Eyes Wide Shut

by Jenn (eating bender) on February 26, 2009

Whew! What an exhausting week this has been. Lacking in the sleep department is really starting to catch up with me. I looked like this 😯 in all of my classes today. Except there was red where the whites of the eyes should have been.

Fortunately, with all the running around I’ve been doing, I’ve still managed to squeeze some new meals into the mix. Breakfast yesterday, however, was not new. But old standbys are still delicious.

I had my newest obsession, PB2 Greek yogurt. For those who asked, I ordered PB2 from the website. I haven’t seen it in stores around me, but there is a store locator on the site.

I also had a microwaved egg white topped with Goya. It was served v. fancy on top of my Voskos yogurt lid. What can I say? I was feeling classy.

I snagged a mug of Coffee Cocoa for the road and hi-hoed it off to work.

During work, I multi-tasked through various projects and also took some time to organize my planner. Mid-morning, I snacked on the yummiest of bars: Luna WCMN.

When I got back, I knew I wanted to try something new. I’ve been seeing so many green smoothies around the blogosphere (check out the links to those three blogs for awesome recipes!) and wanted to try one myself. So I pulled out the Bender Blender and Heather’s best friend Jay Robb:

I was excited to try the strawberry flavor in a fruit smoothie. It did not disappoint!! To the Vita-Mix, I added 3/4 cup milk, 1 packet Jay Robb strawberry whey powder, 3/4 container of fresh blueberries, 1/4 cup frozen cherries, 1/4 cup frozen berry medley (strawberry, raspberry + blueberry), 5 ice cubes and my “something green” – a big ol’ handful of spinach!!

This recipe made A LOT of smoothie! I was able to fill one tall glass and 3/4 of a small glass!

I decided to top it with some Bear Naked yumberry goji currant granola a la Caroline.

It was heavenly. It didn’t have the green hue because the other fruits overwhelmed the spinach, which I liked because I couldn’t even taste it in there! It was completely sweet and not chalky – that’s the great thing about Jay Robb. He couldn’t be chalky if he tried! The granola added a nice “crunch” to the first few sips. All of this for 370 calories, 13g fiber and 37g protein? I’ll take it!

After my smoothie lunch, I was feeling quite chilly! I made myself another liquid in the form of Coffee Cocoa to warm up again. I had no troubles getting enough fluids yesterday.

I spent the rest of Wednesday afternoon writing a thesis for my economics final paper and watching Tiger Woods’ first match back in the action :) I’m so glad he’s back! Too bad he lost today. While I watched, I made myself a cheese + cracker plate with Kashi crackers and Cabot 75% Reduced Fat Cheddar. Shout out to Jen from the Cabot Blog! This cheese is awesome.

Toward the end of the match, Bobby came over before our ballroom dance class. We decided to make pizzzzzaaa for dinner! I bought whole wheat crust from Whole Foods a while ago and it’s been sitting in my freezer, so now was the time. We started with tomato sauce + tomatoes.

Then we added a lot of spinach.

And finally, some deli ham and cheese. I used reduced fat Mexican and Bobby added some meunster slices to his side (on the right).

We baked it at 400* for roughly 15 minutes (until the cheese was golden). Voila!

I ate 1/2 of my side (aka 1/4 of the whole pizza) for dinner yesterday and had the leftovers today!

It was so good! There’s no pizza like homemade pizza.

I was still a little hungry after my slice, so I cut up a red pepper and spread Sabra hummus on top.

Then Bobby and I went to ballroom dance! We only have one more class :( Last night we did a review of all the moves we’ve learned so far: fox trot, swing/jitterbug, waltz, chacha, merengue, and mambo. At the end, we started on the tango, which was hilarious. Everyone was bumping into each other! It’s going to take some getting used to. Our teacher gave us a list of dance clubs at the end of class, and Bobby and I might hit up a swing club sometime! I’m so glad he likes it, too!

