Celebrations and Goals

by Jenn (eating bender) on November 17, 2008

I’m glad that you all enjoyed the video in my last post. I think it worked for most of you and if not, I apologize – I’m not sure what was wrong! No worries, though – all you missed was me being a dork. Nothing new there 😉 The cool part about it is that now I know that videos are possible for the blog, so you may be seeing more in the future that are food and cooking related! If you’re interested, of course.

And now to recap what was a fun, energizing and way too short weekend.

Special Olympics 5k: On Meeting Goals

The 5k was so much fun! When we first got there, I was FREEZING. It was a chilly 30* and my muscles were definitely not ready to work. But I pushed through and Bobby was nice enough to run alongside me, even though I know he could have done much better had he been going at his own pace.

When we first crossed the finish line, I was elated yet slightly disappointed. We crossed the line at 26:25 which, while in tune with my 8:30 per mile pace, was not my goal time of 26:00. To help myself see the bigger picture, I reminded myself of two key things:

1. You are not a consistent runner or racer. This time is a great starting marker and it can only get better from here!
  2. This time may not have been your goal, but it is consistent with your usual pace and you should be proud.

After I reminded myself of these points, I felt much happier and proud of myself for not only running the race, but contributing to a cause that I strongly believe in. That’s what really matters!! Here’s a picture of Bobby and I before the race – all bundled up, of course.

I guess my positive attitude paid off because last night I checked the route on Google Pedometer – I know, I know, but I just couldn’t help myself!! – and I realized that we actually ran closer to 3.3 miles!! I’m not sure why the distance was off, but it was probably because it was a college course that was designed based on the trails that were available. Knowing I ran even further than the usual 5k distance was an even greater feeling.

Time to Refuel

As you know from the video, Bobby and I headed to Walker Bros. after the race to refuel. We were v. hangry and therefore went a little overboard on the order, but it was all amazing! I started out with my usual Mediterranean Baked Omelette that consists of tomatoes, spinach, onions and feta.

For Bobby’s main dish, he chose the Challah French Toast. It’s amazing!

Then came the sides. My omelette comes with the choice of pancakes or toast, and since Bobby said he would split them with me, I decided to go big or go home and chose the pancakes.

There is nothing like these pancakes anywhere! It’s all in the “special batter” 😉 Oh, and the gigantic mound of butter was not consumed. Also, they aren’t really that big either – the picture is deceiving! I had one of the pancakes.

Bobby also got an order of the turkey sausage links and I couldn’t help but sample. These were really good! And a lot better for you than regular sausage, but very similar in taste! I had two of the links.

Needless to say, we were stuffed after that meal. But it was well worth the wait after spending a morning out in the cold!

5 Year Fun

The rest of the day was spent watching a bit of football (Go Packers!) and lounging around. At the risk of being sappy, I would like to show you one of the anniversary gifts Bobby gave me that is food relevant.

He knows me well :mrgreen: If you can’t tell from the picture, both the mug and the saucer are heart shaped!! I can’t wait to drink Coffee Cocoa out of this guy in the morning. It’s pictured here with some champagne, which we also enjoyed during the weekend.

And the best part is that it came with THIS as part of the set!!

I was pretty durn pleased with his taste in dishware!

The Yummiest for Last

You would think that after a big lunch we wouldn’t be in the mood for a big dinner. Ha! When it comes to celebrations, there is no limit to how many delicious foods I am willing to eat in one day. We decided on Koi, a super nice Japanese restaurant that is known for serving generous portions – which means leftovers that can be enjoyed the next day!!

It was very difficult to decide what to get! But I was craving freshly made sushi, so we decided on splitting a California Roll as an appetizer – crab, avocado and cucumber. Yum!

For my entree, I chose the Kung Pao dish with all three “meats” – chicken, beef and shrimp. I ate a little less than half of what you see – as you can tell, I wasn’t kidding about the large portions!

Bobby chose to go the Mongolian route, again with all three meats.

I chose brown rice and he chose white. The bowls that the rice was served in were so pretty! Everything about this restaurant is so trendy. A definite treat once a year!! Once we even saw Jerry Springer dining with his wife!!

We decided to nix the dessert, but for some reason that is still unknown o me, I decided it would be a good idea to try one of the chili peppers from my spicy dish.

It took a good 1/2 hour for my mouth to stop feeling like it was EN FUEGO!

