White Out. And not the quick dry correction fluid!

by Jenn (eating bender) on January 11, 2009

It was INSANE in Chicago on Saturday. Nonstop heavy snowfall ALL. DAY. LONG! It’s very pretty to look at since I’m currently snuggled in with my pajamas and blanket :) But I can only imagine how much of a mess it must be for everyone who has to be driving through it.

I have had a pretty busy weekend so far, but I can’t complain because none of it was homework…yet. After I finish writing this post, it will be time to get some actual work done! Well, after I read and catch up on all of your blogs. I have my priorities in line.

I started out my Saturday with a de”LightFull” new product sample.

The kind people over at LightFull Foods sent me a case of their Satiety Smoothies to try. Here’s a description from the company site:

Just because you’re watching your calories doesn’t mean you should have to eat fake foods. LightFull is the only smoothie out there that is only 90 calories and all natural too. Instead of using sweeteners that come from a chemical plant, we use erythritol, a low calorie, all natural sweetener that is found in many fruits and vegetables. Why should you care? Not only do natural products taste better (no funky aftertaste), but artificial sweeteners like Splenda and Equal have not been proven to be safe in the long term. So why risk it? It does cost a little more to keep LightFull all natural, but our bodies are worth it!

Yesterday I tried the Strawberry Bliss flavor. It was really good: very light and almost milky in texture. It definitely felt more like drinking a smoothie than drinking yogurt, which I liked. I’m sure that these would be really good bases for smoothie recipes, too. I’ll have to try it out!

The rest of my breakfast was a Greek yogurt “mess” with a container of Fage, 1/4 cup Kashi Heart to Heart, 1/4 cup Peanut Butter Puffins and 1/2 banana. Above you see it all nice and pretty, and below you can see it all mixed up and messy.

And to cap off a stellar breakfast

I spent the rest of the morning doing a workout from home since it was so miserable outside. I did a squat + lunge workout followed by a Biggest Loser Cardio session on ExerciseTV. It worked up quite a sweat! Tomorrow (Monday) I’ll be starting the P90x training program. I’m so excited!

Then Bobby and I went on a very special mission. I was armed with weapons:

For Christmas, I was lucky enough to receive not one but TWO gift cards to Whole Foods. I guess my family knows me pretty well! One was from my parents, and the other was from my cousin Lisa. She also included a bunch of coupons for some of my favorite products! She rocks!

We trudged through the snow (another great workout) and I came back with a lot of great stuff! The coupons really helped and the total came to roughly $85. I still have some money to spare on the cards for next time!

I bought some of my old favorites, as well as some new products to try! Let me know if you have any questions on what’s in the picture.

When we came from the store, I was hungry from all the walking and ready for a nice lunch! I started out with an Arnold sandwich thin and two tbsp. Barney Butter. One was on the inside of the thin and the other was spread out over the top. I like this method!

I also had 2 oz. of deli turkey topped with 1 tbsp. garlic hummus.

And a part-skim mozzarella cheese stick.

Altogether for a filling and oddly shaped lunch!

Bobby and I spent the rest of our afternoon watching episodes of Lost and checking in on the football games. I can’t think of a better way to spend a snowy day. Then we made plans to hang out with some of his friends and play Mario Kart Wii. Before we left, we made omelettes!

Mine was a 1 egg and 2 egg white creation filled with chopped red, green and yellow peppers, 1 oz. deli turkey and 1/4 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese. It was topped with some Annie’s Smokey Maple BBQ Sauce.

On the side, I had 1 cup of brown rice topped with more BBQ sauce.

And for dessert, I broke out the chocolate! I tried a mild Ivory Orange. It was really good and I think I’m going to have to start buying more orange chocolate. It’s a great combination.

I also tried the Habanero Dark Chocolate. It burned!

We spent the rest of the night playing Mario Kart Wii with his friends.

Random Question

What’s your favorite video game?

I’m not sure if everyone enjoys them, but I loved a good video game when I was little! I grew up playing Super Mario Bros. and I have to say that Super Mario 3 is my all-time favorite.

I am off to answer questions on my last post and catch up on my blog reading!

1 chocolatecoveredvegan January 11, 2009 at 2:47 pm

hehe I just got a wii for Christmas, but Super Nintendo– my childhood fave– will always take top spot in my heart!

