Beautiful People [VIDEO]

by Jenn (eating bender) on June 27, 2009

The title of this post is how I characterize all of you. Thank you so much for your sweet comments on my graduation, move, etc.! It means so much to me that I can share pieces of my life with so many genuinely kind people. I truly appreciate all of you!

I will definitely be posting some pictures of the apartment once I get back to Chicago. So far, I don’t have too much to say since we’ve only had one day in the new place before we left! But I can tell you that we did pop open a bottle of champagne that my aunt gave us and it was very fun to sit on the balcony up high in the sky and stare at the Chicago skyline while sipping :mrgreen: I think I could get use to being a city girl for a few years!

Also, for those who asked, I will be starting an internship with a PR firm downtown in mid-July. I am really excited about it because the company works with a lot of food-type clients, and the people there are all very nice. More to come on that once it starts!

It has been such a treat to have this time in Arizona with my family. Yesterday was a Papa Bender delight, by all standards. Well, except breakfast. That one was all me.

Yes, you know it was made by me thanks to the lack of creativity, right? πŸ˜‰ I had a simple bowl of Kashi Go Lean and unsweetened vanilla almond milk topped with banana and blueberries. So glad that it’s summer fruit time!

There was also some Coffee Cocoa action in one of my favorite mugs.

I spent the morning catching up on the more than 300 emails I received during my little “hiatus” – I basically had no Internet access this past week, and between all the good emails and the junk (mainly) mail I subscribe to – I sign up for way too many newsletters! – it all added up! That took quite a while, but then I got distracted and started looking at wedding dresses and brainstorming ideas :) We are going to have the wedding in Arizona and starting to figure out where and when. Details to come!

Before I knew it, half the day was gone, but Papa Bender saved the day by calling everyone to the kitchen for lunch! Turns out, he made a little sandwich buffet for us. We decided to take our sandwiches and corn-on-the-cob outside to enjoy the sunshine.

My sandwich was made up of salmon, turkey, provolone, pickles and honey mustard on a whole wheat roll. I also had a little extra salmon and turkey on the side πŸ˜‰

After lunch, my brother and I went to the pool for a bit and I caught up on one of my Eating Well magazines that Karla was kind enough to supply me with. When we got back, we decided to head to the gym. I did 20 minutes on the Stepmill followed by an arm workout. I was feeling tired for some reason, so it wasn’t anything special.

Dinner was my all-time favorite Papa Bender meal: fajitas! I swear that my dad’s fajitas are better than any I have ever tried at even the best Mexican restaurant. And so fashionably presented, too πŸ˜‰

Several different protein, veggie and topping selections…

I had two of what you see in the next picture! So nice I had to have them twice.

And Papa Bender also made up a batch of…MARGARITAS!!

Home is where the heart is :) We let our food settle by sitting outside for a while and then it was time to celebrate my brother’s 16th birthday! It was actually his birthday back on June 17, but because of all the graduation craziness, we decided to wait until we could have a proper celebration.

What a cutie! I can’t believe that he is now officially taller than me. It’s so unfair! We got his favorite red velvet cake from Cold Stone, complete with vanilla ice cream and chocolate shavings. SO GOOD. And my mom didn’t skimp on my gigantic slice. But I had no problem eating it all πŸ˜‰

I was pretty stuffed after a big dinner and dessert, but it was all delicious. I received a few freebies in the mail yesterday, too, so I’m excited to review those soon! I have so much stuff backlogged that I need to tell you about! For now, I would like to share with you my final project for photojournalism: Phoebe’s Cupcakes. You may have seen a preview of this project when I did a guest post on Angela’s blog (thanks for the sweet comments on that post!), and now, here is the finished project. Enjoy!

Phoebe’s Cupcakes (may not show up in Google Reader, but the video is below!)

I am slowly making my way around to all of your blogs. Life feels “normal” again when I’m reading about what everyone had for breakfast πŸ˜‰ I’ve missed you!

Happy weekend,

1 Mel June 27, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Oh, I totally want to see pics of your new digs… I know how hectic it is with moving. I’m still not completely settled yet!

