Snow in April Day? Please?

by Jenn (eating bender) on April 5, 2009

EDITED TO ADD: Don’t forget to check out Meghann’s Blogging Bake Sale!!

I can’t believe it. Snow in April?! What are you thinking, Mother Nature?!

I’m glad you all enjoyed the almond butter video. I will definitely take some of your suggestions for the next time to get a creamier consistency.

Today has not been as productive as I originally intended, and I am blaming it on the weather. I slept in a little bit this morning and when I woke up to clouds, I decided it was a day to catch up on Gossip Girl, do laundry, grocery shop, chat and workout. Oh, and blog, of course 😉

For breakfast, I made a scrambled egg wrap. I’m finding that in the mornings I am becoming either an egg person or an oatmeal person (I know Caroline, it’s crazy!) lately.

dscn3228

I used 2 egg whites + 1 whole egg as usual, plus a big handful of spinach. Once everything was scrambled, I sprinkled on a handful of reduced fat Mexican cheese and threw everything into a FlatOut wrap. Simple and delicious.

dscn3222

On the side, I had a mug of Coffee Cocoa sans whip.

dscn32211

A little while later, I realized I was still a little grumbly, so I made myself a small bowl of Greek yogurt (maybe 1/2 cup) with 1 tbsp. PB2 mixed in. But the best part was that I threw some Homemade Maple Almond Butter shavings on top. The thing about this nut butter is that it’s very dry. If I heat it up, it becomes spreadable, but if I just grab some from the jar, it’s crumbly. So I decided just to go with it and sprinkled roughly 1 tbsp. on top of the yogurt. It was amazing!

dscn3231

Lunch today was part of the first day of Leng’s Salad Challenge. It sounded easy enough to make salads every day for two weeks, and since it’s something I should probably be doing anyway, I’m in!

dscn3235

Following the rules of the challenge, I incorporated:

1. At least 1 cup of raw green leafy vegetables (I used spinach)
  2. At least 1 serving of 1 other vegetable of a different color (I used white mushrooms)
  3. A source of protein (I used rotisserie chicken breast leftovers)
  4. Dressing is optional (see below)
  5. One serving of something else you’re feeling at the moment (I chose barbecue sauce!)

dscn3237

I loved using barbecue sauce instead of dressing. This salad was very filling!

Dinner tonight was on the “uninspired” side. Again, blame it on the fact that there is now lake effect snow “pouring” outside my window! If there was ever a person whose mood was determined by the weather, that person is me :) 😳 :( I went with what I know works and tastes good: 1 cup Nature’s Path Puffs, 1 cup Kashi Go Lean, and 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk. But for a little extra oomph, I added 1/3 cup of Peanut Butter Puffins and a handful of CAROB CHIPS. Yes, that’s right! I jumped on the carob bandwagon (VeggieGirl, Erin, you know you love me – and can you tell I spent the whole day watching Gossip Girl?!). I loved these on cereal! Holy yum!

dscn3243

I also had an apple topped with PB2, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. It was a nutty day, what can I say? This combination really cures a sweet tooth!

dscn3187

And finally, for dessert a little later:

dscn32391

Garbage Water. But don’t worry, I paid $2.50 and it tastes like carbonated fruit juice to me 😉

Around-the-Foodosphere

That’s all I’ve got for now! Another weekend has come and gone – enjoy your Monday!

Crossing my fingers for a “Snow in April” day,

bendersignature

1 noodlegirl April 5, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Ahhh I know how you feel I am currently in Ashland OR moved from Hawaii ugh so you can imagine how winter is for me!!!!! Wow your kombucha is so cheap! The cheapest I can get is only when it is on sale $2.99 normally I pay $3+ in Oregon in Hawaii forget it its like close to $5!

2 marafaye April 5, 2009 at 8:48 pm

WTF IS THIS SNOW?! I’m not happy. At all. At least you won’t have to drive anywhere tomorrow!!

3 Sharon April 5, 2009 at 8:57 pm

WHAT? Snow? Awh, so sorry!!!

4 verbalriot April 5, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I’m totally a weather person too…I have SAD for sure! It’s horrible :(

I love your egg wrap! Delish! Hope you see the sun soon!

