Peanut (Almond) Butter Jelly Time

by Jenn (eating bender) on September 18, 2009

Glad you all enjoyed the “Karen” story in my last post :) It certainly made for a good laugh.

Apologies in advance for being a downer, but it’s going to be a rough couple of weeks over here at Eating Bender. We just received some devastating news about my amazing grandma. I’m not going to go into details on here, but just know that if I’m MIA for the next few weeks or so, there’s a reason for it.

Sigh. Can’t think about it too much. I don’t mean to put a dent in anyone’s day by being negative. It’s probably not hard to guess that I strive to keep this blog upbeat, but sometimes life is just not so hot.

I wanted to talk about something before the week ended, however, and as I was looking back on it, I realized that I dove full force into everything PB&J and/or AB&J this week. Case in point:

Almond Butter & Jelly Oatmeal! One of the best oatmeal creations of all time, I promise 😉 Here’s what I used:

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 tbsp. ground flax
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (such a good addition!!)
  • 1 tbsp. Maranatha almond butter
  • 1 tbsp. mixed berry jam

The addition of spices and jam made this bowl pop! I love the way the sweetness of the jam worked with the nut butter.

And it’s all thanks to this little jar, which I picked up on sale at Whole Foods last weekend. Can anyone tell me the difference between jam and “conserve”? Is there one?

I’ve also been working the PB&J into my diet in a new way. Thanks to Ashley and Amanda I got my hands on the new Larabar flavor! (I was lucky enough to dine with these two lovely ladies briefly a couple of weeks ago when Ashley was visiting – but I had to leave after 15 minutes to get back to work…long story!)

I wasn’t really sure what to expect since the “jelly” is actually dried cherries, but it was AMAZING!! I am officially a big fan of these new bars. I’ve been buying them in bulk :)

I guess the moral of my story for today is that sometimes the most basic flavor combinations have the most staying power. Peanut butter and jelly has been around the block a few times, but new ways of using the combo make it fresh and fabulous again.

Now how was that last part for cheesy? Sorry, that’s all I got at the end of a very long week…

Around the Blogosphere

• Check out Mara’s amazing giveaway of a Gourmet Fall Cheese Tasting Party! Ends Sunday!
  • Guess how small the blog world is? A girl I went to high school with (she was a year older than me but I totally knew who she was because she was a cool kid, haha – don’t even deny it, Molly!) just started a blog of her own! To top that off, she’s now working at my high school and will blog about those adventures – it’s totally surreal! Check her out: something.beautiful.

Have a nice weekend, everyone! I’m probably going to be visiting my grandma :)

1 VeggieGirl September 18, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Not sure how legitimate these answers are, but they involve the “jam vs. conserve” debate, haha:

You’re sooo right about classic flavor combinations!

Happy weekend!! xo

2 Mel September 18, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Hope everything is okay with your grandma, keeping you in my thoughts!

3 Whitney @ Lettuce Love September 18, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Sorry to hear that you have had a tough couple of weeks — just hang in there. I cracked up when I read the title of this post, I can’t get the Peanut butter, Jelly Time song out of my head!

Have a great Friday!

4 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) September 18, 2009 at 5:05 pm

I love the small world atmosphere of the blog-world. Megan (meganerdruns) and I were actually roommates our freshmen year of college and Ryan (greensforgood) and I went to high school together!

I’ll be keeping your fam and your grandma in my thoughts and prayers. xo!

5 runeatrepeat September 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Keeping your family and grandma in my prayers. Hang in there :)

6 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 18, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Sorry to hear about your Grammy. My prayers are with your family right now.

On lighter matters, the PB & J oats look spec-tack. I think those are on deck for this weekend’s brekkie!

7 Molly September 18, 2009 at 5:39 pm

aw I hope everything goes okay with your grandma…Ill for sure be keeping you and your family in my prayers! Keep the faith girl!
(and I always find the comfort of PBandJ can help lift the spirits for sure! :)

and holy cow you made my day, thanks for the shout out!!! (I just put up a new post about high school!– you’ll find it half amusing Im sure, Im suppose to be recruiting alumni for Homecoming next weekend, you in for a road trip to good old BSM? haha)
and YES in my post I mention you, Mrs. Guzman was asking about all the haps. from the alumni and asking who was getting married…and of course I mentioned you! She sends all her well wishes, and is SO excited for you and Bobby! So now you have the Red Knight faculty blessing :) haha

Keep your chin up, and sending MN love your way!

