Go Bananas!

by Jenn (eating bender) on October 25, 2009

Another weekend has flown by, but the good news is that there is plenty to show for it by way of good food :) I went a little “bananas” yesterday after my Northwestern Wildcats came back from a 28-3 deficit to beat Indiana 29-28. But the craziness wasn’t limited to jumping up and down in my apartment – although that certainly was a big part of it. I also decided to go bananas…with bread.

While scrounging around the kitchenΒ  for ideas to use in a baking project, I realized we had a few overripe bananas that were begging to be put to work. I set aside some for future batches of banana soft serve and decided to use the rest to recreate Nicole’s Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins in bread form.

I have always wanted to try one of Nicole’s recipes and since I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand, I figured banana bread would be the perfect place to start.

To measure out the ingredients, I used this EatSmart Kitchen Scale that I received free in the mail to try and review. It’s a very basic model that displays in ounces, pounds, grams or kilograms. I’d recommend it for measuring out recipe components when you don’t want to dirty measuring cups.

I followed Nicole’s instructions, mixing the dry and wet ingredients separately, then combining.

I then added the batter to a greased baking loaf pan and topped everything with chocolate chunks.

The trickiest part of the baking process was the timing. I baked the bread at 350* for 25 minutes, but knew it would probably need more time as Nicole’s recipe called for muffins in separate cups, whereas my bread was all together in one giant pan (genius observation of the weekend).

I pulled the bread out but it wasn’t quite done, so I put it back in and kept this process up for another 15-20 minutes. It was probably in the oven for 40 minutes total, but I’d give it 35-40 to be sure based on the differences in oven temperatures. As always, you just want to make sure it’s golden on the top and that a knife can go through the middle and come out clean.

I was very pleased with the way this bread turned out! Nicole knows what she is doing and I loved the fact that it was vegan. I could not taste a difference and neither could Bobby or his brother, who was in town visiting for the weekend. This loaf is almost completely gone and it has been less than 12 hours :mrgreen:

Give it a try next time you get the craving to go bananas πŸ˜‰ Thanks, Nicole!

We paired our banana bread dessert with a very easy but not-so-vegan dinner. It’s all about balance, right? It was still healthy and delicious: Annie’s Whole Wheat Mac & Cheese tossed with grilled shrimp and edamame. Plus a glass of Two Buck Chuck per your recommendations!

The meal itself was delicious and the wine was pretty tasty, too! We let it sit out for a while after our initial sips and it really took on a better flavor with more time and exposure to open air.

We enjoyed our dinner while catching up on this week’s episode of The Office and Flash Forward. Has anyone else started watching this show? It’s a pretty interesting concept: what if the entire world blacked out for 2 minutes and 17 seconds and saw a glimpse of their life 6 months from now?

Some glimpses are heartwarming. Others have been downright scary! Still others saw nothing at all…

I’m always intrigued by story lines like these. I admire the creativity of show writers and am excited to see how this plot will unfold. If it’s anything like Lost, if will leave you confused and wanting more πŸ˜‰

Today I’ve just been tidying up a bit and doing some blog reading. Another relaxing weekend – check!

Around the Blogosphere

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

1 Nicole October 25, 2009 at 4:16 pm

I am so glad you liked it! Those banana muffins are one of my favorites :) Great idea to make it into a loaf!

2 Paige @ Running Around Normal October 25, 2009 at 4:33 pm

holy crap that bread look amazzzing!
Hope you have a great Sunday!

3 VeggieGirl October 25, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Holy yum baked goods!!

Love ‘Flash Forward.”

4 Erica October 25, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Nice- the banana bread looks fantastic! I got one of the scales and it totally rocks! I use it for all of my baking. Glad you guys had a nice weekend and that your team won- hooooray

5 balancejoyanddelicias October 25, 2009 at 4:56 pm

AMAZING loaf of goodies! πŸ˜€

6 janetha October 25, 2009 at 5:30 pm

oh my gosh, isnt that recipe the best?! i make them for my vegan friends all the time, whenever i have some blackening bananas. i love the idea of making them into a loaf!

7 CaSaundra October 25, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Banana and chocolate are a classic combo that never fails to please! This bread looks really dense and yummy :-)

8 Mama Pea October 25, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Oh my gosh, now I want wine and to watch the Office again. I think this week’s was the funniest episode yet. We’ve watched it twice. I keep rewinding to the scene of Michael and Jim in the lunchroom. It KILLS me.

