Sausobello Egg McSpinach

by Jenn (eating bender) on September 24, 2009

Good morning, everyone.

Unfortunately, the situation with my grandma is still a roller coaster ride, with both good and bad news. Let’s just say she’s one tough cookie. I also found out that Papa Bender will be around this weekend, so I get to see him, too. It’s making me very happy to know I’ll be able to hang out with him. Thanks again for your endless support and love. It really has helped me get through some of the darkest days I’ve had in a LONG time.

I thought I would put up a breakfast post – shocking? 😯 It’s been a while since I did this, and I have to say that breakfast posts are some of my favorites. It’s the best meal of the day and you have the whole day ahead of you. It doesn’t get much more promising than that.

At the grocery store a few weeks ago, they were passing out samples of Aidells Sausage. After trying a few varieties, Bobby and I decided to take home the Portobello Mushroom Sausage. It’s described on the website as “a delicious blend of chicken and turkey, sage, and sweet caramelized onions with chunks of Portobello mushrooms, dried champignons, and the essence of king of the wild mushrooms – porcinis.” Sounds pretty fabulous, right?

Let me tell you, this sausage lives up to the hype. I heated one link up in the microwave for 1.5 minutes and it was juicy and full of flavor, with huge pieces of portobello mushrooms! They are a little on the pricey side – $5.99 for just 4 links – so I probably would not have bought them on my own (we were given a coupon from the lady who was passing out samples). But the flavor was definitely high quality!

I added my sausage to my scrambled eggs – 1 egg + 2 egg whites – and spinach combination. It made for quite the protein packed breakfast.

Unfortunately, my apartment doesn’t have the best morning light, especially on cloudy days! To get around this, I’ve been putting my plates on top of the couch with some sort of cloth overlay :) At least it’s a step up from the carpet pictures at my old abode :mrgreen: Caroline knows what I’m talkin’ bout.

And now for some morning link love…

I am so proud to announce that Eating Bender is featured on FITNESS Magazine’s Favorite Food & Nutrition Blogs! Also featured are some other awesome bloggers such as Miss Gliding Calm and Kath. Plus many more! I feel honored to be included (and, to be honest, a bit shocked!) :)

This feature has given me a little kick in the pants. If you look back at my most recent posts, you’ll notice I have somewhat lost my drive to cook new and interesting foods. It’s also been several months since I’ve baked ANYTHING. That’s going to change. I promise more creativity in the kitchen coming soon. I would love to get started on some baking projects to bring to my family during this time.

I’ve really been lagging in keeping up with some of you, and for that I apologize. I love knowing what’s going on in everyone’s life. But as you know, there is a lot going on right now.

1 glidingcalm September 24, 2009 at 6:57 am

Hurray and congrats to the Fitness Mag feature!! And thank you for emailing me about it!! I was so excited and I totally know what you mean about the “kick in the pants”.

Hurray ALSO for a fab Bender breakfast. You always make a damn good breakfast, and I have got to check out those links!! I’m all over a good sausage or dog! 😛

Love you so!

2 Mellissa September 24, 2009 at 7:06 am

Thinking about you and your family this weekend, I hope everything turns out ok!

3 Erica September 24, 2009 at 7:08 am

Beautiful breakfast! Josh would love this mix. And congrats on the feature- how VERY cool. Enjoy your time with papa

4 Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 24, 2009 at 7:10 am

HUGE-O CONGRATULATIONS!!! i LOVE that you were featured…and I’ll tell you what else I love about that article when I see you!

I’m glad to hear that there is SOME good news happening…and I’m so looking forward to our date on Wednesday! LOVE YOU!

5 VeggieGirl September 24, 2009 at 7:14 am

FREAKING major congratulations, girl!!!! They picked the best blog 😀

Stay strong, my dear – prayers with you.

6 Whitney @ Lettuce Love September 24, 2009 at 7:15 am

I used to love egg whites and spinach – one of my fav combos for sure! CONGRATS for being featured in Fitness!!!!

7 Gina September 24, 2009 at 7:20 am

Oh wow, congrats!! That is such an amazing accomplishment, good for you.

The breakfast looks awesome. I am all about eggs with chunks of meat and veggies, as a very high protein, tasty, and healthy way to start the day!

8 The Foodie Diaries September 24, 2009 at 7:24 am

Congrats on fit mag chica! I’m not a sausage gal–but that portobello number sounds amazing!! Hope you’re well.. my thoughts are with you and tu abuela :) xoxo, sarah

9 Karla September 24, 2009 at 7:25 am

Hey everybody? Jenn’s a superstar!!!

So happy for you :)

PS: Don’t make this change your blog/work too much in any way you don’t want to–we love to read whatever you like to post.

Hope you have a good day!

10 Brandi September 24, 2009 at 7:27 am

congrats on the blog nod – you deserve it :)

aren’t grandmas always tough cookies? That’s one of the best things about them. I hope today is a good day.

11 Marisa (Trim The Fat) September 24, 2009 at 7:29 am

Congrats on the Fitness Mag list!!

I love the names you come up with for your food! So creative and DELISH!

