Chugga Chugga

by Jenn (eating bender) on December 20, 2008

I could not stop chugging water today. At one point I literally had to pull over to a gas station and buy a bottle of water because the thought of waiting until I got home made my mouth feel like paste. Nice, right? I’m not sure what it was – usually it’s quite the opposite and I have to make an effort to drink enough water. I still don’t know what the difference was, but we’ll see how it goes tomorrow.

The morning started out the same as it has all week – Coffee Cocoa to go while driving my brother to school. But this morning I woke up on time – small victory – to help wrap gifts for my brother’s teachers, since today was his last day until next year. And I also used the best mug yet – the Starbucks travel mug I received from my amazing Secret Santa, Sarah.

After I took my brother to school, I spent almost the entire morning wrapping presents. I am happy to say that I am officially done with wrapping my gifts to other people. Now I will just have to help my mom at midnight on Christmas Eve – she’s the ultimate procrastinator :) Mom, if you’re reading this – don’t even try to deny it!

While I was working, I munched on breakfast. I think by now you can figure out what I ate – we are trying to get the massive containers of raspberries used up before they go bad!

I love starting out with a bowl of Greek yogurt topped with berries, knowing that once I finish I have yet another bowl to look forward to – Kashi Go Lean with almond milk. It’s volume eating at it’s finest because it seems like I’m getting so much more and it keeps me feeling full longer.

I wanted a little extra protein, so I also microwaved an egg white and topped it with some Mexican blend cheese. It was a nice savory way to end the meal.

After wrapping up the wrapping (lame!), I helped my mom out with some house stuff. I know I keep mentioning that and, to be clear, my family is in the process of building a new house and my mom is basically her own builder. It’s pretty sweet and I am super proud of her – she works her @rse off every single day. I just try to help with some of the little details.

Once we got some of the house stuff figured out, we settled down for a great lunch. We split a bowl of Italian Wedding Soup. I personally had never heard of it before, but it’s great! It has meatballs, mushrooms, lentils and a lot of flavor.

With the soup, we also split a piece of pretzel bread. As many of you may know, I am a bread lover. But it’s got to be good – this stuff was perfectly doughy and great to dip in the soup.

We also made a plate of Cranberry Cinnamon Goat Cheese

A brie-like cheese called “Chaource”…

And yummy sesame crackers.

Both of the cheeses are from Costco – it’s the time of year here where our store has a huge display of all kinds of cheeses. The cranberry goat cheese is our all-time favorite – the combination of the two is so good! My mom and I each had about three crackers spread with a mix of both cheeses.

It was a great lunch – and a nice time catching up with my mom. Although I must say that, like me, she finds it difficult to sit still for too long! There’s always 1,000,000 things to do at the Bender house.

I did a little reading and then decided to go on a run for the first time since my 5k back in November. I did a 3-mile up and downhill loop around my neighborhood. It went pretty well – I cramped up a little at one point which I’m assuming is because of my lunch. But overall, it was a good one. I didn’t bring my watch because I realized it too late, so I don’t know my stats :( I needed to get out the door so I could be back in time to pick up my brother from school.

Once my brother and I got home, I snacked on one of Sarah’s amazing mint brownies.

I responded to some emails and checked blogs, did a bit more reading, and then my mom announced that she wanted to go out to dinner. Fine by me! We ended up going to a steakhouse that is a bread-lover’s dream. They bring out a basket full of different kinds of bread – corn muffins, pretzel bread, cracker bread…need I say more? I picked out a cranberry nut bread that was perfect – really, no other way to describe it.

For dinner, I had a small part of my mom’s iceburg wedge with bleu cheese dressing – totally indulgent and only for those who can stand the taste of bleu cheese. I’m one of those people.

And for the main meal, I had the Mango Chicken Salad. Mmmm – this was good! The chicken was tender and the mango dressing was just sweet enough. There were also chunks of mango and purple grapes everywhere in the salad – it was a great combination of cool/hot.

So now you have not one but two ways to donate to a good cause: Hangry Pants and the one and only MizFit are both making it possible. Click on those two links, leave a comment on the posts and money will be donated to the causes of their choice. It’s a really great thing they’re doing, so make sure you stop by! Tis the season!

And I would just like to give a big thank you to Kelly from Massage Therapy Careers who listed Eating Bender as one of the 100 Best Natural Wellness Blogs! I’m #39 for reference (I don’t think think they are in any particular order). I am very flattered! It makes me so happy to know that there are people who get something out of my blog – I will continue writing as long as that is still true! Check out the link because there are a lot of other really great bloggers on that list!

It’s the weekend! What are your plans?

1 Moran December 20, 2008 at 12:44 am

I love your Starbucks cup Bender! I know this is random but Starbucks only got here a couple of months ago and the variety of products, and mainly COFFEE, is really bad!!! Same for the cups you can buy! So I just have a sad little thermos thingy!

2 Pearl December 20, 2008 at 3:51 am

ooh love your starbucks cup! now you have the holiday design all year round!

i <3 costco

3 MizFit December 20, 2008 at 5:15 am

thanks so much for the linklove!

(and CONGRATS on being #39. that’s a big deal!!)

4 coco December 20, 2008 at 5:36 am

such a great day of eats! Love your 3 step breakfast! šŸ˜€
Break is fabulous, isn’t it?

5 ttfn300 December 20, 2008 at 6:11 am

didn’t know italian wedding soup had lentils!

6 Lindsay December 20, 2008 at 6:32 am

how awesome is your coffee cup! yay… :)

7 Shelby December 20, 2008 at 6:57 am

Great Eats today!
Sometimes I’m the same way with water. Especially after dinner, I can chug a whole 16 oz.!