Minus the burning incident, it was a wonderful evening. But again, the weekend went by WAY too fast!! And now we’re back to Monday already – oy vey!

I was going to post my Blogger Secret Ingredient recipe today, but this post is getting a bit lengthy so I will wait until tomorrow. In the meantime, I’d like to give a big shout of to Melissa for hosting another great week of the BSI. Congratulations to the winners!!

Have a Monday, everyone!

1 lauren November 17, 2008 at 11:03 am

what a great 5k time! you did awesome! and happy anniversary – the gifts are so adorable and your dinner looks outstanding. have a great monday!

2 ksgoodeats November 17, 2008 at 11:06 am

Congrats on the 5k again! That baked omelet has my name all over it 😀 Bobby did a really good job picking out the dish ware – way cute!

3 Krista November 17, 2008 at 11:09 am

Great weekend and congrats on the race!

4 Erica November 17, 2008 at 11:10 am

Congrats again on the race! The breakfast after looks incredible. I love the baked eggs! What cute gifts! Hope you have a good Monday!!

5 Moran November 17, 2008 at 11:14 am

Congrtulations again on the race! Have a great week!

6 Sarah November 17, 2008 at 11:21 am

CONGRATS on an amazing race—i’m so proud of you! Bobby is too cute giving you dishware, he definitely knows you well ; ) I honestly have such an addiction to coffee cups/mugs so that looks like the perfect gift to me!

and all your meals look amazing—i really need to get out to Chicago because apparently that’s where all the great restaurants are. Spring break trip, perhaps?

7 sweetandnatural November 17, 2008 at 11:26 am

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Congrats on your 5K and your anniversary! That heart mug is too cute.

8 Nicole November 17, 2008 at 11:28 am

Congrats on the race and anniversary! That restaurant looks fabulous!

9 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) November 17, 2008 at 11:32 am

Congrats on the 5K! That’s so sweet that you guys ran the race together!

Awww, I love the heart-shaped dishware. I love heart-shaped stuff!

Happy Anniversary! Glad you had a good one!

10 Marianne November 17, 2008 at 11:35 am

Your dinner is making me drool. Sushi & kung pao all in one meal? Yummy!

11 seeleelive November 17, 2008 at 11:37 am

oh my gosh I love Koi So much. I have been to the one in LA, which is very very very nice. All the “celebs” eat there (I did not see any, lol)

congratulations on your race, you have alot to be proud of!

and your breakfast Mediterranean omelet-can you order that anywhere? so jealous! Yum! what is your recipe for coffee cocoa?!

12 ttfn300 November 17, 2008 at 11:59 am

oh, what a great guy you found :) great eats!! sorry bout the chili pepper!!

13 Sarah November 17, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Don’t be disappointed with your race time! Just be glad you finished and that you can run. I wouldn’t think too much about the 3.3 v. 3.1 miles – while it’s possible that the course wasn’t measured properly, Gmap Pedometer also isn’t 100% accurate.

14 Erin November 17, 2008 at 12:09 pm

How sweet! I’m so glad you shared a little of your love life with us. :) You guys seem really happy together. I love the heart spoon. It’s adorable! I didn’t know you were into hearts. I’m into four leaf clovers. Let’s split a bowl of Lucky Charms together. :)

15 Meghann November 17, 2008 at 12:45 pm

What a FABULOUS anniversary celebration! And GREAT time on you 5k!! :)

16 jenngirl November 17, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Congrats on such an amazing race, weekend, and eats!! You had such a fantastic weekend, and I’m so glad that you are proud of yourself for that race, you should be. I know WE are proud of you, Jenn!

I’m obsessed with that heart-shaped spoon, I want to eat oatmeal with it RIGHT NOW! haha

DITTO on the weekend going by to fast, and now, Monday is almost over, I want to tell this week to “wait for me!!”

Have an awesome day, can’t wait for your BSI recipe! :)

17 chocolatecoveredvegan November 17, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Aww, you’ve been going out five years?! I’m super-impressed (my ongest relationship only lasted a year… pathetic!)

18 Julz November 17, 2008 at 1:23 pm

HAPPIEST OF ANNIVERSARIES TO MY FAAAVE :) That’s incred! 5 years! I love you guys and Bobbi, Bobbi! Way to go on the gifting, budster!

