Eating “Green” With Blogging Friends!

by Jenn (eating bender) on January 3, 2009

Hola colas :) By now, many of you have probably figured out who I met up with last night, since I’m the last to post about it! I was fortunate enough to get the chance to meet Heather (and her husband Chris), Gina and Melissa for a blogger dinner in Phoenix!

dscn1014

We had a great time and for the record, all three of these lovely ladies are just as sweet and fun in person as they are on their blogs. It’s so incredible to be a part of a community of “friends” from all over the country because when you finally do meet up, it’s like you already know them and conversation is easy!

We met at a restaurant called Green Vegetarian (although we all got momentarily lost trying to find it, haha)! I decided to get the Thai Peanut bowl with brown rice and crispy tofu.

dscn1012

It came with a ton of veggies and tasted great – although I will say that it was more spicy than I thought it would be. That wasn’t a problem since I LOVE spicy food, but it really didn’t taste like peanut! Oh well!

Backtracking a bit, I started out yesterday with a big bowl of cereal – the usual double serving of Kashi Go Lean with 1/2 serving of PB Puffins.

dscn0990

After breakfast, my family and I had a date with the golf course, so I quickly got ready and made myself a Coffee Cocoa to bring with me.

dscn0994

After the round, we came back and had lunch ready and waiting for us. Every year, my mom uses the leftover HoneyBaked Ham to make Ham Bone Soup.

dscn1002

She uses water and spices as the “broth” and adds in pieces of ham and a huge variety of beans and lentils. She lets the soup stew with the ham bone for a few hours before pulling out the bone and serving.

dscn1004

It’s amazing stuff, and we always have plenty of leftovers, too. On the side, we had a plate of cheeses and salami. I wasn’t feeling the salami, but I did eat several pieces of the gruyére and gouda cheeses (the top white cheese and the bottom white cheese on the plate).

dscn1011

I had about 8 or 9 crackers with cheese. These Triscuits were amazing – one was cracked pepper and the other was tomato and cracked pepper. Yum!

dscn1000

After lunch, I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and read some more of Breaking Dawn (yes, I’m on the fourth and final book in my “re-read” now so you’re almost done hearing about it) but was soon out of time and needed to get ready for the bloggie get together! Then I went and met the three ladies (and Heather’s husband, Chris) for dinner and had the awesome time I told you about above :) When I got home, I had to make something I had promised my mom for New Year’s…

dscn1018

Cherry Pie! We were supposed to have it for New Year’s Eve but we were feeling too full. Last night the opportunity presented itself and I went for it. It was MUCH better than the one I made on Thanksgiving because this time I didn’t pre-bake the crust. That was the key. It came out perfectly browned (not burnt) and my mom really liked it.

dscn1020

I didn’t have a slice because I was full from dinner, but my mom gave me her crust (I told ya, I’m a crust girl through thick and thin) and I must say, I was quite pleased with myself!

Random Question

If you could talk to one kind of animal, which would it be and why?

I would probably say cat or dog because I’ve seen so many movies where that happens and it’s probably ingrained in me that it would be the most logical :) But something crazy like a rattlesnake might be worthwhile, too, since I could tell it to stay the heck away from me!

1 VeggieGirl January 3, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Incredible meet-up (love Gina, Melissa, and Heather!! and you!! haha :-D )!!! Hell yes for spicy food; but boo to it not tasting like peanut :-(

STUNNING PIE!!

If I could talk to one kind of animal, I’d want to talk to a dog. I love dogs :-D

2 sweetandnatural January 3, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Yay blogger meet-up! I think I’d be a Persian cat – cuddly when you want to be, aloof when you need to be, agile as all heck and cute and fluffy!

3 Meghan January 3, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I am so glad you had such a greet blogger meet up:-) Your pie looks scrumptioussssss!

I would want to talk with a DOLPHIN <3333

4 Erica January 3, 2009 at 2:58 pm

What a GREAT post! The blogger meet up sounds like so much fun! You look adorable ;) Your pie is really beautiful…you did a GREAT job. I would def want to be able to talk to dogs- especially Frank!

5 Brittany January 3, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Yay for meeting Gina, Melissa, and Heather!! And your dish looked amazing.

The cherry pie looks as though it turned out perfect!

If I could talk to one animal it would dogs… actually thinking about it, I think that was be really cool!! Maybe one day someone will invent something so that we can. :)

6 Sharon January 3, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I’m a crust girl too! And looks like a fun and delicious time you guys had!!

7 bobbi January 3, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Blogger meetups so fun!!!!

8 Shelby January 3, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Cute pictures and great food. Delish!
Love the huge bowl of cereal, I could just eat cereal all day everyday if I didn’t need my greens.

If I could talk to one animal it would be a lion, my favorite animal =)

9 Jill January 3, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Glad you had a great blogger meet up! That pie looks delish!