2 Kelly Turner January 11, 2009 at 2:48 pm

haha now i notice your carpet every single time.

Kelly Turner

3 sweetandnatural January 11, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I got a gift card to Whole Foods for Christmas too! And one to Trader Joe’s. It’s amazing.

My fav. video game…hmmm…I don’t really play video games much, but in the past year I was obsessed with Wii bowling and Guitar Hero for different periods of time. I kick butt at the Wii bowling, but am terrible in real life!

4 carolinebee January 11, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I never played video games as a kid b/c i’m a only child- but I’m hooked on Wii now!! I looove the Mario Kart, i always play Toad 😀 I’m excited to hear what u think about P90x, Tony is the shee-it! He’s not annoying like a lot of video workout instructors, he doesn’t yell or anything. I just bought Almond Breeze and I’m obsessed! It’s not as thick as soymilk which I like- I want to try the chocolate one next…have a great Sunday lady.

5 Sara January 11, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I’m excited to hear how you like PX90.

I love video games! In fact, my hubby brags about me to his friends because no one elses wife plays video games! :) As a kid we had Super Nintendo and I loved The Legend of Zelda. Now, we have a Xbox 360 and I’m obsessed with Fable II.

6 Marisa January 11, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Those Lightfull Smoothies are great! I love the Cafe Latte flavor!

Yummy looking lunch!

7 VeggieGirl January 11, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Ooooh yes, TONS of snow here too – I couldn’t leave the house on Saturday because none of the roads were clean (nor my driveway)!!

Glad you liked the smoothie!!

Love how you spread the AB on the inside AND the outside of the sandwich thin – holy yum!!

**Favorite video game = Mario Kart!! :-)

8 theskinnyplate January 11, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I love looking at grocery hauls. Not a big fan of video games, but when I was little I loved to play super mario.

9 Danielle January 11, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I love playing wii fit now but I have to agree that super mario 3 is stillmy favorite!

10 Halie January 11, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Classic Super Mario Brothers!! I miss playing it! I like the original and Mario 2 even though it was really hard for a young child, and I LOVE Super Mario 3!! So many fun memories of playing and getting my aunts to get me to the next level!

I hope the sunshine from my area makes it to yours!

11 Shelby January 11, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I wish I got gift cards to Whole Foods, I would have gone insane with joy! haha Great groceries, you bought many of my favorites =)

Favorite video game? Either the old-school Playstation (the first one) Spyro series (I used to play this for HOURS!), or the old Mario Party games.

12 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) January 11, 2009 at 3:54 pm

haha I also got 2 giftcards to Whole Foods with Christmas and was so excited by them!!! :)

I can’t help ya out with favorite video games, last time I played a video game was ages ago! Although I’d love a wii console and a wii fit. :) :)

13 Melissa January 11, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I really like Lightfull Smoothies. I am not sure if they actually fill me up that much more than other snacks, but they are pretty tasty.

Dr. Mario=best game ever!

14 Rachel January 11, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I always wonder if people mix up everything in their breakfast bowls or just spoon through the layers, ha! I do both.

And I’m on board with the classic Mario Brothers games too!

15 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 11, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I’m 100% old school Super Mario Brothers. Nothing tops it in my book.

Wow, you racked up at Whole Foods. I love the Jay Robb protein powders – nothing artificial and sweetened with stevia. So good!

Look at those layers of Barney Butter. Brilliant. Wish I could find those Arnold Sandwich Thins in N’ville. :(

Good luck with your studies!

16 Marianne January 11, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Rockband is TOTALLY my favourite video game. Love to wail away on the drums. MarioKart Wii is pretty cool too, and if we’re going old school, I have to say Tetris or Bubble Bobble.

17 Erica January 11, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Hey girl! Look at all of those goodies from WF’s! Love that place! I still haven’t gotten the courage up to try almond breeze. I need to just do it! How excited are you for the new season of Lost? I can hardly contain myself! Hmm fav video game- I loved Kings of the Beach (nintendo volleyball) and of course mario

18 Hangry Pants January 11, 2009 at 4:41 pm

The smoothies sound delicious! Great review.

Lots of wonderful whole foods goodies there. It was nice of Bobby to go with you. I think I spent a little too much time in the supermarket for Mark sometimes!

I really like your Barney Butter method on the Sandwich Thin! That way you get some inside and some on the roof of your mouth, which is perfect!

