Check and Check

by Jenn (eating bender) on January 19, 2009

Paper 1? :mrgreen: Check.

Paper 2? :mrgreen: Check.

Ladies and gents, it has been a “Monday” that will go down in the history of worst Mondays ever. Case in point: I accidentally turned off my alarm at 6:30 am and proceeded to wake up at 8:40 am when I am supposed to arrive at work promptly by 8:30 am. Yeah, I’ll just leave it at that.

The good news is, my co-workers were very understanding and assured me that they’ve been there and done that. I stayed a little later to make up for lost time and all is well now. But as a Type A perfectionist, I’m sure you can imagine that I was not a pretty sight this morning! Many frantic calls to friends and family were definitely made.

I’ll try to put all the stress aside and stick to the eats. Obviously, this morning was grab-and-go as fast as possible, so I headed for two “comfort foods” in the form of Coffee Cocoa and a White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Clif Bar.

**Shout out to Katy for trying my recipe! I’m glad you liked it!**

I’m glad I chose these two because they actually did their job and calmed me down before I got to the office. No need to show just how much of a nervous wreck I was, right? I spent the morning being my most productive and eventually took a break with a co-worker for lunch. We went to Panera and I had another source of comfort: the You Pick Two. I got the Garden Vegetable soup and Greek salad with a whole grain baguette. No picture, but here’s an old one from the archives:

I felt much better after I had some more food in me. I went back to the office and worked for a little while longer and left feeling much happier and confident that everything is going to be ok. Mistakes happen, and I need to realize that I don’t have to be so worried about what others are going to think because we all have those days.

I came home and finished working on my second paper. I’m now in the editing stages, so it’s all uphill from here. After I felt good about where I stood on my school work, I dove into my workout for the day. As it’s Monday, it’s back to the Core Synergistics workout that kicked my butt last week. Once the paper writing is over for the week, I’ll be able to add all the workouts to my tab so that it will be easier for you all to refer to them as I go.

After my workout, I made myself a refueling snack.

I combined a container of Chobani with a handful of both blueberries and blackberries, then crumbled a Cream Cheese Cookie Bar over the top. Delicious!! These bars are definitely better the next day because it gives them more of a chance for the flavors to meld together.

Once I finished eating, I cleaned up and headed over to the studio to run the teleprompter for tonight’s newscast. Then I came back and made myself a medium-sized dinner.

I heated up two egg whites in the microwave and added them to a La Tortilla Factory wrap covered with a layer of spinach and reduced-fat Mexican cheese. This combination was easy and tasted great. I added a couple tablespoons of Sabra hummus at the end, after these pictures were taken.

Now I must get back to editing my papers and catching up on blogs! Just a note, if you asked me a question in the comments recently that I haven’t answered, would you mind asking again? I’ve lost track and want to make sure I answer anything that I’ve missed! Thanks.

Random Question

Today’s random question starts with a meme. Melissa recently tagged me (thanks!) so I will answer and then ask you all something at the end!

P.S. I’m shortening some of my answers!

4 Favorite Memories from 2008

1. Starting this blog

2. Traveling to China for Spring Break with Bobby’s family

3. My amazing summer internship at a PR firm in downtown Chicago.

4. Running a 5k for 5 Years

Favorite Movie in 2008

Twilight!!!!!! A million times over Twilight!!!!!

4 Favorite Foods of 2008

1. Greek yogurt

2. Nut butter

3. Oatmeal

4. ALL OF PAPA BENDER’S MEALS!!! Hey dad :) You know it.

Favorite Book of 2008

Twilight Series!!!!

4 Things to Look Forward to in 2009

1. Graduating from college

2. Starting a new job (fingers crossed)

3. Starting a new “life” with Bobby :)

4. Upping the intensity of my fitness (perhaps running a few races)

BONUS: I’m looking forward to being happy!

Yeah, so I cheated a bit and didn’t answer everything. My brain is too tired! But I invite you now to answer this question: What are four “dreams” you have for 2009? See the MLK Jr. reference in there? πŸ˜‰ Happy Birthday to him!

1 healthy ashley January 19, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I love everything about your 2008 + 2009! I can’t wait to hear all about your upcoming adventures!

Congratulations on getting your papers done. Sorry about getting to work late- I know how tough that is :-)

2 Meg January 19, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Sorry about the late wake-up! As a type A, I would have felt the same way! Love all the eats and 2008/2009.

