I Can Taste It…Literally! + Meet Me in St. Louis (Part Three)

by Jenn (eating bender) on June 6, 2009

Friends, loves, etc…I can TASTE the end of my college career! I mean that quite literally, since I was actually given two free cupcakes courtesy of Phoebe’s Cupcakes, the business that my final photojournalism project is covering! I will present the final photo slideshow (with sound!) on my blog this week :) And there may or may not be more pictures on a certain blog Tuesday morning!

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I will have officially graduated by this time just two weeks from now. It’s quite scary, but as I’ve said before, I’m ready! I look forward to having a short break after graduation. I’m going home to Arizona for the end of June and beginning of July. Then there’s an incredibly awesome Maui trip planned with my mom. And then, last but not least, I return to Chicago and my new apartment with Bobby for the start of “what’s next.” And just what is next?

I’m excited to report that I have a PR internship lined up! I’m going to be working for a firm in downtown Chicago in their consumer marketing practice. It actually involves a lot of food companies, so I’m very excited because I’ll get to “combine my passion for writing with health and nutrition” – and you may recognize that line from my About Bender page :) Everyone I’ve met so far has been so welcoming and enthusiastic, which really has made me more eager to get started. They also know about the blog, so if you’re reading…Hi!

So that’s what’s up. I want to thank all of you who have been sending kind words and congrats my way these past few weeks. I truly think of you all as my good friends, and wish everyone lived by me 😉

Alright, here now is the final recap from my trip to St. Louis. I enjoyed writing part one and part two. As many of you commented, my cousin really knows how to entertain! Our last day was no different.

Meet Me in St. Louis: Sunday

We woke up early again on Sunday and had leftover waffles, quiche and sausage from Saturday’s breakfast. We watched some old episodes of The Office while we let our stomachs settle, and then decided to head to the gym. After our workout, we made our way to Whole Foods for some hot bar action! The one by Lisa’s house had a huge selection.

I went with a little of everything :) There was tofu, sweet potatoes, marinated mushrooms (my favorite!), Greek salad, artichokes, peanut noodles and Gorgonzola cheese, all on top of gigantic bed of spinach. It was definitely filling! I also splurged on a Kombucha – I wish these came in 24-packs!

After lunch, we meandered around the store and looked at some of our favorite products. Eventually, we returned to the prepared foods section and couldn’t help but try some sorbet samples. Well, one thing led to another

I got the piña colada sorbet, and was not disappointed.

After lunch + impromptu dessert, we headed back to Lisa’s and spent the afternoon talking and looking at more pictures on her porch swing. It was so pleasant! Eventually, the rain brought us inside, so we got ready for our big night out on the town – with my aunt, grandma and Lisa’s husband :) Where did we end up?

Harrah’s! My family (grandma especially, haha) loves going to the casino every once in a while. We are not huge gamblers by any means, but it can be really fun! This was actually my first time ever being able to play, so I was very excited! But first, we went to dinner at the Range Steakhouse.

There was so much to choose from on the menu! The side dishes in particular stood out as simply mouthwatering. It was a tough call, but I eventually decided I just had to try the “Sweet Potato with Pecan Butter” – yum!

We started out with a basket of fresh bread. Can’t go wrong there, right?

We had a choice of salad, and I decided to go the not-so-healthy route with the iceburg wedge. It’s definitely one of my favorite salad options, especially at a steak house. Oh the blue cheese dressing was GOOD!

And then came our entree. I went with the special, which came with a small filet mignon steak and three GIGANTIC prawns (shrimp).

I’m not kidding – these “shrimps” were huge.

And my amazing sweet potato with pecan butter. I’m not sure what the actual ratio of butter to pecans was, but I can tell you that it took butter to a whole new level. I usually wouldn’t even add it to my sweet potato because I don’t really think it tastes like anything, but I had to make an exception!

After dinner, my grandma and aunt headed for the slots, and Lisa, her husband and I headed for the poker tables. Lisa and her hub are big fans of Texas Hold ‘Em. I know how to play but I was a little nervous. They assured me that I would get the hang out it quickly.

It was SO much fun! I ended up winning three hands with a straight, a pair of Aces and a high card. I sat next to Lisa, so I felt a lot more comfortable. I would definitely do it again! I loved how it was interactive and think it would be fun to replicate at home (with candy instead of money maybe, haha!).

We got back late from the casino, and went to bed early because I had to catch the morning train. I had an absolute blast, and have already invited Lisa to Chicago for our next adventure!

