Pomp and Circumstance

by Jenn (eating bender) on June 25, 2009

Hi blog world!

Where to begin?! These past two weeks have been such a blur! I could not have asked for a better Senior Week or graduation ceremony, and now I can finally say, I’M DONE!

The festivities during Senior Week were amazing. They included:

• A hilarious excursion to ComedySportz. My friend got on stage! Here’s Bobby and me.

I had such a blast with my friends and with Bobby. It was strange being done with school and having no obligations, but I wasn’t about to complain! I also did a lot of packing. It was crazy busy!

The weekend following Senior Week brought graduation. Friday’s all-school ceremony was a funny story. It absolutely POURED all morning long, but at 11:30 am, we received word that the ceremony was still to be held outside. They said there was a “window of opportunity” and that, combined with a slightly abbreviated ceremony (shorter speeches, etc.), we would be fine. It all seemed alright when we first arrived. It was even sunny outside – hence the squinting!

But as time went on, we soon realized that it was just the calm before the storm. When our commencement speaker, Wynton Marsalis, began his speech (he condensed it from 6 to 2 pages!), the thunder started rolling in. At least we were still able to hear some great music at the end of his talk!

Our school president rushed to have all of the deans of every school stand up and recognized the graduates all at once, instead of one school at a time. It felt a little rushed, but we were all just happy to be out of there! Immediately after we started exiting the stadium (which has metal bleachers, by the way!), the storm hit. My family and I quickly raced to the car. There was no escaping the fact that we all got soaked, even with a poncho on! But I was quite elated to be a college graduate :)

Saturday was my Medill School of Journalism convocation. Without meaning to sound as though I’m boasting about myself, I was very excited to find out that I was one of 5 students to graduate summa cum laude! It made it hit home that all of the hard work I did these past four years really did pay off. I was given a cord and pin to wear, and they wrote it on my diploma :) Here’s a picture of me and my family!

And here I am with Bobby and my brother after the ceremony! As it turns out, Saturday was about 90 degrees and sunny with what felt like 90% humidity. I got very, very hot waiting outside in my cap and gown! So I’m not exactly looking sweat-free 😉 But still very happy!

I couldn’t have asked for a better end to the year. But I already miss my friends! It is so strange that this part of my life is coming to a close. I just posted an album on Facebook and realized it was my last-ever college album! But of course, I’m looking forward to the future. Bobby and I moved into our apartment in downtown Chicago on Sunday. We worked for a few days and everything is now mostly unpacked!

I say mostly unpacked because yesterday, I flew back with my family to Arizona for a little break before the “next stage” of life begins :) I will be here for about 10 days before my trip to Maui with my mom! I’m looking forward to getting caught up on life: emails, blog, and everything in between. Thanks for bearing with me and I hope you enjoyed this little recap! I will be back soon!

Lots o’ love,

1 MarathonVal June 25, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Congrats on graduating!!! What an exciting time. So what is next for you?

2 Marisa (trim the fat) June 25, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Congrats, Jenn! What a wonderful accomplishment; you should be sooo proud!

All the best as you enter your next phase of life!

3 Erica June 25, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Congrats!!!!! I cannot believe it poured at your graduation- thats nuts! Enjoy your break

4 lowandbhold June 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Congrats!! Yay Class of ’09! Nothing like that feeling of accomplishment! Sounds like you had a really fun week. Enjoy the time with the fam and the vaca.

5 jenngirl June 25, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Oh wow, Jenn, CONGRATS on everything, graduation, your new apartment in Chicago, and an awesome 10 day vacation! Can’t wait for your return, have a blast! :)

6 Sara June 25, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Congrats on graduating!! It’s such a great feeling, isn’t it? I love your orange dress, it’s so cute!

7 Amanda (My Summerizations) June 25, 2009 at 3:18 pm

summa cum laude?! CONGRATS! that’s so awesome jenn!

have fun at home! i’ll see you later this summer hopefully! ashley still needs to figure out her schedule…

8 Emily June 25, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Congrats on graduating, Jenn, and on doing so well! So exciting!

Looks like you had a great senior week, too. Love your cute orange graduation dress!

Hope you enjoy the break and vacation with your mom…you deserve it! :-)

9 homegirlcaneat June 25, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Congrats on everything!!!!! I feel so proud to know such a smart, amazing, dynamic lady!!! :)

10 leslie June 25, 2009 at 3:49 pm

congratulations jenn! summa cum laude, that’s just amazing. enjoy your time off!

11 noodlegirl June 25, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Ohhh congrats! Glad you are having so much fun as well!

12 Hangry Pants June 25, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Congratulations Jenn!!!! Go on and and brag about your self smarty! I hope you will post some apt. pictures when you get settled. How are you liking living withe boy???? I love your orangey dress and I think you look quite fresh and lovely. Thank you for the happy birthday yesterday. I was so excited to see a post from you in my reader today. 😀

13 Andrea June 25, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Jenn, I am so proud of you! You are such an awesome person, so you toot that horn all you want!