9 linda October 25, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Thanks for sharing. I was not aware of Nicole’s website but it looks to be full of good recipes.

10 The Foodie Diaries October 25, 2009 at 6:06 pm

I will definitely try that banana bread recipe! You had me at the first pic; it looks divine! I’m also kind of ALWAYS in the mood for banana bread soooo… haha

11 Sara October 25, 2009 at 6:41 pm

That bread looks so great! I saw the first episode of Flash Forward and I really like it…but I haven’t been able to watch any others. Hopefully, they’ll be on hulu.com soon.

12 Jenny October 25, 2009 at 6:48 pm

I checked out flash forward the other night — freaky deaky, stuff! I have to say, I’m not sure I would like to know where I would be 6 months from now. I like the present :)

I need a food scale! I dirty up so many dishes baking up thangs… momma PB&J no gusta!

13 Jenny October 25, 2009 at 6:49 pm

p.s. definitely have the Gwen Stefani b-a-n-a-n-a-s song stuck in my head.

14 Jessica October 25, 2009 at 7:00 pm

I love your banana bread with chocolate chunks! Looks delicious!

15 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 25, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I’ve been on a banana bread and muffin making maddddness around here. I have a post up that recaps 3 of the recipes I made this week. They are all super moist. I hate dry baked (or unbaked) goods!

Enjoy that 2 buck chuck my dear :)

Food scale. Some girls have all the luck. Can I have it when you’re done? :)

16 Kristie Lynn October 25, 2009 at 7:38 pm

I thought of you when I saw the huge comeback Northwestern made – thought you would be excited :) That banana bread looks delicious!

17 Brittany October 25, 2009 at 7:45 pm

I love all things banana bread- especially when chocolate is involved. Your loaf version of Nicole’s muffins looks delicious- I can see why it’s almost gone! Bananas don’t usually last long enough around my house to have them for banana bread. I have to specifically buy them and deem them banana bread bananas if I want to make it. :)

The article about the journalism student’s grades, grading criteria, class syllabus, expense reports and e-mail messages being subpoenaed is ridiculous. I really hope they don’t allow the prosecutors to breech the journalists’ right to privacy.

18 Heather Eats Almond Butter October 25, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I’m dying over those half melted chocolate chunks in that piece of your naner bread. Yummy. Looks like it turned out great Jenn.

Love The Office, and I cannot wait for Lost. Have been watching Flash Forward, but not sure what I think about it. Definitely an interesting concept.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your weekend. :)

19 Emily October 25, 2009 at 8:20 pm

That banana bread looks delicious, Jenn! My roomie has been baking lots of pumpkin bread lately, but maybe I’ll try a loaf of banana bread to mix things up soon.

20 Felicia October 25, 2009 at 8:20 pm

I really want to watch Flash Forward! I’m going to have to hit up abc.com to watch the episodes that I have missed.

Also, that bread looks awesome. I’ve been looking for some vegan desserts to make. I’m definitely not vegan, but I’m always looking for new things to try!

21 broccolihut October 25, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Hooray for the Wildcats win! I’ve been craving mac & cheese lately, so I might just have to copy you with the Annie’s/edamame combo!

22 Marianne October 26, 2009 at 1:01 am

Your dinner sound perfect – simple, fresh flavours, and all things that I love. I’m picky about the pasta dishes I’ll eat, but I would totally go for that. Ain’t no shame in a little help from Annie’s either πŸ˜‰

23 nic October 26, 2009 at 1:49 am

This bananabread looks soo deliciouse!! I’ll have to try it soon!!
Not only because I love bananas, but also because of the fact that that this recipe comes from another Nicole!! YAY!!
Oh and I started to watch FlashForward too!!! I’m so eager to know what will happen!!!
Have a good day hun!! Hug n.

24 The Voracious Vegan October 26, 2009 at 6:52 am

I love that gorgeous loaf of banana bread! I always pair my banana bread with dark chocolate chunks, it is a match made in heaven, isn’t it? I usually make mine in 8 mini loafs but there is something so handsomely presentable about one perfectly golden large loaf….just beautiful!

25 Brandi October 26, 2009 at 7:26 am

i love banana bread with chocolate chips! That looks so good.

