Quick and Easy + Double Delight!

by Jenn (eating bender) on October 14, 2008

It’s wonderful having Monday, Wednesday and Friday off – but that means Tuesdays are looong! Especially when I wake up at 6:00 to squeeze in a workout amongst the busyness. Good thing I can sleep in tomorrow šŸ˜‰ Yes, I know I have no right to rant.

Rant over.

The good news about the craziness is that I’ve learned to rely on a lot of soup. Specifically, soups that are on sale in boxes that come in many flavors and tastes.

One of my most recent finds is the Imagine Organic Light in Sodium line. This version is so new, in fact, that I was unable to find it on the website, though here’s a link to some of their other organic soups. I picked up a few different boxes, and so far have made my way through the Creamy Harvest Corn Soup.

I’m a big fan of corn chowder, so I thought this flavor would be a good one. I combined roughly 1.5 cups with a handful of sun dried tomatoes and spinach before heating it up in the microwave for 2 minutes. When it started to bubble, I topped it all with fat free feta cheese. Quick and easy. We’re talking 5 minutes, if that.

The end result was warm, creamy and delicious. It might not be as good as corn chowder when it’s made from scratch, but considering all I had to do was pull off a lid and pour it into a bowl – Lazy Chef style – I’m pretty satisfied! And considering it’s 110 calories per cup with 50% less sodium than most soups, it’s easy – and quick…did I mention quick? – to go back for more!

Tonight, I was in the mood to do some simple baking. I looked over some past recipes and decided to go with a breakfast option that I could easily freeze and bring out when I was in the mood for something – you guessed it – quick and easy. I made my ChocoNut Baked Oatmeal for the second time ever.

I love this recipe. It literally takes another 5 minutes (are you starting to see a trend here?) to prepare and then you can just stick it in the oven and go about your business. You can either divide it into larger, breakfast-sized servings or cut it into smaller pieces for a snack. I like to eat it for breakfast and top it with nut butter or jam. Here’s an example from the last time I made it – aw, that post from April brings back fond memories of the early days of the blog!! Heck, even Bobby commented back then šŸ˜‰ I’ll be sure to include more up to date pictures when I try it this time around!

Nutrition Information (1/4 of pan):

• 160 calories
  • 3g fat
  • 26g carbohydrates
  • 3g fiber
  • 7g protein

This morning I was greeted by the UPS man…

I was so excited to receive a box of samples from Chobani! I’m familiar with some of their flavors but not all, so I can’t wait to do an official review. Big thank you to Tiffany from Chobani for sending me such an impressive set of samples to try!

After a full day of classes, it was lovely to come home to another package from FedEx

This one was filled with new samples from Arnold/Brownberry Breads, specifically from their new “Grains & More” line. I can’t wait to try new bread – I love bread!! Big thank you to Rena from Arnold/Brownberry Breads. I will be sure to let you know once the official review has been posted!

I came across this page on the MSNBC site that lists 10 ways to “pick up the pace” when you’re having one of those days where you just have absolutely no energy. I know there are plenty of days that I feel like I’m moving in slow motion, and although I had heard most of these tips before, there were still some that were new to me, such as my tendency to “binge” on sleep on the weekends or my INCREDIBLY messy desk. They are so right – I get stressed just looking at it! If you have time, take a look at the list and let me know your thoughts. Do any of these tips stick out?

1 Andrea October 14, 2008 at 10:29 pm

i seriously want to start a blog so i can get free chobani delivered to my dorm šŸ˜‰ hahah. love this post! i like quick & easy AND delicious meals..so thanks!!

Andrea ~ Haha, free samples are definitely one of the best perks!

2 magpie October 14, 2008 at 10:32 pm

I totally agree with the breakfast one, the messy desk one, and the routine one – all of those things can make or break my day. Good article!

magpie ~ Agreed. Thank you!

3 blueberryhil October 14, 2008 at 10:35 pm

That baked oatmeal looks great! I’m on an oatmeal kick now that the weather is cooler, so I will have to try that!

blueberryhil ~ Let me know what you think if you do!

4 Marianne October 14, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Your baked oatmeal looks awesome. I’ll have to give that a try one of these days – and it would be so easy to mix up the flavours.

Love the samples as well!

Marianne ~ Thank you! Definitely give it a try šŸ˜‰

5 jenngirl October 14, 2008 at 10:59 pm

That bowl of warm, creamy soups sure does sound good. I’m glad you satisfied your baking need, those bars sound good, and convenient, I definitely want to try them…haha I’m seeing trend of picking up all of my tips from you lately :)

Yay for samples! Isn’t it great to see the UPS man first thing in the morning, bearing delicious treats? I know it started my day right.