14 ksgoodeats June 25, 2009 at 4:14 pm

CONGRATS!!! You and Bobby look smokin 😉 Enjoy your vacation before ‘life’ starts up!!

15 Coco Knudson June 25, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Glad your back!!! and congrats on graduating. I’ve been on that architecture tour around Chicago. It’s Great!

16 Mel June 25, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Congrats on graduating, especially summa cum laude! That is amazing!

17 Maria June 25, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Whoa, sounds like it was a fabulous graduation :). Congratulations on getting the summa cum laude–a great honor!

18 *Andrea* June 25, 2009 at 4:26 pm

ummmm i am SO happy to see your BEAUTIFUL face again in the blogworld. cum laude!?!? you are fabulous :) :) i’m loving that i see a healthy AND smart AND happy girl here<33 you rock!

19 Meghann June 25, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Congrats Jenn!! Thanks for the update you look and sounds truly happy! :) I could not be more proud

20 allijag June 25, 2009 at 5:16 pm

summa cum laude!?!?! congrats, i am so proud of you – that is a seriously huge accomplishment! (although – no surprise coming from you!) :)

looks like you’ve been having a great time – I LOVE that orange dress, and heart Dave and Busters – we had our rehersal dinner there – so fun!

21 Victoria June 25, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Congrats! Summa cum laude is awesome! Enjoy your time with your family!

22 Marianne June 25, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Congrats on all the graduation awesomeness :) You sure have alot of festivities to end your school career. We just had the grad ceremony. Enjoy all your adventures coming up!

23 Shelby June 25, 2009 at 5:27 pm

24 Betsy June 25, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Yeah Summa Cum Laude!! And what an exit – soaked through and through. :) Enjoy your free time and all your accomplishments!

25 Heather Eats Almond Butter June 25, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Many many congrats, especially on graduating summa cum laude. That is a HUGE accomplishment, and I am so happy for you.

You and Bobby just make me want to smile – so cool you’re beginning your new life together in such an amazing city. I can’t wait to hear about life in your new apartment and your job.

Enjoy your time in AZ – you know I love it, and then it’s Hawaii time!!!!

26 brandi June 25, 2009 at 6:15 pm

congratulations!!!! I’m so excited for you, Jenn, and everything that is to come. That’s awesome that you guys have started unpacking your new apartment and I know your trip home and to Maui will be a fabulous way to end this part of your life and begin the next!

I also love that dress you’re wearing – the orangey one. Beautiful!

Big big congrats :)

27 eatingbirdfood June 25, 2009 at 6:52 pm

I loved hearing about your graduation and congrats on graduating summa cum laude Ms. smarty pants -i’m teasing.. I think that it’s something to be very proud of and quite incredible that you were 1 out of 5 to graduate with that honor! Plus a cord is the perfect accessory for oh so flattering gown. :)

Can’t wait to see your new apartment (there’s bound to be some new video posts in store… right?) and hear all about your “new life” living with the Bobster!

Enjoy the next couple weeks relaxing at home.. AND IN MAUI!!!

28 Meg June 25, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Congrats! You should be mighty proud of yourself!

29 Karla Walsh June 25, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Congratulations Jenn!!! What an accomplishment–Summa Cum Laude? Way to go :)

I’m so glad you had a blast these past few weeks and can’t wait to catch up soon. Enjoy Arizona for me!

30 Fitzalan June 25, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Congrats!! Love the pics. At least your graduation will definitely be memorable for your whole family with a storm like that!

Happiness Awaits

31 Mia {runs and rests} June 25, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Wow! Congratulations on graduating with HONORS!!! I loved this post as it reminded me of my own university graduation, thanks! :)
I especially like the last picture. You and your bro look great in orange. 😛

32 Shannon (The Daily Balance) June 25, 2009 at 7:55 pm

CONGRATS on your fantastic academic accomplishments!! The Mister and I took an architectural boat tour in Chicago on one of our past trips to the city and LOVED it!

Can’t wait to hear more about the new place with Bobby!!

Have fun getting ready for Maui — sooooooo jealous, but I plan on living vicariously though you 😉

33 TorontoGirloutWest June 25, 2009 at 8:05 pm

You’ve had some awesome times lately!!!!! Congratulations on a fantastic accomplishment! :)

34 glidingcalm June 25, 2009 at 8:46 pm

wow you weren’t lying about the rain!!

i will say one thing….since moving, I definitely DO NOT MISS the humidity!! PNW is marvelous for good weather and beautiful views!!

love all the picture action, but I’ll keep my comments to……..not myself, cuz they are ALREADY all over facebook! to facebook, to facebook!

35 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) June 25, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Yay Jenn, Congrats on everything!