And so marks the end of my St. Louis recap. It only took me three weeks 😉 I have a couple of product reviews (including Alisa’s book, which is way overdue) to get to this week, and I hope to be able to cook something a little bit fancier than a bowl of cereal for a post or two.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

1 Emily June 6, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Loved reading about and seeing the great photos of your trip!
Congrats on the PR internship…sounds like it’s the perfect fit for you.
Phoebe’s Cupcakes look amazing! I’d definitely love to visit there when I’m Chicago next!

2 lilveggiepatch June 6, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Congrats on your PR internship! What a great feeling to have that so close to graduation.

The pecan butter sweet potatoes sound SO good. Definitely more than worth it!

3 sweetandnatural June 6, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Congrats on your internship! I’m coming to visit my sis in Chicago this summer so we must meet up! But I think you two have already been discussing that. :-)

4 Shannon (The Daily Balance) June 6, 2009 at 3:05 pm

yay for PR! can’t wait to talk to you about it once you get started 😉

can’t wait for the cupcake slideshow!

have a great night, girl 😉

5 verbalriot June 6, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Wow, congrats on all the big, great news! I am so excited for you, with graduation so close AND post-grad plans with Bobby and a PR internship :)

The trip sounds awesome, why do grandmas love casinos so much? Then again…when I’m a grandma, I can see myself gambling away!

Have a great weekend Jenn!

6 ksgoodeats June 6, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Congrats on the internship!! You’re going to be the star intern!

Between the bread and the sweet potato – I’d eat there and I’m vegetarian!! 😉

7 Shelby June 6, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Sweet Potato with Pecan Butter?!?! Holy Yum!

8 Jessica (jesslikesithot) June 6, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Congrats on getting that PR internship Jenn!! You’re going to do so great with it! I’d LOVE to get into the PR world after college, so i’m definitely envious! :)

Enjoy your last few weeks, you’re so close! And enjoy the time spent with your family,…. and then with your FIANCEE!!

9 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) June 6, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Congrats on your PR internship! That’s so cool that everyone knows about your blog!

Glad you had so much fun hanging out with your cousin!

10 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) June 6, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Your recap posts make me want to go to St. Louis! :) I’m so excited for you and your “what’s next” with you and Bobby, your PR internship, and I’m sure more exciting things that will happen along the way. :)

11 elise June 6, 2009 at 9:32 pm

a 24 pack of kombucha!! that would be like a mortgage!!

12 bobbi June 6, 2009 at 9:35 pm

congrats girl on the internship, I have enjoyed reading all of the wonderful recaps :)

13 Bec June 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm

wow you have been having a blast, congrats on everything!

14 Hangry Pants June 6, 2009 at 11:42 pm

A million congrats on the internship. Sounds perfect! And I can’t believe you’re graduating!

re: sweet potato – i would have been expecting some pecan butter like peanut butter, not butter with pecans in it. how upsetting.

15 Tina June 7, 2009 at 1:47 am

I’m confused, why is the iceberg wedge a “not so healthy” option? Vegetables are good, no? Is there some reason why iceberg lettuce isn’t as good as other types of lettuce? I ask because I myself eat a lot of iceberg lettuce. Or were you referring to the blue cheese and dressing maybe..?

16 april June 7, 2009 at 7:19 am

Pecan butter sounds heavenly!!

17 Heather Eats Almond Butter June 7, 2009 at 8:17 am

Look like another great day in St. Louis. Ha ha – my family loves going to the casinos as well. I’ve never been myself. You’ll have to teach how to play Texas Hold’Em one of these days.

So jealous of your upcoming trip to AZ – how wonderful that you get to go home and take a trip to Hawaii before you begin your internship. You’ve definitely earned some R&R my friend.

Looking forward to seeing your photography project, and I want some of that pecan butter! Sounds amazing.
Happy Sunday Jenn!

18 Alison June 7, 2009 at 8:30 am

Congrats on the internship! I can’t remember if I knew you were from AZ. Where in AZ? Sounds like you have a busy, fun summer ahead of you.
All that food looks wonderful!

19 Hearts Whole Foods June 7, 2009 at 9:06 am

Hi Jenn!

I’m so glad you got that internship, congratulations, sounds very exciting!

Ah, I tend to buy Kombucha in 12-packs because it’s 10% off at Whole Foods and a little savings can be a lot when it’s so $$$.

