Eggs-actly

by Jenn (eating bender) on November 10, 2009

This weekend was eggs-actly the right combination of productivity and fun. I was glad to read that so many bloggers enjoyed themselves in San Francisco! Back in the Windy City, I enjoyed watching Northwestern beat Iowa (insert evil laugh), getting out in the unseasonably warm – we are talking 70 degrees in November! – weather, organizing my apartment and meeting up with old friends. Not bad for a the shortest two day stretch of the week ;)

My two friends and I met up for brunch at Lou Mitchell’s on Sunday. We all lived together in a suite my sophomore year of college and I had always heard how great this place was.

DSCN6336

Apparently they saw me coming up the street and said, “There she is! Oh wait…she’s taking a picture of the outside?” Little did they know just how many pictures I would be taking! I love it.

One of the coolest things about Lou Mitchell’s is the atmosphere. It’s very family-friendly and fun – they ring a bell and sing happy birthday, wish a couple a happy anniversary, etc. They also have a great wait staff that takes the time to talk to you about life. Annnnnd while you’re waiting in line to sit, they pass out homemade doughnut holes! I snagged one on my way to the table to enjoy while perusing the menu. They also have Milk Duds for kids to sink their teeth into ;) My mom would love it.

DSCN6337

The ultimate decision was what to order. With so much to choose from on their menus – both breakfast and lunch are served – I knew it would be a tough call. I ended up going with the Vegetarian Omelette, which came with fresh tomato, spinach, mushroom and onion. I also added in feta for a Mediterranean touch. The omelette came out in the pan with homemade potatoes on the side.

DSCN6339

As you can see in the picture above, they completely immerse the eggs in the ingredients so you get a bit of every ingredient, every time. The omelette was not too greasy and full of flavor. The potatoes were a nice complement – also not too greasy. I enjoyed both with coffee and whole wheat toast.

DSCN6338DSCN6341

The reason for the title of this post is that when I got home from breakfast and told Bobby what I ate, he said, “But tonight is omelette night!” Oops :( No worries though, because as a creature of habit, I am able to eat the same meal multiple times per day. You think I’m joking…

DSCN6343

Look familiar? Yes, it was a double dose of omelettes. In my opinion, if you’re going to eat something more than once, you may as well make it eggs, veggies and potatoes. They are all good for you (depending on your own personal stance with eggs, of course) and taste delicious.

We also enjoyed some leftover wine from the night before. On our quest to find the best cheap wine, we came across Barefoot Shiraz, which apparently earned a “gold medal” – so why not try it? The wine glass below was actually from Saturday and the stemless wine glass above is from Sunday. It definitely tasted its best when we first opened the bottle, but overall it wasn’t bad. A good, cheap choice!

DSCN6319DSCN6321

To the omelettes themselves – mine was the usual 1 egg, 2 egg white combination – we added sliced ham, cucumber, red pepper and onion. It was a glorious combination of “savory crunch” and I enjoyed every bite! I topped mine with a little ketchup (couldn’t resist) and followed my rule of putting the veggies on top so that the omelette folds much easier. It saves time and hassle.

DSCN6348

On the side we also roasted some Baby Dutch potatoes (a correction from the last time I made them and called them fingerling potatoes – Tina, you were absolutely right. Thank you for pointing it out!). Seasoned with garlic salt, pepper and Emeril’s powder, baked for 30 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered at 350* – they taste amazing, I promise you.

DSCN6351

And now, on a completely non-related egg note…

The yogurt mess.

DSCN6355

It’s BAAACCKK! It’s been a while since I had the Greek yogurt, cereal and banana combination. I had it this morning and realized it was definitely missed in my house. I topped it with some cinnamon and 1 tbsp. almond butter for an extra boost. Expect to see plenty more where this came from.

DSCN6362

This week has been absolutely crazy so far…and it’s only Tuesday! It’s just that busy life I lead, I tell ya ;) Seriously though, if I’m a bit out of the loop I apologize. I’ll jump back in as soon as possible. In the meantime, let’s wish this girl a happy early birthday (it’s not until Thursday but I’m just anticipating)! So happy that your Pilot is home again, Gina. Good timing!

Any other November babies out there? A very happy belated birthday to Mama Bender, who turned 20 – wait, how does that work? – on November 5. Young at heart and in spirit. Also, a happy birthday to all of my cousins, aunts and uncles. November is a busy birthday month in our family!

Around-the-Blogosphere

Abrazos,

4A9E156C478B84A9A9FEC56F8F3F41E6

1 Chocolate Covered Katie November 10, 2009 at 7:49 am

Hehe I see the strawberry!!
:) :)

2 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 10, 2009 at 7:55 am

I’m a November baby as well! :) I actually think YOUR homemade omelet looks better than the one you had at the restaurant!!