3 Mel January 19, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I know the feeling of waking up late for work! It sucks, but at least you made it through!

My big two dreams are the same two things you are looking forward to in 2009: graduating and finding a new job!

4 Shelby January 19, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Congratulations on getting your papers finished, I’m supposed to be writing one myself =P

Love the Clif bar, lunch, and snack! Those berries look so flavorful and fresh.

5 Kristie January 19, 2009 at 10:02 pm

One of my biggest fears is sleeping in. It happens to everyone at least once though, I swear! At least your work was completely understanding though. :)

And good job on getting the papers done, wow. I wish I were more organized with my time management. I should take some notes on how to be more Type A from your notebook.

Love your quick 08 recap. Lots of Twilight love going on eh? I really need to see the movie now that I’ve finished reading the first book!

6 Sharon January 19, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Good thing your coworkers were awesome! Don’t worry too much about sleeping in, we all do that sometimes!

And a trip to China? That is superb!
Great eats, like always!

7 Ryan January 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Oh, late wake-ups definitely happen sometimes! I have to set 2 alarms to make sure I don’t turn one off accidentally! Otherwise it sounds like you had a really productive day! Maybe it was all of that extra sleep you got πŸ˜‰

I love your excitement for Twilight! Those books seriously got into my head and I can’t stop thinking about them (it’s been about 3 weeks since I finished). Seriously, the best books.

8 Hangry Pants January 19, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Hey there Jenn, I didn’t know you went to China! So cool. I am excited for your life w/ Bobby, too!

I am sorry you had the work mishap. It is the same kind of thing that would have put me in a tizzy, too!

Good idea crumbling your cream cheese bars up! Yummmy. Have a better Tuesday! πŸ˜€

9 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 19, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Hey Jenn,
So sorry about the rough start to your morning, but it’s so true…we’ve all been there. I’m glad your coworkers were understanding, and I’m sure it was a much bigger deal to you than it was to them. It sounds like you work hard and are very dedicated…so no more worries. Tomorrow is a new day!

Finally found those Clif bars at Whole Foods. Can’t wait to try them. :)

China – wow. You and Bobby are so cute – that is my first Bobby sighting!

I didn’t know you liked the Twilight books…or the movie. Really? :)

My Ode to MLK…In 2009, I wish to be more consistent with my yoga practice, to continue blogging as I’m enjoying every minute of it, to do more trail running, and to really watch the budget.

PS – Loved your BONUS. Great positive attitude!

10 Andrea January 19, 2009 at 10:27 pm

2 of my FAVORITE things in this post: white choc macadamia nut clif bar and PANERA!!!!!! yayyyy. you’ve come a long wway with this blog and you truly are E for excellent like your award!!!

11 Olga January 19, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Argh I am also always so anxious about lateness! I know it happens to people all the time but I just hate when I do it! But you seemed to get through the day pretty well! =]

Wow, a China trip? That must have been fantastic!

12 sarahannmatheny January 19, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Oh kiddo, mornings like that are so rough, and then you just have this horrible pit in your stomach all day. It’s okay…cut yourself a little slack. You are so good at what you do, you are worth the wait, right?!

Yea for the MLK salute…I found I Have a Dream on YouTube and made Chris and Gracie listen to it. Pretty powerful stuff.

Hope tomorrow goes much more smoothly!!!

13 Marianne January 20, 2009 at 12:04 am

We all have a day where we totally sleep in – crap happens, it’s not the end of the world.

I love all these Panera meals I see…I need to take a trip down to the States and try it out one day.

14 Nicole January 20, 2009 at 1:21 am

mmmmmmm, i love that soup from panera!

15 Pearl January 20, 2009 at 2:31 am

congrats on finishing your papers!

*looks at own guiltily*

16 Lara January 20, 2009 at 3:38 am

Type A to Type A, I totally feel ya. Sounds like a rough day, but with a happy ending at least! Lunch looks delicious (is it safe to assume your co-workers don’t know about your blog? I never know how to handle that). Hope it’s a better Tuesday for you, Jenn!

17 wholefoodswholeme January 20, 2009 at 4:50 am

ahh honey i totally understand the stress of getting up too late – it always puts me so off balance, and it’s horrible, but i’m glad you have lovely co-workers who made you feel ok about it πŸ˜€ love your eats as usual, and you have had such a great 2008 and this year will be even better!!