Ice cream cake and cupcakes all in one post… I’m drooling.

2 glidingcalm June 27, 2009 at 4:52 pm

I missed youuuuuuuuuu Jenn! So I love that I have my stripey cup to sip and think of you with!!

Oh Papa B! What to say!! Umm… totally would be pouncing on those fajitas if I could. And salmon and turkey and cheese action. GOSH. I love the good family eating!!

Happy you are home, and so cute that you popped a bottle of bubbly with Bobby! (Now that’s a tongue twister!)

have fun loverrrrrrr!

3 janetha June 27, 2009 at 4:54 pm

i am digging the blueberrybananarama! looks so good! as does that CAKE! nom nom nom. i love seeing new places! can’t wait to see your spot.

4 Jenny June 27, 2009 at 5:03 pm

so siked to see the new pad ms. bender!

p.s. i kind of want to bathe in your breakfast! <3

5 Shelby June 27, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Papa Bender is quite the chef! Wow, he should start his own blog…or even just a guest post! πŸ˜‰

I’m excited for summer fruit too! My favs!

6 Emily June 27, 2009 at 6:02 pm

“Life feels β€œnormal” again when I’m reading about what everyone had for breakfast”….haha! Too true! πŸ˜‰

By the way, Your simple breakfast looks delish!

7 Jessica (jesslikesithot) June 27, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Do not even say you lack creativity!!!! I always love your daily eats, because I honestly get so many ideas from you!!! Over winter time (before I had a blog), i’d get SOOO many ideas from you, whether it be a cereal mix, oatmeal, wraps, etc!!! It’s all so simple but delicious!! :)

LOVED seeing the papa bender meals, enjoy your time with the fam Jenn!!

8 Whit June 27, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Papa Bender’s fajitas look AH-mazing!

9 Maria June 27, 2009 at 6:59 pm

The sandwich looks sooo good with that corn on the cob. Love summer veggies and fruit ;). Papa Bender’s fajitas and that ice cream red velvet cakes sounds and looks divine!

Great job on the videosβ€”photos look fabulous :). Cupcakes = mmm. Hope you have a fabulous rest of the weekend with the family!

10 carolinebee June 27, 2009 at 7:07 pm

sooo fun!!! I’m so happy you’re back in the AZ, and then freakin’ hawaii!! AHHH what a life πŸ˜€ Happy b-day to lil’ bender bro!

11 broccolihut June 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Haha, I totally hear you on subscribing to too many newsletters!
Happy birthday to your brother! It looks like an excellent frosting:cake ratio there:)
Once again, so glad to have you back:)

12 verbalriot June 27, 2009 at 11:54 pm

I’m so glad you got to hang out home and are settling in after graduating. AWESOME video!

13 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 28, 2009 at 6:39 am

That video belongs on the NYT website!

I’m hiring Papa Bender, PS. Hope you can live without him for a while.

14 karla522 June 28, 2009 at 7:21 am

So many exciting things to comment about on this post:
1. Amazing project Jenn! It turned out SO well!!

2.Papa Bender’s eats look yummy as usual.

3. Thanks for the shout-out. I hope you’re enjoying the magazines. I have a bit of a stack piled up too :)

4. I love how you just talk so casually about browsing for wedding dresses–that’s super exciting to me!

5. I’m SO with you on the newsletters, but occasionally there’s some useful info in there so you can’t stop subscribing, right?

6. Happy birthday to your brother!

15 Lara (Thinspired) June 28, 2009 at 7:37 am

Hi Jenn! Oh, so many exciting things going on with you! I am so glad to have you back and can’t wait to follow all you adventures to come :) As usual, Pappa Bender’s food looks amazing. I have never seen fajitas presented so lovely!

16 Erica June 28, 2009 at 8:17 am

I have missed your posts so much! I actually had a big grin when I saw the cup of coffee cocoa. Papa Benders meals are awesome. Shrimp fajitas are one of my favorite meals. I love that he lays it out so you can really grab whatever you want! mmmmm. Enjoy your time in Arizona…cannot wait to hear the wedding details <3

17 ksgoodeats June 28, 2009 at 8:33 am

When I was a little tyke, plain cheerios and fresh blueberries were my “up north” breakfast. So simple but so good!

