Cheers For 6 Years!

by Jenn (eating bender) on November 17, 2009

Yesterday was one of the best Mondays I’ve had in a while – November 16 is a very special day around here. Last year, it involved a 5k for the Special Olympics. Perhaps you remember this goofy video? It just so happens that this date is the anniversary of when Bobby and I first decided to become a “couple.” Granted, it was high school back then, so take that for what it’s worth πŸ˜‰ But seriously, we’ve come a long way and six years have felt like six minutes.

Homecoming 2004 (9)JK Bobby Reception arm up_edited

The picture on the left is from homecoming our senior year of high school. The picture on the right is from Bobby’s brothers wedding during the summer before our junior year of college. Who knows what the next year will bring? It’s going to be a busy one, but I’m ready and excited :)

Happy Anniversary, Bobby!!

I was fortunate enough to come home to this last night:

He’s creative, ya gotta give him that πŸ˜‰ I loved the orange roses – such a great color for fall! Plus a delicious fruit salad with all of my favorites: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, grapes and a honeycrisp apple. I actually surprised him by coming home earlier than usual, but it looked amazing!

Gorgeous flowers and someone who is quite pleased with himself:

As if you’ve never seen what’s coming next before, we decided that the best way to celebrate would be to make our favorite “team” dinner. You know what that means…

These omelettes had all the fresh fixins: chopped mushroom, tomato, onion and red pepper with wilted spinach and a 2 egg + 1 egg white combo. As usual, they hit the spot.

Success! I’d also like to point out that I ran — completely by coincidence — 1.16 miles in 11:16. Not my fastest time because I wasn’t going for speed but I was quite pleased with this time! I realized when I got off of the treadmill that I sound a lot like Kath πŸ˜‰ I’m all about those lucky numbers, too! It’s no coincidence that we picked 10.16.10 as our wedding day.

Backing up a bit here, the work event I mentioned in my last post turned out to be a lot of fun. It was a beautiful location – the Art Institute – and Bobby’s co-workers are all very nice. We even found out that one of them worked with us over three years ago when we volunteered with autistic kids for the Special Olympics. Too cool!

For breakfast, I made a bowl of oats. But again, this was not just any bowl of oats.

Remember that secret peanut butter I found at the market? Here it is revealed!

Although I’ve tried nearly every other flavor, I never have been able to find Peanut Butter & Co.’s Mighty Maple variety — until now! This version totally lives up to the hype and tastes great over oatmeal. It’s sweeter and creamier than usual, which pairs perfectly with Coffee Cocoa :mrgreen:

For some reason, I was more tired than usual yesterday morning. Call it a case of the Mondays, but I was definitely lacking in the energy department. I decided it would be the perfect opportunity to try something that promised to make me more…awake.

Angela is not messing around with these bars. This was, in a word, perfect! She infused the bar with organic dark roast coffee, among other great ingredients such as oats, natural peanut butter and coconut. I am officially a big fan and see a very successful future!

Can’t wait to try the other one!

Speaking of baked goodies, I attempted to create my own masterpiece in the kitchen on Sunday. Remember, I said attempted. I found a recipe for Happy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies and decided to try them out. As usual, my computer took the place of a typical cookbook.

These cookies had so much promise. They were easy to make and looked pretty going in…

They looked even prettier coming out. A little squished, to be sure, but ready to eat and enjoy…

I used chocolate chunks instead of chips because when it comes to chocolate, bigger is better :) After letting them cool on the rack, I picked one of the best looking ones to sample.

The result? Ehh…I think my problem was the sugar. I substituted organic white cane sugar instead of turbinado — are some of you cringing right now? — and it produced a very gritty, crumbly taste. They aren’t bad — Bobby is still willing to eat them, which is a huge plus — but I wasn’t as happy as I was hoping to be. I can handle baked breads, but still haven’t mastered the art of the cookie!

Until next time, my crumbly friend.

Good thing Sunday’s dinner made up for it!

