Sleepy Saturday

by Jenn (eating bender) on February 28, 2009

I slept in until 9:30 am!! That is HUGE!! As a girl who spent the majority of her 21 years sleeping in until 11:30 or 12:00 on Saturday mornings, these past two years have been quite an adjustment. Ever since I made the commitment to eating better and exercising, I’ve found that I naturally wake up earlier. Is that odd? Anyway, I typically have been waking up between 6:00 and 6:30 am on weekdays, so the extra 3 hours was much appreciated!

Before I get to some food, I wanted to let you know that I posted the recipe and nutrition information for the smoothie I made in my last post. Find it here: Very Berry Goes Green.

When I woke up this morning, I wasn’t very hungry. I don’t think I’ve mentioned this, but I am joining Gina in the commitment to intuitive eating for Lent. I think it’s a really great concept because in past years, I’ve always given up certain “bad” foods. What I really need to focus on is getting out of my “regimented” eating habits – breakfast at 8, lunch at 12, dinner at 5, etc. – and learning to eat when I am hungry. What better time than NOW to give myself a kick in the butt and start actually practicing what I know I should be doing anyway?

That was a tangent. But what I was trying to get at was the fact that since I wasn’t hungry, I waited until I was hungry before deciding what I wanted to eat. Ultimately, I decided a simple bowl of cereal was all I really wanted.

dscn2266

I spruced up the usual monotony by adding some fun toppings. I combined 1 cup of Nature’s Path Puffs with 1 cup Kashi Go Lean with 3/4 cup skim milk, and added 1 sliced banana and 1 tbsp. ground flax for extra flavor.

dscn2270

There was also some Coffee Cocoa action as I began editing one of my papers.

dscn2272

Next order of business: PB2. I received a question about it from the lovely Lee:

seeleelive:

hey EB!! pb2 just emailed me letting me know they want to send me free samples, and i know u use it-could u maybe do a post of different ideas to use PB2? i see it with maple syrup and stuff, but i would loveee some ideas!!

Well Lee, you’re in luck! If you click on this link for the company website, you can find an abundance of different ways to use PB2! Everything from savory to sweet is there! Of course, my favorite recipes so far are the PB2 + Greek yogurt combination:

dscn2234

Or the “PB2 icing” I put on my oatmeal in this post. Hope that helps!

CALLING ALL QUESTIONS!!

As you all know, it’s been a very busy quarter, and although I’m not intentionally trying to slack on answering blog questions, I know that I’ve missed a few here and there. I want to make up for that, so I’ve decided to create a FAQ page!

Here’s the scoop: If you have any general questions about me, the blog, or anything relevant to my daily lifestyle (from the way I exercise to the way I eat to the recipes I’ve created and everything in between), now’s your chance to ask! Leave me a comment in this post by March 13 and I will compile them into a separate page on the blog. I won’t have time to answer them fully until spring break, which is why there’s such a long deadline. I’ll be sure to post reminders here and there.

Note: I will use my own discretion in determining which questions to answer. You can be critical, but also try to be nice! ;)

I decided that instead of my “random questions,” I am now going to end each post with news from around the blogosphere. There is always something going on, right?!

Around-the-Blogosphere

I’m off to the gym! Have a great Saturday, everyone!

Word to yo blogga,

sig7

1 coco February 28, 2009 at 12:22 pm

my first question is how you make your coffee? the steamed milk? why it looks so good?!!!! :D

2 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) February 28, 2009 at 12:23 pm

I love eating cereal with banana! My favorite is Cheerios with banana!

3 Bec February 28, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I slept in this morning too, it was amazing! Hope you have a great Saturday.

4 marafaye February 28, 2009 at 12:33 pm

OMG I love sleeping in! I had one of those random mornings today that I voluntarily woke up at 6:30…and I was annoyed!
Your breakfast looks yummy too!
I’m going to follow you on Twitter, and you can follow me…this is so fun!

5 jenngirl February 28, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Intuitive eatins is definitely something I’m ready to start working on as well…my meal plan is very specific to me, and I know that sometimes it’s good to break out of the routine!

Ooo and FAQ page sounds fun, I’ll try and think of a good question!

Have a good gym seshhh…and congrats on winning those cards!

6 Shelby February 28, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Mmm, cereal. Now I want some!

7 VeggieGirl February 28, 2009 at 12:39 pm

“Ever since I made the commitment to eating better and exercising, I’ve found that I naturally wake up earlier. Is that odd?”

