Duck, Duck, Baby

by Jenn (eating bender) on October 13, 2009

Sorry to disappear on you after last Thursday, but Mama Bender came into town and I wanted to give her my undivided attention πŸ˜‰ We had a lot of fun, as always, and I miss her already!

Thanks to those who posted questions for my interview with Dr. Funk. I was able to get a few of them in time for the interview and now I’m just waiting for the video clip, so I should be able to post it soon! Also, for those of you whose questions I didn’t get to in time for the interview, it’s possible that she may be able to answer them in a follow-up session – I’ll keep you “posted” :)

The main event this weekend was my aunt’s baby shower! With all that has happened in the past few weeks, our family knew that this would be an enjoyable, necessary and fun event for Jenny – and best of all, it was a surprise!! [By the way, it has been a lot of fun telling people that Jenny “Last Name” is pregnant these past few months. Since we have the same last name, I’ve gotten some shocked looks!]

My mom and I drove up to Milwaukee on Saturday night and woke up bright and early on Sunday to pick up some supplies and get to the park where the shower was held. My other aunts did a great job setting up and decorating. The theme was “baby ducks” – some of you may understand why πŸ˜‰

There were several “game stations” set up around the room. The first was a guess the size of Jenny’s baby bump? game, which featured several pumpkins. We had to guess which of the pumpkins was a closest match to Jenny’s bump – I thought it was very appropriate and festive!!

There was also a Name the Baby game, where you used the letters in David (my uncle) and Jenny’s name (plus our last name) to come up with as many possible baby names as you can. Since Dave + Jenny are waiting to be surprised on the sex of the baby, we had a lot of options! There were also sheets of paper floating around the tables with Nursery Rhyme Trivia, Baby Bingo and Baby Limericks for all of the guests to fill out and play. We were entertained for hours :mrgreen:

Last but not least, there was a memory game. A collection of baby supplies were hidden under a blanket, and each person had 30 seconds to peek under the blanket before racing back to write down every item they could remember. I got 10 out of 13 – not bad, but a lot of people have better memories!

We spent the first part of the shower playing games and winning prizes. While playing, the guests were able to snack on some appetizers: turkey pinwheel sandwiches, chips, shrimp cocktail and drinks.

My favorites were the turkey pinwheels – Mama Bender and I brought them from Costco. Yum!

After we finished playing the games, it was time to eat! My aunts brought shredded beef + gravy, sloppy Joes and smoked salmon for the occasion.

We also had a delicious ramen noodle salad. It included broccoli slaw, shredded veggies and ramen noodles, all tossed in a vinaigrette made with apple cider vinegar. SO GOOD!

I helped myself to a little bit of everything and had seconds on the ramen noodle salad :)

Then it was time for CAKE! We had some festive plates for the occasion :) Here’s Jenny!

The cake itself was absolutely adorable. We got it from a local grocery store and they did a great job. The inscription reads, “Ten little fingers. Ten little toes.” Awww!

I helped myself to a nice slice that included plenty of sugary sweet icing – my favorite part.

Then it as time to open gifts!! Jenny received a lot of duck-themed clothes, towels, etc. Love it. She also received two blankets that were made by my great-grandmother, Jadwiga. I never had the chance to meet her, but these blankets she made were absolutely beautiful – one of them had a bunny (shown below) and the other had…ducks!

It was so much fun chatting with family and friends. I think everyone had a nice time and Jenny said she was definitely surprised. That’s a success in my book πŸ˜‰

I can’t wait to meet my new baby cousin in just a few weeks! I wonder if it will be a boy or a girl…

Hope you all had fabulous weekends and are enjoying the week so far. Did any of you have the day off yesterday? I didn’t, but am curious to hear how you spent the free day if you did!

1 VeggieGirl October 13, 2009 at 7:20 am

Such a cute, fun celebration! :)

2 Erica October 13, 2009 at 7:21 am

Awww the shower looks like so much fun! I love the duck theme- super cute. Glad you got to spend time with your mama. I did not have yesterday off (jealous of those who did!). But since I worked a lot of overtime this last week and our pay period is coming to an end, I get tomorrow and half of Thursday off! Hooray

3 brandi October 13, 2009 at 7:29 am

what a cute shower! The games sounded like so much fun, and I love the ducks :)

I worked yesterday, too!

4 Rose October 13, 2009 at 7:36 am

Looks like the shower was super fun! I love the theme :)

5 Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 13, 2009 at 7:42 am

What fun!!! I love most things “duckie” so that shower is right up my alley :)

6 ksgoodeats October 13, 2009 at 7:44 am

What a beautiful shower! Congrats to your family on the new addition!!