5 glidingcalm April 5, 2009 at 9:14 pm

ugh snow! sorry lady! let’s hope Spring makes the warmth come faster for you!

beautiful food!! I esp love the greek yogurt combo! i love crumbly nut butters sometimes!

6 Hangry Pants April 5, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Thank you for those links! I just laughed forever at the blog recaps. 😀

7 Pearl April 5, 2009 at 9:52 pm

oooh love your eats! that salad looks so yum!

8 broccolihut April 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm

That wrap looks so professional!

9 runsarah April 5, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Your wrap looks fabulous – spinach and eggs are a great combo.

10 Maggie April 5, 2009 at 11:25 pm

I remember one time it snowed on April Fool’s Day – so not funny! This was back when I lived in NJ.

I haven’t had carob in years, but my favorite way to have it is carob covered rice cakes. Heavenly! Maybe I could make my own…

11 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) April 5, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Love your breakfast!

12 snackface April 5, 2009 at 11:33 pm

If it snows, I will cry. Or just be really angry. Silly spring! Mmmm I love your fabulous cereal bowl and apple dinner. Honestly, that’s all I want sometimes. You watched Gossip Girl all day? I’m so jealous! I’m waiting for season 2 to come out on Dvd because I keep missing it when it plays in real time. I don’t want to know anything that’s happening! Anyway, good luck with the start of another week! And I hope there isn’t snow… :)

13 Sarah April 5, 2009 at 11:38 pm

Thanks for alerting me to the salad challenge. Now I have an excuse for my Hugh Jass rut.

14 Melissa April 6, 2009 at 12:39 am

You can’t get much better than an apple and peanut butter!!

15 Lara (Thinspired) April 6, 2009 at 1:40 am

Man–I have a breakfast cookie in the fridge for breakfast but after seeing your wrap, I really want eggs now!
I love BBQ sauce on my salads too. For some reason I used to do it only when we went out to eat, but then I realized I can do it at home, too!

16 Erica April 6, 2009 at 3:56 am

Hey Jenn! I can’t believe its snowing there!! I hope you def get a snow day though (to make the snow at least worthwhile!). Love the salad challenge- yours looks yummy! Bbq sauce is good on pretty much everything. I am loving eggs for breakfast lately! I enjoy waking up to protein. Have a good Monday

17 MizFit April 6, 2009 at 4:40 am

you need to come here.

move here.
great farmers markets and even better weather!

xo xo,

Miz.

18 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) April 6, 2009 at 4:48 am

SNOW!!?? That’s crazy. Delicious eats…and Kombucha!!! Enough said =)

19 coco April 6, 2009 at 5:00 am

salad already? I thought the salad challenge begins next weekend! :)

20 VeggieGirl April 6, 2009 at 5:50 am

EEK, hang in there with the weather!!

PB PUFFINS!!!!!!!! CAROB CHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

21 Tina April 6, 2009 at 6:28 am

Ohh, cereal for dinner – love it! I’m like that a lot too, I often find it very hard to come up with what to make for lunch or dinner, I’ve always got breakfast ideas in my head. A lot of the time I’m too hungry or tired to even come up with something for dinner so I go with some breakfast-meal… who says you can’t have breakfast for dinner anyway? And what reaaaallly defines the different meals? I mean, just because someone says oatmeal is a breakfast food doesn’t mean everyone has to follow suit, right? Haha…

22 Shelby April 6, 2009 at 6:29 am

I know isn’t it so upsetting that it’s snowing. I was like standing in the window watching it POUR down like a freakin blizzard yelling STOP!!! I love how it comes right before I start school again…how lovely, NOT!

Love the almond butter shavings! I want to make some just so I can do that haha

Salad challenge!? I’M IN! I have salads at least 3x a week =)

Amazing desserts! That cereal looks amazing (I’m totally trying it) and the apples w/ PB2-YUM!

23 eatingbirdfood April 6, 2009 at 6:35 am

Snow in APRIL?? You should just move to VA!

Often times all I want for dinner is breakfast so I just go for it. Your cereal looks delicious. I’m now craving some carob chips.

And lastly, I think Nate’s food blogging recaps are hilarious….

24 inmytummy April 6, 2009 at 6:42 am

I cannot believe the snow thing either. I live in Georgia and we’re supposed to get flurries tonight/tomorrow!