36 gymratfoodie June 25, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Love your pictures of you and your family :) congratulations!

37 april June 25, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Yay I missed your posts! congratulations!

38 broccolihut June 25, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Sounds like you’ve had a lot going on during your hiatus! Congratulations, my dear–you will go far in life:)
Great to hear from you!

39 Rebeca June 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Congrats Girl! You had so much on your plate and managed to excel… Impressive :)

The blog world is so proud of you (well at least this little corner of it is ;)).

40 snackface June 25, 2009 at 10:43 pm

OMG YOU’RE A REAL PERSON NOW!!! Can you even believe it? You are graduated, and moving in with the love of your life! Ahhh! I am so excited for you!

41 Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) June 25, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Congratulations! I miss you, Lovely Girl. You and Bobby are one hawt couple!

42 Leng June 26, 2009 at 4:10 am

Congrats Jenn! Good luck with life after college! Top 5! wow that’s great! Even better a graduation ceremony that didn’t go longer than expected. 😉

43 eatavegan June 26, 2009 at 5:20 am

All graduated! Congrats! Best of luck with this next stage of your life — and have fun in Maui!

44 Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 26, 2009 at 6:30 am

Congratulations!!! LOVE YOU!

45 Andrea (Off Her Cork) June 26, 2009 at 6:39 am

Hooray Jenn!!! Congrats! Great recap 😀

46 Michelle June 26, 2009 at 7:23 am

Congratulations on your wonderful accomplishments Jenn! Summa cum laude is amazing…good for you! It sounds like your life is full of wonderful, fun, and new things and they are all right on the horizon! Enjoy every, single one of them to the fullest! 😉

47 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) June 26, 2009 at 7:31 am

Congrats on graduating gorgeous! Seems like everything is going so well – such an exciting time! And SO jealous you’re going to Maui, have fun with your mom! :)

48 Aimee June 26, 2009 at 8:45 am

Congrats Jenn!! So glad to see you back. Have fun at home and in Maui.

49 Quinn June 26, 2009 at 9:25 am

Congratulations, and welcome to the next phase of your life!

50 runjess June 26, 2009 at 10:41 am

Congrats on graduating with such high honors. I can’t wait to see what your next stage brings.

51 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 26, 2009 at 11:49 am

SUMMA CUM LAUDE?! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Holy cannoli, that’s huge. Enjoy your celebrations – MAUI! Apt. with boy! So much excitingness. :) Eat it up. (Then tell us about what you ate up, haha.)

52 Kath June 26, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Congrats on summa cum laude!!!!!!!!!!!! You’re very smart :)

53 wholefoodswholeme June 26, 2009 at 4:09 pm

HUGE congrats to you beautiful!!!!!! you must be so proud of yourself 😀 you know we are!! i love your orange dress, you look so lovely and you and bobby make such a handsome couple :) i am so excited for your next stage in life. pictures of your new place would be very much appreciated, when you get a chance, of course 😉 have fun!

54 Jessica (jesslikesithot) June 26, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Congratulation Jenn!!! You look STUNNING for being soaked with rain girl!

And enjoy your time in Arizona with the fam, can’t wait to check out some more Papa Bender meals! :)

55 Danielle June 26, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Oh my gosh congratulations gorgeous! I’m so excited for you and proud of you I just don’t know what to do with myself 😉 you’re absolutely fantastic! P.S. I’m sending you an e-mail… you’ll see why :)

56 Sweet and Fit June 26, 2009 at 7:55 pm

congrats on graduating summa cum laude! that is such a wonderful accomplishment!

welcome back =)

57 CaSaundra June 27, 2009 at 5:35 am

I just graduated high school this year–I cannot believe what it must feel like to graduate college; such an accomplishment! Congrats and I can’t wait to be updated on what your doing next–take care! :-)

58 Erin June 27, 2009 at 6:25 am

Woohoo, Jenn! Congrats on graduating! Go Wildcats! 😉

59 strivingforbalance June 27, 2009 at 9:31 am
60 stephanie June 27, 2009 at 9:33 am

congrats! what an honor…northwestern and the j-school are so hard as it is. I am actually moving to Chicago in August so my boyfriend can finish law school at northwestern (he’s completed two years elsewhere)! We are also living downtown – in streeterville! so excited!

61 elise June 29, 2009 at 11:46 am

you are SUCH a stud!! you can (and should) boast about yourself, that is an amazing accomplishment! well done and congrats again…cant wait to hear about life in chi town…

62 ttfn300 June 29, 2009 at 7:27 pm

CONGRATS girl, so proud of you :)

63 Erin July 6, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Wow, Jenn, I’m hopelessly behind! I’m so proud of you and your accomplishments. You have earned your bragging rights, definitely – you’re so hardworking and wonderful and I’m just so proud of you and happy to be your friend.
I love your family!