Random Musings

I received an incredibly thoughtful and lovely thank-you card from Lee today! I was her Secret Cupid :) I totally wasn’t expecting it and she also included a cute collage that I hung up in my room. Thanks, girl!

I was also lucky enough to receive a Kreativ Blogger award from Miss Krista of Krista’s Kravings. She made my day so much brighter and it really meant a lot coming from her because she is such a great blogger!

Thanks, Krista :mrgreen: Or should I say, Kreativ Krista?

Last, but not least:

Word to yo blogga,

1 seeleelive (for the love of peanut butter) February 26, 2009 at 9:52 pm

i am so jealous of your smoothie! and Heather eats almond butter does love jay robb, doesnt she?!! have you tried his bars? they are exquisite.

Thank you so much for the shoutout. It really brightened up my so-so day, seeing that you like it and will see it everyday. I hope it makes you feel as strong and wonderful as we all see you!

Sending love!!! have a goodnight, get some shut eye gosh darnit!!

2 Julie February 26, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Hey girl food looks soooo good :) Wondering what goes in your cocoa coffee? Sounds yummy and I def think I wanna give it a whirl. Have an awesome night :)

3 Jenn (eating bender) February 26, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Julie ~ Here’s the Coffee Cocoa recipe! Let me know if you try it and what you think of it πŸ˜‰ http://eatingbender.wordpress.com/sunday-brunch/coffee-cocoa/

4 Sharon February 26, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Congratulations on the award, and oh wow, pizza looks great!

5 sweetandnatural February 26, 2009 at 10:07 pm

I love how perfectly shaped your egg is! And delish pizza. Melty cheese melts my heart. I think I just went too far with that one…

6 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 26, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Lack of sleep is NO fun! Hope you get lots of rest soon =)

7 ttfn300 February 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm

omg, great eats and cute card from lee :)

8 foodsthatfit February 26, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I love the PB2 and Greek yogurt idea! I have both on hand! Sorry about the lack of sleep, hope tonight is better. The pizza looks delicious. I love to add veggies wherever I can! Love the egg on a yogurt lid, whatever works right?! Have a good night!

9 Emily February 26, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Congrats on the award!
I know what you mean about sleep…hopefully you’ll be able to catch up this weekend!

10 Shelby February 26, 2009 at 11:09 pm

I must get my hands on some PB2…I just must haha

Love the smoothies and ooo that Luna is one of my favorites!

11 snackface February 26, 2009 at 11:09 pm

Jenn, thanks so much for stopping by my blog the other day! I was sooo happy to see your comment! Those lunas are the best of the lunas I’ve tried- yummmers. Congratulations on the award! Enjoy your weekend :)

12 Hallie February 26, 2009 at 11:26 pm

I wish I wasn’t too cheap to try that protien powders. Maybe I’ll cave and just get one to try it out. I think Jay is from my city so I should support a hometown muscleman, I guess.

I was so sleep deprived when I was in college. I’d do the “head jerk” in class from almost falling asleep so many times. Keep your chin up (literally) and remember to keep taking care of yourself!

13 Marianne February 26, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Homemade pizza is my standby πŸ˜€ It really is the best. Your smoothie is totally channelling Caroline! Love it!

PS – what’s goya?

14 Jenn (eating bender) February 26, 2009 at 11:38 pm

Marianne ~ Goya is a Spanish seasoning that my roomie loves! The actual product is called “adobo” – check it out: http://www.goya.com/english/products/product.html?prodCatID=4&prodSubCatID=7

15 carolinebee February 27, 2009 at 12:03 am

Cool i was gonna ask about the goya!! I’m a nerd and think..Spanish painter. Glad dance is going well…hopefully you can RELAX this weekend!

16 Caroline February 27, 2009 at 12:06 am

So many great things in this post!

PB2 in Greek yogurt=genius! I really must bring back some of my PB2 stash over spring break.
Your smoothie looks fabulous! The VitaMix (and your culinary skills) never disappoint. I have that same granola in my cupboard. Oh, and thanks for the shout out:)
That pizza has me craving CHEESE. Nom, nom.

