A “Toast” to Bloggers

by Jenn (eating bender) on October 23, 2009

Hi there! Happy Friday! The weekend is almost here! And apparently, I love exclamation points!

I realized this week that I’ve been using my Nature’s Pride Bread from Foodbuzz to make a lot of toasty dishes. Many of said dishes have been inspired by fellow bloggers.

The first toast goes to Rose for her endless creativity on the nut butter + jam front. Check out her House of Toast in this post. I love it. My almond butter + mixed berry jam combo never fails me.

My Coffee Cocoa is also sporting the bird mug that Rose gave me when we met last February!

My second toast goes to Meghann for introducing me to Eggs in a Basket in this post.

I loved the challenge of creating these. I used a round glass to cut a hole in the center of two pieces of bread, then toasted each slice on the stove one at a time with some olive oil. I carefully added an egg white to the center of each and waited until the bottom was completely cooked before flipping.

I couldn’t believe I could actually flip it and not have it spray everywhere, but I did it 😉

Once the other side was done, I added a slice of white cheddar cheese until it melted. This was SUCH a good breakfast for dinner! I topped the two bread circle cutouts with more almond butter + mixed berry jam. Hey, I’m just trying to be green here and use all parts of my food!

Moving on to a non-toast topic, we have…soup.

Oh wait, you thought this post had a theme to it? My bad :)

Recently the people at Dr. McDougall’s offered to send me their new collection of Ready-to-Serve Chunky Soups. Being a BIG fan of their split pea soup, I enthusiastically said yes! Little did I know that they were planning to send me the most creative free sample kit I’ve ever received.

How cool is that? In the package was a big white soup bowl, napkin, placemat and ring, and a whole box of soups. I was admittedly a little too giddy for a box of food…I’m sure you understand 😉

I decided to try out their Lentil variety last night and see how it measured up.

Each box is roughly 2 servings, doesn’t require a can opener and is very conveniently packaged. Plus, you can’t go wrong with a company who caters to health nuts: each soup is low in calories and fat, gluten free and filled with a very reasonable list of ingredients.

I ended up using the entire box for dinner and strained out a bit of the liquid to save a bit on sodium content and still get the chunkiness that I love in soup. All I had to do was put it in the microwave (covered so it doesn’t explode!) for 1.5-2 minutes, and it was ready!

This soup was GREAT! I would definitely compare it to Lentil soup that you could buy at a restaurant and it was so easy. We all know how I like quick recipes that allow me to be as “lazy” as possible! I’m looking forward to trying the other varieties and seeing how each one compares. Thanks again!

That’s all I have for you on this Friday morning. Can you believe it’s Friday already? I’m not complaining, but it does seem as though this week flew by! What are your weekend plans?

Bobby’s brother and sister-in-law are coming into town, so it will be fun to see them!

Around the Blogosphere

Enjoy your weekend!

1 Jessica October 23, 2009 at 6:57 am

I have never melted cheese on the ‘eggs in the basket,’ but that sounds incredible. I don’t have many weekend plans besides relaxing…which I can’t wait to do!

2 Erica October 23, 2009 at 6:59 am

Ow! The soups sound fantastic! I want to try them now. Enjoy your weekend- its always fun to have guests in town. I have to teach, we have a birthday party tomorrow night, football watching and ??? I’m hoping to go out to some froyo- I have a craving

3 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) October 23, 2009 at 7:06 am

I am so stoked about those soups! I hope I can get a sample but even if I don’t, I would buy those because they definitely meet my criteria and there are so many different ones to choose from…awesome! Thanks for the review :)

Happy Weekend!

4 MelissaNibbles October 23, 2009 at 7:17 am

The soups look great! I’d love to try them.
My weekend plans consist of going to a David Gray concert and meeting up with a new friend. Yay for the weekend!

5 The Foodie Diaries October 23, 2009 at 7:24 am

The soup looks great! Lentil is one of my favorites! And OMG the eggs in a basket! I need to experiment with that!

6 Julie @savvyeats October 23, 2009 at 7:27 am

I’m running my first 15K this weekend, and hopefully going to a Food and Wine show!

