Bring It On In To Omeletteville

by Jenn (eating bender) on August 12, 2009

One of the top three skits from Justin Timberlake on SNL :mrgreen: Wouldn’t you agree?

Monday night was the first official “Omelette Night” that I photographed for the blog this year. Last summer, Bobby and I got into the omelette habit, and although I make a lot of scrambled eggs around here, I really haven’t been ambitious – or talented – enough to make an omelette…until now!

“Bring it on in to Omeletteville!”

I am so glad that Bobby is willing to split up the tasks – he cuts up the veggies (my least favorite part) and I make the bowls of eggs (the easiest job). We had cucumber, tomato, mushrooms and spinach on the left, eggs on the right. I used my usual 2 eggs + 1 egg white combo.

Once the eggs were about done, I folded them in half to make the omelette. I knew that if I tried to stuff the omelette with veggies, it would break and turn into another night of scrambled eggs. Instead, I kept it egg-only and topped it with 1 oz. of mild white cheddar cheese from Organic Valley. Yum!

After the cheese melted, I transferred the omelette to my plate and topped it with the cooked veggies and a couple of tablespoons of salsa. Delicious, melty goodness!

Can’t forget about dessert…

My latest version of Gena’s Life-Changing Post is a big handful of blueberries topped with the banana soft-serve and sprinkled with some unsweetened coconut. It is ridiculously good.

I love breakfast for dinner. It’s quick, easy and you know it tastes good.

Speaking of breakfast, I had an Oikos topped with maple syrup this morning, courtesy of the coupons I received from Kath and Sarah at BlogHer. Thanks, ladies!

One last thing to rave about: Dr. McDougall’s soups. Especially the vegan split pea. I urge you to try it, even if the thought of anything involving split peas makes you cringe. It’s hearty and definitely fills you up (with some Kashi crackers on the side – yum!) but is also really light, and this version is lower in sodium, too. I found these at Whole Foods and they make for a cheap lunch!

Last but not least, big thanks to Miss Gliding Calm for sending me a cute + sweet postcard!!

I had to Google Pekkle, and the description says he is a duck who walks to the beat of a different drummer.” It sounds like Miss GC knows me well 😉 Thanks, lady! I love snail mail.

• Congrats to Melissa and Bobbi (and others!) for running a kick @$$ WWR race together!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

1 Coco August 12, 2009 at 5:56 am

mmmm I absolutely love omelettes!!! Every time I try and make them though they end up like scrambled eggs. Your way is a great idea. That banana soft serve looks amazing. I still have yet to try and make that, but I have 2 frozen bananas waiting for me. I hope you have a fantastic day my dear!

2 carolinebee August 12, 2009 at 6:00 am

OMG jennnn that is the funniest skit of my life/JT is SO funny on SNL! Have u seen his other variations of it, like the plastic surgery one??? TOTAL die of laughter-fest 😀 Your apt dinner parties with Bobby sound so fun, can’t wait to visit!!

3 Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen August 12, 2009 at 6:02 am

I am about two omelettes a month away from being vegan. Just can’t give up this fave breakfast and easy dinner.

4 Gina August 12, 2009 at 6:31 am

What a great looking omelet! I like that you kept it simple, then added your toppings at the end, that’s the best way to make a good omelet in my opinion. I also love those dehydrated soups. The sodium free versions are necessary because sometimes they are SO SALTY! Split pea soup sounds so gross, but I’ve had it and it’s probably the only way I’d eat it, it’s not bad at all!

5 karla522 August 12, 2009 at 6:34 am

That omelette sure is impressive looking 😉 That looks perfect! By the way, I agree with Caroline, the plastic surgery skit is about as good as Omeletteville–Justin Timberlake is hilarious!! Thanks for the reminder: what a funny/awesome way to start the day :)

6 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) August 12, 2009 at 6:37 am

I love the Justin Timberlake episodes! Omeleteville is classic :)

Yum…I actually LOVE split pea soup so I’m going to have to look for that one, thanks!

