Let’s Not Remember the Alamo…

by Jenn (eating bender) on December 29, 2008

I’m a bit depressed right now :( My Wildcats just lost in overtime at the Alamo Bowl. I’m a little (actually, a lot) emotional right now. I know it sounds silly to be upset over a football game, but I think it’s more than that. It’s really because the end of this game really solidified the fact that this is my last year at school. I can’t believe it’s almost over…and I’m really, really bummed.

Good thing I wrote most of this post beforehand…

**I finally made the Workouts tab I’ve been promising. Check it out and feel free to laugh at the ridiculous picture. It’s not too detailed yet, but I have big plans in 2009.

I slept in again this morning until 9:30. I’ve really caught up on sleep lately, which is nice. I stumbled around for 1/2 an hour before deciding on breakfast. After hearing about how delicious this breakfast is from Shelby, I told myself last night that I would make it for breakfast today…and I actually remembered!

dscn0846

It was my take on her Chocolate Pumpkin Oatmeal. In my new holiday bowl that I fully intend to use year round because being “jolly” is always a good thing. The key ingredient was the Chocolate Brownie ZBaR, but my bowl also included the following:

• 1/3 cup oatmeal
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 large banana
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1 tsp. maple syrup
  • 1/2 Chocolate Brownie ZBaR

dscn0848

This was such a great combination. Thanks, Shelby! I topped it off with a mug of Coffee Cocoa and was perfectly full for more than 4 hours!

dscn0840

I spent the morning working on my Workouts tab and reading Eclipse. Yes, if you’ve been following along (I’m sure you’ve been glued to the screen), I finished the re-read of New Moon last night and am now on the third book of the series. Glorious.

Around noon, I decided I still wasn’t hungry enough for lunch, but I wanted to get moving so my brother and I headed to the gym. Before we left, I snagged an Orange Cranberry Gnu Bar – the last of all the flavor samples I received. Expect a review of all of them soon!

dscn0853

At the gym, I did a similar workout to Saturday that included:

• 20 minutes on Cardio Wave at resistance level 22
  • 20 minutes on treadmill alternating 6.0 – 7.5 mph at 1.5%
  • Ab work (3 sets/12 reps oblique twist @ 50 lbs., 100 reps captain’s chair)

I think 20 minutes is my maximum on both the Cardio Wave and the treadmill. I go stir crazy on them (even with a television) for some reason! The elliptical is really the only cardio machine that can keep my attention.

When we got back, I was ready for lunch. I kept it simple and started with leftover salad from last night’s dinner, which included romaine lettuce, tomatoes, red onions and cucumbers with 2 tbsp. miso vinaigrette.

dscn0858

With the salad, I made myself a bowl of Kashi Go Lean and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I had about two cups of the cereal.

dscn0863

After lunch, I went down to the lot where my parents are building to help my mom out with a couple of decisions. I came back and read some more of my book, and then it was GAME TIME!

dscn0869

I decided to be the ultimate college student and drink a beer while watching the beginning of the game. All we had to choose from was Samuel Adams (my dad likes it), which isn’t my cup of tea (or beer), but it was all part of the experience 😉 We also had a cheese and cracker platter to snack on until dinner was ready: Kashi and Wheat Thin Chips with brie, cranberry goat cheese and pepper jack.

dscn0875

For the main meal, we had French Onion soup courtesy of Costco.

dscn0876

Along with a hefty piece of herby foccacia bread, which was amazing. It was so doughy and soft – you would never know it wasn’t homemade. It kind of looks like pizza!

dscn0872

And for dessert, I had a Sarris Peanut Butter Santa. Oh heaven – this was like the ultimate Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup!

dscn0882

And then…heartbreak. Not much more I can say.

Random Question

Do you use chapstick?

I thought this question was fitting since winter is upon us and the dry air never fails to bring chapped lips. I love ChapStick Classic (the red one) because it gives a little bit of color and always works really well.

1 Marianne December 29, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Yummy, or should I say “jolly” looking oats 😉 Too bad we don’t have Zbars here, I’d love to try them out.