18 Marisa (trim the fat) January 20, 2009 at 5:23 am

Ugh, hate those crazy rushed mornings! Glad you were able to recoup though!

Great eats – looooove Panera!

Yay, for Coffee Cocoa spread across the nation!

My dreams for 2009:

Get to my goal weight and achieve Weight Watchers Lifetime Membership!

Run a 5k race

Learn Italian so that I can finally speak to my family members!

Go on a family vacation to Disney World

Have a great day!

19 Jen January 20, 2009 at 5:46 am

Im so sorry for the start of a hectic day but how awesome is it that your co-workers understood?! :) I would have been a crazy gal too, I hate being late….aka Type A here too πŸ˜‰

20 Erica January 20, 2009 at 5:55 am

oh no! I feel for you- I totally freak out when I wake up late! Looks like the day turned out pretty well though! Love the pic of you two from China- too cute!!

21 zestycook January 20, 2009 at 6:24 am

Oh No Bender – that is pretty funny that you overslept. I feel for you but I did still laugh when I read it :) Your food looks great. I am a huge fan of your after workout snack.

22 VeggieGirl January 20, 2009 at 6:32 am

Girl, you KNOW I’m 100% a perfectionist – I would have just cried all day; but you got through it!! You’re an inspiration, my dear friend!!

Love the meme!! So much to look forward to in 2009!! πŸ˜€

23 Sarah January 20, 2009 at 7:35 am

aww sorry about your yucky Monday morning, but don’t worry, it happens to everyone and your coworkers seem really understanding. I know it’s hard but remember that we’re only human and allowed to make mistakes, so try not to beat yourself up over it too much!

I love the meme–you had a great 2008! My “dreams” for 2009 are starting a new life with a new job, stress less, be more accepting of myself and have fun!

Hope your Tuesday is WONDERFUL to make up for yesterday

24 Beadie January 20, 2009 at 7:39 am

Sorry about your crappy Monday, I had a bad one too.

That yogurt with the berries and the crubled bar looks SO GOOD!

25 dailygoods January 20, 2009 at 7:52 am

oh i hate when i wake up late! then you’ll all flustered for the rest of the day! that white choc macadamia nut cliff bar… oh man, i need it! i can’t find it anywhere! i’ve heard its delicious :) your yogurt bowl with the berries and bar looks to die for!!

26 jenngirl January 20, 2009 at 8:23 am

So sorry to hear your day got off to a rough start, but it sounds like you got through it just fine. Believe me, being late for class will totally ruin my day, so I know how you feel. Here’s a little somethin for ya:

He has been sooo MIA recently!

Anyways, good luck with the rest of this week girl, it’s gunna get better!

27 cassandra January 20, 2009 at 8:24 am

congrats on geting your papers done! i know how it is to be a perfectionist!! Remember that its ok to mess up once and a while, I know it seems tough but you got through it! Your refueling snack looks sooo good! Have a great day!

28 Aimee January 20, 2009 at 8:24 am

Such a nice post!! I’m sure the rest of your week will be great. And like your coworkers said things happened, and it is not worth it to beat yourself up about an honest mistake like sleeping in!

29 ksgoodeats January 20, 2009 at 8:39 am

Aww babydoll sorry for the rough morning!! I’m super type A as well and I know the feeling! I don’t get upset at what actually happened but I’ll get upset when I feel like I’ve let people down and I can’t shake that feeling of guilt in letting other people down :( Here’s to a better day!!

FABULOUS eats though – WCMNUUUUT, Panera, that wrap, chobs with cream cheese bar?! Holy cow!!

My ’09 dreams: continue to work on my relationships with friends, shift my fitness from training to maintaining, travel more, and stay healthy :)

30 Allison January 20, 2009 at 8:41 am

Sorry about your rushed morning!

31 Sarah January 20, 2009 at 8:56 am

bummer about the late wake up but it sounds like everything worked out and your body probably needed the extra sleep. at least your panera looks so yummy!

32 Melinda January 20, 2009 at 9:14 am

aw, sorry about the crazy morning! your 2008 looked AWESOME, i’m so jealous! hope your week is going well :-)

33 Krista January 20, 2009 at 9:43 am

Been there, done that on the sleeping in thing! I can imagine the frenzy you must have been in!

