Workin’ For the Weekend

by Jenn (eating bender) on April 9, 2009

Hi there!

I had to take a few days off for some school projects this week – it’s just been “one of those” you want to just get through and make it to the weekend. Fortunately, the weekend is technically here for me now because I don’t have class on Fridays :) Coming up:

• Foodie adventures with Mara
  • A “how-to” post on my egg wraps
  • An amazing Easter Sunday brunch

It’s going to be a fun weekend!

I’m also pleased to announce that I was the winner of Heather’s White Chocolate Chip Lime Cookies in Meghann’s Blogging Bake Sale II earlier this week. I am so excited to try them, especially with the addition of macadamia nuts! As you may recall, I won something from Heather during the last bake sale, so I think she should just go ahead and become my personal baker :) What do you say, Heather?

In the interest of time and of, well, interest, I’m going to show some highlights of the week so far.

I have been doin’ the pumpkin thing for breakfast this week. Once I open a can of something, I usually feel rushed to use it up (as many of you might know, I’m not a big leftover person), so I’ve been having pumpkin oats almost every day!

This particular bowl followed the same basic ingredients:

• 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 tbsp. ground flax
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tbsp. Barney Butter

But there was also a special addition:

TJ’s Pumpkin Butter, courtesy of Miss Brittany. It made a great addition to the top of the oats!

Looking at this bowl reminds me that I need to buy some more pumpkin πŸ˜‰ Thanks, Brittany!

I was also able to try out a new product this week. A few weeks ago, I received coupons from the Better Whey of Life company to test out their whey protein yogurt.

My first go at it was the acaΓ­ mixed berry flavor. The whey yogurt contains 15-17g of protein per 6 oz. cup. That’s pretty comparable to Greek yogurt!

As far as taste goes, this yogurt was very creamy and sweet, much like you would expect with any other non-Greek brand. At the same time, it has 30% less sugar, 3g of prebiotic fiber (as well as probiotics, which are good for the tum), and is made with an ingredient list that is short and recognizable. That last one is most important to me because I’m a pretty tough critic if the ingredient list scares me! Overall, I’d say this yogurt is great for people who aren’t fans of the tangy taste of Greek yogurt, but want more protein from the regular yogurt they eat. Thanks to Kasey for the coupons!

In addition to eating a lot of pumpkin oatmeal, I’ve also had an egg wrap almost every day! They are so filling and flavorful that I can’t resist, especially when times get busy. I’m going to post a picture tutorial soon for those who were asking me about it in an earlier post.

Speaking of delicious food, check out the homemade roll my roomie K saved for me this morning!

It was such a nice surprise to come back from class and have this waiting for me. I knew she was up to something when I saw the flour out this morning. I know from K that her mom is an amazing bread maker (swoon), and I don’t think the apple falls too far from the tree! This roll was doughy and dense, just the way I like my bread! Perhaps I will try to snag the recipe πŸ˜‰

I also want to share another photojournalism picture with you. For those who asked, my point-and-shoot is the Nikon Coolpix 5x Zoom, which I got as a Christmas gift after my old camera kicked the bucket last fall. I really love the plum color! Anyway, the cameras we use for photojournalism are the Nikon D100, and I think I slowly am getting the hang of it. Check it out:

SUSHI! I got the fan in the background during my trip to China. We had to show focus changes:

The first is obviously front focused and the second is back focused. What do you think?!

Sick of me yet? Last but not least, I’d like to give a warm thank you to VeggieGirl, who was kind enough to send me a lovely package from Allison’s Gourmet:

Thanks girl, these are incredible. I’ve been reluctantly graciously sharing the love with my friends, and we all agree that they rock. I mean, look at this:

Holy Yum x Infinity!! That’s my accounting math for today πŸ˜‰

It’s Thursday night. Clearly, that means I’m going to go procrastinate by reading some blogs!