19 Meg January 11, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I have seen those Lightfulls and wondered about them. Lucky you getting WF’s gift cards. You got a lot of great stuff!

20 Sharon January 11, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Wow, what an amazing trip! You guys were well prepared with your weapon of choice, coupons!!! SmarT!!!!

21 Kristie January 11, 2009 at 5:11 pm

WOW that’s quite the grocery haul you got for only $85! Gotta love coupons. I cut them out, save them etc all the time but we always forget to use them. Doh.

I had intentions of making eggs for dinner tonight and now seeing yours with BBQ sauce, I KNOW I’m going to be adding that. Never tried it before but I’m always looking for some excuse to use BBQ sauce and I can’t believe I’d never thought of eggs. Mmmm.

As for video games, I don’t know if I can choose a favourite. I used to be somewhat of a junkie, my brother and I would play for hours. Any of the Mario games really, the Zelda games, Banjo Tooie… any of those adventure-y RPG games really. Most recently though would have to be something like Guitar Hero or DDR. Man I miss the days of getting completely engrossed in video games though, those were fun! haha

22 ksgoodeats January 11, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Ugh – the snow HAS GOT TO GO!!! I’m tired of it now!

Glad to know the smoothies are good. I wonder how the cafe latte one is? As a coffee addict, that flavor sparked my interest!

I see the new Clif bar :) It is 100% yum – honestly I wouldn’t lie! I hope you like it! Love all the other groceries too!

23 Lindsay January 11, 2009 at 6:09 pm

i bought p90x today, but i probably wont start until feb or so b/c i need to get the pull up bar thingy… yay – i cant wait :)

ive seen those smoothies and have been intrigued :) they look yummy :)

24 Kate January 11, 2009 at 6:52 pm

O come on! Supermario is still classic. And awesome. I am so nervous to make a whole foods run b/c I think i’d spend SO much for what I’d get:( But everything there is awesome.

25 ttfn300 January 11, 2009 at 7:05 pm

wow, so much good food!!! don’t know where to start :)

i don’t have a fav video game… i was deprived;-) lol, jk

26 Missy (Missy Maintains) January 11, 2009 at 7:30 pm

The smoothies look yummy! I will have to try them out if I see them in stores! I love the way you spread the Barney Butter on the sandwich thins! Great idea! I love those things!

As for video games, I used to be obsessed with Paperboy on Sega Genesis! And I have to admit, I got a Playstation just so I could have Spiceworld!! I was a dork! I would love to get a Wii now so I can get a Wii fit!! Just gotta save up some money!

27 Allison January 11, 2009 at 7:46 pm

I love PB puffins!

Your whole foods trip looks fantastic – it looks like you got a ton of awesome stuff! Have a good week!

28 Erica January 11, 2009 at 7:56 pm

owwwwwwwwwwwwww its on 😉

29 Meghann January 11, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Favorite video game now: Guitar Hero.. Favorite from my youth: Dr. Mario

I wish I had gift cards to Whole Foods for Christmas… I will have to push it for my Birthday! :)

30 Mel January 11, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Nice grocery haul! Looks like you got a ton of stuff too!

My favorite to play will always be old school mario, but I like watching my friends play Grand Theft Auto, only because of the commentary that comes out of it!

31 Melissa S. January 11, 2009 at 9:20 pm

ohhh…jealous of the gift certificates!

i don’t like video games…i guess i’m old school and just like mario brtohers!

32 Marissa January 11, 2009 at 9:31 pm

I love Mario games!

33 runninghigh January 11, 2009 at 10:09 pm

What is the new Clif flavor??

34 Sweet and Fit January 11, 2009 at 10:14 pm

whole foods looks like it was so much fun! I feel like a kid in a candy store when I go there.

35 jenngirl January 11, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Oh snow, I can’t believe it’s snowing there and it’s only like 50 degrees here! Crazy weather…

All of your food looks so good today! I like that Barney Butter method, I’m all about getting the most of my spreads :)

My favorite video game of all time is Nintendo 64’s Waverunner. So old school right?

36 bobbi January 12, 2009 at 12:02 am

your plates are sooo cute, love all the groceries! Oh and I am so loving Rock Band right now, I love all the interactiveness!!!

37 sarahannmatheny January 12, 2009 at 1:42 am

Any bowl with PB Puffins IS a bowl full of jolly!