17 Pearl February 27, 2009 at 12:11 am

your smoothie looks yum!

18 landoffruitsandnuts February 27, 2009 at 12:44 am

The dancing sounds so fun, I’m jealous! I also desperately want to try the PB2 greek yogurt combo

19 thelongweigh February 27, 2009 at 1:03 am

Your blog is seriously fabulous! Your smoothie looks delicious! I need to check out the goodness that is Jay Robb.

20 Lara February 27, 2009 at 2:59 am

You seem to have nailed the green smoothie! I love all the protein in that thing and the color is beautiful! :) Thank you for the link–although I would definitely advise anyone reading this to go with your creation instead of any of the ones I’ve tried! Ha.
I know I’ve said it already but I’m really lovin’ the new design. The comment features are my favorite!

21 coco February 27, 2009 at 3:15 am

like your morning combo! isn’t Goya great? I use it for so many dishes!
and homemade pizza looks delish~~~

22 Erica February 27, 2009 at 6:55 am

Hi! I hope you get lots of sleepies this weekend! Being exhausted makes for a long tough day! Great eats today! I love your smoothie. I saw that flavor of jay robb but hesitated picking it up- now I have to give it a go! Great pizza dinner too! I am a HUGE fan of the homemade pizza- we hardly ever actually get pizza anywhere any more :) Have a fabulous weekend

23 VeggieGirl February 27, 2009 at 7:07 am

“Exhaustion” definitely defines this past week :-(

Gorgeous smoothie and pizza!!

So bittersweet that it’s your last ballroom class next time!! Hope you had nothing but fun with it :-)

24 ksgoodeats February 27, 2009 at 7:11 am

So much cheesiness of the foodie kind I love it! Your pizza looks amaze and the fact that it has muenster makes it 10x better :)

Oh Jay Robb and his bulging biceps! I have a packet of the vanilla kind in my house that I need to try – especially since it gets Miss Eating Bender’s seal of approval!

Have a great weekend, chick!!

25 Sarah February 27, 2009 at 7:49 am

mmmm pb2 greek yogurt looks so good! that’s such a sweet collage lee sent you–i love stuff like that and have a pretty similar one that i made hanging up on my wall!

have we discussed how we both highlight our planners like that? TWINNNN!

hahha, have a great weekend and treat yourself to something special—you deserve a little break!

26 Kate February 27, 2009 at 7:55 am

fabulous eats girl! I have got to find this pb2 now…esp eince I love any kind of nut w/ my greek yogurt! I recently talked to a friend a/b a place called Cereality in chicago?? Have you ever been there? i was just so intrigued b/c apparently it’s like a cereal-lovers dream! HA and CONGRATS on the award!!! You so deserve it.

27 Meg February 27, 2009 at 8:02 am

Congrats on the award!

Love the pizza!

Hope you catch up on your sleep!

28 Mel February 27, 2009 at 8:37 am

Your smoothie looks so refreshing! I’m going to have to go on the look out for Jay Robb!

29 Allison February 27, 2009 at 8:52 am

That pizza looks heavenly! I love the idea of adding full slices of cheese!

30 brandi February 27, 2009 at 8:56 am

LOVE homemade pizza :)

I’m glad things are going well – even if it is still busy! It seems like things have calmed down a bit in the past few weeks.

I hope you’re taking pictures or measurements for the P90x! I want to see if you look like those people on the infomercials :)

31 Marians eats. The italian way February 27, 2009 at 9:05 am

Looks like it was a very spinach day for you! Yum! Lovin the green spinach in the smoothie!

32 jenngirl February 27, 2009 at 9:07 am

I’m glad it’s (almost) the weekend so you can get some rest Jenn!! And I love all your eats, I’m not a smoothie person, but you just sold me on the Jay Robb’s!! Uh ohhhh…

That thank you note from Lee is so sweet!! Have a happy Fridayy!

