From Bars to Brussels (VIDEO!)

by Jenn (eating bender) on November 20, 2008

Happy Almost Friday, everyone!! Apologies for taking the day off from posting yesterday, but it’s been one of those weeks with heavy to-do lists and work up the wazoo! It’s all worth it though, because tonight I am going to see TWILIGHT!! I have been waiting for this movie since the end of the summer – I’m ready!!

This post is dedicated to bars (as in, the kind you eat!) and brussels (as in sprouts, not Belgium!). I’ve been eating plenty of both this week because they are quick and easy! First things first – I tried another of the seasonal Clif bars. The Iced Gingerbread this time!

When I pulled this one out of the packaging, I knew it would likely be an instant hit. I love gingerbread – obviously, since that would be one very important factor in the purchase of this bar! This smelled just like a gingerbread house, too, which I have made in the past…

Yes, I’m as cool as they come. But anyway, back to the food! It was very nicely presented and reminded me of an iced gingerbread cookie. I just hoped it would taste half that good!

And it did!! This was a great choice – very chewy with a huge gingerbread flavor present throughout. It tasted very “real” and not processed at all. I savored it slowly while working on some school stuff and felt really content once I was finished. It kept me full for about 3 hours (maybe a little less), so it did its job as a hefty afternoon snack :) Nice!

For my next trick, I gave one of the JamFrakas bars that I received from Megan’s Munchies a try between classes today.

I chose the Peanut Butter Blisscrisp because I love the Larabar PB Cookie and hoped that it would be at least somewhat similar.

I know that many of you haven’t been too fond of these bars, but I really liked this flavor!! It tasted like a crispier version of the PB Cookie, in my opinion. So if you like that flavor of Larabar and want something that’s roughly the same size but half the calories, I think this is a good option!

Rounding out the bar portion of this post, I was lucky enough to receive some yummy samples in the mail yesterday!

Thanks to Robyn of Gnu Foods for sending me a plethora of their delicious Flavor & Fiber bars!! I’ve tried the Banana Walnut in the earlier days of the blog – fun flashback by clicking here! – and absolutely loved it, so I’m looking forward to seeing what else they have to offer! Expect a full review in the coming weeks :) Yipee!

Finally, I leave you with my second-ever video post! As I mention at the end of the video, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think of me doing these in my posts. If they annoy you, I’ll stick to the pictures and the commentary! Otherwise, I hope that you enjoy it :) I had fun making it.

I’m off to see Twilight!! I can’t even express my excitement in words! I will be catching up on comments and other blogs tomorrow – have a great Friday, everyone!

1 VeggieGirl November 20, 2008 at 8:23 pm

The photo of you with the Gingerbread house is PRICELESS!!!

2 chocolatecoveredvegan November 20, 2008 at 8:25 pm

I love those Gnu bars. You must try them heated in the microwave… the banana ones taste like warm banana bread!

CCV ~ Thanks for the tip!

3 Kristie Lynn November 20, 2008 at 8:26 pm

I LOVE the videos! You are so cute and I don’t think they’re annoying at all! (I’m even posting my third-ever comment on the blog just to say so!)

Kristie Lynn ~ Aw, you are very sweet. Thank you!

4 Maggie November 20, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Can’t watch the video yet bc I’m at work, but I’ll watch it later :) Love the bars!

5 Meghan November 20, 2008 at 8:37 pm

I AGREE– the PB blisscrisp bar was my fave(the only one i liked but whatevvvv still yummy) also- my google reader doesnt show your videos :(

6 Fit Bottomed Girls November 20, 2008 at 8:37 pm

You are too cute! I like the videos as a fun feature like that, but I still like the pics and commentary, too. Basically, I love it all!

7 ksgoodeats November 20, 2008 at 8:42 pm

The Gnu bars kill me because I really want to try the oatmeal one but NO ONE sells it around here :( bummer…oh well

Glad to hear the gingerbread clif was good and love the pic of your and the gingerbread house! I liked the PB jamfrackas too but I’m nervous to try the rest. The video was cute, I’ve never tried the sprouts either!