We combined whole wheat macaroni and cheese (Annie’s) with two huge bags of stir-fry vegetables and broccoli. There was also a bit of edamame in there with teriyaki marinade as the sauce. The result was a flavor masterpiece — have you ever tried teriyaki with macaroni cheese? It may sound strange, but I thought they complemented each other quite well. Let’s call it…CHEESIYAKI? πŸ˜‰

Humbecue, cheesiyaki…I’m sensing a new dictionary section.

Enjoy your Tuesday!

1 Lara (Thinspired) November 17, 2009 at 7:49 am

You two are so adorable! Happy Anniversary :) Matt and I have been “a couple” since high school, too, but I know how fast time flies!

Cheeseyaki has got to be the ultimate combination of two of my favorite foods. I bow to your geniusness.

2 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 17, 2009 at 7:59 am

Congrats on 6 years! I love the younger pictures of you guys – so cute! I think those cookies look pretty darn good. Too bad the consistency was off. I would probably eat them still. :)

3 Jenny November 17, 2009 at 8:13 am

high school sweethearts – I love it.. I hope Gingie and I end up like you one day :)! Have a fabulous celebration with your honey!

4 Erica November 17, 2009 at 8:13 am

So many exciting things in this post! First off – congrats on six years- that is so awesome! You guys are adorable (then and now!). What a guy- the roses are beautiful. Your cookies look yummy to me- I love using chocolate chunks instead of chips (or I use the ginormous chocolate chips). They always get rave reviews when there is more chocolate haha. Have a good day girly

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2009 at 8:17 am

Awww happy 6 years sweetie!!!! Those roses are so beautiful. :) You guys have a very similar story to Eric and I…we met when I was 17 and he was 18.

Im so happy you enjoyed the Awake bar! πŸ˜€

6 Mara @ What's For Dinner? November 17, 2009 at 8:19 am

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!!! How sweet that he surprised you with those GORGEOUS roses and fruit salad!!!
I stink at baking. It’s something about having to MEASURE ingredients instead of just winging it, and one little mess-up results in a cookie fail… that i usually end up eating anyway.

WHERE did you find Mighty Maple?! I look EVERYWHERE!!!
Love you girlie! Talk soon?

7 VeggieGirl November 17, 2009 at 8:19 am

Sorry about the cookies; but HOORAY FOR A BEAUTIFUL COUPLE AND CELEBRATION!!!!!!!!!! :)

8 Kristie Lynn November 17, 2009 at 8:23 am

Cheeseyaki? I love it! I’m glad you liked the Awake bar – I think the dark chocolate one is even better :)

You and Bobby make (and made!) quite the gorgeous couple. Happy 6 years (and a day)!

9 noodlegirl November 17, 2009 at 8:43 am

What a lovely way to spend the day together! I totally love the pictures!

10 Samantha November 17, 2009 at 8:48 am

This is my first time commenting but I am glad it is on this entry! Happy (belated) Anniversary!! I knew that the 16th was something other than my grandpa’s birthday. All of your dishes looked great, even the crumbly cookies. And I just love the “cheesiyaki” concept! So you! :)

11 Jenn (eating bender) November 19, 2009 at 2:02 pm

You’re the bestest of best friends! :)

12 Rose November 17, 2009 at 8:52 am

Wow – you guys are just babies in that first picture! I love reminiscing. Congrats on six years!

Bobby, if you’re reading – nice job on the flowers :)

13 brandi November 17, 2009 at 8:59 am

congrats on 6 years!!! That’s so exciting :)

cheesyaki – I love it.

14 Krista November 17, 2009 at 9:02 am

Happy anniversary!!!

15 ellie November 17, 2009 at 9:17 am

You guys are such a cute couple! Congrats on your anniversary πŸ˜€

Cheesiyaki? Love it!

16 MelissaNibbles November 17, 2009 at 9:37 am

Happy Anniversary! Pretty flowers :)

17 kbwood November 17, 2009 at 9:47 am

congrats on six years! yall are such an attractive coule!

