What’s to Come…

by Jenn (eating bender) on October 22, 2008

So it turns out midterm week has taken over my life. But before I get back to the books, I wanted to stop in and say hello.

Hello.

But no, that’s not all! One of my readers, KayleenHiya! – posted some interesting questions in the comments section of my last post. I figured that if she’s asking, some of you may also be wondering what my answers are. So here goes! I’m splitting up her questions so that you don’t have to keep referring back to them.

~*~

Like you initially had, I am having difficulty liking greek yogurt. I have tried oikos and fage. Do you feel choabni taste the same? It looks different in pictures. How did you convert to greek yogurt? It is so much healthier and I really want to like it, but it just taste like sour cream to me even with add ins. Plus by the time I add the add ins the calories are quite high.

I definitely think that Chobani is the creamiest of all the Greek yogurts. If you can find it in stores, they also have plenty of flavored Greek yogurts which combine the protein power that I love about plain Greek yogurt with the sweetness of all the other yogurt varieties. Plus, it has real fruit at the bottom! Can’t go wrong there :) But really the way I converted to Greek yogurt was just by eating it a lot. And at first, I added many, many mix-ins to get it to taste sweeter. But if you eat something enough, you’ll gradually adjust to the taste and even start to like it plain after a while. Now I can eat it with just a little bit of granola or a Clif ZBar, etc. It took a couple of months for me to get to this point, so my best advice is to just stick with it if you really want to like it. You can’t beat the nutritional value!

Also, I know you like to eat naturally. What are you feelings on flat out wraps? They seem to have a lot of weird chemically type ingredients.

I think Flat Out wraps are ok. They definitely have some odd sounding ingredients, but I’d say as long as you’re not having wraps for breakfast, lunch and dinner, they’re great. If you’re looking for an alternative, I personally love the La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious wraps. You can find more information about them here.

Last, you don’t seem to eat very many afternoon snacks, but you don’t eat big lunches. How do you make it through the day? (this is a question of curiousity, not attack- I find myself hungry no matter what and am looking for tips)

No worries, this is definitely an important question! I’m not sure if you’re basing it off of past food journal entries or present, but if it’s present than I’d like to assure you that I haven’t been posting my entire day’s worth of food lately, which is why you don’t see any snacks. Trust me when I tell you that I pretty much ALWAYS have an afternoon or morning snack. Otherwise, like you, I would be very hungry!! Actually, that’s usually why I keep my lunches on the lighter side – so that I can have a bigger afternoon snack and still be hungry for dinner. My go-to snacks include: Greek yogurt (haha, or flavored yogurt if you prefer!!), almonds/nuts, rice cakes with nut butter, an energy bar (Clif ZBar, Larabar, etc.) or some fresh or frozen fruit (frozen mango is my current favorite). The reason I stress three meals per day is that I like to have three “main” meals in a day — but I’m definitely going to eat a snack in between if I’m hungry!

~*~

I really enjoy being able to answer questions! If you ever have anything at all that you want to ask me, please don’t hesitate to do so. I’m not a professional by any means, so you should take anything I say with a grain of salt ;) That’s my disclaimer!!

And obviously, I can’t go this long without some sort of food picture! I had an über yummy breakfast this morning that will serve as a preview of “what’s to come…”

After getting all the comments about how Booberry Oats are good, but Banana Oats are better – I had to bring banana back this morning!

I made whipped banana oatmeal with 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and 1 tbsp. ground flax.

But the real treat was the topping – a new trail mix that combines almonds and cashews with dried blueberries, cranberries and – drumroll please – WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS!! Oh heaven. There will be a full review of this delicious line of products later this week, but for now, a preview until I get some more studying done!!

This bowl of oatmeal brought such a smile to my face this morning because for some reason it reminded me of the early days of my entry into the world of food blogging. It was seriously just about this time last year that I stumbled upon Eat Like Me, and it was all uphill from there! I honestly NEVER used to eat oatmeal before I started reading food blogs. Blasphemy!!