That trip sounds like you had a blast 😀

20 jenngirl June 7, 2009 at 10:30 am

Jenn!! I’m so excited for you and all that is coming up for you in the next several months! Sounds like a lot of wonderful things are developing and coming your way, you deserve it!

What a fun trip! Love that steakhouse meal, EXACTLY what I would have ordered 😉

21 Kristie June 7, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Wow, that steakhouse dinner truly is mouthwatering. I’m getting hungry just staring at it. Most especially that cooked to perfection sweet potato! What a perfect side dish.

I’ve never been to a casino before but I really want to, I just have this gut feeling that I would hit the slot jackpot 😉 I don’t know if I would tackle the poker tables though, I’m NOT a good cards player!

Congrats on almost GRADUATING!! YAY. That internship you have lined up sounds amazing! As does everything that seems to be starting up for you in the next few months, opening up a whole new life chapter! I can’t wait to hear more about it :)

Hope you’ve had a great weekend!

22 homegirlcaneat June 7, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Omgoooodness, my mouth is watering at these foods!! The sweet potato with pecan butter..umm..yes please?!

That is sooo exciting you are almost DONE! And then get to start a whole new chapter with Bobby and Chicago on your own! And a foodie job! Oh my oh my I just love all this happiness!!

And I just watched your cupcake video on your facebook! :) I loooved it! I used to work at Sprinkles Cupcakes and it totally reminded me of it! Cupcakes are the best!

23 CaSaundra June 7, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Looks like your whole trip was amazing and your upcoming life is going to be ah-mazing as well =D (not that it isn’t already!) And those shrimp? I want some! Can’t wait to read up on your future adventures.

24 Melissa S. June 7, 2009 at 7:01 pm

You Are So Close!!! I can taste it right there with you! I even got a reminder on my phone that you graduate soon! LOL! sooooooooo exciting!

and your trip to maui?! I’m so so jealous! I hope you’re going to drive the road to Hana! It’s absolutely amazing! And try to visit the Blue Pools!! GORGEOUS!!!

25 Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 7, 2009 at 8:29 pm

AAH im so jealous of your trip, but you knew that already. I’m hoping our little meet up will work on Tuesday, but if it doesn’t, we’ll plan something soon! Miss you my dear, and congrats on graduating and joining us in the “grown up” world…

26 Marianne June 7, 2009 at 10:14 pm

You are braver than I at the casino – I stick to slots, the lowest denomination I can! I don’t like parting with my money. Ha!

The steakhouse dinner looks excellent. I can’t say I’ve ever seen an iceberg lettuce wedge on a menu as a salad though – I’m not a big iceberg lettuce fan, so perhaps I just scan past it if it’s there.

Sounds like you have a great internship all lined up – should be really intersting to hear about :)

27 glidingcalm June 8, 2009 at 12:00 am

ahhhhhhhh i love texas hold ’em!!! Unfortunately I haven’t played in forever, and barely remember the rules..but we used to host poker nights at my house with friends!! they were SO much fun!!!

28 glidingcalm June 8, 2009 at 12:01 am

and umm WF hot bar?! I think we all know how I feel about that one.

29 Erica June 8, 2009 at 5:41 am

WOW so many exciting things coming up for you! I just want to say CONGRATS! Enjoy your time off after school- I did the same thing and it was one of the best decisions ever.

30 brandi June 8, 2009 at 7:06 am

what a fun time!!! That is so exciting that you’re so close to being done, and your internship sounds AMAZING!! :)

31 Meghann June 8, 2009 at 8:03 am

Congrats on the PR internship!

I held two PR internships during my senior year at FSU. The first was for the Zimmermand Agency, which represented hotels and vacation spots. I LOVED it!! The second was a smaller form the worked with local businesses, government agencies and non-profits. I think I preferred the vacation agency better, but I would have LOVED to have done something that involved food. :)

32 Danielle June 8, 2009 at 8:32 am

Sounds like you got a great internship!
What an exicting time in your life with all the changes, enjoy it!

33 Danica June 8, 2009 at 10:18 am

Congrats on all of it – graduating, the internship and the cupcake gig. I can’t wait to drool over the cupcakes.

Pecan butter with Sweet potatoes – HOLY YUM!

34 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 8, 2009 at 2:01 pm

NICE! Congrats on the internship – that rules. So does Whole Foods. Drool. Enjoy the next couple weeks!

35 Emily June 8, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Congrats on graduating soon (and the internship!)! SOO Exciting!

Pecan Butter on a Sweet Potato?! YUMMMM!!!