7 VeggieGirl October 23, 2009 at 7:30 am

Awesome tribute to fabulous bloggers :)

Weekend plans = schoolwork.

8 lindsayruns October 23, 2009 at 7:37 am

Your soup looks great! This weekend I’m going to DC to cheer on my husband in the Marine Corps Marathon, (and try my best not to pout too much that I’m not running anymore) Hope yours is great!

9 Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 23, 2009 at 7:48 am

I heart you :)
That is all… oh, and TGIF!

10 Rose October 23, 2009 at 7:48 am

Beautiful post! I gain so much inspiration from bloggers myself, and I’m so glad you gained some from my crazy toast! Wee :)

11 Lindsey @ Sound Eats October 23, 2009 at 8:16 am

Hooray for blogger inspired meals. :) I was just reminiscing the other day how many new foods and things I’ve tried since starting blogging. And I love that soup bowl by the way, the rim is gorgeous!

12 Susan October 23, 2009 at 8:18 am

I have to say, I am happy to see you did something with the rounds of toast you cut out. You have no idea how worried I was that bloggers were throwing that delicious part away 😛

13 Shari B. (FitFeat) October 23, 2009 at 8:29 am

I LOVE Eggs-in-a-Basket….! My husband introduced me to those, so making them is kind of his ‘job’ in our house! So fun to see other people do that too!!

I love the idea of the cheese on top — I’ll have to tell him to try that for our next batch!

Have a great time with your visitors! I have two cousins coming in from out of town to stay for the weekend, so I’m very excited!

14 Marisa (Trim The Fat) October 23, 2009 at 8:29 am

That soup looks delicious! I used to eat many of the McDougall soups, but these look “new and improved”!

Great job on all the toast creations. I’m loving the eggs in a basket:)

15 ksgoodeats October 23, 2009 at 8:32 am

I am LOVING all the toast combinations. Warm, crunchy carbs – what’s not to love :)

Thanks for the soup review! I share your love of quick meals so these soups sound right up my alley. How cute is the napkin and bowl they included?! Love it!

Have fun with the family this weekend! I have work, errands, and hopefully a little “me” time!

16 verbalriot October 23, 2009 at 8:50 am

Those soups do look incredible! I should look around for them.

Mmmm…toast and jam. An instant classic :)

I have some papers to write and exams to study for…and OH YEAH. SEE JAY-Z this Sunday! :)

17 Deirdre October 23, 2009 at 9:12 am

My friend is coming into town and we are seeing a play. The soup looked delicious. I love soups not in a can. They always seem to taste better.

18 Krista October 23, 2009 at 9:48 am

I haven’t made eggs in a basket in YEARS! I bet my kids would love those.

That box of soup looks very tempting indeed…..

19 Jenny October 23, 2009 at 10:15 am

as the temperatures have been dropping (and dropping fast here in CT may I add.. wah!) I have been crazing soup — so thanks for the recommendation. McDougall’s sounds McYummy :) especially with toast ;)!

20 elise October 23, 2009 at 10:43 am

oh my gosh, those eggs in a basket are SO CUTE!!! haha, i never thought of such a thing (nor do i eat eggs), but it looks so fun plated like that.

21 CaSaundra October 23, 2009 at 10:43 am

I have always been a huge toast fan! Even more so now that I make my own in my breadmachine! And great soup review–perf for winter time!

22 Heather October 23, 2009 at 10:50 am

My bridal shower is just 1 day away!!! EEEK!!!! Will be sure to dish the details :) Have a GREAT weekend, Jenn!

23 Caroline October 23, 2009 at 11:20 am

I’m so jealous you and Hangry Pants’s soup boxes! I would LOVE some soup and I think I’m going to be much to lazy this winter to make my own. I need a placemat too, for pretty food picture taking. I’m looking forward to your reviews!

24 Gena October 23, 2009 at 11:47 am

Love the idea of toasting bloggers :) And that’s a mightyfine looking bowl of soup!

