Glad you all enjoyed the “Karen” story in my last post It certainly made for a good laugh.
Apologies in advance for being a downer, but it’s going to be a rough couple of weeks over here at Eating Bender. We just received some devastating news about my amazing grandma. I’m not going to go into details on here, but just know that if I’m MIA for the next few weeks or so, there’s a reason for it.
Sigh. Can’t think about it too much. I don’t mean to put a dent in anyone’s day by being negative. It’s probably not hard to guess that I strive to keep this blog upbeat, but sometimes life is just not so hot.
I wanted to talk about something before the week ended, however, and as I was looking back on it, I realized that I dove full force into everything PB&J and/or AB&J this week. Case in point:
Almond Butter & Jelly Oatmeal! One of the best oatmeal creations of all time, I promise 😉 Here’s what I used:
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 banana
- 1 tbsp. ground flax
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (such a good addition!!)
- 1 tbsp. Maranatha almond butter
- 1 tbsp. mixed berry jam
The addition of spices and jam made this bowl pop! I love the way the sweetness of the jam worked with the nut butter.
And it’s all thanks to this little jar, which I picked up on sale at Whole Foods last weekend. Can anyone tell me the difference between jam and “conserve”? Is there one?
I’ve also been working the PB&J into my diet in a new way. Thanks to Ashley and Amanda I got my hands on the new Larabar flavor! (I was lucky enough to dine with these two lovely ladies briefly a couple of weeks ago when Ashley was visiting – but I had to leave after 15 minutes to get back to work…long story!)
I wasn’t really sure what to expect since the “jelly” is actually dried cherries, but it was AMAZING!! I am officially a big fan of these new bars. I’ve been buying them in bulk
I guess the moral of my story for today is that sometimes the most basic flavor combinations have the most staying power. Peanut butter and jelly has been around the block a few times, but new ways of using the combo make it fresh and fabulous again.
Now how was that last part for cheesy? Sorry, that’s all I got at the end of a very long week…
Around the Blogosphere
- Check out Mara’s amazing giveaway of a Gourmet Fall Cheese Tasting Party! Ends Sunday!
- Guess how small the blog world is? A girl I went to high school with (she was a year older than me but I totally knew who she was because she was a cool kid, haha – don’t even deny it, Molly!) just started a blog of her own! To top that off, she’s now working at my high school and will blog about those adventures – it’s totally surreal! Check her out: something.beautiful.
Have a nice weekend, everyone! I’m probably going to be visiting my grandma