Have you tried the Mango Kombucha? I think that is the most juice-like one that I’ve tried. My favorite is the Passionberry though.

25 Krista April 6, 2009 at 6:51 am

Great looking b-fast wrap!!

I need to try PB2 in yogurt after seeing how creamy yours looks! YUM! :)

26 Erin April 6, 2009 at 6:52 am

Pretty salad! I’m sorry you have snow! I would be lazy with that too!

27 ksgoodeats April 6, 2009 at 6:56 am

I feel ya on the snow day, this is redic! Love the egg wrap!! SHROOMIES!! My favorite :)

Glad you’re on the carob train! Once you go carob, you’ll never go back 😉 Have a great Monday, Miss Jenn!!

28 brandi April 6, 2009 at 6:58 am

crazy weather! we *may have some snow tonight, but I’m hoping not! I’m ready for spring :)

i have yet to try carob chips, but maybe I need to.

29 Nicole April 6, 2009 at 7:34 am

SNOW?!?! Jeez!

30 zestycook April 6, 2009 at 8:06 am

Welcome to my world Jenn :) Friggin’ snow anytime it feels. But look on the bright side… your food looks amazing and I so want a bite of your scrambled egg wrap!

31 Meghan Telpner April 6, 2009 at 8:15 am

Snowing here too in Toronto. I am not leaving my apartment until Spring decides to come back. This is just silly!

32 Clare @ Clare's Two Steps Forward April 6, 2009 at 9:43 am

Apples are one of my favorite “desserts!” I heat them up in the microwave for two minutes, with a little cinnamon and brown sugar. They’re great alone, but adding some vanilla frozen yogurt is great too! Have a great week,
-Clare

33 burpexcuzme April 6, 2009 at 10:01 am

that’s chicago for you! I don’t know what possessed me to ever want to live there once. oh yeah, northwestern. but I’m almost glad I’m back home and away from that crazy weather.
LOVE your scrambled egg wrap! yum! eggs are my fav source of protein!

34 Sara April 6, 2009 at 10:27 am

That breakfast wrap looks great! :) Boo, for snow.

35 Betsy April 6, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Gahhh I am NOT envious of the snow!

I tried Kombucha for the first time yesterday… after agitating it (no shaking!), it exploded all over me. :( And then it tasted like I was drinking rice wine vinegar… shockingly, though, it did grow on me.

I tried to join the book club – we’ll see if I did it right!

36 runjess April 6, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Ugg…snow. I would be uninspired too.
Haven’t had a Flat Out wrap in a while. Maybe I’ll pick some up.

37 eatlivelovedream April 6, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I tried that synergy drink and it was some strong stuff! The salad challenge sounds pretty awesome! Keep it up:)
Sorry for the bum weather, Summers right around the corner! At least there’s carob chips in the world to make it all better!

38 rhodeygirl April 6, 2009 at 2:13 pm

snow = yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!

but your food = yummmyyyyy

is gossip girl new tonight?

39 wholefoodswholeme April 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm

you always make such great-looking wraps! can’t believe you have snow!!! crazy stuff. also, i just love looking at your colourful stripy plate 😉

40 Danielle April 6, 2009 at 6:33 pm

That scrambled wrap looks so good, mine never look like that!

41 Marianne April 6, 2009 at 7:04 pm

You salad looks good, but I don’t think you should feel like you “should” make a salad every day. Personally, it would be a bit boring to make the same thing every day. Good luck on your challenge though :)

42 runnerskitchen April 6, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I just discovered your blog and I like it a lot! And your salad looks tasty – I’m a big fan of mushrooms :-)

43 Jenn (eating bender) April 6, 2009 at 9:52 pm

runnerskitchen ~ Aw, thanks so much for stopping by! :)

44 ttfn300 April 7, 2009 at 7:32 pm

ooh, i just tried carob chips recently too! loved them :) except i could not follow the little goes a long way… ~sigh~ it’s been so tough lately, but i really need to dig myself out of this hole :-/

45 Heather Eats Almond Butter April 8, 2009 at 7:38 am

Jenn,
Hoping it’s warmer in Chicago today as Spring seems to be back in Nashville. Loved this nutty day. I bet your almond butter crumbles made the perfect topping, and sometimes there is no better dinner than a big bowl of cereal!

$2.50 for Kombucha? I don’t believe it. :)