25 luckytastebuds October 23, 2009 at 11:49 am

You’re so sweet Jenn!! The blog world is so lucky to have you!! A toast to you hun! I love all the different blogger inspired bread dishes you created…eggs in a basket is definitely going on my menu soon. Yay to Dr. McD’s for recognizing your love for their soups and for sending you some to try!! Perfect person to sample them cuz I totally trust your recommendations. I’m not regretting not getting that TJ’s pumpkin butter. 😉 And those meringues….are dangerous. But really really sweet!! Hope you have a fabulous weekend Jennnnn!!! <3 you!!

P.s. for our next meet up, we should try The Chicago Diner!!! :) Just a thought. hehehe

26 Jenna October 23, 2009 at 11:59 am

eggs in a blanket look great and so do those soups!

27 Whitney @ Lettuce Love October 23, 2009 at 12:26 pm

I haven’t had an egg in a basket since I was a kid. My dad is the master at those. Happy Friday!

28 brandi October 23, 2009 at 1:35 pm

ooh, those soups sound great!

Thanks Jenn :) and I love that you used the bread “holes” as the sweet toast. Great idea!

29 Rebecca_C October 23, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Wow. I am REALLY craving a PB&J now. And an egg in a basket. Those are the BEST. I’m so jealous that I can’t make it to the FB fest…between the bread and all the fun updates it sounds like its going to be awesome. Of course…I’ll be in Italy so its not all bad.

30 Mama Pea October 23, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I don’t like eggs, but I love the hole (you know the little circle). It’s like the perfect crustless little toast roundy.

31 zestycook October 23, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Jenn, I love the eggs in a basket! Very nice. Have a great weekend.

32 Melissa (Melissa Likes To Eat) October 23, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Those toasts with the egg whites look awesome! I may have to try that! Also, that soup looks amazing….what a great “free sample” package! Where can you buy those soups?

33 Melissa S. October 23, 2009 at 8:05 pm

love all the toasty experiments…and the soups! so delish looking!!!

34 broccolihut October 23, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I am a BIG fan of breakfast for dinner, and yours looks absolutely delicious!
I always end up eating the entire can/container of soup at once too, which is usually no biggie…except for the sodium content. How are the Dr. McDougall products in terms of sodium?

35 Hil October 23, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Oh, wow. I love Dr. McDougall’s freeze dried soups. I practically live on them during the summers when I have easy access to hot water. I didn’t know they made ready to serve soups…I think I could get addicted to those really easily. Can your lovely contacts tell us where to buy them?

36 glidingcalm October 24, 2009 at 3:58 pm

i totally got into SOUP this weekend. we are going on 4 times in 2 days!!

so nice to have some yummy warm foods!!

love the toasty action!

miss u Bender Bear! :)

37 Kristie October 24, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Toast used to actually be one of my favourite foods. The fact that I hardly eat it anymore BOGGLES my mind. And I am now on a mission to make eggs in a basket asap. I don’t know why I never thought to use egg WHITES in the center, of course! And jam on the holes, best of every toasty delicious world right there.

Loving the soup delivery too, wowsa. My cupboard is seriously lacking soups, I want to seek out these McDougall goods!

Hope you’re having an awesome weekend visiting with Bobby’s in-laws! :)

38 Brittany October 25, 2009 at 10:07 am

Thanks so much for the shout out lady!

I had never had eggs in a basket until I met Isaac and he made them for me. Except we call them eggs in a hole and my old roommate in college called them pop-eyes. I think there are many names for these little creations. I just love them! And I do the same thing with putting jam on the holes! :)

39 Shannon October 25, 2009 at 2:43 pm

thanks for the toast! :) i may have to try those eggs in a blanket, they look so yummy!

ps- posted my AZ recap!

40 Karla October 25, 2009 at 3:09 pm

That is a really fun kit! And the soup looks delicious.

I’m so impressed with your Egg in a basket flipping skills! Looks like an awesome breakfast for dinner meal :) (Do you call that brinner? dakfast?)

41 Rachel @ Shedding It October 26, 2009 at 8:11 am

I tried Nature’s Pride for the first time for my Foodbuzz entry and I’m completely hooked!! I will definitely be using it to try Eggs in a Basket…how have I never heard of such a thing?!

42 Tou Tou October 26, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Wow ! the soup chunky box looks really good ! I’m always suspicious of any soup comes from a box – this one make a great defense!