12 Lara (Thinspired) September 24, 2009 at 7:30 am

The sausages sound to die for. I have never heard of a chicken and turkey blend.

Congrats on being featured in Fitness! I am not shocked at all–you deserve it :)

Sending my best healing, positive thoughts to your grandma and family xo

13 Lindsey (Mrs. LC) September 24, 2009 at 7:40 am

First of all, CONGRATS on the Fitness Mag feature!!! I was so excited for you and the other girls when I saw the link on Mara’s blog last night. :)

Also – I am so glad you get to see Papa Bender this weekend and that your grandma is one tough cookie. Hang in there!! Love ya!

14 Shannon (The Daily Balance) September 24, 2009 at 7:43 am

Been thinking about you all week….

Hang in there 😉

p.s. congrats on the fitness feature — so well-deserved 😉

15 allijag September 24, 2009 at 7:48 am

I already tweeted at ya- but another – BIG CONGRATS! Well deserved :)

16 runeatrepeat September 24, 2009 at 8:30 am

I totally seek out the best lighting in my place :) Congrats on the Fitness feature!!!

17 Steph September 24, 2009 at 8:41 am

Congrats on the magazine feature!

18 Rose September 24, 2009 at 8:42 am

Congrats, Ms. Jenn! You deserve it.

19 Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 24, 2009 at 9:14 am

Congratulations Jenn! So cool

20 Caroline September 24, 2009 at 9:47 am

Yay shout out from Fitness!
I had the same thing happen with Aidells about two months ago and got their sundried tomato links to add to some spaghetti. They were delish too!

21 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate September 24, 2009 at 10:06 am

Congrats! Your breakfast looks delish! I love when products are as good as their descriptions make them sound.

22 Jessica September 24, 2009 at 11:00 am

Congrats Jenn!!!!!! I can’t remember if i’ve said this before, but I started reading blogs around thanksgiving time last year and could not get enough of everyone’s holiday spirit, adorable pumpkin-themed meals and delicious christmas treats!! You always delivered in that department. Your blog got me craving pumpkin oats, ginger cookies and HOT COCOA! 😀

Hope you’re having a great day girl, my thoughts are with you and your family!

23 Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) September 24, 2009 at 11:01 am

Congratulations! And I just ate almost the exact same thing for breakfast, except used veggie sausage and zucchini instead of eggs. Delish!

24 janetha September 24, 2009 at 11:25 am

yum, portobello sausage sounds awesome!! congrats to you jenn! that is awesome.

25 janetha September 24, 2009 at 11:26 am

i promise i use more words than “awesome”.. i just am still a little tired 😛 xo

26 Jessica September 24, 2009 at 1:43 pm

I don’t even like sausage but your pics make that meal look very good! Congrats to you. :)

27 Rosey Rebecca September 24, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Your breakfast looks so good!! I’ll have to try that sausage!

28 Naomi September 24, 2009 at 3:45 pm

congrats! i acutally saw this on the website earlier this week! thats so great, you must be so proud :) Your blog does ROCK!

im not a huge sausage fan but that meal made my mouth certainly water!

29 Yum Yucky September 24, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Ooo. That breakfast looks greedy-good. YUM!

30 Emily September 24, 2009 at 8:43 pm

CONGRATS! THat looks delicious!

31 Erin September 24, 2009 at 9:03 pm

So proud of you for making the cut baby! Congrats :)

32 April (Foods of April) September 24, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Congrats!! That’s so awesome!

33 Michelle September 24, 2009 at 9:25 pm

I’m sorry to hear that your grandmother is still not doing well. Hope things get better soon.

34 broccolihut September 24, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Oh my goodness, congratulations, girl! You definitely deserve it:)

35 Shannon September 25, 2009 at 8:39 am

congrats on the Fitness feature! you know my thoughts are with you and the family through this tough time. it’s definitely hard going through the motions, but it’ll be good to get back in the kitchen and spread your love with baked goods! it’s the little things!

36 Sarah September 25, 2009 at 8:53 am

congrats on the fitness mag list! i actually just read the list yesterday and saw you on it. go girl!

37 luckytastebuds September 25, 2009 at 11:32 am

Congratulations on being featured on Fitness Jenn!! THAT is a huge huge deal/achievement and I’m so proud of you!!!!!! :) You totally deserve the recognition.

Um So what happened to our meet up girlie?!?!?!

38 foodieinthecity September 25, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Congrats on the Fitness magazine feature. That is amazing and you deserve it 100%.

That turkey and chicken sausage looks like something I would totally buy. Sounds and looks delish!

Keep your chin up, thoughts and prayers are still with you and your gma.

39 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) September 25, 2009 at 6:06 pm

40 Rita September 26, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Those scrambled eggs look great! I’m mostly vegetarian, but I do love sausages, and that kind sounds great!

41 carolinebee September 27, 2009 at 5:47 am

Aww yeea, gotta make it work 😀 haha I have my fair share of couch, floor and chair pictures. Congrats on making that list that is soo sweet!

42 Andrea (Off Her Cork) September 27, 2009 at 8:55 am

Congrats Jenn! Sorry I’m late, was out of the loop for most of the weekend. 😀 Hooray!!