I’m Bringin’ BloggingBack

by Jenn (eating bender) on April 28, 2009

Time flies by way too fast at home! It’s hard to believe, but here we are at Tuesday and I am back at school and ready to take on the final six weeks of my college career.

I’ll be honest and tell you it was nice to take the weekend off from blogging and spend time with The “Bender” Clan. As I mentioned in my last post, my aunt came to town, too, so it was great to have the chance to see her.

One of the most fun things we did during my weekend away was attend My Nana’s Best Tasting Salsa Challenge in Tempe on Saturday afternoon.

I used the event as a chance to take some photojournalism photos. It’s a hard-hitting news story πŸ˜‰ But really, it was for a great cause – the Arizona Hemophilia Association – and with more than 90 different salsa variations ranging from mild to super spicy, it was a foodie’s dream, too!

I’m trying to be artistic here with a carefully placed pineapple :) I did the same with a piΓ±ata.

There were about 12 other pictures that I really liked. This fancy camera is really growing on me!

Another exciting part of our weekend: watching professional bull riding! We went to the Buffalo Chip Saloon on Friday night and I enjoyed a Corona while trying to snap some photos. Most of them didn’t turn out very well, but I promise that was actually because of the lighting πŸ˜‰ It’s very difficult to get a non-blurry shot when it’s so dark outside. Here was my best one:

They are prepping the bull + rider to go out into the “ring” (correct terminology?) I had no idea what they actually did to make the bulls buck. It was kind of eye opening. Read about it here.

Last but certainly not least on the “event” agenda was getting the chance to visit Cave Creek Coffee Company, the coffee shop where Miss Stephenie Meyer herself is rumored to have written a lot of The Twilight Series.

I really wanted to order a coffee, but unfortunately it was closed when we arrived :( Next time!

And visions of Edward Cullen danced in my head…kidding! Kind of.

It was a really great weekend. We ate pizza on Friday night, went to a nice Italian restaurant on Saturday night, and then Papa Bender was at his finest on Sunday night. We had steaks for dinner, which were excellent, but the highlight was the first corn-on-the-cob of the season!

I love corn-on-the-cob!! It screams spring + summer to me :) Another great foodie highlight was the best sweet bowl of oatmeal I have ever had. I made this before I played golf and it fueled me well!

I used the whole banana method again and topped the oats with a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips and a spoonful of Barney Butter. Quite the obvious combination and one that I have definitely seen on other blogs before, but I had never tried it myself. I really enjoyed every bite.

I love trips home during the middle of the quarter. Although they aren’t necessarily productive, they do help me refresh and get out of the “Go! Go! Go!” mindset, if only for a few short days.

Uh Oh – I would write more but I just spotted a SPIDER on my ceiling! To give you a sense of what my fear is like: I currently am typing but not taking my eyes off of the ceiling, and my palms are starting to get sweaty. Time to go get a big wad of tissues.

I’ve got a lot of reviews to do this week – I’m thinking I may do a video post for the P90X recap. Would that be something that interests all of you?

I hate spiders,

1 Danielle April 28, 2009 at 8:07 am

Those pictures are fabulous!
I definitely would love to see a video review!

2 Sharon April 28, 2009 at 8:09 am

Oh wow, totally awesome and fun!!!!!
EEEK spiders! >_<

3 Danielle April 28, 2009 at 8:11 am

One vote for the video post! :) :)

4 Monica April 28, 2009 at 8:15 am

I was smiling the entire time I read this post. It sounds like you had such a great time with your family! Arizona is so much fun. I love that you went to Cave Creek :) oh and yes to the video post!

5 brandi April 28, 2009 at 8:17 am

that salsa festival looks like so much fun! I’m glad you had a good visit with family :)

I’d love to see a video post for the p90x review! good luck with your spider situation – just get away if you need to. That’s what I do!

