Staying Power

by Jenn (eating bender) on February 23, 2009

Poll Results:

• 86% (107 votes): I love it!
  • 0% (0 votes): I hate it!
  • 14% (17 votes): I like the old design better.
  • 1% (1 vote): Other (whoever it was wrote that he or she liked both, which was very sweet!!)

I’m so happy that the majority of you like the new blog design! When I read the announcement that WordPress had come out with a new one, I was really excited because it allows you to customize the background color. I asked my good friend Zesty to help me make some minor changes to my header, and voila! If you haven’t heard, he designs some amazing blog headers (these are just a few)! Check out today’s feature on his site: Apple Bacon Chutney!

For those of you who liked the old design better – I hear you, too! I know Kristie Lynn mentioned that this new design takes a lot longer to load…I will try to see if there is something I can do to fix that. I was definitely debating whether or not I liked this new one better because I really did like the old one! Ultimately, I decided that this design should win the prize for a few key reasons:

• The text area is wider, which means bigger pictures of food!
  • These bullets are really cool stars :) Hey, it’s the little things!
  • The comments are more accessible and I can respond to specific comments much easier
  • Custom colors! I can’t wait to change up the background every once in a while πŸ˜‰
  • The search engine is MUCH better than it was before – easier to search the archives!
  • An overall cleaner design – I hope to share this site with potential employers!

Add to that all of the kind comments and support I received today, and the decision was easy. Now that you know my reasoning, I hope you’ll learn to love it, too. If not, I hope you’ll still enjoy the Coffee Cocoa picture I put in the sidebar :) I was glad that many of you noticed it! Now there’s a link to the recipe so you will always know what I’m talking about! I also moved all of my gifts from lovely fellow bloggers into an Awards tab at the top of my page.

There is so much to say and such little time to say it. I’ll try to keep the text to a minimum from now on so the focus is on the incredibly gigantic food pictures (still can’t get over it). Breakfast this morning had a birdie theme – I’m sure you’ll like it, Melissa!

I incorporated my new bird mug from Secret Cupid Rose into my morning meal via Coffee Cocoa.

Then I made myself a bowl of pumpkin oatmeal topped with Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter. The oats containedΒ  the usual almond milk, banana, pumpkin, ground flax and love.

Work today was pretty awesome! I was actually able to write some copy that might go into a future introduction of a cookbook! I’ll let you know if it ever works out πŸ˜‰ While I was there, I snacked on a Pure Protein bar to hold me over until I got home for lunch.

The bar held me over better than I expected, and when I got home I wasn’t too hungry. But I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to eat a new product that I received a few days ago:

Thanks to Erin’s advice, I am now the proud owner of four jars of PB2 :mrgreen: I think this stuff is amazing. I’ve been mixing it into yogurt ever since I got it and am super impressed with how authentic it tastes. As a “second lunch,” I mixed the “Just Peanut Butter” with 1 cup of Fage and a sliced banana.

Stir it long enough, and you have a melty combination of Greek yogurt + peanut butter.

After lunch, I settled down to work on my two papers that are due tomorrow. The party never stops! Actually, it does stop in just 2 1/2 more weeks. I can’t wait for spring break! Until then, it’s time to buckle down. I finished the rough drafts of both papers by dinnertime. I had to go with something quick and easy before work at the television station, so I heated up a sweet potato and topped it with cottage cheese + ketchup.

I also had a fiber-ific spinach salad topped with deli turkey and Annie’s barbecue sauce.

After work at the station, I came back feeling a little hungry, so I made myself a snack that I thought would hold me over: apple + Laughing Cow. Thanks for the idea, Lee and Kristie! This tasted great. I am now an official apple + cheese convert.

Random Bag Tag

I was tagged by the lovely K a few days ago to share my bag with ya’ll. I’m assuming that this tag has made it’s way around the blogosphere already, but if you haven’t been tagged, I encourage you to share! Currently, I am using a bag I got for Christmas two years ago using an eBags gift certificate (love that site, it has so many options)! It’s from Kathy Van Zeeland.

It looks kind of crazy, but I love it. I usually end up getting purses with funky designs instead of all one color. It’s just my style, I guess! They also have to be medium-sized, so they hold a lot but also don’t get too heavy. My favorite purse accessory: GUM.

Question: What’s your favorite purse style and why? Big, medium, small (“that’s what she said”)?