As for chapstick – I use Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm. It’s my absolute fave!

2 Heather Eats Almond Butter December 29, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Sorry about the game :(

I love Zbars on top of my oats – especially after they melt a little. Mmm.

I am a chapstick addict as I cannot stand for my lips to feel dry. My favorite is Nanak’s Lip Smoothee – almond flava :)

3 Caroline December 30, 2008 at 12:07 am

Chapstick is pretty much the only thing I ever wear on my lips. I’ve recently branched out to the SoftLips brand–I *need* something on my lips in these dry winter months!

PS We watched a bit of the NWestern game too…bummer:(

4 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) December 30, 2008 at 12:20 am

Love the new bowl!

5 Sharon December 30, 2008 at 12:21 am

Oh wow, I really have bad chapped lips. And I use it all the time, but really, I always forget to bring it when I’m out the door.

Delicious eats, and I love your festive bowl.

6 sarahannmatheny December 30, 2008 at 1:20 am

I’m a Burt’s Bees girl too. I like gloss too, but hate when my hair gets caught in it!

7 Pearl December 30, 2008 at 1:51 am

is it true that you can become addicted to chapstick?

i swear i’ve gotten addicted to chapstick. i now have a tube of aquaphor with me wherever i go, and if i reach in my pocket and find myself without some type of moisturizing lubricant for my lips, i freak out. :)

i love the body shop’s shea chapstick :)

btw your salad looks yummy!

8 Moran December 30, 2008 at 1:58 am

i am addicted to chapstick. I actually have an ultra-big one (at least for here; it weighs 30 grams) and it even goes under my pillow at night!

9 Sophia December 30, 2008 at 2:47 am

I SO want your bowl! It’s so super! The chapstick I’m currently using now is from SkinFood, it’s made from shea butter and tastes like apricot, which is so awesome! I love flavored chapsticks…it’s like applying something sinful! muhaha!
man that french onion soup looks good even though it’s a frozen entree, right?

10 tiffanie December 30, 2008 at 4:25 am

that foccacia bread looks amazing! *drool*

11 Erica December 30, 2008 at 5:08 am

ugh- I’m so sorry they lost! I’m with tiffanie- that foccacia looks sooo good! I am also addicted to chapstick. I have been since probably middle school when I use to use Bonnie Bell Strawberry Kiwi. Now I’m onto more regular stuff 😉

12 Lindsay December 30, 2008 at 6:37 am

mmm that oatmeal & french onion soup looks so yummy!

sorry to hear about your team losing :/

I am addicted to burt’s bees chapstick – cant go anywhere w/o it!

13 GlidingCalm December 30, 2008 at 6:50 am

I use all diff. kinds of chapstick constantly. The rink is HARSH on skin/dryness.

And can we stop taking perfect pictures now? Thanks. 😉

Happy Tuesday lover bee!

14 chocolatecoveredvegan December 30, 2008 at 7:01 am

Haha at first I read the question wrong and thought it said “Do you use chopsticks?” Yeah, chapstick is definitely a must around here, because our climate is really dry too.

15 Shelby December 30, 2008 at 7:21 am

Thanks for trying my oats! Your look scrumptious =) I love the add ins too.

I put chapstick on every 5 minutes…no really haha. I’m kind of obsessed. I used to always get really chapped lips in the winter months but now I never do because I’m always making sure I have a thick layer of chapstick on. Plus I love the way my lips get silky smooth.

16 Sarah December 30, 2008 at 7:37 am

there is nothing wrong with being emotional over a football game! The whole city of pittsburgh is depressed whenever the steelers lose!

I LOVE your new oatmeal bowl.

I am absolutely addicted to Burts Bees chapstick. If I don’t have some on me I start freaking out and all of a sudden my lips feel like theyre so chapped theyre going to bleed (even if they were absolutely fine the second BEFORE i realized i was burts bees-less.) Hmm…mental problems much? haha. I have so many tubes of it—I keep one in every jacket and bag I own as well as around the house so there is always one nearby. What can I say, I’m crazy!

