Wanted: Fruits and Veggies

by Jenn (eating bender) on December 28, 2008

Although the weather certainly didn’t warm up, the snow disappeared by mid-morning. I said goodbye to White Christmas and now I’m ready to bring on the New Year festivities ๐Ÿ˜‰ Actually, I’m just ready to get all of these candies and chocolates out of my life! I know we’re all saying “tis the season,” but I think my stomach is starting to yell at me. It’s craving more fruits and veggies!

This morning I tried to make it happy by making a big bowl of PBPB oatmeal – Pumpkin, Banana and Peanut Butter.

This bowl contained:

• 1/3 cup oatmeal
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 large banana
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1 tbsp. peanut butter

I let the peanut butter melt into the top layer of the oats so that I scooped out a little bit with each spoonful. It was so filling – I forgot how much volume pumpkin adds!

And the obligatory mug of Coffee Cocoa on the side – although it was missing whipped cream this morning :( Good thing I went to the store and fixed that problem.

After breakfast, I read New Moon for a while. My dad surprised me by bringing over a morning pick-me-up in the form of a Bloody Mary. He knows what I like!

Once I had let the drink settle (hehe), my brother and I headed to the gym. I did a variety of different cardio and leg exercises and felt really good once all was said and done:

• 20 minutes on TechnoGym Cardio Wave
  • 20 minutes on treadmill, varying between 6.0 and 7.0 at 1.5%
  • 12 reps each of standing, reverse, and sideways lunges

I came home and cleaned myself up before making a quick lunch.

I wasn’t feeling up for anything fancy because my workout (and possibly the drink, but I can’t be sure!) left me without an appetite for some reason, so I had 1 cup TJ’s Greek yogurt with 1 cup Kashi Go Lean and 1 tsp. maple syrup.

And later, I snacked on some more of that addicting Target trail mix. I ended up finishing the S’mores (as you can see from the bowl on the far right) and made a major dent in the Monster.

This left me quite full, so I guess I will call that “lunch” – it was a snacky sort of day. My mom and I then headed out to make some returns and exchanges on some Christmas gifts. We also made a stop at Whole Foods, where I stocked up on some more Greek yogurt for the rest of my stay at home. I can’t believe there is only one week left!

While we were out, my mom presented me with a treat I could not turn down.

It’s an Italian cookie from Gianna’s Baking Company. I guess I would compare it to a chocolate dipped pizzelle – it was amazing, whatever it is!

We finished up our shopping and came home to dinner on the table. It was a Papa Bender Specialty that never disappoints – fajitas! There were whole wheat tortillas

Veggie sides including onions, jalapeรฑos and green peppers

And the protein which included shrimp and flank steak…and cheese!

As always, I took a picture of my first tortilla, but proceeded to stock up on extra shrimp, steak and veggies after the first fajita :) I was stuffed to the gills after this meal!

I also had a little vino. You want to know something funny? I drink more alcohol at home than I do at school! I guess my parents are bad influences ๐Ÿ˜‰ Oh well, it’s all good stuff.

I waited a little while after dinner, and eventually decided that I was hungry enough for a nightcap. I settled on 1/2 of this dark chocolate candy cane that I received from Sarah. Yum!

And now I’m just watching some TV with my mom. Well, actually, we are both “multitasking” on our computers. I’ll probably go settle in with New Moon after reading some blogs!

It was fun reading about all the “scents” out there – so cool that some of you happened to be wearing the same one as me! And now for my next random question…

What’s your ringtone?

I like this one, too! Mine is The Entertainer. I used to be able to play it on the piano, but I would probably stink now. It’s been a while!

Ciao bellas!

1 Sharon December 28, 2008 at 1:21 am

Haha, my ringtone is the original Sony Ericsson ringtone. I love it, because… well, I heart se phones.

2 Amanda December 28, 2008 at 1:56 am

“Kill the Lights” by Britney.

…yeah, I splurged! But her album’s my new running favorite, so I figured it was worth the homage. :)

3 Shelby December 28, 2008 at 7:19 am

Amazing oats and fajitas!!! yum yum

Hmm, my ringtone now would be just a generic one…I’m waiting to get a new phone =)

4 VeggieGirl December 28, 2008 at 7:45 am

Love the oats (and that spoon!!), coffee cocoa (boo to no whipped cream :-( ), chocolate-dipped pizzelle (nostalgia alert!!), and the chocolate candy cane :-)

My ringtone is a Latin salsa dance song, haha.

5 Sarah December 28, 2008 at 7:50 am

OMG JENN STOPPPPPP—the entertainer was MY ringtone too from my very first phone up until this year when I got a new one and it was no longer an option, now I just have the default verizon ring.

i definitely drink more alcohol at home than i do at school too, haha. there’s just always wine around here, it’s great!

and i think i’m about to go make your lunch for my breakfast!

6 Meg December 28, 2008 at 8:01 am

I love the CardioWave at the gym. I never hear anyone talk about it, so I loved that you mentioned it!

My ring tone is the tropical sounding version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

7 ksgoodeats December 28, 2008 at 8:12 am

I’m with ya: I can’t get enough of the fruit and veggies lately!!

My ring tone is Santa Baby – did you hear that Eartha Kitt died on Christmas?! How sad and ironic :(

8 Kristie Lynn December 28, 2008 at 8:38 am

I splurged on now I have “I Will Possess Your Heart” by DCFC as my ringtone. Yayness! :)

9 glidingcalm December 28, 2008 at 8:51 am

ahhh pbbp oatmeal and papa bender’s fajitas!! 2 of the most delicious eats evaaaaaaaaa. yum!