Happy almost weekend,

1 Sharon April 9, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Totally love your scrumptious eats! And mmmm that wrap is awesome!
Thanks for sharing about the new yogurt, it sounds interesting!

2 jenngirl April 9, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Yay Happy Weekend!! We don’t have class tomorrow, it’s so nice to start it off early! I learned to make my egg wraps like you, and I ADORE them!

Oh, and you NEED this website in your life, I’ve been reading it like every night and I laugh out loud all the time:

3 VeggieGirl April 9, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Hooray for winning Heather’s cookies; TJ’s pumpkin butter; the truffles (so glad that they arrived on time)!! πŸ˜€

4 Anna April 9, 2009 at 8:12 pm

I feel like VG is some sort of gift from the blog gods. Those pictures all look incredible and make me very envious of your fancy camera!

5 Sarah April 9, 2009 at 8:19 pm

i’m going to have to check that yogurt out—I definitely turn to my greek yogurt as a source of protein so this would be a good alternative.

Great photos! I’ve always wanted to play around with a hard-core camera, the pictures are so pretty, please keep sharing with us what you’re taking for class (even if it’s not food related!!)

Have a great weekend!

6 janeexplained April 9, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Can’t wait for that egg wrap recipe!

7 Maggie April 9, 2009 at 8:22 pm

I’m so jealous of that whey yogurt! I found coupons on their website but there aren’t any store that carry it near me :(

8 Daphne April 13, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Maggie – Join our community and when the Better Whey of Life Yogurt is available in your area, we will let you know!

9 runsarah April 9, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Great photos – I need to get better at using my SLR. I have egg wraps too – great for lunch!

10 Alison April 9, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Great photos! I love the oatmeal. I need to get some pumpkin butter. I used to buy it all the time from Great Harvest Bakery. Fabulous stuff.

I can’t wait for the egg wrap tutorial!

11 Clare @ Clare's Two Steps Forward April 9, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I wish there was a trader joe’s in new orleans or athens,ga! no where else can I find pumpkin butter. your oatmeal sounds delicious! Happy Thursday =)

12 marafaye April 9, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I can’t WAIT for tomorrow!!! I’m so excited!!!

13 Jessica (jesslikesithot) April 9, 2009 at 9:52 pm

I’m all for procrastinating with some blog reading!!! Doing it right now! :)

Jenn, those pumpkins oats look AND sound delicious!!! I definitely need to purchase TJ’s pumpkin butter while I’m home over summer!

And thanks for the yogurt review, I’m definitely intrigued to try it now!

14 Bec April 9, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Can’t wait to see the egg wrap how to!

15 Marianne April 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Man, I wish I had access to natural light. I feel like I’m not doing my camera justice when I have to use the flash. Very nice photos, especially since they feature sushi!

16 Hangry Pants April 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I am excited to bake for you again! It’s my first order of business after Easter.

I am excited to try my own Better Whey yogurt, which arrived on my steps today!

Love the homemade roll, obviously!

17 broccolihut April 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm

I totally feel your pain–I have some major paper-writing to do in the next 3 weeks!

I can’t wait for your upcoming posts!

18 sue April 9, 2009 at 11:32 pm

welcome back! everything looks delicious and your photos are gorgeous!

19 Sarah April 9, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Sick of you? NEVER!

I love how you say you have to use up that pumpkin…only to say you need to buy a new can! Makes perfect sense to me.

Homemade baked goods are the best surprise EVER.

That first sushi picture is magazine worthy, seriously.

Okay, I’m done. Have a good weekend!!!

20 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) April 10, 2009 at 12:09 am

Thanks for the review of the yogurt!

21 wholefoodswholeme April 10, 2009 at 12:48 am

LOVE those pics with the sushi – that camera does seem to be getting better the more you use it!! i love the variety of focus.

am SO glad you are going to do a little tutorial on your wraps, they look so perfect and yum!

pumpkin butter sounnds SO good i need to try making it. and that bread!! i want!!