6 Hangry Pants April 28, 2009 at 8:22 am

Hi Jenn, I am glad you are having fun at home with your family. Arizona looks like such a nice place. A salsa tasting sounds fantastic!!!! I love your artistic pinata!! Have fun. πŸ˜€

7 Shannon (The Daily Balance) April 28, 2009 at 8:24 am

would love a video review! Edward Cullen — HA! I love it! (and him πŸ˜‰ ) the Mister doesn’t know it yet, but we’re totally going as Edward and Bella for Halloween πŸ˜‰

8 Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) April 28, 2009 at 8:25 am

I’m so glad you had such a great time at home! I know I am ready to get home and enjoy summer. I can’t believe you have 6 weeks left! CAH-RAZY. Enjoy them!

9 lora April 28, 2009 at 8:31 am

visions of edward are always dancing in my head HAHA get back to chi and bring the nice weather with you…im having an Alice moment and predicting a pancake house brunch sitting outside soon :)

10 Lara (Thinspired) April 28, 2009 at 8:43 am

What a fun weekend, Jenn! Corn on the cob definitely marks the summer season for me :)
I have the same phobia of spiders. It’s pretty bad. I wish I could shake it but there’s not getting around it: I hate them!
I would love to see your smiling face in a video post, and I am intrigued about the P9OX but I know very little about it. So yes, a review would be great!

11 Clare @ Clare's Two Steps Forward April 28, 2009 at 8:44 am

I like your post title =)

I’m glad you had a good weekend with your family. But I can’t believe you have 6 weeks left! I just have one! where do you go to school?

12 Erica April 28, 2009 at 8:46 am

What a fun weekend! I would love to go to something like that salsa event! Chips and salsa are SO my weakness!! Great pictures too! I would really enjoy to see that video post.

13 Betsy April 28, 2009 at 8:49 am

The pictures in this post are really great! Glad to hear you had a good weekend. And yes, a video review sounds wonderful.

14 Allison April 28, 2009 at 8:50 am

YES please! Definitely a video recap of P90x!!!! :)

15 runsarah April 28, 2009 at 8:50 am

I’d love to see a p90x recap, I have heard a lot of good things about it!

16 ksgoodeats April 28, 2009 at 8:56 am

I have to say, your fancy shmancy camera is taking some great pictures! What a fun event! Salsa?! Yes please!

Corn on the cob is summer in a vegetable! I love it!! I could go without kernels in my teeth but it’s worth it!

Woohoo for 6 weeks!! It’s going to FLY BY!

17 dailygoods April 28, 2009 at 8:58 am

i can’t WAIT to hear your p90x review! It’s just so expensive but I wish I could get it! You always made it sound SO amazing

18 coco April 28, 2009 at 9:03 am

such a fun weekend with family! And horay for the first corn on cob!! Love it!! πŸ˜€

19 elise April 28, 2009 at 9:11 am

corn on the cob is definitely a food i equate with summer. finally!!!

20 sweetandnatural April 28, 2009 at 9:13 am

Oh my goodness – my bf took me to see bull riding in Madison Square Garden for his b-day. I was VERY skeptical, but it was lots of fun! The bulls are cool. :-)

21 verbalriot April 28, 2009 at 9:16 am

Your pictures are beautiful, I give you an A+ in that photojournalism class πŸ˜‰

I would love to see a video review of the program! I’ve heard so much about but am way too intimidated to try it out.

Glad you had a good time with the fam! We’re almost done!

22 Jessica April 28, 2009 at 9:28 am

Looks like you had such an awesome time- what a cool event to go to! And yum, corn on the cob :)

23 charlsie April 28, 2009 at 9:38 am

There is something about mini chocolate chips… makes me feel decadent without being unhealthy. hehe! Your pictures are awesome, I’m jealous you went to salsa heaven!

24 snackface April 28, 2009 at 10:02 am

Aww, so glad you fully enjoyed your weekend! Corn on the cob DOES equal summer. I say YES to the video post!

25 Ellen April 28, 2009 at 10:09 am

I am EXACTLY the same way with spiders. When I’m at home, I still make my dad kill them!

26 FoodsThatFit April 28, 2009 at 10:13 am

A video would be awesome! I have been doing P90X as well, love it, but still can’t do a pull up for the life of me.