Not odd at all – that’s fabulous!! :-)

**Here’s a question for ya = How has having a blog affected you as a person??

8 foodsthatfit February 28, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Mmm! I love the PB2 and yogurt idea!

9 Sharon February 28, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Oh wow, love your bowl of cereal!!!

10 Sarah February 28, 2009 at 12:49 pm

good idea to focus on intuitive eating instead of giving up something. that’s what i did for new years too—for as long as i can remember i had made it my resolution to exercise x amount, lose x amt of weight, eat x amt of calories, dont have dessert, blah blah blah. Well, needless to say that never works and then i’m just disappointed with myself. You’re idea is so much better and I can’t wait to hear how it goes for you.

I’ll have to think of some good questions for you!

11 Chocolate-Covered Katie February 28, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Thanks for linking me, Jenn! I’ve entered you.

And thanks for the pb2 info. They asked me if I wanted free samples too, so I’m excited to look at recipes to see what one does with the stuff!

12 Moran February 28, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I feel the same – when I eat well and exercise, my body just gets so used to everything and I sleep just the right amount of time!
Can’t wait to see the FAQ page!

13 Krista February 28, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I see you in your cereal spoon….!!! :)

A FAQ page is a great idea as is mentioning the blog news!

14 Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) February 28, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I can never sleep in anymore…never!

Way to rock the intuitive eating Jenn. I’m working on that myself. You’re on Twitter?!? Well I must start following you.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

15 seeleelive February 28, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Sleeping in is HUGE for me, too!

way to go with intuitive eating. i am on the bandwagon, too! i have difficult rationalizing a snack before bed, so I am def. going to work on that! I do well 4/7 days a week, but i want to improve to make it a habit of going to bed satisfied and not wanting to wake up with an Out of Control Grumbly-tum!

Have a wonderful dayyy!

16 bobbi February 28, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I am now following you on Twitter:)

17 Maggie February 28, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I’m trying the intuitive eating thing too – good luck!

18 Sophia February 28, 2009 at 1:26 pm

pb and greek yogurt sounds so good and natural, I wonder why I didn’t think about that myself before! genius, you!
my question: do you find yourself counting calories of your meals all the time? Do you plan out your meals by what you want or by your calorie target?

19 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 28, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Yay for intuitive eating! Isn’t it crazy how hard that can be sometimes!!

Have a WONDERFUL saturday my friend!

20 Emily February 28, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I’ve definitely tried to be more of an intuitive eater this past year.

PB2 looks really great!

21 Lara February 28, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I find that on mornings when I sleep in, it takes me a little longer to get hungry, too. I wonder why that is. I’m glad you caught up on some sleep, though!
I need to check out that book! Definitely need to work on my intuitive eating!

22 brandi February 28, 2009 at 2:07 pm

have a great day!!!

love that you’re focusing on Intuitive Eating. I need to read that book soon

23 Julie February 28, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I just bought PB2 yesterday! I’m so excited for it :) I’m pretty sure that I’m about to try your coffee cocoa recipe at some point today :) thanks for the recipe link!!

24 Sarah February 28, 2009 at 3:27 pm

go you on the intuitive eating!! and wow, 9:30 is AWESOME!!! i wish i could have managed that this morning …

25 Jen February 28, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I love it!!! – the Intuitive eating for Lent!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYY

FAQ page sounds awesome! I need to put on my thinking cap :D

26 Sarah February 28, 2009 at 4:57 pm

My intuition says:
1. Buy PB2 NOW!
2. Make Coffee Cocoa RIGHT NOW!

Have a great Saturday, my friend. :)

27 glidingcalm February 28, 2009 at 6:22 pm

stop being so cuteeeeeee!

mmm cereal . drool

28 cleanveggiex3 February 28, 2009 at 6:56 pm

love the whole eating when you want idea! I had the whole regiment eating too, but I find listening to my body is so much easier and makes choosing what I am going to eat easier too because I am actually hungry and know what i want.

the cereal sounds delicious too :)

29 erinbee February 28, 2009 at 7:59 pm

i added you to my blogroll.
hope thats alright with you!

30 Jenn (eating bender) March 1, 2009 at 11:21 am

erinbee ~ Thanks! I can’t find a URL link with your name – which blog is yours? I’ll pay you a visit!