Purse power,

1 jenngirl February 23, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Yay for your new layout, I love it Jenn!!

Good luck with that paper, as always, keep up with those glorious eats to get ya through πŸ˜‰

Cute bag!! (hahahaha that’s what she saids are the BEST) I like satchel styles, because I don’t like holding things in my hands (that’s what she said) okay I’m done.

And ahhh I’m sooo excited for Eclipse!! I read today that they are about to start filming!

2 kaneil February 23, 2009 at 10:06 pm

What a fun bag! I love it! I used to be a purse-a-holic and now I am a little pickier about my purchases. One major stipulation…it can only have one strap. For some reason, double straps drive me nuts! One is always falling down. :)

I just tried Annie’s BBQ for the first time and LOVE it!

Congrats on the writing opp…I’m sure it will work out!

Kaneil, balanceisbest

3 Mel February 23, 2009 at 10:07 pm

All of your eats look soo good! I would love to find the PB powder, it just sounds so interesting! But it sounds really good in yogurt!

4 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 23, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Yummy eats my friend!! Good luck with the stressful week you have coming up!

5 Emily February 23, 2009 at 10:09 pm

I love your breakfast dishes…so cute!
My purse is usually something medium to large sized..I tend to carry a lot of stuff around at a time!

6 elise February 23, 2009 at 10:17 pm

ok, this pb2 business…am i going to have to get on board, or what?

7 Jenn (eating bender) February 23, 2009 at 11:16 pm

elise ~ Definitely, girl! It is really quite easy to mix and tastes about 1/2 step away from the real thing!

8 gina (fitnessista) February 23, 2009 at 10:21 pm

i saw the dried peanut butter and it freaked me out a little. we actually have it in valdosta! since you said it’s good, i think i might have to give it a try
i’m going to repeat myself and say i LOVE your new blog design– so clean and classy πŸ˜€
what a cute bag! my favorite bag is a giant coach tote that the pilot got me. i can fit everything in it and it’s a great school/travel bag
hope you have a wonderful night <3

9 luckytastebuds February 23, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Hi Jenn!!! I didn’t get to vote, but I LOVE IT!! I’m in the majority :) !! Looks like you’ve been up to lots of new products and fun! I know finals are coming up so I’m wishing you lots of luck and NO pressure at all! Remember…it’s home stretch, so enjoy life! hehee

Take advantage of Chicago restaurant week girlie! I went to NoMi over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I hope Bobby knows about this and is treating you out one night! (It ends on friday!)

10 Amanda February 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Love PB2. Looks good with the yogurt and banana. YUM!

11 Alisa - Frugal Foodie February 23, 2009 at 11:12 pm

That mug is so cute! I must admit, that sweet potato sounds incredibly weird, but the picture is gorgeous.

12 Jenn (eating bender) February 23, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Alisa – Frugal Foodie ~Hahaha, don’t knock it ’til you try it πŸ˜‰ I was scared at first but it really is an unbeatable combo!

13 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) February 23, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Apples and cheese go so well together! Glad you liked it!

14 Hangry Pants February 23, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Oooh I really like that you added the PB2 to yogurt. I love adding nut butters to yogurt, but sometimes it clumps. Hmmmm…

Very cute bag! My favorite size is medium.

15 Caroline February 23, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Hmmm I recognize that birdie cup…from a place that starts with a “Tar” and ends with a “jay.” Super cute!

I tried PB2 years ago when Hungry Girl first discovered it. They’ve introduced the chocolate variety since then, so I’ll be interested to see how you like it!

16 Sarah February 23, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Yum, peanut butter sour cream! Chris’ favorite!

So PB2, I’m sold. Do I get the four pack like you? Which flavor flav is better? I dig sweet and salty, so I know I’m going to love it!

17 Jenn (eating bender) February 24, 2009 at 9:11 am

Sarah ~ I think the four pack is the way to go. I haven’t tried the chocolate yet, but I’ll let you know as soon as I do!

18 martiniwindow February 24, 2009 at 12:04 am

just found your blog and LOVE IT!! your dinner party looked amazing and i can’t wait to try your chicken recipe. your purse is sooo cute – I work at Coach so I know how addicting handbags can be!

19 Lara February 24, 2009 at 3:54 am

I’m so glad you are keeping it :) I love the comment feature, too–it makes it easy to see your responses!
Thank you for your sweet comment on my last post. That was really nice to read!
Love your bag–it’s unique but still classy. I am a fan of big bags! I always carried small ones and then I finally clued in to the trend and I love the extra space.

