking/hoping it would be squash! I am cooking up some spaghetti squash tomorrow, but i’ll have to get me some butternut. i love it, can’t wait for you to try it!!!

15 jenngirl September 29, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Aw fun Jenn! I’ve NEVER tried butternut squash EVER, so this contest will be fun to watch unfold! Glad you ended the night on such a giddy note 😉

16 Andrea September 29, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Yea! We almost considered butternut squash when I picked apples! I’ve had b.squash lots of times, but only made it myself once – it is a bitch to cut but sooooo worth it! Knowing how much you like sweet potatoes, I KNOW you’ll love b.squash.

17 Andrea September 29, 2008 at 11:18 pm

p.s. I’m totally jealous that you got to go to a WOF taping! It’s been my dream since I was a little girl to be on that show – no joke. I’m freakishly good at it.

18 maggie September 29, 2008 at 11:21 pm

SWEET!!!!!! I think this is my favorite vegetable. My boyfriend even got it for me for my birthday, that’s how obsessed I am. I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

19 Christie September 30, 2008 at 5:29 am

Very excited abotu the secret ingredient…. and great Idea with the quacker samples.. I had no idea they had these new products.. i must be slacking hhah

20 oatmeal September 30, 2008 at 5:30 am

Oooo great choice!! Sadly I don’t have equipments or kitchen space to cook this! [Although if the caf decides to serve squash, then I’m in luck!]But I can’t wait to see what other people [and you] will come up with!!

21 eatingbirdfood September 30, 2008 at 6:42 am

I totally wan to compete this time, especially if it means I might win some oatmeal!

22 eatingbirdfood September 30, 2008 at 6:45 am

Also, your butternut squash looks like he is posing seductively on a bed.. or is that your couch?

23 lauren September 30, 2008 at 7:11 am

yess – i can do this one – Have a recipe that I make every fall anyways – cant wait!

24 Rose September 30, 2008 at 8:29 am

Woo Woo! Great call – I better go get one!

25 HeatherBakes September 30, 2008 at 9:07 am

Great choice! Butternut squash is so versatile. But be careful cutting it up!! I speak from experience here- ouch.

26 Erica September 30, 2008 at 10:32 am

Great pic! I’m not sure with moving that I will have time to participate, but I am going to try! You were the perfect pick for the next challenge!

27 Erin September 30, 2008 at 10:54 am

YAY! YAY! I’ve never made it before, so this really will be a challenge!

28 HangryPants September 30, 2008 at 11:59 am

Good idea about donating our clothes. Pick a date! It will be so theraputic to do it altogther.

29 magpie October 4, 2008 at 10:42 pm