27 Sarah April 28, 2009 at 10:15 am

“Them other bloggers don’t know how to act…” Sorry.

I seem to recall some cute corn cobbers…what happened?!

I vote for a video post. Especially if you can find a way to work in a tamber.

28 Lauren April 28, 2009 at 10:51 am

I have arachnophobia big time – hate those spiders! Fresh corn on the cob is one of my favorite summer foods. I can’t wait for farmer’s markets to start opening up!

29 Sara April 28, 2009 at 10:59 am

Fun times in AZ! I’ve always wanted to go to the Nana’s Salsa competition, and I’ll have to pay a visit to the coffee shop in Cave Creek…perhaps Stephenie or Edward will be there. :)

I think a video on P90X would be great.

30 Melissa S. April 28, 2009 at 11:30 am

What a great time at home! Looks like a lot of fun!

And the mini chips in your oats? Making my mouth WATER! Yummers!

31 Natalie April 28, 2009 at 11:39 am

Team Edward! πŸ˜‰

Looks like you had a great weekend! Great pics too…

32 Pearl April 28, 2009 at 12:01 pm

that sounds SO fun!

33 RK April 28, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I am glad you had a great and relaxing weekend with the family in AZ. Good luck with your last weeks of college! AND your pictures are awesome :)

34 Andrea April 28, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Vi-de-o! Vi-de-o! Vi-de-o!

35 Maggie April 28, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Aw, it sounds like you had such a good time :) I love visiting my parents. (And when they visit me!) That corn on the cob is making me craaave it. Corn + butter + salt is one of my favorite summer foods.

36 Andrea (Off Her Cork) April 28, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Hi Jenn! Congrats on your final 6 weeks, that’s pretty exciting! πŸ˜€ Ooo corn on the cob sounds so delish! Mmmm

37 Erin April 28, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Glad you feel refreshed, your weekend looks great!
I’d love to see a video and good luck with the rest of the school year!

38 Shelby April 28, 2009 at 2:27 pm

39 Sarah April 28, 2009 at 2:45 pm

i’m glad that you had a great weekend and youre back safe and sound. Your pictures are FABULOUS, like seriously, they are amazing. I can really tell that youve learned a lot in that class!

I would love a video post! YAY!

40 Katie April 28, 2009 at 2:56 pm

A video post would be great! I’m lovin’ the photos – the pinata one is my favorite. You’re starting to convince me that maybe I need to go shopping for a new camera!

41 Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 28, 2009 at 3:00 pm

You’ve gotten really good with that camera!! I may print that pinata pic to hang in my classroom!
I hate spiders too… no worries… at least you don’t have piles and piles of ants like we do!

42 Marianne April 28, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Looks like you had a great time back at home. Love the corn on the cob – I saw some at my produce market this week, but it was from Florida. A little too far away for me to want to actually buy it. I’ll wait until summer when it’s BC corn season πŸ˜€

43 zestycook April 28, 2009 at 5:17 pm

I missed you bender!! Great post and awesome pics :)

44 glidingcalm April 28, 2009 at 5:19 pm

video post! ya yaaaaaaa!

salsa fun in Tempe! jealz.

and that oatmeal does looks like the BEST bowl of sweet oatmeal ever. love the chippers. chocolate chippers.

happppppppppppppppppppppppppppy EVERYTHING. (I didn’t really want to say just WEDNESDAY.)

love you Miss!

45 eatingbirdfood April 28, 2009 at 6:09 pm

It looks like you had so much fun at home. I love the pictures you took at the salsa challenge and the one of the bull riders. You may think this is really funny but in middle school I really liked watching professional bull riding on TV. I thought it was really cool.

Corn on the cob has to be one of my favorite foods and it totally screams summer in my head too. Love it!

AND One more vote for the video post!!!

46 Kristie April 28, 2009 at 6:50 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more perfect cob of corn.

I hate spiders too. Hate hate hate. They freak me out!

What a wonderful weekend home with the fam, I’m glad you had such an awesome time!

