Homemade Raw Almond Butter! [VIDEO]

by Jenn (eating bender) on April 4, 2009

Happy weekend, everyone!

As evidenced by my absence, it’s been a busy couple of days. Between working on assignments for class – including photography, which I don’t really call an “assignment” since it’s so enjoyable – and hanging out with Bobby/making arrangements for post-graduation (!!), my to-do list was and is very long!

I did take a little break for some food fun: my first attempt at Homemade Raw Almond Butter!

Glamorous jar, no? I need to save my next jar of nut butter and reuse it :)

So I actually made a video for the process, and I will be honest, I’m sort of embarassed by it. First of all, it was all off the top of my head, and I ended up sounding very awkward and basically reading the directions to you. Secondly, there are a ton of “that’s what she said” moments if you have that kind of mind. But then these goofballs made me realize that I should not be so judgmental of myself. So I’m posting it for your viewing pleasure, and you can feel free to laugh at me all ya want! Also, I’d highly suggest skipping through minutes 2:13-3:00 because it’s all very boring :)

It won’t show up in Google Reader, but the video is below:

So, as you can see, the Vita-Mix overheated and automatically shut off (thank goodness for that built-in feature). Little did I know that that meant I couldn’t turn it back on for a long time! I decided to improvise and add in some form of liquid and stir the dry almond into the “buttery” stuff. I went with 1/4 cup maple syrup a la Courtney:

This worked really well, and when I was done, I was left with roughly 2 cups of almond butter!

My almond butter is definitely on the dry side, but it has a great nutty flavor and I’ve been eating it with just about every combination you could come up with (within reason, of course!). I love the fact that it’s possible to make your own – and it’s easy! Next time, I may try to add some oil to make the whole process run a little smoother. But overall, I’m very happy!

Nutrition Information (makes 32 servings, 2 tbsp. each):

• 180 calories
  • 14g fat
  • 9g carbohydrates
  • 3g fiber
  • 4g sugar
  • 6g protein

I hope you all enjoyed the incredibly awkward crazy cool video! I’m off to hang out with my friend for a High School Musical + Twilight movie marathon! Yes, we are very excited. I’ll catch up with you again soon!

1 marafaye April 4, 2009 at 4:21 pm

OMG love the video, you’re so cute! Your Vita-Mix worked significantly better than my stick blender! Enjoy your tween video night… I have yet to buy twilight… i know, i’m a totally bad fan girl.

2 Meghan Telpner April 4, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Yay! That looks awesome. A way to make it a little creamier is to soak the almonds first, and to avoid the overheating, try doing a cup and a half at a time. I just posted on how almond butter is the best here: http://meghantelpnerblog.com/2009/04/03/nut-butter-battle/

3 Sarah April 4, 2009 at 4:31 pm

hahah I loved this video—you’re so cute! want to audition for a food network show together? How fun would that be! I’m about to have a little Twilight marathon with my friend too!! Would it be pathetic to watch it twice in one night? I hope not!

4 Sarah April 4, 2009 at 4:37 pm

I don’t have a Vitamix, but can I borrow that tamper?

5 Bec April 4, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I love that tall measuring glass!

6 Jessica (jesslikesithot) April 4, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Haha aww Jenn the video turned out really cute! Good thinking with the maple syrup!! Have fun with your movie marathon!! :)

7 Melinda April 4, 2009 at 4:57 pm

awww i love the video– you’re adorable!! i was actually thinking about getting a vitamix, but they’re so expensive! do you think it’s worth it? i’m just afraid it’ll be another cooking appliance that i shove in the cabinet and never use haha.

8 wholefoodswholeme April 4, 2009 at 5:13 pm

you are SO SWEET!!! love your voice 😀 and that almond butter looks fffffabulous. really want to try it! twilight comes out this monday in the UK, i’ve already ordered it on amazon 😉

9 Sharon April 4, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Awh, totally love the video!!! I totally want to try this!

10 shelby April 4, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Cute video!!! I love making my own almond butter, now I just need some almonds haha 😉

11 glidingcalm April 4, 2009 at 5:25 pm

you are so cute!! i have always wanted to try making it….and im SOOO GLAD that you did it first….as even if other bloggers try things/experiment…..usually it is Miss Eating Bender that convinces me to finally take the plunge!! Oh…. post some pictures of how you’ve been eating it, will ya? I’d like to see your uses!!

12 sweetandnatural April 4, 2009 at 5:30 pm

I can’t wait to make almond butter myself! Hope I don’t break my little food processor in the process!

13 Hangry Pants April 4, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Please you have NOTHING to be embarrassed about! Glad I could help you out with that.

When I made raw almond butter it was also very clumpy and dry. If you roast the almonds it’s a lot smoother. Yum.

Also, how do you calculate nutritional information? Is there a website you use?

14 Meg April 4, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Great video! Love the improvisation. It looks delicious.