3 Erica November 10, 2009 at 8:00 am

Oh my gosh! That restaurant looks awesome. That is probably the best looking Vegetarian Omelette I have ever seen. Glad you enjoyed your weekend. I was THRILLED that ya’ll beat Iowa (until we lost to Ohio..blahhhhhhhh). Good luck with your busy busy week ;)

4 Abby November 10, 2009 at 8:07 am

That restaurant looks sooo awesome!! Hlad you enjoyed your weekend :) :)

5 nic November 10, 2009 at 8:09 am

I think I know what I’ll have for dinner!! :D Since we have a few spare eggs to use up!! Thanks for the inspiration! :D

Oh and I’m a November-Baby too… :D 8th! YAY for November B-days!! Have a good day! Hug n.

6 VeggieGirl November 10, 2009 at 8:18 am

Happy belated birthday to your mom and happy EARLY birthday to Gina! :-D

7 Mara @ What's For Dinner? November 10, 2009 at 8:20 am

OMG i love Lou Mitchells!!!! I think you and I should hit up some old-school Evanston fun soon and go to Clarkes and Red Mango and SOON! What do you think!?
Love the omelets!

8 Anne November 10, 2009 at 8:38 am

Lou Mitchells looks like a great place! That’s so awesome they give you homemade donut holes :) Yum, it’s been WAAYY to long since I’ve had a yogurt mess! I need to remedy that ;) Good luck with your crazy busy week!

9 The Foodie Diaries November 10, 2009 at 8:42 am

I’m so used to making my own omelets–so whenever I have them in a restaurant, they feel like such a treat! I’m with you on it being egg-okay to eat eggs multiple times a day (I wonder if I’ll ever outgrow bad puns…); I LIVED on omelets in college, and I’m still not sick of them :)

Also, I totally forgot I owe you an e-mail, chica! Are you still in honeymoon decision making mode? I’m ready to pitch if you’ve not yet decided on Italia (ESPANA, ESPANA, ESPANA!!!)

10 Kristie Lynn November 10, 2009 at 8:47 am

The potatoes from Lou Mitchells look so good – especially with the thin slicing! And congrats on the Northwestern win! Hope your Mom had a great birthday too. Mine was at the end of October, so I am almost a Nov. birthday, haha. I’m proud of the October birthday though, really :-D

11 Jessica (jesslikesithot) November 10, 2009 at 9:11 am

Gina’s birthday is on the 12th!? MINE TOO !! :)

Love the egg-tastic day Jenn. ;) Now i’m craving an omelet…with lots of avocado and salsa! My fave. And lovin’ the yogurt mess!! Aren’t they the best?! Have a good day love, xoxoxo!

12 Susan November 10, 2009 at 9:21 am

I’m a January baby, or a “dead of winter” baby ;)

Agreed, if you’re going to do something twice, it should be eggs and potatoes! Both look absolutely fab!

13 oatmeal November 10, 2009 at 9:44 am

That omlette is HUGE!
And you can never go wrong with eggs and potoatoes! Although I would probably pile on some cheese as well :D

14 brandi November 10, 2009 at 9:54 am

i was thinking about you as I watched the last 2 minutes of that game in San Fran! :) crazy.

15 Diana November 10, 2009 at 10:10 am

That yogurt mess looks so good! :)

16 Sara November 10, 2009 at 10:27 am

Yum, I love omelents! They both look delicious, as does your yogurt, cereal and banana combo. That is one of my favorite breakfasts.

17 ToKissTheCook November 10, 2009 at 10:29 am

I have never so much as heard of Lou Mitchell’s and I have been in Chicago for going on five years. AND I am an eater dating a Greek man/diner enthusiast. This sounds like a must-try for us and I will probably even replicate your order.

18 Shannon November 10, 2009 at 10:39 am

you really can’t go wrong with eggs :) i would eat them 2x/day all the time!!!

19 Stacy (Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) November 10, 2009 at 11:55 am

I think your homemade omlette looks MUCH better than the diner version! I’m just saying…maybe, you are the omlette master! : )

20 Tay November 10, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Yay for the return of yogurt messes!!

21 luckytastebuds November 10, 2009 at 12:58 pm

That’s pretty much one of my favorite combinations – yoga messes with kashi and banana!!! I’ll have to bring my boyfriend to Lou Mitchell’s!! He loves omeletes and the ones they have there would be right up his alley! We are however going to Ann Sathers this weekend becaue apparently they have THE best cinnamon rolls ever. I also saw salmon eggs benedict on the menu and…there is no way i’m not getting that! hahaha

How funny that your friends reacted that way about you taking pictures outside!! I totally did brunch at Yolk with my college friends this weekend too but didn’t bring my camera!! Doh!!! I wasn’t impressed with my traditional eggs benedict though…;P Have you been there yet? it’s kinda near you!! :)

22 Diana (Soap & Chocolate) November 10, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Whoa, I don’t know if it’s the picture or what, but your restaurant omelette looks positively formidable! I love how thick with veggies it is – that’s my kind of ratio. :)

23 foodieinthecity November 10, 2009 at 2:02 pm

There is nothing better than a Sunday brunch. And yours my friend, looks like one of the best around!