Alright, enough procrastinating already! I better go get some shut eye so I can wake up early and hit the books again. I’m slowly making my way around the rest of blogosphere, too :) Look out!

FINAL NOTE: Please pay Juliet a visit today and check out this post from Yummy Diet Food. She was kind enough to let me appear as a guest blogger on her site and talk about my most recent banana bread recipe! Big shout out and THANK YOU to her :) Yay!!

1 tryingtoheal October 22, 2008 at 12:28 am

eat like me was the first food blog I started reading. and again, before food blogging, i only ate instant oatmeal, and that was every once in a while. and kashi? i had no idea what it was.

LOL.

g’luck on midterms. i’m sure you’ll do great!

2 Marianne October 22, 2008 at 12:36 am

Anything white chocolate is alright by me! :D

3 maggie October 22, 2008 at 12:40 am

Thanks for all the answers :)

I didn’t start eating oats until after I started blogging too. I’m so glad I found this outlet :) It’s really fun.

Good luck with midterms!

4 wholefoodswholeme October 22, 2008 at 2:13 am

your oatmeal looks so good!!! yum! i love the aswers you gave – i also never ate greek yogurt before waking up to the blogging world and now i liveon the stuff. can’t imagine a blogging world without you!! thanks for linking me to your coffee cocoa recipe btw – although we dont have soy creamer or fat free whipped cream around here :/ the UK are SO behind!

5 coco October 22, 2008 at 5:46 am

Thanks for answering questions! I think they’re useful for people who just began to adopt a new diet style, incorporating more whole foods.
your oatmeal looks so yummy~~~~

6 Megan October 22, 2008 at 5:51 am

I love your Q&A. The trail mix topping sounds delicious and I love the bird bowl!

7 Danielle October 22, 2008 at 6:10 am

Thanks for the response to those great questions! Oh… and for that breakfast oatmeal picture… yummm. I’m drooling :).

8 HangryPants October 22, 2008 at 6:42 am

Adding bananas all smooshed up got me hooked on plain Greek yogurt. It makes it “banana flavor.”

Banana oats is THE best!

Good luck with midterms!

9 Erica October 22, 2008 at 7:01 am

hahah- I was going to say that I was amazed by your ability to go snackless :) Thank you for clarifying! I hope you have a good day and good luck studying!

10 Anna October 22, 2008 at 7:08 am

Trader Joe’s has a trail mix just like that and it is my favorite! The combo of nuts and white chocolate chips is fabulous! Have a great day. :)

11 jenngirl October 22, 2008 at 7:15 am

Great Q & A session Jenn!!

Welcome back banana oats! I know you enjoyed those :) I can’t wait to hear about that trail mix product review, it sounds delicious!!

Good luck with the rest of midterms, I have a test this morning that I am obviously NOT studying for right now, haha…

Have a great day! ;)

12 glidingcalm October 22, 2008 at 7:31 am

haha! I never ate oatmeal before blog reading either! Fancy that! And now I have it EVERY MORNING. And I agree, Banana oats rule over all others.

I gotta get me some trail mix too!

HAPPY WEDNESDAY BENDER!!!!!!

13 gina (fitnessista) October 22, 2008 at 7:37 am

i love the q & a :D
i hardly ever ate oatmeal before, either!!! i would eat south beach bars with a layer of peanut butter on them :/ banana oats are the best!
that trail mix looks soooo good!
have a happy humpday!

14 VeggieGirl October 22, 2008 at 7:51 am

BEST OF LUCK WITH MIDTERMS!!!! Don’t stress, my friend.

Love the Q&A’s!!! And I LOOOOOVE your oatmeal – mmm…

Cristin’s “Eat Like Me” blog was one of the first blogs that I ever started reading as well :-)

LOVED THE FEATURE ON THE ‘YUMMY DIET FOOD’ SITE!!! :-D

Wow, I loved a LOT of things in this post, didn’t I, haha ;-)

15 lauren October 22, 2008 at 8:06 am

I was the same with oatmeal – didnt start eating it until I saw all these great combos – especially adding in peanut butter! love the white chocolate chips in there!