P90x vid recap? Heck yes! :)

47 ttfn300 April 28, 2009 at 9:04 pm

yes, recap please!! when you have the chance :) sounds like you had a fantastic break with the bender clan! love those photos–i’m so tempted to try out a fancy camera!

48 carolinebee April 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm

here’s my P90x recap- holy crap this is *($)$* hard!!! πŸ˜€ But awesome- maybe you can get Tony to guest star??

I totally agree- blogging time off is great and necessary..and it’s fun to recap your weekend with a few choice photos! My cousin JUST moved to Chicago..soo you know what that means, can’t wait for meet up numba two!! *see* you on fri for book club discush..

49 Bec April 28, 2009 at 11:01 pm

wow that festival looks like fun, glad you are enjoying your time at home!

50 broccolihut April 28, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Salsa tasting? Where do I sign up??

That corn on the cob makes me so happy–summer is so close!

51 Jessica (jesslikesithot) April 29, 2009 at 12:30 am

Sounds like you had a LOVELY time at home Jenn!! Yummm, that corn of the cob looks so good! Definitely craving it now! And yes, please make a video of the P90X recap!

52 Tina April 29, 2009 at 3:46 am

Looks like a fantastic weekend, beautiful weather and awesome pictures. I love taking pictures and especially when they turn out nice and focused on the right points and blurred in the background. That’s so cool that you went to the coffee shop where Meyer is said to have written most of Twilight. Too bad it was closed! :/

53 Marissa April 29, 2009 at 9:37 am

Arizona is participating in Dining Out for Life so if you can dine out tomorrow! (www.diningoutforlife.com)

54 Danica April 29, 2009 at 10:57 am

Great pictures – it looks like you had soooo much fun! I would LOVE to see a video post as I have always wondered about the P90X.

Glad you enjoyed your break and are back to blogging.

55 janetha April 29, 2009 at 11:26 am

eek spiders, i nodded my head as i read your reaction, i am totally the same. you take amazing photos, very artsy. i am always interested in hearing what people think of P90X! i still havent made the investment…

56 Lindsay April 29, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I want to eat that corn! I found a spider on my TOWEL this morning as I went to get in the shower. Even after I got rid of it I had to use a different towel. I’m terrified of them!

57 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) April 29, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Definitely interested in a P90X review! Bring it on.

You need not justify any bug fear to me – I have been known to burst into tears at the mere sight of a spider, though it was my bedbug experience that truly ruined me forever. I did not know paranoia til then. Now, everything is a bug to me! At this point, I’m just proud that I can actually manage to pick bugs up with tissues – I used to require a 3rd party to rectify the situation. πŸ˜›

58 Erin April 29, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I’m glad you took a week off. We should do it more often! Mental health comes before blog health!
Your time with the fam sounds wonderful, as always. Is it true that they light the bulls testies to get ’em going?

59 homegirlcaneat April 29, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Hi hi! I am a first time commenter but a long time reader because I never had a blog! But I finally made one and had to comment all my favorite bloggers to say hello and how much I enjoy reading your blog! Anyways, that corn on the cob looks bomb! I love when all the springy and summery foods come out!

60 Angela April 29, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I would love a video!

Salsa is one of my favourite things in the world. It should be its own food group. :)

I adore your photography too. Your pictures always look so beautiful.

61 burpexcuzme April 30, 2009 at 2:53 am

oh, spider…how dare you encroach Jenn’s territory…
wow, you’re almost done with college…exciting times ahead of you!
What a fun day you had! Salsa is just one of my fav things, but I love them realy hot and spicy!

62 Karla April 30, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Ooh, I hate spiders too!

Glad to see that you had a fun time in Arizona :) Nice pictures!!

I would LOVE to see a video review of P90X. My request for P90X for my birthday present from Mom and Dad hinges on your review πŸ˜‰ I’ve been thinking about getting it for a while after seeing those informercials!

63 Jenn (eating bender) April 30, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Thank you all for the kind comments about my pictures! I really appreciate the feedback :)