19 VeggieGirl November 17, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Jenn, I am SERIOUSLY wishing you and Bobby a lifetime together – you’re made for each other, and are perfect :-)

HAHA!! I would have LOVED those chili peppers 😀

20 Fit Bottomed Girls November 17, 2008 at 2:22 pm

What an awesome anniverary, guys. Your man totally scored big points! :)

21 runjess November 17, 2008 at 2:26 pm

What an amazingly fun day! Of course you should get the pancakes after a race!

22 gina (fitnessista) November 17, 2008 at 3:01 pm

congrats again on the race! you made amazing time!
i’m totally drooling over that omelet.. it looks so good! i love great breakfast places!
looks like you two had a wonderful anniversary- a great race for a very good cause, delicious eats, champagne and heart-shaped goodies
hope you have a great day!

23 Sharon November 17, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Congratulations – And WOW great eats!!!

24 Grounded Fitness November 17, 2008 at 5:56 pm

aw! cute mug!

i need to run a race so i can have a breakfast like THAT!

Kelly Turner

25 Melissa S. November 17, 2008 at 6:51 pm

ah, thanks for the shout out babe!!! you rock!

and what a great race!!!! it was for a great cause too!

happy anniversary!

26 Maggie November 17, 2008 at 7:33 pm

Sounds like an awesome weekend :) Happy anniversary and congrats on the 5k!!! Your pancakes are looking so good right now 😀

27 Leng November 17, 2008 at 8:25 pm

ah don’t feel too bad. You did a race! pretty good time too! and like you said you actually ran 3.3 miles, so that definitely contributed to more time. I gotta run a race too. I have been planning on running one, but been so busy. Your food looks delish! I love the sushi!

28 Megan November 17, 2008 at 8:29 pm

What a weekend full of fun and acheivement! All the food looks fabulous!

29 HangryPants November 17, 2008 at 9:28 pm

First, I love the hearts. Really, I am the biggest heart/love dweeb. Just wait till Valentine’s Day. Happy Anniversary to you two again. 😀

Second, you should be super pumped about the 5. That’s a great time … and the little extra mileage bonus makes it even better.

Third, I like the way you refuel. 😀 Nice use of the word hangry.

See ya, Jenn.

30 sweetandnatural November 17, 2008 at 10:09 pm

I left something for you on my site!

Hint: It starts with “a” and ends with “ward.”

31 glidingcalm November 17, 2008 at 10:35 pm

nice dishware mama cita!!! and I love all of your fooooooood. Boy, I’ve missed reading my Eating Bender! I missed youuuuuuuu!

32 Beadie November 18, 2008 at 8:13 am

I love the mug set, the spoon is adorable!

33 runningwithfood November 18, 2008 at 9:37 am

Congrats girl! Way to hang in there even though the temps were frigid! It takes a lot for me to run in the cold. Sounds like this great cause was well worth it!!

Your eats look absolutely delicious!!! I want them all!!

Happy Anniversary! Love the present!!

34 AlliJag November 18, 2008 at 10:04 am

ohhhhh that kung pao chicken looks AWESOME! I’m such a sucker for pizza and chinese food – those are my two weaknesses!

your anni gifts were very sweet! :)

and you should be totally impressed with your 5k time – that’s fantastic! i’m shooting for 35 minutes for our thanksgiving 5k – anything under 30 is amzaing in my book!

35 Betsy November 18, 2008 at 11:26 am

congrats on the 5k time!! i’m quite impressed :)

36 HeatherBakes November 18, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Great job on the race!!! And your time was awesome, missy.

I’m obsessed with that coffee mug and spoon. SO CUTE.

37 Kristie November 18, 2008 at 5:52 pm

I managed to see the video!! For some reason it worked this time around. Yay! There had BETTER be more video posts in the future!

Congrats on the 5k time! That’s still awesome, even if it wasn’t quite at your goal. Plus, if the course had actually been an accurate 5k then you would have made your time anyway, right? :)

I want that baked omelet. Very badly. But I want your HEART SHAPED dishware even more. Cutest things EVER. Bobby sure knows how to pick his dishes eh?

And what a great way to end off your day. A lovely dinner and a burning mouth. Mmmm. Brave of you to attempt the pepper though. Haha.

38 eatingbender November 18, 2008 at 11:18 pm

Thank you all for the positive feedback on the 5k and for your anniversary wishes!! I am so grateful for each and every one of your comments.

39 Lara November 19, 2008 at 1:22 am

Oh my goodness–ALL the food in this post looks so amazing! The breakfast bites…the Japanese food…wow. ANd congrats again for your 5k success! You should be proud!