31 gina (fitnessista) February 28, 2009 at 8:25 pm

i totally agree about waking up earlier when you eat well and exercise– it just naturally happens. i used to be able to sleep the day away… still hate the mornings though :D
i LOVE that i have another intuitive eating buddy! it’s actually been a challenge so far to get out of the regimented eating habits, especially since i was so calorie-focused. if i knew i allocated 200 cals to something, you can bet your booty i was going to eat every single one of those 200 cals!
hope your weekend is going well <3

32 Meg February 28, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Glad you got some sleep! Congrats on winning the exercise cards!

33 Melissa S. February 28, 2009 at 8:59 pm

great job w/ the intuitive eating! I am def trying to get into that habit too, esp out in the field when i get really really bored! i’m jumping on yours and gina’s bandwagon for lent!

and yay for sleeping in! i totally know what you mean! though i’ve never slept in that late (nooners) i did used to sleep in till 9.30ish! haha! now 7am is pushing in the sleeping in buttons! haha!

have a great sunday!

34 Marisa (trim the fat) February 28, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Jenn, thanks so much for your nice comment on my blog! You are awesome! I hope you enjoy your NURU cards, too – they are so cool!

Great job with the intuitive eating! I am actually reading a book of the same name and am learning so much. Looking forward to putting it into practice :)

35 elise February 28, 2009 at 10:08 pm

when’s the blogger book club starting? (maybe not really the kind of faqs you had in mind?)

happy saturday lovee

36 Jenn (eating bender) March 1, 2009 at 11:22 am

elise ~ Haha! I’ll try to get it organized during my spring break, too!

37 Marianne February 28, 2009 at 10:41 pm

Hmmm, seems everyone is getting on the Twitter bandwagon. I might just have to check that out myself.

38 Leah March 1, 2009 at 12:35 am

I never sleep in very often….
For example.. it’s Sunday morning at 6:30am and i’m awake commenting on blogs! lol. I agree with you, ever since I started blogging, exercising and the like i’m always up early!

I think it’s a great idea to do a FAQ page!
Your site keeps getting better and better!

39 Caroline March 1, 2009 at 12:52 am

Thanks for the PB2 page! I am looking forward to experimenting:)

40 Pearl March 1, 2009 at 3:38 am

i’d LOVE to know how you make your coffee :)

41 Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday March 1, 2009 at 8:57 am

Hoooray, I am looking forward to your FAQ page!

42 Hangry Pants March 1, 2009 at 10:08 am

I feel a lot better when I wake up earlier. I have to think of some questions for ya!

43 Danielle March 1, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Hmm I’ll have to think of some good questions for you, cereal with bananas are so simple yet such a good breakfast, i love having that on weekends.

44 inmytummy March 1, 2009 at 6:36 pm

I think that the getting up earlier thing happens with age (groan!) too. I used to be able to sleep really late, like noon and in the past couple years (I’m 30), I have been getting up on the weekends at like 7:30!

My PB2 was supposed to come on Friday, but it did not. Boo.

I’m a new reader to your blog and just wanted to say hello. Also, I read back some and notice that your in broadcast journalism. My boyfriend is a producer for a local Atlanta news station and if you had any questions, I could ask him for you.

45 erinbee March 1, 2009 at 7:27 pm

sorry. i was commenting up a storm
yesterday. without the link back to
my blog. haha. im sort of a goon.

but now im all linked up. come play!

46 Ryan March 1, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I love your cereal bowl! Delicious!!!

47 Sarah March 2, 2009 at 8:54 am

i thought of questions:
1. is there a food and exercise that you know is good for you but just can’t stand?
2. if you had to pick just 3 foods to live off of for a month what would they be?
3. what’s your favorite study snack?
4. do you have a favorite food memory? A favorite meal, restaurant, city?

i’ll try to think of more!

48 Maggie March 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Hmmm… my question is – favorite nut butter?

49 carolinebee March 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Here’s my questions (not just to win) :D-
1. What is your all-time favorite city and why?
2. What are some of YOUR fave blogs to read?
3. If you could enjoy a meal with one person, i’ll say “living” so it narrows it down…who would it be and what would ya eat??

HA i realize these aren’t exactly FAQ’s..maybe number 2 could be!

50 Caroline March 10, 2009 at 11:07 pm

OK, as a total dish fanatic, my question for your FAQ page is: Where do buy all your cute plates and bowls?