8 Kath September 18, 2009 at 6:08 pm

So sorry to hear about your grandma :(

9 balancejoyanddelicias September 18, 2009 at 6:24 pm

hope your grandma gets well soon! I’ll pray for your family! :)

10 Jenny September 18, 2009 at 6:37 pm

why is peanut butter and jelly so good together? seriously.. i can’t get over it.

my thoughts are prayers are with you and your grandma, girl <3 all my love! xo

11 verbalriot September 18, 2009 at 6:46 pm

PB & J is so classic. Honestly, there’s nothing like it. I’m yet to try that LARABAR!

Hope your grandma’s doing well <3

12 ksgoodeats September 18, 2009 at 6:49 pm

I’m loving all of the nut butter and jelly that’s going on in this post – YUM!!

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandma! I’m sending your family lots of positivity and keeping you in my thoughts.

13 Karla September 18, 2009 at 7:05 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Jenn!

14 Karla September 19, 2009 at 8:43 pm

PS: I thought of your post when I read this…

20,664 lbs. of PB&J sandwiches!

15 Jenn (eating bender) September 21, 2009 at 7:18 pm

You’re so awesome :) I loved that story – thank you!

16 foodieinthecity September 18, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Your grandma, you and your family are all in my thoughts and prayers sweetie.

The PB&J LaraBars are seriously killing me as they pop up all around blog land. I must get some!

17 Gina September 18, 2009 at 7:21 pm

You will be in our prayers. Try to keep smiling and stay strong. We’ll be waiting for you when you get back :)

Meanwhile, keep enjoying those yummy LArabars (dried cherries as jelly?? awesome). And your oatmeal creations are super. I wish I could explain conserve vs. jelly, I’d like to know myself!

18 Maggie September 18, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Don’t worry! You’ll be in my thoughts :) I hope you’re feeling better soon.

19 JHunt September 18, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Great oatmeal creation! I haven’t tried that larabar flavor yet but it is in my pantry! Good wishes for your grandma.
-Jessica @

20 Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 18, 2009 at 8:28 pm

You know you’re in my thoughts, and here if you need ANYTHING, even just an ear or a shoulder… love you darlin :)

21 Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 18, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Oh no! I hope amazing grandma is doing well!

22 broccolihut September 18, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Aww, Jenn. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. As always, I am here for you if you need to chat!
Lovin’ the looks of that oatmeal! To be honest, the whole reason why I bought strawberry jam last week is so that I could have PBJ oats:)

23 Jessica (jesslikesithot) September 19, 2009 at 12:59 am

Hmmmm, now I know what i’m having for breakfast tomorrow!! I was JUST thinking that a bowl of ab & j oats sounded delicious. I’d go for pb & j oats, but my mom’s all out!

And sorry about your grandma Jenn! Stay positive girl. xooo

24 Lara (Thinspired) September 19, 2009 at 3:01 am

Been thinking of you since yesterday….sending positive thoughts your way <3

Looks like I need to buy some pumpkin pie spice. Seems like it was MADE for oats now that you say that. How did I not think of it before?!

25 Sarah R September 19, 2009 at 6:32 am

Thinking of your grandmother and your family. Hang in there!

26 Krista September 19, 2009 at 7:49 am

Sorry to hear you got some bad news…..take care of yourself!

27 Nicci@NiftyEats September 19, 2009 at 8:35 am

I can’t get enough of PB&J! I love stocking up on the bars too.

28 Andrea (Off Her Cork) September 19, 2009 at 8:42 am

Jenn I’m really sorry to hear about your grandma. :( One way I sort of show my “love and support” when things like that are going on, is I make foods that remind of that person. Only a foodie would do this, right? 😀 But it sort of helps me feel closer to them during the times that I can’t be there physically.

29 The Foodie Diaries September 19, 2009 at 9:07 am

Have a great weekend with your abuela :) Keeping you in my thoughts!

30 Rebeca September 19, 2009 at 9:12 am

Love you J… I’ll be praying for your grandma!