33 Melissa February 27, 2009 at 9:22 am

That Jay Robb’s powder is amazing. I have never liked protein powder before I tried it last week!

34 Krista February 27, 2009 at 9:49 am

Your welcome on the award…you deserve it!!!

I love the way your egg whites always turn out!!! Like little balls :)

Great looking pizza! I could almost smell it!

35 Hangry Pants February 27, 2009 at 10:03 am

Hey Jenn, Your pizza looks delicious. I love how Bobby added another cheese layer. Sounds just like Mark.

36 Natalie February 27, 2009 at 11:16 am

I have PB2 & Greek Yogurt! I can’t wait to try that concoction…I bet it’s amazing :)

37 sarahdbelle February 27, 2009 at 11:42 am

Your pizza looks fabulous! And thank you for the wonderful pb and yogurt idea!
Have a great weekend!

38 Maggie February 27, 2009 at 11:47 am

You should definitely try making your own pizza dough! I have a good recipe for it on my recipes page. I’ve tried the green smoothies, but I can’t get into them. Glad you liked it though :)

39 CabotJen February 27, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Hey, thanks for the shout-out! ^_^

Congrats on your award – that’s so cool! As usual, everything looks divine. I like Jay Robb’s protein powders for the variety of flavors in them, but I almost get like a sugar rush when I have them! I must be the only person in the world who finds Stevia too sweet! lol

40 Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday February 27, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Pizza looks great!

I am diggin’ the egg on the yogurt lid.

41 Emily February 27, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Your homemade pizza looks delicious!

Hang in there with the craziness! We’re almost to Spring break. :)

42 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) February 27, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Congrats on the award!

Mmmm, homemade pizza!

43 Jen February 27, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Congrats on the award!!! :) :)
YUMMY eats!!! that PB2 greek yogurt sounds amazing! mmm

44 Kelly Turner February 27, 2009 at 1:30 pm

haha- i could not for the life of me figure out what that egg thing was.

Kelly Turner

45 Heather Eats Almond Butter February 27, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Loved your classy plate at breakfast.

37 grams of protein in your smoothie?!? Nice! Hot damn, that Mr. Robb is sexy. Hehe. :) He actually kind of scares me.

Glad you and Bobby have enjoyed your dance classes – can’t believe they’re almost over.

Cute Lee – love her!

Have a good weekend Jenn.

46 seeleelive February 27, 2009 at 2:45 pm

hey EB!! pb2 just emailed me letting me know they want to send me free samples, and i know u use it-could u maybe do a post of different ideas to use PB2? i see it with maple syrup and stuff, but i would loveee some ideas!!

47 Danielle February 27, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Love your homemade pizza, why I never thought to put spinach on mine is a mystery, but something I’ll have to remember for next time!

48 Kelly's Belly February 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm

That pizza looks incredible! Looks like you had a tasty day

49 glidingcalm February 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm

too much to comment on

PIZZA- drool

your placemats- SO PRETTY AND NEAT

your lid as a plate- delightttttful. and so something I would do….well, have done.

hummus on veggies- MY new thing- SO GOOD.

oh and NON-CHALKY protein powder?!- gotta try that!!!! the smoothie sounds bomb. too bad I am FUREEEEEEZING. I duno how you drank that?! i’d be shaking/shivering in my boots. (of cold) errr. im tired.

50 Brittany February 28, 2009 at 8:17 am

I hope you can catch up on your sleep this weekend… no more red eyes.

Your homemade pizza looks delicious. Quick question about your baking pan… what is the wire thing on top with the orange outline??

And, in response to your comment on my blog – I am in total need of some girl friends. I’m packing my things for Chicago right now… hehe. I wish. But I am packaging something else for Chicago… be sure to check your mail next week :)

51 elise February 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm

DUDE! is that a straw BUILT IN to your smoothie cup! omg, i must find one of those asap!!!