7 Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 12, 2009 at 6:40 am

LOVE that skit, and totally love breakfast for dinner!! I’m going to do omelets one day soon, I just have to!

8 nutritionbyeve August 12, 2009 at 6:47 am

I love breakfast for dinner!! It’s so simple & nutritious.

9 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) August 12, 2009 at 6:57 am

Yum, I love omelettes! Neat idea to add the cheese and veggies to the top! It looks really good!

10 Victoria August 12, 2009 at 7:05 am

Nice omelette! Mine always split or get holes or something. I can’t really do eggs.

11 lookingforserenity August 12, 2009 at 7:09 am

I love breakfast for dinner! My family does it almost every sunday!!

12 gina (fitnessista) August 12, 2009 at 7:11 am

you make a bangin’ omelet, miss eating bender 😀 i love having breakfast for dinner!
have a great day <3

13 Lizzy August 12, 2009 at 7:11 am

Jenn that omelet looks sooo delish! yumm! :)

14 Lara (Thinspired) August 12, 2009 at 7:21 am

You are the blogworld’s Omellette Pro :) Seriously, your posts always make me want eggs of some sort!

15 brandi August 12, 2009 at 7:24 am

ooh, great idea on doing the omelette that way!

Pekkle! I used to have tons of stickers with him on it – I would put them on my thumbnails, I remember. Why? I don’t know :)

16 Heather (be well & take care) August 12, 2009 at 7:33 am

Justin Timberlake on SNL is pretty much the best. In fact, I think he should be a regular. I love those McDougall soups! The split pea, black bean and miso are my favorites.

17 MarathonVal August 12, 2009 at 7:52 am

Oh why oh why did you have to go and mention Whole Foods?!?! I was trying desperately to force myself to go a week without shopping there…. for the reason that I binge shop like crazy…. and now it is all I’m thinking about lol….

PS I see you have me on your blogroll (thanks dear!) – my new url is now :)

18 ksgoodeats August 12, 2009 at 7:55 am

Omeletteville and Dick in a Box were two of my all time favorite skits on SNL :)

I love that you and Bobby cook together! I need to look into that soup now that I’m sidelined from real food – boo. I love GC and her snail mail!

PS. I have some exciting news and this time it’s REALLY going to happen because the madre wants to go!

19 glidingcalm August 12, 2009 at 8:21 am

baahahahahha! the fact that that is your post title makes me love you ten times more. (And I didn’t know that was possible!!!)
You are hilarious!!

And Pekkle is just a cute Sanrio character! I don’t think you are that weird at all , Mama!!!

love youuuuuuuu,

20 Rose August 12, 2009 at 8:30 am

That omelette looks GOOD.

21 Kristie August 12, 2009 at 9:06 am

Omelettes always make an awesome meal, always! I usually ruin them and turn them into scrambled eggs too so I’ll be using your veggies on top tip in the near future. Looks prettier that way too :)

Also – LOVE the skit!

22 Kersten August 12, 2009 at 10:35 am

Omelettes=love! I haven’t had one for dinner in a looong time–great idea! I do adore breakfast for dinner. Thanks for the JT skit :) I totally forget to watch SNL… the JT skits are always raucous. I still heart “Dick in a Box” (LOL, did I just say that 😉 )

23 Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) August 12, 2009 at 10:51 am

I totally started singing, “Bring it on down to omeletteville!!!”

I think you know what my favorite JT SNL skit is. It has something to do with a box.

24 runeatrepeat August 12, 2009 at 11:30 am

Love the SNL reference!!!

25 She-Fit August 12, 2009 at 12:17 pm

YUM! I love omelets. These look great.

26 Shelby August 12, 2009 at 12:36 pm

That dessert sounds ridiculously delicious!

27 Alison August 12, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Love the postcard! And omelets are a fabulous dinner. I’m not good at making them but I love scrambled eggs and frittatas.

28 bobbi August 12, 2009 at 2:06 pm

thanks Jen!!!!