31 Coco September 19, 2009 at 9:38 am

What a delicious looking bowl of oatmeal!!!!!! I will def make that some time. I don’t know what the difference is between jam and conserve. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a conserve. I thought it was preserve. Hahah looks yummy though!

32 ashley (sweet & natural) September 19, 2009 at 10:17 am

Keeping your grandma in my thoughts. Hope everything’s ok.

Glad you enjoyed the Larabar! :-)

33 Naomi Rotstein September 19, 2009 at 10:18 am

could that bowl of oats BE any more beautiful?? i love the idea of making it pb & j since that is one of my all time favorite childhood sandwiches! (well acutally still is!)

I havent seen that LARA bar yet but I heard it was brand new and came out a little while ago! i have to find it! I love the banana bread and cherry pie ones : )

34 Heather September 19, 2009 at 11:15 am

Just wanted to tell you I’m thinking of you! So sorry about your Gram. Big hugs & lots of prayers coming your way!

ps..I have this sudden craving for PB 😉 lol

35 Brittany September 19, 2009 at 11:20 am

I hope your grandma is doing okay. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. If you need someone to chat with, know that I am here for you. (You have my email) I recently went through a tough time with the grandmother when she past last year.

Peanut butter and jelly is one of my most favorite foods so I 100% agree with this post!

36 Allison (Balance in Bites) September 19, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I’m sorry about your grandmother… I hope that everything works out alright. *hugs*

I will definitely have to try those Lara bars – I haven’t had that kind yet. =)

37 Kate September 19, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I KNOW! You’ve got to come back and visit! We have yet to have our blogger coffee date! haha Although I’d MUCH rather come to Chicago….the pb & J lara bars are SO addicting I can’t even buy them anymore! Anything pb and I go crazy….how’s the wedding planning going!? Not gonna lie it’s all my girlfriends and I have been talking a/b lately???We’ve all got boyfriends & the discussion of age/when to get married….seeing your engagement ring made me all wedding crazy haha!

38 glidingcalm September 19, 2009 at 2:52 pm

oooooooo i haven’t tried the PB & J larabar!! JEALOUS. I also would love to get my hands on some almond buttah again. Your oats look so amazing… ALWAYS.

I’m so sorry about your Grandma. I’ll be thinking of you.

39 Melissa S. September 19, 2009 at 3:38 pm

i have no idea what the differences are either. i just eat em’. haha!

40 Susan September 19, 2009 at 8:11 pm

I’m sorry to her about your grandma :( I hope you’re doing okay. PB&J sounds like a wonderful consoler though – comfort food at its finest!

41 april September 20, 2009 at 7:43 am

My goodness those oats look heavenly!

42 Alison September 20, 2009 at 10:15 am

I’m sorry about your grandma. I hope things get easier for your family soon.

PBJ oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts. I bet it’s good with AB too!

43 Erica September 20, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Sorry to hear about your grandma :( We just went through something similar…so I can totally relate. I will keep you and your grandma in my thoughts. Hooray for PB&J. Such a great classic combo!

44 eatavegan September 20, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Obviously we’re all thinking about you and your grandma and sending positive thoughts your way — hope you’re alright.
I have been following you on twitter — still love your blog and the mish mash on it!

45 rhodeygirltests September 20, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Good luck Jenn. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

46 Shannon September 21, 2009 at 1:01 pm

pea-nut, peanut butter. and jelly. :) different song, i know, but that’s what i always think of! love that larabar, and it would certainly be dangerous if i bought it in bulk!

i’ll be thinking of you and the fam hun!

47 Kristie September 21, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Peanut butter (or any nut butter for that matter) and jelly/jam/conserve (or basically anything involving fruit for that matter) is one of the greatest combos out there, hands down, no matter how you do it. Amazing.

I hope everything with your grandma is going alright. I’ll be thinking of you! Hugs!

48 Jenn (eating bender) September 21, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Thanks a million, everyone. You have to know that I get so much strength and happiness from each and every one of your comments :) I love you all!!

49 Natalie September 23, 2009 at 10:20 am

peanut butter and jelly is my all time favorite. I could eat it on everything. Sorry about your gramndma..hope everything goes ok.

50 Devan Geselle N September 24, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Why did I not know about this blog!!??
and all your food! your sushi? oats!? oh yum
I cant wait to read more!

51 Jenna May 15, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Can’t wait to try the pbj oats!!