Have fun at the movie!!

8 zestycook November 20, 2008 at 8:43 pm

awesome Video Jenn – great post… you seem like so much fun! Enjoy your movie!

9 Hangry Pants November 20, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Look at all those bars!

I am in favor of short, but sweet video posts like these. πŸ˜€

10 gina (fitnessista) November 20, 2008 at 8:52 pm

look at all of the wonderful bars! i’m totally searching for some holiday clif bars when i’m in az this week!!! when do you leave to go home??
that’s awesome that gnu hooked you up- i still have a few left but LOVE them.. especially the oatmeal raisin- mmm!
have an amazing time at twilight! let us know what you think! i’m bringing the first book on the plane with me, so hopefully i’ll be able to finish it before i go to see it
i can’t see the video on my laptop (because it’s ghetto) and don’t want to go upstairs because, well, i’m feeling lazy, but i’ll probably comment again after i watch it!
happy almost friday!

11 eatingbirdfood November 20, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Thanks for the reviews of the bars. The Gingerbread flavor looks delish. I can’t wait to try the Clif Seasonal bars.

And, I’m excited to find out if like the other gnu flavors.

I like the vid – it’s a fun addition to the blog.

12 sweetandnatural November 20, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Cute video! The BEST way to make brussels sprouts is to roast them. Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Slice the b. sprouts (fresh ones!) into halves or quarters. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pop ’em in the oven for 25 minutes and flip halfway through. So easy and SO DELISH!

P.S. Let us know how Twilight is! My supervisor at work is obsessed with the books and made me read the first two, so I want to see the movie now too.

13 Megan November 20, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Love the videos! Keep them coming! I thought the Gingerbread Clif bar was pretty good, but it took me several tries at first. Glad you enjoyed the JamFrakas. I have only tried one of the GNU bars…I am anxious to try more!

14 Erica November 20, 2008 at 9:06 pm

I want to try those Gnu bars! I have been looking for something new/different- I’m totally hooked on the Mojos right now! Glad to hear a positive review about the jamfrakas…I want to give them a try too! Have a nice Friday girlie!

15 Julz November 20, 2008 at 9:21 pm

I looooove you to pieces! You’re such a cutie patoots πŸ˜‰

You MUST roast Brussels! Makes the WORLD of a diff! I hate the steamed ones but roasted are my heart’s content :) DAILY VIDEOS! DAILY VIDEOS!!!!

And the Gnus! The Cran-Orange is my FAVE! Great with some fage in between bites (I don’t like mixing anything into my greek yo… weird, yes, I know hehe) but it is HEAVENLY! The smell is like an orange (REAL not fakey orangey ew) and the essence of cranberry is divine! Enjoy my Beautiful Lovagirl!

Julz ~
Thanks for the tips on the brussel sprouts and the Gnu bars! I will definitely try the Fage idea!

16 Marianne November 20, 2008 at 9:31 pm

I made brussel sprouts this evening as well! I’ve never actually cooked them myself, but I’ve eaten them more than a few times, usually at thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, completely overcooked and mushy (re: gross). But I roasted mine with some other veggies with olive oil, garlic powder, pepper, parsley, and onion, and they were mighty tasty! You should try a simple roast next time.

17 ttfn300 November 20, 2008 at 9:46 pm

ha, brussel sprouts, i’m only just starting to get into cabbage (hated it as a kid), and i think they’re ok now… haven’t found a fantastic way to do them yet, but they were ok roasted with some balsamic vinegar…

love the gnu bars and now i have to try them warmed up! banana and oatmeal raisin are my fav, choc’s good too. cute video;-)

18 runningwithfood November 20, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Can you get any more adorable?! I swear … you are such a cutie pie! Love the video posts – great idea!! Hope you enjoyed the movie! :)

19 Melissa S. November 20, 2008 at 10:05 pm

yay for gnu fairy!! she came to my place today!!!

and i’m excited to try that gingerbread clif bar!!! it’s sitting around taunting me at work!

hopefully i can see your video later…my stupid internet is acting up!