17 Jill December 30, 2008 at 7:45 am

The french onion soup looks so good!
I’m addicted to chapstick! I put it on constantly, but I’m pretty picky about it. I hate when it is kinda sticky or basically comes off right away! My fav. is the spearmint C.O. bigelow lip shine from bath and body works.

18 VeggieGirl December 30, 2008 at 7:46 am

Aww, don’t be depressed, girl!! Besides, all that food would make ANYONE feel happier 😀

I use a vegan chapstick – lemon-lime flavored :-)

19 Aimee December 30, 2008 at 8:09 am

i have a Vanilla Mint Chap-Stick at my desk right now.

20 ksgoodeats December 30, 2008 at 8:27 am

Sorry about the loss! Pepperjack cheese and foccacia = total yum!

Chapstick I use: Either cocoa butter or (more currently) C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Balm

21 jenngirl December 30, 2008 at 8:35 am

So sorry Jenn! I understand completely, and even though I’m only a junior, it’s kind of starting to hit me that this coming year is IT. It’s scary and exciting and sad all at once. Hey, at least it’s been one hell of a ride :)

Glorious oatmeal, workout (I hear ya on being stir crazy sometimes), and readingggg!! I decided that Eclipse just might be my favorite in the series…

I absolutely use Chapstick! the classic either cherry or strawberry is my favorite, it smells good, and I like that it kind of “plumps” my lips just a bit :)

22 Megan December 30, 2008 at 8:51 am

I use Burt’s Bees Beeswax chapstick, its my favorite and has a minty tingle to it which I love 😀

23 Quinn December 30, 2008 at 9:04 am

Cranberry goat cheese????? That looks ah-ma-zing!

I use Chapstick some of the time, but my fiance is addicted. He’s got a tube in his car, in his pocket, at his desk, on his nightstand — there is always one within reach!

24 HangryPants December 30, 2008 at 9:30 am

Sorry about the football game! I know it’s depressing to know college is coming to a close, but there are wonderful things in your future – I just know it!

Definitely use that jolly bowl all year! Love the breakfast.

Oh yes, I use chapstick constantly. My current flavor is a vanilla one that is Whole Foods brand!

25 sweetandnatural December 30, 2008 at 10:08 am

Sad about NU – but at least it was a good game. I’m a little bummed too. My sister (the journalism major) said it was being called the journalism bowl b/c it was the two top journalism schools playing against each other. Did you hear about that?

I’m addicted to chapstick – what I call every brand of lip balm, sort of like kleenex for any tissue – but I prefer Blistex brand. :-)

26 Dommi December 30, 2008 at 10:15 am

Hey, Miss Eating Bender. I’m Dommi; I just started my own blog :]

So sorry about the disappointing loss last night!! I’ve gotten emotional before when my favorite team has lost. Glad you were able to stay merry this morning, though, even if it came in the form of a fun holiday bowl ;] (Btw, I totally encourage you to use it all year!)

I’m reading through your workout tab now… it looks great! Best of luck in ’09, girl. I know you can achieve all your goals, and I’m so happy that you’re setting them big :]

27 Deb December 30, 2008 at 10:24 am

I use Carmex especially during these cold Buffalo winters. It is the only thing that works for me.

28 Melissa S. December 30, 2008 at 10:39 am

i’m def a chapstick kind of girl…i use the normal one in the black wrapper…or the vanilla mint..soooooo smelly yummy!

29 Fit Bottomed Girls December 30, 2008 at 10:40 am

I love me some chapstick and blistex and carmax. I’m a fiend! lol.

30 runjess December 30, 2008 at 11:08 am

I use chapstick constantly. I have like 3 kinds in my purse.

31 Angela December 30, 2008 at 11:28 am

haha love the workout pic! NIce arms!! 😀

I use lip balm (Blistex)- in a dish/pot. Not the cleanest thing, but I try not to think about it. I LOVE this stuff.