29 Allison August 12, 2009 at 2:53 pm

That omlette looks fabulous! Nicely done :)

30 Hangry Pants August 12, 2009 at 4:01 pm

I love when Justin is on SNL and I love that skit Your breakfast for dinner looks so good right now!!!!

31 Erin August 12, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Ahh I love it! I remember your omelet nights! :) So fun.
I think your blueberry + BSS + coconut just might be my breakfast tom.
Way to pitch in Bob Diesel!

32 Lainie August 12, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Your blueberry and banana softserve and coconut looks so freaking delicious – I don’t know why I’ve never thought to eat it for breakfast – GENIUS girl, genius. It always seems so desserty…so it could be really fun for breakfast!

33 theskinnyplate August 12, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Pekkle was one of my favorite Sanrio characters when I was little. Do they every make Pekkle items anymore? I know they discontinued Kerropi a long time ago. Your little reminder took me down memory lane.

34 Rosey Rebecca August 12, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I adore omelets and yours looks great! Love the title of this post too!

35 broccolihut August 12, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Haha, your SNL reference made me laugh:) yes, I do agree.
Amazing omelette! So professional looking.
I am drooling over that dessert too. I am like the only lame person left who has yet to try banana soft serve!

36 Shannon (The Daily Balance) August 13, 2009 at 11:02 am

classic SNL moment hahahaha

LOVE omlettes! – can’t get enough of them! That cheese looks delish :)

37 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) August 13, 2009 at 12:37 pm

AAAH you’re giving me flashbacks to middle school with that Sanrio stuff! In 6th grade you were NOTHING if you didn’t have a pencil box with a Sanrio character on it. Mine was Pochacco (sp?) I believe. So cute…

Way to work the omelette dinner – fast easy and healthy. That’s how I roll too. :)

38 Sarah August 13, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I love omelettes, but cooking them is tricky! I always seem to turn mine into scrambled eggs, too. Good idea to put them on top. And I never would have thought to use cucumber…. How did that work??

39 Andee (Runtolive) August 13, 2009 at 11:07 pm

I love making omeletes when I’m strapped on time and you can make so many different varieties too! I think Greek omelets are my favorite

40 Rebeca August 13, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Oh I love E.B. omelets … yum :) I always try to stuff and end up with basically scrambled eggs… I’m going to just top next time… good idea!

41 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) August 14, 2009 at 2:08 am

Wow you took Gena’s Life Changer to new heights…yum! And I dont eat eggs, but my husband would do backflips for one of your omlettes. Wow, lookin good!

42 ttfn300 August 14, 2009 at 6:22 am

b’fast for dinner is da bomb! :) love the tag-team effort 😉

43 healthy ashley August 14, 2009 at 8:44 am

Between the omelette and the dessert, I am drooling.

44 alla August 14, 2009 at 9:49 am

Mmmmm the omlette looks delicious, smart thinking topping it with salsa :)

I’ve gotta make some of that banana ice cream everyone keeps talking about

45 Dave Fannin August 14, 2009 at 3:51 pm

thats one of my fave skits!

46 CaSaundra August 14, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I love the new spin on the banana softserve!

47 Heather Eats Almond Butter August 15, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I hate chopping veggies as well. I always just throw everything in my food processor. Much easier that way. Your finished omelette of melted goodness looked so delicious. You and Bobby work well together in the kitchen. :)

I’ll have to try the banana soft-serve on some berries with coconut soon. That does look delicious, and I’m excited about that split pea soup. Love the protein content of split pea stuff, and the fact that Dr. MacDougall makes a light sodium version makes me happy.

Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend my friend!

48 elise August 17, 2009 at 8:50 am

AM in the PM!! love it :)

sometimes breakfast-diner fare is just the perfect way to end the day.

49 Marianne August 20, 2009 at 1:26 am

This is why I wish I liked eggs – they would expand my quick meal options immensely!

How does the cooked cucumber taste? I always think of it as a “raw only” veggie.