18 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 17, 2009 at 9:49 am

Congrats on 6 yrs!!!!
Vegan cookies…I am such a mix of cooking but if I am doing a vegan recipe and omitting all kinds of “key ingredients” then the ingredients I do use, like sugar for instance, I use basic grocery store white sugar. There’s only so “natural” or holistic you can go before you end up with less than ideal results. Well for me at least :) But your cookies look so good, I’d happily eat them all for you!

19 Jenna November 17, 2009 at 10:12 am

Aww, happy Anniversary. There is no better way to celebrate than to make a great meal together. :)

Enjoy the roses, they are beautiful!

20 Tay November 17, 2009 at 10:19 am

Aww Happy Anniversary darling!!

21 Amy November 17, 2009 at 10:28 am

Happy anniversary, dear! I just baked a bunch of vegan cookies the other day and they do take a while to get just right. But a particularly delicious one was the Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodle. The perfect combo of spicy and sweet!

So glad we could catch up the other day at Lou Mitchells. :)

22 Jenn (eating bender) November 19, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Amy! So glad to hear from you and honored to get a comment :) I’m going to have to try that cookie recipe — it looks amazing! Thank you!

23 Shannon November 17, 2009 at 10:29 am

happy anniversary!!! love the team-omelet making :) i haven’t tried that mighty maple… yum!

24 Rachel November 17, 2009 at 10:31 am

Congrats on 6 years! Coincidentally, my boyfriend and I just celebrated 6 years on Nov. 8! Time really does fly- we went to our senior prom together too- eek!

25 taylor November 17, 2009 at 10:39 am

i get my mighty maple at walmart (;

26 Lee November 17, 2009 at 11:05 am

Happy Anniversary!!

27 Erin November 17, 2009 at 11:10 am

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JENN AND BOB-D!!!!! One of my favorite couples, easy. Fruit salad and flowers!? What a hunka man. I love it. That is so cute.

28 Chrysta November 17, 2009 at 11:10 am

aaww…so awesome! flowers are beautiful as well as that bowl of fruit! I havent tried the mighty maple …yet…is it super sweet? Im just wondering if it would be good on crackers or fruit!

29 Jenn (eating bender) November 19, 2009 at 2:06 pm

It’s not too sweet — I’d say just right. You still have the peanutty taste in there but the maple would go great on fruit!

30 Kath November 17, 2009 at 11:11 am

My wedding day was 6.2.07. Totally planned too :)

31 Lo November 17, 2009 at 11:19 am

congrats babydoll! i am so happy for you guys! looks like your anniversary night was really fun and romantic! love flowers!

32 Lindsay @ bananaandchocolate November 17, 2009 at 11:25 am

Happy (belated) Anniversary! Those roses are beautiful!

33 Stacy (Eating To Live Love Laugh Tri) November 17, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Your cookies look amazing. Sorry they didn’t turn out the way you were hoping but honestly, they look like a perfect chocolate chip cookie.

34 Karla November 17, 2009 at 12:40 pm

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Six years?!? That’s amazing and awesome. I only hope that someday I can find someone that I’m in a great relationship for that long :) (Beautiful flowers and eats by the way!)

I love your hybrid words. Or shall I say Bender-brid?

Even though I don’t eat cookies all that often at all, I love making them. Maybe I can be a cookie fairy for you and Bobby this spring? πŸ˜€

35 luckytastebuds November 17, 2009 at 12:45 pm

What an awesome post Jenn!!! I love that there’s so much in it, particularly the “look back” picture to high school. Congratulations on your anniversary!!! I’m totally a lucky numbers person too! hehehe

We have to do brunch since you seem like an omelete person! hahaha I went to Yolk and wasn’t impressed. πŸ˜›

Sorry the vegan cookies didn’t turn out the way you wanted them to, but they definitely look delicious! I agree..w.hen it comes to chocolate in cookies, the bigger the better! :) hehe

36 Jamie November 17, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Congrats!! You guys are adorable!

37 Jenna November 17, 2009 at 1:04 pm

wow all of your eats look great from the omelet to the cookies!