51 Ellen March 11, 2009 at 12:49 am

FAQ Question: Where in MN are you from? I’m a fellow Minnesotan :)

52 Kaley March 11, 2009 at 7:06 am

Why did you START this blog in the first place?
Not that I am not grateful for it! Just curious!!

53 brandi March 11, 2009 at 7:07 am

Question: Which bears are best?

Okay, that’s not my real question, but I thought you would appreciate an Office reference.

Is focusing on Intuitive Eating causing any changes in your life compared to before you started?

54 Diana March 11, 2009 at 7:46 am

Question: How do you motivate yourself to workout when you’re feeling particularly tired, cranky, or otherwise not in the mood to workout? :)

55 Michelle March 11, 2009 at 7:51 am

hey i love your blog, especially since you’re in college and I can relate to a lot. My question is how do you explain to people about you blog and whats their reaction?

56 Annie March 11, 2009 at 8:09 am

My question for ya…do you ever get sick of blogging? taking pictures all the time and explaining to others what your doing, or hiding from others if they dont know??

Thanks for doing such an awesome job, I love your blog!

57 Laura March 11, 2009 at 8:44 am

What do YOU consider your SUPER food, and why?

58 Courtney March 11, 2009 at 10:28 am

What do you put flax on? I just bought some and I’m not sure exactly what to do with it. lol :)

59 Marie March 11, 2009 at 10:42 am

I’m new to your site and I just love it. You have lots of great ideas and recipes. Tell me, do you ever eat oatmeal for dinner instead? I sometimes get the urge to do that especially when I don’t feel like cooking..

60 Anne K. March 11, 2009 at 11:49 am

Ooh, I thought of a question! Where do you get your coffee mugs?? They’re all so cute and clever!

61 Jessica March 11, 2009 at 1:11 pm

What’s your favorite go to snack that’s low calories? I could use some ideas when I’m hungry but know I really don’t need to intake anymore calories until supper that night.

62 runjess March 11, 2009 at 1:42 pm

FAQ: Are you currently trying to lose weight or is weight maintenance your goal? (I hope that’s not a rude question. It’s just something I wonder about most food bloggers.)

63 Maddy March 11, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Okay here’s my question: “If you could have any 1 food for the rest of your life, what would it be?

64 Laura E March 11, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Here’s my question!

I know you love Clif bars, what is your all time favorite flavor?

65 cottchz March 11, 2009 at 2:53 pm

You are a very mature 21! How did you get the internship at the magazine and are you allowed to disclose which one?

I think you drink caribou from some of your mugs…which is your favorite??

I really really really want a vita mix, any tips on helping a girl finegal one :p

66 Angela March 11, 2009 at 4:00 pm

What is your most embarassing moment? ;)

67 Fitzalan March 11, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Question: How has blogging changed how you look at food?

sweets&sweats.wordpress.com

68 Emily March 11, 2009 at 5:02 pm

How has having a blog affected your life? When do you usually blog?

69 Monica March 11, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Here’s a question for you…what is the best meal you have ever eaten? (I realize it may be hard to narrow it down to just one!)

70 Kristie Lynn March 11, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Random question, and not even food-related! How many hours of sleep do you average a night? It seems like you’re pretty busy with classes and work so just wondering if your sleep suffers like mine has been in my senior year of college :)

71 ashley March 12, 2009 at 7:28 am

what is your favorite oatmeal combination EVER?!

72 Kristin March 12, 2009 at 9:50 am

How filling is your cocoa coffee? Do you think it would serve as a snack option? It looks yummy!

73 Lacey March 12, 2009 at 8:18 pm

I was curious, how do you combat snacking at night? I find that I can eat well through out the day but feel really snacky after work/before dinner and feel that I sometimes blow the hard work I’ve done all day.

74 Hangry Pants March 12, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Alright I do have a question for you. As someone who is admitedly a perfectionist, how have you come to accept and love yourself. Specifically, I admire how at such a young age you seem to truly love yourself and never speak negatively about your body. I don’t recall ever reading a post where you’ve talked about these kinds of things and am wondering if it’s just not something you want to talk about here or if you really don’t ever think about these things (which would be awesome and I totally possible as you’re a fox). :D

If you need a more FAQ friendly format for that long winded question, feel free to revise. I think you get the basic question.

75 Melissa March 13, 2009 at 4:26 am

Do you like Nutella and do you have any good recipes using it? I’m obsessed and need new ways to eat it!