You cleaned house at Whole Foods!

Tetris is the best video game EVAH!!!

38 Lara January 12, 2009 at 3:14 am

Hey thanks for getting back to me on the tofu shirataki noodles! Good info to have 😉
Sooo jealous of the WF gift cards! What a great gift! It’s still hard for me to stomach that that food came to $85, though. Ah, the price of being healthy!

39 Kristie Lynn January 12, 2009 at 4:07 am

I loved me some Sonic the Hedgehog 2 when I was younger. I used to play for hours and would only stop when I got a headache (unhealthy much?)! But now I must say I do love to pass the weekend time with some Rock Band… music + video games = sweetness! :)

40 Sarah January 12, 2009 at 5:45 am

what a great idea with the pb spread inside AND outside the sandwich, it provides for total pb maximization!–i’m totally trying that!

i used to LOVE mario kart!

41 Andrea (Off Her Cork) January 12, 2009 at 6:05 am

I think we are just now starting to get some of your snow. 😀 I love video games so here’s some of my faves:
Resident Evil 4
Gears of War
Ratchet and Clank

I could keep going but I’ll stop there.LOL

42 seeleelive January 12, 2009 at 6:34 am

hey hey heyyy eating bender!!! PLEASEE PLEASE PALEASE do a review on that macadamia nut clif bar–i cannot wait to see how it tastes love!!!!!

43 dailygoods January 12, 2009 at 7:11 am

mario kart!!!

44 eatingbirdfood January 12, 2009 at 7:12 am

I was wondering what kind of ice cream you bought and if you have had that brand before- the two pink and blue containers on the left in your grocery picture? I’ve seen it in stores, but didn’t know much about it.

When growing up we had the regular Nintendo and then didn’t get another system until Playstation. So my favorite games were regular mario and duck hunter for Nintendo and Crash Bandicoot for PS. Isaac got a Wii for Christmas so I obviously like that now too.

45 Erin January 12, 2009 at 9:49 am

That sounds the a nice afternoon with Bobdiesal. I bet the snowfall was a nice touch. But yeah, driving in it – scurry.

46 zestycook January 12, 2009 at 10:14 am

WOW where to start bender! Great title… great writing and not too mention the food looks amazing. I am really liking that omelet. Great idea. I cannot wait for you to guest blog on zesty.

47 HeatherBakes January 12, 2009 at 10:30 am

I’m drooling over your WF purchases- but what is that red/yellow/green thing on the far right? Looks interesting…

Guitar Hero, by far. I just bought DDR for Wii and that seems fun, too- but HARD.

48 limberkimbers January 12, 2009 at 11:12 am

I LOVE Mario Kart Wii! I never played MK as a kid but I own it now and play often! As a kid I was a fan of the Mario games too! The 3rd was for sure the best!

49 runjess January 12, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Oooh I love your pb sandwich. I would put a banana on top.

50 healthy ashley January 12, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Two WF gift cards and coupons? You are a lucky girl!

51 glidingcalm January 12, 2009 at 5:46 pm

mario kart THE OLD SKOOL ONE, and golden eye…..for N64!

lovin the bbq on the rice. im craving some good bbq after my chicken bust. like a nice smokey plate of ribs or chicken…..or even pork…speaking of which, WF makes WONDERFUL bbq…if you can find a grocery store with a bbq booth/area/thang.

boo i dont want to start school either! 2 more dayssssssss

yumy eats. i need to get more whip so i can make more coffee cocoa!

52 Chelle January 12, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Right now we’re addicted to Mario Kart, and mario super sluggers (?). I know I should say that I’m addicted to wii fit……….but…….naw, mario is just too fun!

53 Quinn January 12, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Great bargains at the grocery, and some delicious looking eats. Back in the day were SuperMario 3, Sonic the Hedgehog, and ToeJam and Earl (yea, I know). We now have a Wii and I love the sports game or Rock Band is a good one for parties. Have a great night!

54 gina (fitnessista) January 12, 2009 at 8:33 pm

i love the grocery pic! so much fabulous stuff 😀
the almond breeze milk is my favorite, but i just ran out of it
hope you have a wonderul night

55 eatingbender January 12, 2009 at 9:12 pm

runninghigh ~ See my next post 😉

56 Nicole January 12, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I love Super Mario 3!! I have a tanooki Mario tattoo!!