10 carolinebee January 3, 2009 at 4:30 pm

You girls look so cute, that is SO perfect to go to that fun veggie place, I always have the hardest time coercing my friends into trying adventurous or “healthy” restaurants with me!! I would probably want to talk to cats, b/c I have one…that would be ca-razy I would LOVE to hear his opinion on things!

11 Amanda January 3, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Bats.

Juuust kidding.

Dolphins, maybe? Just from reading the Ring of Endless Light, and all that. Wow…pre-teen fiction geeks, we are. :-P

I’m so jealous you got to meet bloggies! If you’re ever in the Bay Area lemme know! Juliet from YummyDietFood.com lives in the Bay, too, I think, and a couple other people.

12 Nicole January 3, 2009 at 5:32 pm

You all are so pretty! It looks like fun!

I feel like I’m the last one to jump into the Twilight wagon, but I am starting to read it soon!!! Wooooo!

13 Danielle January 3, 2009 at 5:37 pm

A dolphin would be my first choice, or a giraffe. Ha no real reason just 2 of my favorite animals.

14 marafaye January 3, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Gorgeous pie, jealous of the meet-up…

Oh, and I’d love to talk to my pets, whether they’re cats or dogs, just to hear what they’re thinking!

15 Maggie January 3, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Looks like you had an awesome time! I’m on Breaking Dawn right now (but the first time through). I just sped through the whole series in less than a week. I’ve been reading a lot :P And staying up wayyy too late.

16 ksgoodeats January 3, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Jealous of the meet up!!

Great eats as always – I love how your family has appetizer stuff incorporated into meals as well.

I would love to talk to my dog because she has QUITE the personality!

17 Marisa January 3, 2009 at 7:24 pm

That’s so cool; what a fun night!

I’ve been meaning to ask you, what is the Coffee Cocoa that you drink in the mornings??? sounds interesting and yummy!

18 runningwithfood January 3, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Sounds like a fabulous night with the bloggie gals! How fun!!

I know I have an e-mail from you I have to respond to … sorry, I’m SUPER slack these last few days!! ;)

Your momma’s soup looks delish, as does your beauty cherry pie!

I’m a crust gal myself … if I had to choose, I would skip the filling and just eat the crust!

19 Lindsay January 3, 2009 at 8:12 pm

what fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am def a crust girl too!!!

20 Meg January 3, 2009 at 8:33 pm

How fun to meet up with fellow bloggers and dinner looks yummy!

I am a crust girl too!

I would love to talk to my dog.

21 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) January 3, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Yay for a dinner with fellow food bloggers!

The soup and pie look amazing!

22 Sarah January 3, 2009 at 9:59 pm

yayyyy for a great blogger meetup, i’m SO jealous!

i would want to talk to a fish because i want to know what the heck they think about all day long without dying of boredom!

23 Olga January 3, 2009 at 11:02 pm

aaww, I love blogger meet ups, I would love to be a part of one someday!

That cherry pie looks incredible!

And I’d probably also want to have the ability to talk to a dog…Since it’s a “man’s best friend,” wouldn’t it be the complete package if you could talk to it too?

24 Sara January 3, 2009 at 11:27 pm

What a fun blogger meet up! Oh my, your cherry pie looks delish.

If I could talk to one animal, I agree with the majority and would talk to a dog. I don’t have one now, but I grew up with dogs and I think any dog would have SO MANY stories to tell about their owners! :)

25 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 3, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Hi Jenn! Oh my gosh – your cherry pie looks amazing…straight from the pages of a cooking mag!

Chris and I just got home after a long day of traveling. So glad I got to meet up with everyone out in AZ before we came home!

I would love to be able to converse with my dogs. Sometimes, I’m just so curious as to what they are thinking. Plus, I hate when they don’t feel well, and I don’t know what is wrong. So sad. :(

PS – Just finished New Moon So glad Edward is back. :)
PPS – Loving my new Mac!

26 Caroline January 4, 2009 at 12:44 am

How fun that you got to meet up with some blogging buds! I wish I lived closer to some foodies!

I think I would want to talk to either dogs (just because I love them!) or cows. Despite what others might say, I think cows probably have a lot to say–they have lots of time to ponder life out on the open prairie.

PS I promise I am not insane.

27 Hangry Pants January 4, 2009 at 6:41 am

What a fun blogger meet up! I didn’t know you were so tall!

Your cherry pie looks delicious.

I think I would pick cats because I love them and I would want them to explain to me how they know to go in a litter box, so I could help dogs do the same.

28 Aimee January 4, 2009 at 7:30 am

It is always nice to meet new friends!!

I would want to talk to my pup…then I could explain to her why she should not eat the headphones to my ipod like she did last night!

29 Lindsay January 4, 2009 at 7:50 am

i saw your comment on my blog about the smoothies and i found that adding double the ice makes it extra thick :) have a good sunday!