10 ttfn300 December 28, 2008 at 8:56 am

i have no cool ringtone, but i wish i had your eats :)

11 gina (fitnessista) December 28, 2008 at 8:57 am

YUM papa bender’s fajitas!!! they look incredible.. especially the shrimpies!
my ringtone is a generic palm centro ringtone. i’m technologically impaired to change it
my stomach’s right with yours. i’m getting sick of the sweets and just want some fruits and veggies!
hope you have a happy sunday <3

12 Krista December 28, 2008 at 9:27 am

Those fajitas looks great! What a fantastic spread your Dad put on!

The bowl your oats were in is too cute! Love the spoon…

13 Jenny December 28, 2008 at 9:40 am

I love your “pbpb” oatmeal, AMAZING combination to start any day with!

I love papa bender and his bloody marys, that is SO much like my dad it’s scary haha

YUM I had fajitas the other night, I think that my favorite mexican dish :)

My ringtone? It’s currently Hot N Cold by Katy Perry, love it.

14 Sara December 28, 2008 at 10:08 am

I completely know what you mean…I’m so over all the “treats” of the holidays! In fact, I threw out a plate of cookies and some leftover brownies just the other day. I couldn’t take it anymore, I was so tired of them! :)

My ringtone is Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies! I have another that is only for when my hubby calls, and it’s the Theme of the O.C. (he’s from So. Cal.).

15 sweetandnatural December 28, 2008 at 10:23 am

I also cannot wait to get back into my regular routine! My ring tone is one that came with my phone. I’ve never downloaded a ring tone!

16 marafaye December 28, 2008 at 10:25 am

OMG I’m so ready to not be eating candy and cookies at every meal!! I’m totally stocking up on produce today. I love the crock that your oatmeal was in, too cute!

My ringtone is different for most of my friends, but my standard one is “Linus and Lucy” from Charlie Brown Christmas!

17 Josie December 28, 2008 at 10:45 am

That’s cool you’re reading Twilight too!

The chocolate candy cane is making me drool. Haha.

My ringtone is one that was already on my phone. I’m too much of a cheapskate to purchase one for a whole $2.50 lol.

18 Mel December 28, 2008 at 11:48 am

I totally agree with you about the fruits and veggies! I’m starting to miss them too!

My ringtone is just the standard phone ring. It’s boring but it works for me!

19 Heather Eats Almond Butter December 28, 2008 at 11:49 am

Love the PB tower in your morning oats :)

Once again, Papa Bender comes through with an amazing meal. He is some cook!

My ringtone is crickets and other outdoor nighttime noises. I love it – very soothing.

20 caitlin December 28, 2008 at 11:58 am

hahah my ringtone is britney spears, of course!!!

21 Lindsay December 28, 2008 at 4:28 pm

mmmmmmmmm how yummy does that bowl of pumpkiny oats look :)

my ringtone is a tim mcgraw song – im obsessed :)

22 Kelly Turner December 28, 2008 at 6:18 pm

mmmmm bloody mary- I had one on the plane ride. it cost me $9 but kept me from murdering anyone.

Kelly Turner

23 bobbi December 28, 2008 at 6:24 pm

ooo so much goodness here, I love ww fajitas!! We used to have toco tuesday, I must reinstate that!!! My ringtone is BORING! my phone keeps breaking so I dont want to purchase anymore..lol

24 Melissa December 28, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Oooooh! That oatmeal sounds good. I don’t like plain oatmeal, so I will have to try this.

25 Melissa S. December 28, 2008 at 7:51 pm

ohhhh…what a great day! love the fajitas…totally jealous!

my ringtone is that new nickelback song…i already forgot what it’s called. haha.

26 runningwithfood December 28, 2008 at 8:25 pm

Gotta love being spoiled by the moms and pops!! I love visiting my parents … always make me feel like a kid again! ๐Ÿ˜‰

27 eatingbender December 29, 2008 at 12:13 am

Looks like we have a wide variety of tastes in ring tones :) Thanks everyone for sharing!

28 HangryPants December 29, 2008 at 7:17 am

I love fajita night at your house!

I don’t know the name of my ringtone, but my phone is always on vibrate anyway.

29 Andrea [bella eats] December 29, 2008 at 8:36 am

Aaaahhhh! I need fruits and veggies too!!! I’m so over the sweets, but I just can’t stop eating them!

Glad you’re having fun with great eats!!! :)

30 Meghann December 29, 2008 at 9:44 am

I want to start rereading the Twilight books right now, but my Sis is borrowing them.. *sniff *sniff

I know what you mean, my stomach was yelling at me for too many sweets I am overloading on fruits and veggies this week!

My ringtone is the generic one that comes with the phone as I am way to cheap to buy any…lol

31 lauren December 29, 2008 at 11:04 am

i just started reading Twilight and cant stop! need to get the other ones asap so I have them ready. my ring tone is boring now – some default one. But it used to be “push it” by salt n pepa. :)

32 Mariposa December 30, 2008 at 9:27 am

a little late on the ringtone… but mine for my better half is Green Light- by John Legend.. : )

just wanted to say my daughter LOVE LOVEs the Target monster trail mix! she just asked me yesterday why we havent bought it in a while..i’ll have to go to Target this weekend!

33 Lara December 30, 2008 at 11:34 am

I am in need of fruits and veggies, too! ‘Tis the season, I guess!
Your lunch is almost identical to my breakfast this morning ๐Ÿ˜‰