I use it 1763286 times a day.

Angela

32 Kelly Turner December 30, 2008 at 11:28 am

haha great picture! I use chapstickl- but thats about it. no gloss or lipstick, not my style. I like carmex.

Kelly Turner

33 zestycook December 30, 2008 at 11:33 am

hey bender, sorry about the game…. food looks amazing as per always – I just checked out the workouts tab… love it!

zesty

34 Karla December 30, 2008 at 11:41 am

Sorry about the game! I kept checking in to see how it was going while I was reading…that’s disappointing the result wasn’t what you wanted. I’m used to losing at football so I don’t even really know what it’s like to win sometimes 😉

Love the new workout tab! As far as chapstick, I dig the Softlips with SPF. Good luck with finishing your reading!

35 Halie December 30, 2008 at 12:07 pm

I get really chapped lips, but I actually hate using lip balms because after a while my lips feel hot and clammy, especially if I put some on before bed and then wake up with that feeling. I stay hydrated with water, my lips have enough hydration that way.

I need to stock up on my vegan chapsticks though, thanks for the reminder VeggieGirl!

36 lauren December 30, 2008 at 12:12 pm

I started reading twilight yesterday and am halfway done. I am obsessed.

as far as chapstick – yes, I use it all the time – probably too much. Rosebud Salve is my stuff – the minty flavor is great!

37 Katie December 30, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Have you heard that the New Moon movie is coming out in November of 2009? I can’t wait for it to come out!

And yes, I adore my chapstick. I have some in my room, in the car, in my purse…I’m kind of addicted 😛

38 Jessica December 30, 2008 at 4:35 pm

You are a senior at arizona?!?!?! ahh!! I am a freshmen at arizona!!!

haha! ok I am way too excited right now, how did you do all the food when you lived in the dorms freshmen year? I get some pretty legit groceries and eat pretty similar to all you bloggers, but I wish I had a stove or toaster or smoothie blender in an apartment like I think you may have?? haha! ah! that’s so excitingl!! Did you eat and workout healthily freshmen year too? What were your dorm room staples?

39 Jessica December 30, 2008 at 4:35 pm

You are a senior at arizona?!?!?! ahh!! I am a freshmen at arizona!!!

Oh, and burts bees chapstick for me! :)

40 limberkimbers December 30, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Sorry about your Wildcats :/

And definitely YES on the chapstick.. I have a bunch of different kinds but I really like Palmer’s Chocolate Mint and then the plain old blue chapstick kind.

41 Sara December 30, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Yum, your oatmeal looks amazing! I’m addicted to chapstick and I have to buy the large packs of them, because I loose them ALL the time! I agree 100% with you, original cherry is the bet because it adds a bit of color!

42 Meg December 30, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Love the bowl and all the eats!!! I am not big on Chapstick, but sometimes I use the Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers

43 Ann December 31, 2008 at 7:20 am

Aw, too bad about the game. :(

I use Burt’s Bees. It does the trick, and it’s gloss sticky either. Makes a good base for thicker glosses/lipstick too.

44 runningwithfood December 31, 2008 at 7:57 am

Sorry about the bowl game!

I just had to reply to your question about chapstick … I’m addicted to the stuff. Actually, chapstick, lip gloss, Vasoline, whatever … I’m not picky. I just have to have something on my lippies. I’m so badly addicted that I even carry it with me when I run!! I’m a weirdo. My friends all make fun of me. My favorite is the American Girl lip gloss from Bath and Body Works. It tastes good too! :)

45 healthy ashley December 31, 2008 at 12:12 pm

I keep chapstick in business!

Actually, lately I’ve fallen in love witht he Kiss My Face organic chapstick, but I always have several kinds with me at one time!

46 Sammie January 1, 2009 at 5:41 am

I have a serious lip balm addiction. I have one in every coat pocket, in my bathrobe, and in random drawers throughout my house. My hubby knows that before bed he must kiss me before I apply my bedtime layer. My mom is the same way – she passed on her obsession.