That Clif bar flavour sounds fabulous! Too bad I can’t seem to find it here!

CHINA!! What a great adventure!

34 Sara January 20, 2009 at 9:44 am

Ugh, I’m just like you and I hate the feeling of being late! It makes me feel so irresponsible. Sorry about your Monday. Yum, I LOVE Panera! Your cookie bar over yogurt looks great…I’m really going to have to make those.

35 bobbi January 20, 2009 at 10:21 am

Love all the eats, I need to try those cream cheese bars! To answer your question my dream is to finish the Boston Marathon well, and to get into my Masters program with no hiccups in the way!!!!

36 brandi January 20, 2009 at 10:29 am

good job getting your papers done!

Everyone’s late for work every now and then :) No biggie!

I need to make those cookie bars! yum

37 Danielle January 20, 2009 at 11:24 am

Ah I hate when I have to rush in the morning, not a good feeling and the rest of the day seems to feel rushed as well.
Great job getting those papers done!
I haven’t been to Panera in years, I need to go back soon!

38 runjess January 20, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I understand, I would totally die if my alarm didn’t go off. At least you had a good food day.

39 Erin January 20, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Ooh! That is the worst! I’m so sorry about your morning Jenn! Ugh, what a day. Glad that’s over!
Today is bound to be better. I mean, Obama is president!

40 eatingbirdfood January 20, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Sorry you had such a crazy Monday. I am the exact same way about being late – I absolutely hate it. I feel so bad and then I’m worried how my boss is going to feel about it, when in reality, it happens to everyone at some point. I guess it’s just a perfectionist thing!!

On a good note your Chobani with blueberries and blackberries was very eye pleasing. Great eats!

I hope your Tuesday is going well.

41 carolinebee January 20, 2009 at 5:47 pm

2 papers checked, dayuum girl! Sorry about the sleeping in, you must have needed it! Isn’t that funny that everyone else cuts you slack, yet you are the harshest on yourself!? I’m glad you still got some tony time in πŸ˜€ V. necessary

42 strongandhealthy January 20, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Great fav 4’s! Have a great night!

43 gina (fitnessista) January 20, 2009 at 9:26 pm

ahhh i can’t wait to try the krispy kreme clif bars!
mmm panera! i always get soup and salad from there too πŸ˜€
love the meme– i agree 100% about twilight. i’m 3/4 through the last book and am seriously addicted.
you and bobby make such a beautiful couple!
have a great night!

44 seeleelive January 20, 2009 at 9:29 pm

hey bender—-those clif bars look SPECTACULAR!! i can’t find ’em anywhere near me! BOO.

i have yet to go to PANERA–but it looks good! and girl im glad you felt better as the day progressed-guilt never brings progress!

45 Mama Bear January 20, 2009 at 11:38 pm

ACK – just thought you might like to read about the Clif and Luna bar recall!!

Love the blog, by the way.

46 Sophia January 21, 2009 at 1:01 am

47 runningwithfood January 21, 2009 at 7:56 am

I see some Panera love!! YUM! Gorgy eats, as always, my dear! Have a fabulous day! πŸ˜‰

48 Rose January 21, 2009 at 9:41 am

What a beautiful blue snack!

I love these lists – I definitely have to think up some for myself. Thanks for sharing!

And yes – you know I got a haircut due to our upcoming meet-up! I’m so excited :) I will be sending you an email in the next couple days with details :)

49 elise January 21, 2009 at 10:55 am

whew, i HATE starting the AM in a blur like that…seems like it takes half the day just to get all organized and back on top. glad things worked out, though. for being in such a rush, you grabbed some pretty good eats!

50 Kelly Turner January 21, 2009 at 3:02 pm

ive slept in like that quite a few times. the only thing is, when i do it, it means clients are locked out of the studio waiting for me. needless to say, it costs aus a few free sessions when that happens

Kelly Turner

51 Mariposa January 21, 2009 at 3:08 pm

ohhh i hate over sleeping! i did this morning!! it stinks! fortunately, my co-workers dont really care.. haha

52 Leng January 21, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I hate over sleeping too. It just messes everything up for the day, especially if you had work that day.

Love your recap of the year. I have think back a little bit for my new goals for this year.

53 Sweet and Fit January 21, 2009 at 8:51 pm

your panera meal looks great, I recently went there and had a super crappy meal…oh well, just goes to show that i dunno what to order