20 coco February 24, 2009 at 4:13 am

love the big pics!!! it makes your food look even better! πŸ˜€

21 Andrea (Off Her Cork) February 24, 2009 at 5:57 am

About medium sized and messenger bag style. I like having lots of little pockets and compartments. It also must have an adjustable strap so I can wear across my body instead of tossed over one shoulder. πŸ˜€

22 zestycook February 24, 2009 at 6:13 am

Jenn, as usual you have fantastic food! I am really loving the big pictures… shows off your food better. You and your sweet potatoes :)

23 VeggieGirl February 24, 2009 at 6:36 am

Love the breakfast and…. SWEET POTATO!!!!! πŸ˜€

Gorgeous bag!!

24 Marisa (trim the fat) February 24, 2009 at 7:14 am

I love, love, love PB2!!!!!! You HAVE to try it as an “icing” for a Deep Chocolate Vitatop – Amazing!!!! I eat it for dessert often!

25 Sarah February 24, 2009 at 7:20 am

i’ve had the better ‘n peanut butter before but i didn’t really like it, i thought it was too chemically tasting so i’m a little weary of pb2 but since you gave it such a good review, maybe i’ll give it a show.

i like medium bags—i need it to be big enough to hold all of my stuff but if it’s too big it just becomes a bottomless pit and i can’t find anything!

26 Meghann February 24, 2009 at 7:35 am

I love big purses, but I’m so boring. I have a brown purse and a black purse and I just switch between the two. I need to get into the purse craze.

27 brandi February 24, 2009 at 8:02 am

that’s what she said – ha :)

I love your purse! I love BIG bags – my family jokes on me all the time because my purses are so big.

My favorite one right now is the kelly green one I got for Christmas :)

28 Betsy February 24, 2009 at 8:18 am

I love that bird mug so much!! I might have to try & make something like that in my pottery class. :) Joe & I did one very similar for his mom, but it had a little chick at the top of the handle. So cute!

29 Beadie February 24, 2009 at 8:32 am

I am WAY behind in blog reading and wanted to tell you that I really like the new design, I love the red!

30 dailygoods February 24, 2009 at 8:33 am

new blog is beautiful!! i love it and i reallly love that you can customize the colors :) so much fun

31 Aimee February 24, 2009 at 8:41 am

I love that birdie mug :)

I may have to get some of that powdered PB, it sounds like I great product for smoothies! I really didn’t like the better ‘n pb, but I didn’t think to use it in smoothies until it was gone.

32 krissyrigo February 24, 2009 at 8:52 am

I think I’m going to try the PB2! Can I get that at WF? That Dark Chocolate Dreams pb is looking pretty amazing right now too… :)

33 Jenn (eating bender) February 24, 2009 at 9:13 am

krissyrigo ~ I haven’t seen it at WF yet, but I have heard it’s in some random stores across the country. Here’s a link to the company site:

Let me know what you think if you try it!

34 Krista February 24, 2009 at 8:56 am

Love the new blog design and love the bag!!! And of course, I love the eats, too!!! :)

35 Danielle February 24, 2009 at 9:02 am

I love big purses, bu none of mine are as fun as your bag!!!
Love the pb2 mixed into the yogurt that must have tasted amazing!

36 Julie February 24, 2009 at 9:24 am

I’m dieeeing to try PB2…I’m a Better N PB fan but I think I might have to dabble with PB2. I lovee bigger bags but right now I’ve been using my Michael Kors satchel and I just love bags that you can hold from your forearm haha. Cute bag :)

37 ksgoodeats February 24, 2009 at 9:36 am

I said this before but I’ll say it again – LOVE THE NEW DESIGN!!

So could you actually taste the PB when you mixed it in the Greek yogurt? Sounds like a fab combo :)

CUTE bag!! I vary between sizes – small for going out, big for class.

38 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 24, 2009 at 10:07 am

I think I have a tolerance of seeing a tasty new product circulate on blogs for approximately 5 instances before I break down and get me some – PB2 is on deck!

39 Meg February 24, 2009 at 10:29 am

Love your birdie themed dishes!!

Cute bag!

I am a medium sized purse girl!

40 Jen February 24, 2009 at 10:39 am

WOW that peanut butter mixed with Fage sounds AMAZING!!! Im glad that most people loved the changes, its great!!!