Ramen noodle salad is ridiculously good! Love that stuff! Glad you had fun with Mama Bender :)

7 MelissaNibbles October 13, 2009 at 7:57 am

Fun shower! I love the turkey wrap up. It looks like sushi!

8 megzzwinsatlife October 13, 2009 at 8:20 am

Looks like a great time!! I love baby showers!! I have a cousin “megan __my last name__” who is also pregnant and some people are like is that you… haha I am like no way !!

Family is the best to be around :-)

9 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate October 13, 2009 at 8:28 am

Sounds like a fun shower! There were so many cute details! I love it!

10 Kristie Lynn October 13, 2009 at 8:30 am

The baby shower decorations and game ideas are so cute! So did whoever guessed the correct pumpkin size get to take the pumpkin home with them? That could make a lot of pumpkin oatmeal… πŸ˜‰

No day off for me – but I did take the evening to watch the Phillies win! :)

11 Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 13, 2009 at 8:33 am

Such a cute celebration! Baby ducks — what a great idea!

12 Heather October 13, 2009 at 8:46 am

Hey chickie! Love the shower decorations! So so cute! Glad you’ve had some great times with your Mom there! Though I’m sure she wasn’t loving this cold weather!! Gah, where’d the warmth go?

Happy Tuesday :)

13 Lindsey @ Sound Eats October 13, 2009 at 9:08 am

Haha love the baby duck theme – adorable. πŸ˜‰ I’m so glad you got to have some fun time with your Momma. :) Have a great week, Jenn!

14 Erin October 13, 2009 at 9:53 am

What a cute theme! OMG I love it! My cousin had her baby yesterday! Crazy, right? The icing is my fave part too! I will dodge the cake and eat icing any day :) xox

15 Shion @ Shi's Eating October 13, 2009 at 10:08 am

I love the creative baby shower! I’ll have to file all of these ideas away for the next baby shower I plan. :)

16 Dawn (HealthySDLiving) October 13, 2009 at 10:18 am

How cute–looks like a lot of fun! I love the ducks!

17 Brittany October 13, 2009 at 10:56 am

The baby shower looked so fun and ducks are definitely a cute theme. Matching the pumpkin size to Jenny’s baby bump was the perfect game for this time of the year. I just love all the baby themed games that you get to play at baby showers.

18 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 13, 2009 at 11:11 am

What a fun time! I love the name game, I bet that was hilarious.

I did not have the day off yesterday, unfortunately. But it is Fall break so I didn’t have to go to class, woo hoo πŸ˜‰

One of my best friends has a grandma named Jadwiga, too funny!

19 Tay October 13, 2009 at 11:35 am

Awwww cute!! The turkey roller looks great – those are one of my faves!!

20 Gina October 13, 2009 at 11:41 am

Holy food!! I’d like a piece of that baby shower cake, please. Just go ahead and send it to me, want my address?? haha

21 luckytastebuds October 13, 2009 at 11:48 am

You’re back Jennnn!!! So…I’m not going to say anything except we DO need to meet up. Soon!!!

22 The Foodie Diaries October 13, 2009 at 12:38 pm

OMG I’ve had that Asian coleslaw!! I’ve been meaning to re-create it for like a year! Thank you for reminding me :)

Hope all is well chica! XO

23 carolinebee October 13, 2009 at 12:56 pm

SOO cute and fun- hha looove the duckie theme πŸ˜€ I hope all the name confusion is now cleared up haha!

24 on the rocks October 13, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Glad u back! The cake looks amazing. Now Im hungry!

25 Courtney F October 13, 2009 at 2:39 pm

How cute is the Duck theme. The games were so creative.

26 Jenny October 13, 2009 at 4:11 pm

a Jenny with the same last name – what are the chances? perhaps it’s a sign for you πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

27 Rebeca October 13, 2009 at 6:21 pm

omg LOVE the theme :)

28 broccolihut October 13, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Yay for visits from Mama Bender!
I love baby and bridal showers so much–there’s always plenty of games and food, two of my favorite things:)

29 Tina October 14, 2009 at 11:13 am

I’ve never seen a duck themed shower, that’s so cute!

30 CaSaundra October 14, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Such a cute theme for a baby shower! And that food looks great–I should make some cream cheese pinwheels soon. Perfect for on-the-go lunches πŸ˜€

31 jenngirl October 15, 2009 at 5:57 pm

What a precious shower!! I love the pumpkin/baby bump game, so cute :)

Glad you got to spend some time with Mama Bender, mother daughter time is always appreciated nowadays.