20 glidingcalm November 20, 2008 at 10:07 pm

oh Jenn! you are too cute! but I need to download the vid player…right now it isn’t working!

21 Sarah November 20, 2008 at 10:10 pm

i LOVE the video posts! so fun!

making gingerbread houses is seriously one of my favorite winter activities, i love it. yayy.

TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! So jealous you’re going to see it, I CAN’T wait!

I didn’t try brussel sprouts until last year but they are definitely one of my absolute favorite veggies now. I have a few really good ways to eat them (but they use fresh ones, not the steaming bags)
1) cut in half, toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil and roast in 400* oven ~30 minutes
2) pull off all the leaves (it’s time consuming, but so worth it!), coat with salt, pepper, olive oil in a bowl. SauteΓ© in pan over med-high heat for a while (i can’t remember how long, just until they’re cooked and toasty and tasty!) A little bit into the cooking add in PISTACHIOS and the juice of a lemon!! They get all toasty and smell amazing and taste fabulous.
**This is honestly one of THE BEST recipes I have ever made/one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Now that’s saying something. My sister is a vegetarian and when she got home from Italy this summer I decided to make her a tofu meal to celebrate. I was expecting to hate it (I had never really liked tofu before) but this changed my opinions forever. Seriously, please make this, you’ll love me forever!

Sarah ~ I will definitely make this, although I already love you (like a sista) forever :)

22 seeleelive November 20, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Thanks for the bar reviews..I’ve heard great things about this flavor and can’t wait to find it!!

23 Krista November 20, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Thanks for the great reviews! I really appreciate when fellow bloggers take the time to do them! :)

24 artur November 20, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Oh man!. Since yesterday I needed my jenny-bender fix and this was a double treat

artur ~ Haha, you’re funny! Thanks :)

25 Sharon November 20, 2008 at 10:36 pm

WHOAAA! Gnu bars! NICE!

26 Sharon November 20, 2008 at 10:37 pm

WHOAAA! Gnu bars! NICE!

27 jenngirl November 20, 2008 at 10:46 pm

LOVE the video post Jenn! And I have yet to try out brussel sprouts for real either, so I’m totally glad to get your take on them, the BBQ sauce was a great idea!

Jealous of all your Gnu bars, can’t wait for a little review πŸ˜‰

AND O MY GOSH I’m going to see Twilight tomorrow with a friend and I CANNOT WAIT!!

28 Lara November 21, 2008 at 1:21 am

Love the video–you’re a natural!

29 elise November 21, 2008 at 4:04 am

That picture of the gingerbread Clif is great!! What kind of camera do you have? I’m just starting up a food blog and I absolutely LOVE yours– you’re on my blogroll! Check mine out and hopefully you add me to yours? I’m excited to get going in this foodblogging community :)

30 marafaye November 21, 2008 at 6:20 am

I’ve never seen a Gnu bar here…maybe I should email and get some!

I’M SO EXCITED FOR TWILIGHT!!!!! I’m going tomorrow with my best friend…can’t wait!

31 coco November 21, 2008 at 6:52 am

I loveeeeeeeeee it!!!! You’re such a cute and sweet girl~~~~~~ keep doing it because I really enjoy watching it!!!

And I love sprouts…. my favorite way to cook it is microwave for 2 min and roast in the oven high for 10min, and seasoning it as you like.

32 Olga November 21, 2008 at 8:42 am

I loveeee gingerbread as well! It’s thheeeeeee best =]

I love the video post, how cute! I need to get me some of that BBQ sauce. I like making sprouts by adding a little bit chili or paprika powder to them before roasting them!

33 Rose November 21, 2008 at 8:57 am

I love the video post – I’m not going to lie, putting BBQ on sprouts NEVER crossed my mind – but what an interesting idea. Plus garlic and pepper help everything. Thanks for sharing your first moment with brussel sprouts on video! Very cool!