Have a great night/day!

jenngirl ~ Hehe, I’m glad that you like my tips – that’s why I like blogging!! And yes, the UPS man is a sight for sore eyes šŸ˜‰

6 Melissa S. October 14, 2008 at 11:05 pm

Mmm! Baked oatmeal! i’m def going to need to try that!

and why can’t i get the ups man to come to my door like that?!? so jealous…..hehe!

have a great night!

Melissa S. ~
I’ll dress up as a UPS man for Halloween šŸ˜‰

7 linds October 14, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Oooh enjoy the Chobani presents!

linds ~ Thanks!

8 Hangry Pants October 15, 2008 at 5:35 am

Aw yay for blog nostalgia. I hope you enjoy your oatmeal the second time around and your freebies (so jealous!)

I didn’t know my messy desk was draining me, but I did know it was annoying me!

Heather ~ Yes, the messy desk is definitely more annoying than anything!!

9 Danielle October 15, 2008 at 5:45 am

Enjoy your day off girlie you deserve it! :)

Great looking soup… and baked oatmeal… and ciobani and bread treats… you’re a lucky, lucky girl!

Danielle ~ Thanks :)

10 glidingcalm October 15, 2008 at 6:16 am

Chobani and BREAD samples? What a lovely day!!

That soup sounds interesting…maybe I’ll have to give it a whirl. I mean, a taste test. Gosh… commenting on Jenn’s blog at 5:45am everyday creates some ridiculous comments sometimes.

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!!!

glidingcalm ~ Haha, I love your comments always girlie :)

11 Jordan October 15, 2008 at 7:12 am

Mmm, I love Arnold’s breads.

Jordan ~ Me too!!

12 MizFit October 15, 2008 at 7:19 am

okay. I SO NEED TO GET OFF MY ARSE and try the baked oatmeal.
that looks so GOOD!

MizFit ~ Haha please do! And let me know what ya think!

13 Beadie October 15, 2008 at 7:23 am

That soup looks great! I don’t think I have ever seen that brand at all. I always see the Pacific Foods brand.

The baked oatmeal looks great!

Yay for free samples. I think I am the only blogger that doesn’t get free samples :(

Beadie ~ I replied about this on your last post šŸ˜‰

14 ChocolateCoveredVegan October 15, 2008 at 7:24 am

I NEED to try baned oatmeal, since I love it in seemingly every other form… maybe when I get tired of my blended-oatmeal craze, I’ll move on to a new one :o)

CCV ~ Haha, but I don’t see how you could EVER tire of blended oatmeal! It always looks so incredible!

15 rhodeygirltests October 15, 2008 at 7:25 am

yum yum yum! that soup looks really good, although I always hesitate to buy readymade soups.. I usually prefer to make a big batch and freeze individual portions to use at a later time… but this looks really good!

have a super day!

rhodeygirltests ~ I would definitely make more homemade soups if I could. Maybe I’ll force myself to do it on the weekends šŸ˜‰

16 Nicole October 15, 2008 at 7:25 am

Woah! What a fabulous surprise to find those packages:)

Nicole ~ Yes, it was fabulous!!

17 gina (fitnessista) October 15, 2008 at 7:33 am

OOOH i love when the sample fairy comes!!
let us know how you like the bread– i LOVE that they put double protein in there šŸ˜€
the soup looks wonderful, too. not a huge fan of corn but i think i could handle the soup (and at 110 calories, i think i’m a fan).
i have to make that baked oatmeal! it looks delicious!
happy wednesday!

gina ~ I love the sample fairy!

18 VeggieGirl October 15, 2008 at 7:44 am

The corn chowder looks great; but that baked oatmeal looks PHENOMENAL!!! Did you remember to freeze a portion for me???? šŸ˜‰

So fun to receive free samples!!

Great list of ways to “pick up the pace” – the outfit one made me laugh, since I HAVE to wear heels for dance practice for hours, haha šŸ˜€

Enjoy your day off, girl!!! You deserve it after that loooooooooong Tuesday!!

VeggieGirl ~ Haha, I’ve got it ready and waiting for you next time you’re in Chicago šŸ˜‰

19 Erin October 15, 2008 at 7:47 am

First things first. You have every right to rant!
Second: Nice hook up f/ Chobani and the bread peeps! I don’t think they sell that bread in Texas. I’ve never seen it.
And last: those bars look awesome! I need to get some baking in over the wknd.
Love to love ya!

Erin ~ Haha, love to love ya!! And you’re right about the rant…I’ll make sure to extend it next time just for you šŸ˜‰

20 Rose October 15, 2008 at 8:06 am

I love reading your posts, Jenn! They are always jam-packed with good info (like the link to the slo-mo article), and I especially loved today’s 5-minute recipes. I am always in a pinch for time, so this is certainly helpful!