8 runningwithfood December 20, 2008 at 7:07 am

So many fabulous eats that I don’t even know where to start!!!

I just picked up a pretzel roll this week for the hub and I to share with our soup … boy, oh, boy, that was one good roll!!

Have a good day!

9 Erica December 20, 2008 at 7:25 am

What a great day! yayyy for your brother being done with school! Those mint brownies seroiusly look so good! I think chocolate mixed with mint is one of the best combos! Happy weekend! I plan to really just relax. Get housework done (hooray), pack for Christmas trip, watch movies!

10 Hangry Pants December 20, 2008 at 7:28 am

Thanks a bunch for linking (again).

I love seeing your daily eats lately. It sounds like you’re having such a fun, tasty time at home.

I am going to the Nutcracker today!!!

11 Sarah December 20, 2008 at 7:38 am

oh my gosh, i am drooling over all of your meals today! the raspberry/pom picture is so pretty, the cheeses look outstanding, i KNOW how amazing those brownies are, the cranberry nut bread sounds so good, and mango/chicken is such a great combo. What a delicious day!

this weekend will be busy, which is good because i have just been lazing around all week. I have a bunch of football and christmas parties to go to, and I start back up at work again sunday. And Hanukkah starts soon too!

12 Heather Eats Almond Butter December 20, 2008 at 7:58 am

Oooh, I’m going to look for that cranberry goat cheese at Costco when we do our grocery shopping later today. Those bleu cheese chunks – wow! Love me some chunky bleu cheese.

13 ksgoodeats December 20, 2008 at 8:02 am

LOVE volume eating šŸ˜€ It’s the best!

Good luck with your new house and congrats on the listing! That’s great!!

This weekend: holiday party tonight woohoo!!

14 VeggieGirl December 20, 2008 at 8:07 am

Girl, I drink 50 ounces of water every morning – yes, just in the MORNING!! I’m part fish šŸ˜‰

Italian Wedding Soup?!?!??!?! As with the Cinnamon Toast (Mickey Toast šŸ˜‰ ), this is yet another nostalgic food for me!!

Hooray for being featured on the blog list!! Whoo hoo!! šŸ˜€

Enjoy your Saturday!!

15 ErinE December 20, 2008 at 8:37 am

Congrats on making that blog list!
That cranberry cinnamon cheese looks good. I have never seen that kind of cheese before.

16 Melissa S. December 20, 2008 at 9:16 am

congrats on making the blog list! i saw it when i was at work yesterday and as soon as I read all of your guys’ names i jumped up and was like, “yay!!” …then my boss goes,”what happened?” Oops…guess i was a little loud/excited. haha!

and i’m totally with you on the water…except that is me EVERY SINGLE DAY. heheheh.

17 Sara December 20, 2008 at 9:36 am

That cranberry cinnamon cheese sounds great! So Christmas-y! :)

18 sweetandnatural December 20, 2008 at 9:39 am

Whoa – cranberry cinnamon goat cheese?! Incredible. Your breakfast is so festive too – lots of reds!

19 Erin December 20, 2008 at 10:44 am

Oh that goat cheese! Holy.
I hope you’re not dehydrated!

20 Kelly Turner December 20, 2008 at 12:40 pm

ooooo i cant remember the last time i had brie. i need to go get me some!

Kelly Turner

21 Sarah M. December 20, 2008 at 2:16 pm

I want your family to adopt me! You guys look like you always have the most amazing food and I can feel the love!

Have a great weekend!

22 bobbi December 20, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I want that cup and goat cheese!!!!

23 Krista December 20, 2008 at 7:10 pm

I love blue cheese! YUM! And I’ve also bought the cranberry goat cheese before! I won’t buy it again, though because it was SO good I could not stop eating it…on everything! :) Dangerous stuff, I tell you!

24 Sophia December 20, 2008 at 7:50 pm

your eats are great! that pic of that bread slathered with cheese made me drool! unfortunately I’m right now in a place where it is hard to procure such gourmet cheeses…what do you plan to do with the leftover cheese?

25 Karla December 20, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Glad to hear you had some Mom time today! I did too–always enjoyable :) I’m baking dozens and dozens of cookies and decorating cut-outs like crazy. And staying inside: the wind chills are crazy here in the midwest!
PS: Way to go on the best blog list!

26 seeleelive December 21, 2008 at 8:27 am

Hey Jenn-I have been so so so thirsty lately, as well. what is it? aren’t we supposed to be thirsty in the summer? it’s crazyyyy girl. Anyways, that cranberry goat cheese looks frickin amazing.

Sending good wishes!!

27 caitlin December 21, 2008 at 8:51 am

hahaha our costco hearts cheese this time of year as well. we’re actually going to go buy some today :)

28 Kristie December 21, 2008 at 9:15 am

I’ve been having trouble drinking as much water as I used to lately because it’s so coooooold out. All I want is hot drinks most of the time. I’m always cold haha.

Mango chicken salad… CHEESE and CRACKERS. yum yum yum.

Hope you’re having an awesome weekend Jenn!

29 gina (fitnessista) December 21, 2008 at 3:20 pm

wrapping up the wrapping.. heh
that goat cheese sounds INCREDIBLE!!! all of the eats look wonderful and what a great surprise from your super sweet secret santa šŸ˜€
hope you’re having a fabulous weekend! i was in phoenix for an hour and a half yesterday :( i’m hoping we’ll go back the day after xmas!!
happy sunday!

30 Olga December 21, 2008 at 7:29 pm

I had the same goat cheese but with figs in it! Delish!