Hey – I think you mentioned on my blog that you may have finished part of the secret project? You should send me an email :)

34 Allison November 21, 2008 at 10:58 am

I’m so glad to be back blogging…thanks for your sweet comment girl!! Ahh, I LOVE the video!! I’ve never had brussel sprouts either…but I just bought the same steamer bag so now I need to try them out (with the added bbq sauce of course!). I hope you have a HAPPY FRIDAY yay!!

35 Allison November 21, 2008 at 10:58 am

LOL – love the gingerbread house picture!

glad to hear that clif bar is as good as it looks!

and ALSO glad to hear your experience with jamfrakas was better than mine! :)

36 halie November 21, 2008 at 11:00 am

I enjoyed the gingerbread clif bar too!

I recently tried Brussels Sprouts for the first time and love them!!

37 Tina November 21, 2008 at 11:17 am

So many bars, not enough time!

38 Mel November 21, 2008 at 11:46 am

You are too cute in your video! I say keep them up! πŸ˜€

I love the gingerbread clif bar. It was really good.

39 Natalie November 21, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Those bars look yummy! I can’t wait to try them.

I’m seeing Twilight tonight too…SO EXCITED! I hope the movie is as good as the book.

40 Andrea (Off Her Cork) November 21, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Oh my look at that Clif bar!! I love Clif with all of my heart (but not Luna, no no no) and am so jealous of that bar!

41 Kristie November 21, 2008 at 2:48 pm

I need to read the Twilight books still! Ack! I hope the movie lives up to your expectations though. I kind of want to read the books BEFORE I see the movie. We’ll see if that ever happens…

You’re seriously making me crave a Clif bar. I haven’t had them in a while now. For some reason they’ve been out of stock at all the stores recently! I’ll have to check back soon. Maybe they’re bringing in the HOLIDAY flavours?! One can only dream…

Video posts annoying? NEVER. Keep em coming!

42 Pearl November 21, 2008 at 5:33 pm

oh my gosh! video posts are so cute! and wow – i never knew that clif bars came out with seasonal flavors!

btw your gingerbread house is adorable.

hope to keep in touch!

43 Karla November 21, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Tally one more for the loves it column! The videos are great :) Hope the movie was too…don’t hate me but I’ve never read the Twilight books–or Harry Potter!

44 Grounded Fitness November 21, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Twilight!!! have fun! do a review please so i dont waste my money??

Kelly Turner

45 Shannon November 21, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Gnu bars = heaven in a wrapper. I love the cinnamon raisin flavor.
The Twilight movie was absolutely amazing. I couldn’t sleep after seeing the 12:02 showing. I was way too hyped up!!

46 Katie November 21, 2008 at 11:54 pm

I’m so pumped for Twilight!!!! I am also excited to try those seasonal Clif bars…I’ve got to get my hands on some of those.

47 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) November 22, 2008 at 5:54 am

Thanks for the reviews of those bars! They sound delicious!

Yay for another video post! I’ve never had brussel sprouts before, so this was very helpful! Hopefully I can use your recipe soon! Keep the video posts coming! I love them!

48 biz319 November 22, 2008 at 7:10 pm

I must have missed it, but did you bake the brussel sprouts??

The video is fun – keep em coming!

49 oatmeal November 23, 2008 at 1:00 am

Oh Twilight XD Everyone’s been talking about that movie–I’ve never read the books though–tell us if the movie’s any good!

Love the picture of you with the gingerbread house! That totally validates you in the world of cool people :mrgreen:

And reading your blog always make me crave bars! You seem to have an endless supply–which makes me jealous!

50 eatingbender November 23, 2008 at 3:33 pm

I’m so glad that you all enjoy the video posts! I will try to keep ’em coming for you :) Thanks for all the great tips on how you enjoy your brussel sprouts! I can’t wait to try some of them out!

biz319 ~ Sorry, I should have mentioned this before: it’s a Steamfresh bag of brussel sprouts, so I just popped it into the microwave!