Rose ~ Well, I love reading YOUR posts, so we seem to be in equilibrium :) Haha, I am SUCH a nerd.

21 Kristie October 15, 2008 at 8:20 am

I’ve never tried corn chowder. You are so pro at the tasty soup mix-ins though that you are making me more than tempted to run out and buy some.

That baked oatmeal looks delightful. I think I’ve only ever made baked oatmeal once but it was SO good. Why do I not do this more often? It’s so easy, there just isn’t an excuse for the lack of baked oatmeal consumption. I don’t have any chocolate almond milk though… sigh. I guess I’ll have to make do with the regular!

Imma take a look at that picker-up list right now. I could certainly use some good energy tips… since sleep hasn’t been the highest on my list of priorities lately… snore.

Kristie ~ You get that corn chowda!! And make some baked oatmeal, pronto!! šŸ˜‰

22 Meghann October 15, 2008 at 8:35 am

Wow you had a fun day of goodies!! I want free Chobani and bread. :) I love the double protein their advertising on the bag. That’s way I won’t feel like I need to add anything extra to my fave veggie sandwiches! :)

Meghann ~ I love the double protein too, it’s great!

23 Sarah October 15, 2008 at 9:01 am

yay for free samples!!

i absolutely LOVE those boxed soups too, and that brand is definitely one of my favorites, they’re so good that it’s sometimes hard to believe it comes out of a box!

Sarah ~ I know! It’s amazing how much soups have improved.

24 Grounded Fitness October 15, 2008 at 9:48 am

bread samples? thats a new one- i could use some of that.

AND i still havent tried that yogurt- i cant find it anywhere.

Kelly Turner

Grounded Fitness ~ Bread samples = genius!

25 Megan October 15, 2008 at 10:46 am

Loving the baked oatmeal and the lower sodium Imagine soup!

Megan ~ Thanks!

26 zestycook October 15, 2008 at 12:01 pm

WOW that bread looks delicious – some day I would love to get care packages from Fed ex… That oatmeal looks fabulous – great post… now I am hungry:)

zestycook ~ Haha, mission accomplished!

27 Allison October 15, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Does that oatmeal dish come out in servings – where you scoop it out? Or in bar form? Just curiuos – it looks DELICIOUS AND EASY!

Allison ~
Haha, it’s actually a lot firmer than it looks, so you can just cut it into bars of any shape or size! Let me know if you give it a try!

28 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) October 15, 2008 at 1:17 pm

The baked oatmeal looks very good!

Yay for free samples! Rena was kind of enough to send me some bread, too! I can’t wait to post my full review!

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) ~ Mm, yay! Can’t wait to compare notes :)

29 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) October 15, 2008 at 1:18 pm

*Oops! I meant, “kind enough” NOT “kind of enough!”

30 ttfn300 October 15, 2008 at 2:15 pm

ooh ooh, sundried tomatoes in the corn… yum!!! and i really have been meaning to do some baked oatmeal! ah the long list…

ttfn300 ~ Yes, I have an endless list of my own!

31 Lindsay October 15, 2008 at 6:13 pm

i LOVE how you topped your soup – what a wonderful idea… i want to duplicate it soon :)

ahhhhh that oatmeal recipe looks amazing – that will also be one of my attempts very very soon! have a great day!

Lindsay ~ Thanks!!

32 Erica October 15, 2008 at 8:45 pm

I think food network needs to ditch Sandra Lee and pick you up! Your recipes are wayy better and you would be entertaining (vs. Sandra Lee who is annnoyyyying!) I may try those bars! Thanks for the recipe!

Erica ~ You are so sweet :) Thank you so much.

33 Mark Salinas October 15, 2008 at 8:51 pm

That soup looks tasty!

Mark Salinas ~ Thanks :)

34 catms916 October 16, 2008 at 11:05 am

The Chobani fairy strikes again!! You’re baked oatmeal looks fabulous by the way… it might be popping up on my blog soon. Check it out if you get a chance… http://stevianspice.wordpress.com/

catms916 ~ Nice :) I will check it out!

35 runjess October 16, 2008 at 1:02 pm

I like to make my own snack bars to take to work, so I might have to try your baked oatmeal and then wrap it up.

runjess ~ Let me know what you think if you try it!

36 Natalie October 16, 2008 at 1:26 pm

The soup and baked oatmeal look great. I’m definitely gonna try making that oatmeal this weekend…its perfect for taking to work.

Natalie ~ Awesome!

37 Sarah October 16, 2008 at 1:32 pm

i know how much you like nutrition articles so here’s one i stumbled upon that you might like: http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/hl/nutrition/article/0,13803,1094736,00.html

Sarah ~ Yay, thanks!! I’m going to post it on my next post, if that’s ok!