22 Tina April 10, 2009 at 1:30 am

I haven’t had sushi in ages, I keep saying I have to get around to making it! :) Easter candy is the best but oh so tempting too. Part of me just wants Easter to be over already so the temptation goes away!

23 coco April 10, 2009 at 2:18 am

Pumpkin oats everyday? yes please!!! @_@
your pics are gorgeous, especially that focus change! :)

24 Melissa April 10, 2009 at 3:59 am

I always feel better when I see other people eating the same thing every day. I do that so very often!

Extremely DELISH food day!!

Have fun with Mara!!!

25 eatingbirdfood April 10, 2009 at 4:30 am

PUMPKIN OATS with PUMPKIN butter. YUM! I am glad you are enjoying your little jar.

I can’t wait for your how-to with the egg wraps. They always looks so delish!

Your photo taking skills are looking good.. especially when it’s brown rice sushi behind the lens :)

Hooray for the weekend. I hope yours is great and have a blast with Mara.

26 Marisa (trim the fat) April 10, 2009 at 4:51 am

what yummy eats! ESPECIALLY, those vegan truffle eggs!!!

Hope you have a nice, relaxing weekend :)

27 Erica April 10, 2009 at 5:25 am

mmmm the pumpking butter is such a great addition to oatmeal! I think I could eat a jar of that stuff by itself πŸ˜‰ That yogurt sounds really interesting….as I’m always looking for new protein sources, I really would love to try it! What a sweet treat from veggie girl! Just perfect for easter :) :)

28 zestycook April 10, 2009 at 5:27 am

Oh Jenn – I cannot wait for the egg wrap post!!! Thanks so much for the shout out as well. Happy easter and have a great weekend…..

ps. love your accounting math :)

29 Susan April 10, 2009 at 5:37 am

Hi Jenn! I just started reading your blog and I wanted to let you know I think it’s great! I’m also doing J-school (or, just finished, I suppose) so I feel like we have lots in common!!

PS, I’m jealous of your photojournalism camera!

30 ksgoodeats April 10, 2009 at 5:59 am

Are you orange yet?! πŸ˜‰ Why is it that orange foods taste so good?! Egg wraps – one of the best things ever! Can’t wait for your post!

I think that K (nice initial by the way!) should do a guest post/give out the recipe to those amazing rolls! Delish!!

Have a fantastic Friday!!

31 cocoeatsandcritiques April 10, 2009 at 6:22 am

mmm mmmm! I am also so addicted to egg wraps. I’m addicted to eggs in general!! Is that bad?
I always eat them right after a workout to refuel and get some protein in me. Therefore I eat it before I realize I never take a picture of it haha.
I often hear that the whole egg is very nutritious for you. Do you prefer the whole egg or just the egg whites? I do half and half.

32 Jenn (eating bender) April 11, 2009 at 8:06 pm

cocoeatsandcritiques ~ I do half and half, too! I think it’s the best in terms of taste and satiety – love it :)

33 Rose April 10, 2009 at 7:20 am

I am having one of those weeks too! I think you and I need to have a vent session via g-chat some time :) I miss talking to you!

Can’t wait for the foodie adventure with Mara – I’m sure that will be an exciting recap! You girls are so much fun.

Love your photojournalism photos. I can definitely see the difference, and you really are getting the hang of it! You need to get yourself one of those. I know I definitely clicked on the link to price it :)

34 Shelby April 10, 2009 at 7:24 am

Mmm, TJ’s Pumpkin Butter on Pumpkin Oats?! I’ve got to try that combination!

Horray for truffles! =)

35 sweetandnatural April 10, 2009 at 7:43 am

I always feel the need to eat pumpkin everyday as soon as I open a can! I love your photojournalism camera!

36 Nicole April 10, 2009 at 7:47 am

Mmmmm, pumpkin oats! I still haven’t tried them!