26 glidingcalm October 26, 2009 at 7:42 am

That banana bread looks amazing Jenn!!

Oh Smart Choices. Haha or Bob’s Best Life Diet? Whatever it is. It’s whatever we can do to make some more moolah right?

27 skinnyrunner October 26, 2009 at 7:59 am

my family loves two buck chuch. my dad was ecstatic when he found out it was only $2. i think it went up to $3 now?

28 Jenn (eating bender) October 28, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Yes it did! It’s too bad :(

29 Krista October 26, 2009 at 9:40 am

Banana bread success! I love the chocolate chunks you used…

30 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) October 26, 2009 at 10:24 am

I love banana bread! It looks great!

Hope you have a good day!

31 ksgoodeats October 26, 2009 at 11:03 am

Way to go, Wildcats! That loaf of banana bread looks incredible!! Vegan banana bread is the easiest ‘vegan’ food product to trick people with I’ve noticed. Is that evil that I trick my family? Too bad πŸ˜‰

I watched the premiere of Flash Forward but haven’t kept up with it – oops!

32 Karla October 26, 2009 at 11:48 am

Mmm, that banana bread looks bah-nanas (a la Rachel Zoe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FngN7_DXAg) πŸ˜‰

Wow, that Northwestern J-school story is outrageous! Thanks for passing along the story to us.

Have a lovely day Jenn!

33 Karla October 26, 2009 at 11:51 am

Hmm, that link doesn’t seem to be working. This should be better :)

34 Melissa (Melissa Likes To Eat) October 26, 2009 at 12:41 pm

YUMMY bread!!!! I will have to give that a shot!

35 Tina October 26, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Mmm, banana bread is my favorite…but I always leave it underbaked :)

36 Jenna October 26, 2009 at 6:16 pm

yay for bananas!

37 Shannon October 26, 2009 at 10:13 pm

haven’t caught flash forward… but that banana bread looks amazing! and i love your favor ideas :) and you’re getting married in scottsdale!! how awesome! perfect time of year, we had a great time!

38 Diana October 27, 2009 at 1:46 am

That banana bread sounds and looks so good. Now I know what to do when I have overripe bananas πŸ˜€

Yep, I’ve been watching Flash Forward. It’s pretty interesting! I loved the latest episode! :)

39 Shannon (The Daily Balance) October 27, 2009 at 8:16 am

that looks amazing! Now I’m hoping I don’t finish my bananas and they get brown extra quick this week!!

40 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) October 27, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Ahhhh so jealous of that scale! I have an old ghetto one but that kind that you can zero out when measuring ingredients for baking has to be such a better way than measuring cups.

There are few baked goods better than banana chocolate chip bread! NOM.

41 jenngirl October 27, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Looks like a pretty nice weekend :)

and that bread looks delicious!!

42 on the rocks October 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm

the chocolate chunks are a great add!

43 gina (fitnessista) October 27, 2009 at 6:47 pm

that bread looks GLORIOUS! i love that it’s vegan too and can’t wait to try it. amazing!
and hooray for all wildcats πŸ˜€
it makes me so happy when you and bobby have dinner together- you guys are too cute
have a great night!

44 lauren (athlEAT) October 27, 2009 at 9:09 pm

yum – your bread looks incredible. And thanks so much for the sweet comment about my grandpop the other day – so nice. :)

45 Emily October 28, 2009 at 6:45 am

Mmmmm…. banana bread with chocolate! I think I might have to make the muffins though – built in portion control.

46 Alisa - Frugal Foodie October 28, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Oh Jenn, that bread looks SO moist and delicious!

47 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life October 28, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Your banana bread looks fantastic!

48 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 28, 2009 at 9:49 pm

That bread looks delicious – and I just LOVE that mac and cheese!

49 Miz. October 29, 2009 at 4:12 am

come play at my domicile.
Im realizing that the child eats BETTER and more when she helps prepare the items.

Shed love to bake banana bread with you!!

50 Gena October 29, 2009 at 7:32 am

Beautiful ‘nana bread, missy!

51 Jessica (jesslikesithot) October 29, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Yum! That Banana Chocolate bread looks amazing Jenn!! Hmm how good does PUMPKIN banana chocolate bread sound right now?!?! Ahh, clearly someone’s craving something sweet πŸ˜‰