41 Leah February 24, 2009 at 10:51 am

I love the blog design!!! Infact i’m using the same one! Mine looks a bit different (I love your colour scheme much better!) but the theme in general is great!!

Your blog is looking fab :)

42 Rose February 24, 2009 at 10:59 am

I love the all-bird display! So glad you got to use the mug :)

Wish I could type more… but I’m out of time. Catch up with you later!

43 Marianne February 24, 2009 at 12:46 pm

That PB2 is very intriguing. I can see it being excellent for mixing into thing like yogurt as you have done. Gotta love the apple + laughing cow as well. I’ve done that on occasion πŸ˜€

44 Shelby February 24, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Hmm, you’ve totally convinced me to switch to wordpress now. Maybe in the next few days or this weekend.

I’m SOOOO jealous of your PB2 stash!!!

45 Kelly Turner February 24, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I love the little bird on your mug!

I like BIG purses- the bigger the better!

Kelly Turner

46 Sara February 24, 2009 at 1:52 pm

The PB2 stuff looks cool! I tried your sweet potato and cottage cheese combo a few weeks ago and I must say…it is delicious! I’m a bit leery of the apple and cheese combo…you haven’t steered me wrong yet. :)

47 Kristie February 24, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Dear Jenn – I LOVE the new layout! Colour changing abilities, FINALLY. I adore red so this layout is right up my alley. And bigger pictures is NEVER something to complain about. Great procrastination productivity!

This PB2 stuff is driving me nuts, I really want it! Did you buy yours in a store or order it online? I don’t anticipate seeing it around here anytime soon and I’m so tempted to buy it online but I just don’t like buying stuff online, I don’t do it often enough and it makes me slightly uncomfortable haha. I think I might have to just suck it up for the PB2 though because it’s just too tempting…

Your purse is SO cute. I love the pattern! I like mine to be medium-sized as well. Tiny drives me nuts but I don’t carry around enough stuff for a big one!

Oh, and glad you liked the apple cow combo :)

48 Heather Eats Almond Butter February 24, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Love the new blog design – the big pictures look amazing!

What a lovely chocolate filled breakfast of love, and so glad you’re enjoying your PB2…good stuff, huh?

Eating Bender featured in a cookbook – that is exciting. I hope it works out Jenn – how cool it would be to see your own writing in print!

I have one rule when it comes to purses – they must be able to go through the washing machine. :) Let’s just say I have several little canvas totes…think REI or Patagonia.

49 alessa February 24, 2009 at 2:32 pm

i think im just going to need to bite the bullet and buy some of that pb2, i feel like you can put it in almost anything! it sounds great.

50 Karla February 24, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Mmm. I love PB2! Also love the new format and the bag :)

Good luck with your papers and finishing things up before your break.

51 ttfn300 February 24, 2009 at 4:57 pm

mmm, apples and cheese. can’t go wrong with cheese. or apples. :) i want to try the choc pb2!! i don’t like purses… only for the sake of not carrying them tho!

52 marafaye February 24, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I love love love the new layout!!!! The header is great too… πŸ˜‰

53 Sharon February 24, 2009 at 9:11 pm

OH wow, PB2!!!!!!

54 Eating Bird Food February 24, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Oh la la… you got an assortment of the PB2. I’m excited to see what you think of the different flavs.

55 Melissa S. February 24, 2009 at 9:56 pm

OMG I love the birdie theme!!! You know me way too well!!!! eep!!!!

and omg that pb2!!! i so wish i could find it somewhere (i’m not a big fan of ordering things online…using my CC makes me nervous somehow…hence why i never ordered the vitamuffins…)

and watch your mail lady…;)

56 TorontoGirloutWest February 24, 2009 at 10:43 pm

What a cute purse!!! It’s almost Pucci-esque in style! :)

57 Leslie February 25, 2009 at 7:30 am

I have a Country Bob’s giveaway on my site!

58 seeleelive (for the love of peanut butter) February 26, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Your eats look magnificent, esp. the sweet potato/ketchup/CC -treo, i cant wiat to try that one when i get home!

and I LOVE the laughing cow with the apple, and i am so pleased I could Spread the love!

and your oats look sooooo good, your pictures are awesome!!

so happy you loved the card, i hope you hang it up somewhere where you can see it a lot and be reminded on how special you are! Hugs!!!!