16 Erin October 22, 2008 at 8:14 am

Thanks for posting even while everything is so crazed Jenn! :)

17 Fit Bottomed Girls October 22, 2008 at 8:27 am

The first time I tried Greek yogurt I didn’t like it much either. But I started adding honey or agave nectar and then within a week I started craving the tangy and sweet combo. Now I can almost eat it plain. Not quite, but almost. :)

18 Meghann October 22, 2008 at 8:31 am

great Q&A

I think we all stumbled upon food blogs through EatLikeMe! She was the gateway to our new world. :)

19 Beadie October 22, 2008 at 8:32 am

Awesome post! You rock :) Congrats on the guest post spot!

20 chocolatecoveredvegan October 22, 2008 at 8:36 am

Your blue birdie bowls are soooo super-cute!

UGH dumb midterms!!!

21 Rose October 22, 2008 at 9:00 am

You certainly inspired me to make booberry oats again – I made them so often in the summer and now they’re finally appropriate in terms of season!

I love this bowl that your oats are in. It is seriously the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

22 m October 22, 2008 at 10:40 am

Not a professional? BETTER you are…I always come here for great ideas! Thanks you!

23 Sarah October 22, 2008 at 11:59 am

there are so many foods i never ate before food blogging: oatmeal, plain yogurt, greek yogurt, z, clif or larabars, wheatberries, flax, ezekial products, and the list goes on and on! I honestly don’t even know how I survived before!

good luck with midterms, i’m right there with you.

24 Allison October 22, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Nice job on the Q&A! :)

I am in love with your oats pictures – they always look so pretty!

25 Mel October 22, 2008 at 5:32 pm

Yuck… I can commiserate about midterms. Good Luck on them!

I love your Q&A, I definitely will take some of your suggestions about greek yogurt… I only like one kind and it’s hard to find!

26 Sarah October 22, 2008 at 5:35 pm

i just saw your comment on my post and i wanted to respond here to make sure you get it: DO THE EARLY VOTE this weekend! Arizona needs it more than Illinois does!

27 ked October 22, 2008 at 6:26 pm

I agree with the funny-sounding ingredients in flat-out wraps. One of which is sugar alcohol, which can cause problems if you already have digestive system problems- especially IBS.

28 blueberryhil October 22, 2008 at 6:30 pm

It’s great how food blogs can give you ideas of things to eat. I’ve always been an oatmeal eater, but I didn’t really discover how delicious sweet potatoes could be until I started seeing them on blogs everywhere.

29 zestycook October 22, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Those oats are amazing… white chocolate can you believe it – I love it! I just cannot get enough of your blog…
thanks for sharing

zesty

30 Lindsay October 22, 2008 at 7:11 pm

I think it was this time last year that I found Eat Like Me as well :) Who knew life without blogging existed :)

Hope things settle down for you and you get some R&R in :)

31 Sharon October 22, 2008 at 11:10 pm

Good luck on your midterms!

32 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) October 23, 2008 at 8:10 am

I never knew there were so many different oatmeal combinations/creations before reading food blogs.

33 Grounded Fitness October 23, 2008 at 9:57 pm

how’d you make the uber sign?

You are a keyboard genius.

Kelly Turner

34 Kristie October 23, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Midterms really really take over free time don’t they?! It’s brutal!

I don’t think I ever ate oatmeal before stumbling upon the food blog scene either. Or at least only on rare occasion. The HORROR.

35 Heather October 24, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Love the Q&A! I agree with your take on Greek yogurt- it’s kind of an acquired taste, although I think it’s a great replacement for sour cream on tacos and such.

I hope your midterms are going well so far… enjoy your weekend with the fam!!

36 Katie October 24, 2008 at 9:58 pm

I overdosed on oatmeal once and since then I’ve avoided it…until I started reading your blog, that is. Your breakfasts inspire me!