15 FoodsThatFit April 4, 2009 at 5:55 pm

AHH!!! Now I really, really, really want a Vitamix!!!! Fabulous almond butter lady!!!

16 VeggieGirl April 4, 2009 at 6:11 pm

HOLY YUM AB!!! And I love your video moment – you’re a natural, girl!!!

17 Krista April 4, 2009 at 6:16 pm

I love homemade almond butter! I just cranked out some homemade PB tonight and it turned out great, too!!

18 Kailey (SnackFace) April 4, 2009 at 6:16 pm

You cutie!! Hahaha I laughed throughout this video– mostly because I have the mind of a 15 year old boy and found everything to be extremely sexual. That tampering motion was killing me. Immaturity aside, I loved the video! You should totally do this more often. You’re gooood.

19 Nicole April 4, 2009 at 6:27 pm

The almond butter looks amazing! I’ve got to try my hand at making my own.

20 Rose April 4, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Love it. How adventurous are you? Way to go. I’m also glad to know that little fact about the VitaMix….

21 Emily April 4, 2009 at 6:46 pm

That is so incredibly cool!

22 Erin April 4, 2009 at 6:54 pm

That video was so cute! Who knew a couple of almonds could wear out the blender!

23 brandi April 4, 2009 at 7:22 pm

enjoy your movie night, and thanks for the video! i can’t watch it at home (my internet is too slow), but i’ll definitely be watching soon :)

24 eatingbirdfood April 4, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Jenn, I thought the video was great! I have been wanting to try making homemade almond butter so I’m actually really glad that you posted it.

I hope you are having a great weekend!

25 Heather Eats Almond Butter April 4, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I love seeing you in action! :) I kept laughing as there were several “That’s what she said” moments…hilarious!

I truly wish I could gift every food blogger with a Vita-Mix. They are such amazing machines, and we use ours at least twice a day. So, way to spread the love.

Best of luck with your to-do list. Hope you get everything done, and that you enjoyed your time with Edward and Bella. :)

26 runsarah April 4, 2009 at 9:35 pm

That is awesome – now I definitely need to try making my own AB!

27 Marianne April 4, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Good job on the almond butter. But this just affirms that I currently do not have the equipment to make my own butter. I’d probably break my magic bullet if I even tried a little bit.

28 letsthink782 April 4, 2009 at 10:00 pm

THATS WHAT SHE SAID! Haha I love your sense of humor. And the video was great! You should be on TV.

29 Katie April 4, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Whoops that comment ^^ up yonder was from me. My bad!

30 broccolihut April 4, 2009 at 11:39 pm

No need to be ashamed of your video! I *loved* it. It’s so fun to hear fellow bloggers’ voices–it adds a nice personalized touch to the whole community. Thanks so much for sharing! I really wish I had a food processor so I could try the recipe…maybe that will be my reward to myself after finals…

31 Lara (Thinspired) April 5, 2009 at 4:43 am

Hehe–I think you’re too hard on yourself with the video! I was looking out the whole time for the “that’s what she said” ops 😉

I love the idea of almond + maple. I have a couple packs of Justin’s almond butter with maple to try. If only I had a Vitamix and I could make it myself!

32 Denise April 5, 2009 at 4:55 am

LOVE the video!! I’m going to try to make my own…need to look into a good blender.

33 Leah April 5, 2009 at 4:59 am

Great video! I defintely have to get myself a food processer. I don’t think my blender would do a very good job!

34 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) April 5, 2009 at 6:42 am

Your AB looks fabulous my dear! And thanks for the shout out =) Love the video too!

35 ksgoodeats April 5, 2009 at 7:57 am

Fantastic video!! Yay! Jenn, you’re adorable!

36 erinbee April 5, 2009 at 8:04 am

37 Tina April 5, 2009 at 9:59 am

That almond butter looks and sounds amazing! Nice job!! Good luck with your long to-do lists and assignments! :)

38 Emmy April 5, 2009 at 10:42 am

Holy moley that vitamix works like a beast.

And the video works in my google reader!

39 Pearl April 5, 2009 at 12:44 pm

i love that video! you’re so cute!

and that tamper itself looks worthy enough to buy an entire vitamix.. 😉

40 ttfn300 April 5, 2009 at 1:07 pm

jealous of your mad blending skillz jenn :) glad the almonds buttered! maple syrup was a nice rescue!!

41 hjartas April 5, 2009 at 4:06 pm

awesome idea to make your own almond butter. :) makes me wish i had a blender!

42 Joe October 12, 2009 at 2:32 pm

I just bought a Vitamix and i want to make some almond butter and your video helped me out a lot!.

I was wondering though, it looked as if you never hit the switch to the high position from watching the video, but I could be wrong.

Thank you for posting this informative video!

43 Jenn (eating bender) October 14, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Joe ~ You’re right – I didn’t! That’s why the Vita-Mix overheated :) I would highly recommend turning it to high because you will have much better results! I just forgot…oops.