24 Whitney @ Lettuce Love November 10, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Great eats!

25 Light Delight with Tou Tou November 10, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I like the title !!! (and I pronounced it several times very loudly – just so funny:-))
can’t believe the potato can be made so delish. look at the potato side on that platter – absolutely fab. I haven’t buy potatoes for almost a year. now seems I need to stuff my fridge with them!

26 Katie November 10, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Potatoes look amazing. Totally have at the same meal for 2 days in a row 2 meals a day. When you have leftovers or good food why not just eat through it? LOL

27 jenngirl November 10, 2009 at 3:25 pm

No harm in eating the same meal twice in one day! Especially when they are as delicious and nutritious as eggs :)

My little bro’s bday is the 21st and TWO of my friends have bdays on the 24th, so November is pretty busy over here too!

28 on the rocks November 10, 2009 at 4:44 pm

both omelettes look great! also, i have had that barefoot wine a handful of times. pretty good for a great price.

29 Jenna November 10, 2009 at 7:15 pm

wow that omlet looks devine! and you can never go wrong with a good yogurt mess!!
jenna

30 Lauren November 10, 2009 at 7:54 pm

No shame in eating the same great meal twice in one day. Hey, if the food is good, why stop just once.

I love your method of placing the veggies on top of the omelett. Why haven’t I thought of that instead of getting so irrated when my omeltts turn into a big mash of veggies and scrambled eggs because I always end up overloading.

You’re so smart girl! :)

Glad things are so well right now.

31 Melissa S. November 10, 2009 at 8:34 pm

that omelet looks rock’n! and now you make me want potatoes…i have two russets and a stove i can’t use…best way to saute them? should i par boil them first? i’ m so bad w/ potatoes..hahaha!

32 Sally November 10, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Your yogurt mess looks yummy! Not to mention the donut hole.

33 BroccoliHut November 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm

What a great restaurant! Not only does the omelette look fab, but that toast also looks so hearty and delicious:)
Love the cute baby taters!

34 Marianne November 11, 2009 at 2:36 am

See, I wish I liked eggs. Such a cheap, easy to prepare protein source. Alas, I just can’t enjoy them, other than in really good quiche, or baked goods. Le sigh. Your omelettes look amazing though :)

35 Tina November 11, 2009 at 8:06 am

Haha I’m glad I could be of some help! :) Your making me crave some roasted potatoes now!

I’m also a November baby. On the 21st, I’ll be turning 18 FINALLY!! I actually have 6 relatives with birthdays in November, and plenty of friends too. Personally, I think the reason there are so many November birthdays is because it’s 9 months after February ;)

36 gina (fitnessista) November 11, 2009 at 8:51 am

ooh thank you for the shout out, friend!!!! you’re so sweet <3 i'm very happy to have my man back as well ;)
that omelet looks glorious but you know i'm scoping out the vino…
have a wonderful day!
xoxo

37 Kate November 11, 2009 at 11:28 am

I could eat eggs breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Yum. No shame there – especially when they’re in the form of omelettes! Eggs are so much cheaper than most other proteins too.

38 verbalriot November 11, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I love eggs. So easy, so versatile, so delicious :)

That restaurant looks really cute, I really want to visit Chicago sometime soon.

39 Karla November 11, 2009 at 1:37 pm

What a fun date! Can we do brunch when I come…in two months!?!

I’m a creature of habit too–I go on food kicks all the time :) Your omelette looks amazing!

November is my half birthday if that counts ;) I’m getting so old!

40 Stephanie November 11, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Those little baby potatoes adorable!! I’m the same, I could totally eat something twice in one day if it’s good.

41 Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write November 11, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I love all your eggy dishes. Looks amazing!

42 Amari November 12, 2009 at 7:12 am

After living in Chicago for 4 years I still have yet to go to Lou Mitchells! It looks amazing! The NU/Iowa game was great! My boyfriend went there so I will forever be a loyal fan, go NU!

43 Chrysta November 12, 2009 at 4:07 pm

wow…looks tasty! The yogurt mess looks so good too..might have to make myself a big mess tonight=)

44 Emily November 13, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Goodness…..that was one delicious post! :D

45 CaSaundra November 13, 2009 at 7:33 pm

My mom loves Milk Duds too! Must be a mom thing ha ha. And I could eat eggs every single meal, they’re so versatile, and TASTY!