Happy belated to your little bro!! Ahhh he’s driving! Papa Bender is quite the cook – I’m always impressed!

I’m curious what part of Chicago your new apartment is in. I’ll let you know where my cousins live? Deal?! πŸ˜‰

18 jenngirl June 28, 2009 at 8:41 am

So glad you’re enjoying some great family time! I can’t wait to hear about all that you’ve got coming up–wedding dress, PR job…yay Jenn! :)

Yummy margaritas and fajitas!! And happy belated bday to your bro! Ah red velvet cake is certainly my favorite πŸ˜‰

19 eatingbirdfood June 28, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Papa benders meals never disappoint. Everything looks delicious. And I absolutely LOVED the Phoebe’s Cupcakes video/sideshow. Awesome job putting that all together!

Have fun hanging with the fam.

20 Kristie June 28, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I’ve definitely had the email newsletter pileup before. I had to eventualyl unsubscribe from a bunch because I just couldn’t keep up. So sad!

Great Phoebe’s Cupcake project! You did an awesome job and the photography all looks wonderful.

Congrats on the graduation and move and all of the new and exciting things starting up in your life Jenn! :)

21 Alison June 28, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Glad you’re having a good time in AZ. I’m looking forward to wedding details. I had my wedding in Phoenix.
Those fajitas look great, as does your breakfast.

22 Mia {runs and rests} June 28, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Your video had me craving cupcakes! πŸ˜€
Papa Bender’s cooking looks yummy!

23 MarathonVal June 28, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Glad you are back! :) Your dad’s feast looks INCREDIBLE. Sandra Lee would certainly approve of his tablescape too πŸ˜‰

24 brandi June 29, 2009 at 7:51 am

i’ve been waiting to see papa bender’s meals :) I’m glad you’re having a great time and happy late birthday to your brother!

25 Shannon (The Daily Balance) June 29, 2009 at 8:35 am

oh, I have missed you!!

Your brother is such a cutie! Coldstone cakes are the best!

Per usual, Papa Bender’s culinary creations look amazing πŸ˜‰

Awesome video, too – those cupcakes are to die for!

26 elise June 29, 2009 at 11:47 am

happy birthday (belated) to your bro! those corn on the cob dishes are the coolest thing ive ever seen!! haha, omg, im in love!

27 Bec June 29, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Enjoy your time with your family and on your vacay with your mom next week!

28 ttfn300 June 29, 2009 at 7:32 pm

ah, papa bender!! i’ve missed you two πŸ˜‰ those cupcakes sound awesome! great video :)

29 inmytummy June 29, 2009 at 8:11 pm

I’m jealous of your internship. How is the wedding planning going? I got engaged two weeks ago and am already starting to stress!

30 Sweet and Fit June 30, 2009 at 7:28 am

wow – papa bender is amazing in the kitchen! I am luck if my dad makes his own sammie!

loved the video – and I loved the cupcake place – great job!

31 gina (fitnessista) June 30, 2009 at 1:17 pm

hooray for being in beautiful az and feasting on papa bender’s kitchen creations! i’ve never had them of course, but i know i love his fajitas πŸ˜€ and those margaritas- ay ay ay! πŸ˜€
happy late birthday to little bender :)
hope you’re having a blasty!

32 Erin June 30, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Congrats on graduation! Sipping champagne while looking at the Chicago skyline sounds like an awesome time to me!

33 Heather Eats Almond Butter June 30, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I couldn’t get the video to work. I think it’s my Internet connection. :(

How exciting you’re in AZ, and eating fajitas, Papa Bender style. I love it. Glad you’re enjoying some R & R and happy birthday to your brother. Boy’s got good taste in cake! :)

34 Marianne June 30, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Salmon & turkey in one sandwich? Hmmmm…that seems like flavour overload to me.

35 Danica July 1, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I LOVE your cocoa mug!! Fantastic eats ALL day too!