37 Krista April 10, 2009 at 7:56 am

Love all the pumpkin in this post! I’ll have to open a can soon!!! πŸ˜‰

38 Shannon (The Daily Balance) April 10, 2009 at 8:09 am

LOVE pumpkin oats! and your photos rock πŸ˜‰

39 lauren (athlEAT) April 10, 2009 at 8:49 am

pumpkin butter – yum! oh and I love seeing the different photographs from your class. so interesting…

40 Andrea (Off Her Cork) April 10, 2009 at 9:22 am

Jenn, the sushi pic is fabbo! Seriously, perfect color and environment. :)

41 bobbi April 10, 2009 at 9:35 am

ooo I busted out the pumpkin butter this week and I forgot how much I LOVED it:) Happy Friday lovely!

42 Melissa Good Taste April 10, 2009 at 10:01 am

I really love the combination of pumpkin butter, cashew butter heated up in a wrap! That is a great combo. I have linked your blog to mine – hope you don’t mind! Thanks for the fun reads!

43 Sara April 10, 2009 at 10:06 am

All your eats look great! Especially that egg wrap. Yum!

44 HeatherBakes April 10, 2009 at 10:17 am

Have I mentioned how much I love your little bird bowl? Cause I do. A lot.

That sushi looks gooooood!! Nice photography skills :)

45 Pearl April 10, 2009 at 11:35 am

i love the photos that the new camera takes!

46 Emily April 10, 2009 at 3:57 pm

A Homemade roll, sushi, truffles?! Awesome eats!

Have a fabulous weekend and Happy Easter! πŸ˜€

47 luckytastebuds April 10, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Hi Jenn!!

Thank you for your referral to Jillian radio show cause i’m officially hooked! I also just gave you a shout out on today’s post, so THANK YOOUUU!!!

I totally also had pumpkin oats for the entire week, except I did pumpkin oat bran. MMMM so satisfying and tasty!!

I hope you have an awesome time with Mara tonight!! Update me soon. :)

48 ttfn300 April 10, 2009 at 7:19 pm

hey girl, i have been crazy busy, but thank you so much for your sweet email, i’ll hit you back soon πŸ˜‰ i haven’t found that better whey at any of the whole foods near me yet… and holy yum for those eggs!!

49 Haleigh April 10, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Thanks for the yogurt review!

50 Meg April 10, 2009 at 8:07 pm

I haven’t had pumpkin oats in a long time. Now I am craving them. Have a great weekend!

51 cleanveggiex3 April 11, 2009 at 5:29 am

happy weekend :)

love trader joe’s pumpkin butter!!
oh and that bread looks fabulous!

52 Karla April 11, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Wow, your teachers are hardcore. It seems like you just started your quarter–and you already have a bunch of projects? Darn! I hope they were at least enjoyable and interesting.

I’d LOVE to hear more about your photojournalism class. So interesting :) But to me, it looks like you took great photos even before the class!

Have a wonderful Easter and make sure to relax after your busy week!

53 Heather Eats Almond Butter April 12, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Jenn, I was wondering what the wonderful looking syrup was on top of your oats when I first looked at the picture. Pumpkin butter on pumpkin oats?!? What a wonderful bowl of orangeness. :)

You have such wonderful people in your life (K AND sweet VeggieGirl). I swear not one day goes by where I don’t read a blog post about something VeggieGirl sent to someone. That girl is too thoughtful!

Glad you’re enjoying your new camera…beautiful shot of that sushi! Can’t wait to see more photojournalism shots. :)

P.S. – I never get sick of ya!

54 Kath April 13, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Goodness that oatmeal looks to-die-for!

55 Daphne April 13, 2009 at 9:00 pm

If I wasn’t so addicted to my yogurt for breakfast in the morning, I’d be doing your Pumpkin Oats. Thanks for the review of Better Whey of Lifeβ„’ Yogurt! I’m so glad you liked it — thanks for telling your followers all about it!

Daphne, CEO Better Whey of LIfe