38 anutritionisteats November 17, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Happy Anniversary! YAY :)

39 ksgoodeats November 17, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Awww – HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! You guys are too cute and I’m so happy you have each other :)

Glad you finally tried Mighty Maple! She’s the best!! Sorry the cookies didn’t turn out very well. Boys will eat just about anything though, won’t they?! πŸ˜‰

Cheesiyaki!? I like the sounds of that! You’re a master with the mixing!

40 TorontoGirloutWest November 17, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Do you mean to tell me you’re marrying your High School sweetheart!?!? That’s too cute!!!

I on the other hand, thank God every day that I didn’t marry mine! lol We dated for eight and a half years . . . Crazy times!!!!

41 Jenn (eating bender) November 19, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Haha, now that is a story I would like to hear more about πŸ˜‰

42 MarathonVal November 17, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Congrats on your anniversary, Jenn!! You two are SO cute together!!

Did you use the dark chocolate chunks from WF… I think they come in the red package? I just tried those recently instead of the usual vegan choc chips (in the green bag) that I usually buy, and found that they were NOT as good in baked goods. They taste great but don’t melt well and just don’t seem very chocolately!

43 Jenn (eating bender) November 19, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I should correct the recipe by saying no, I did not use vegan chips. I used Nestle chunks…haha. I really do want to try using them though, so perhaps I will be on the lookout for the green bag next time!

44 jenngirl November 17, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Happy Anniversary!! You guys are such a great couple :)

I love your omelette dinners together!

45 janetha November 17, 2009 at 4:51 pm

happy anniversary!!!

46 Katie November 17, 2009 at 5:04 pm

CONGRATS ON 6 YEARS!! That is so exciting! LOL Isn’t highschool funny?

Yum I can’t find PB and Co here at all, but I’ve heard great things about that tall, dark man.

Cheeseyaki great name!

47 snackface November 17, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Awww Happy Anniversary!!! You two are so cute I just wanna squeeze ya! A-freaking-dorable.

Shooo, now I need to order some Glo bars! I have not read one negative thing about them!

Have a gorgeous week, sugar! xoxo

48 lilveggiepatch November 17, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Happy anniversary, lovebirds!!!

49 Pure2Raw Twins November 17, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I am new to your blog, though I follow you on twitter. Love the pictures of you and your man! Happy anniversary! The roses are beautiful!

50 Jenn (eating bender) November 19, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Thank you! So glad to “see” you — I’ve been a lurker on your blog and love it!

51 Light Delight with Tou Tou November 17, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I like the idea of putting the veggies on top of omelet instead of stuffing it, it makes it much easier to fold (for me …) and still, great presentation!

52 Lauren November 17, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Awww, how sweet. My hubby and I were high school sweet hearts too! :)

Congrats on 6 years. Truly awesome.

I had a major baking flop this weekend too. It was such a tragedy because mine looked amazing but tasted awful. Don’t you hate that?!?! But much like you, I had a perfect dinner to compensate. Thank goodness!

Hope you are having a great week. :)

53 Jenn (eating bender) November 19, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Thanks, Lauren! Yay for you and your hub :) And yes, baking flops are always…interesting!

54 Brittany November 17, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Congrats on 6 years!! I love that Bobby gave you roses and bowl of fresh fruit- what a sweetie.

I hate it when something I make doesn’t turn out as I had anticipated, but at least your cookies are still edible- I’ve had some doozies before! :)

55 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) November 17, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Happy Anniversary, Jenn and Bobby! Congrats!
Love the roses and fruit salad! Both are gorgeous!
And awww, what better way to celebrate than an omelette dinner! So, so cute!

56 Sally November 17, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Whoa those flowers are gorgeous! Lucky girl :) You two are a pair of cuties. Love to hear more about your wedding plans as they come up!

57 broccolihut November 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Happy anniversary, girl! I can only hope a find a keeper like Bobby some day;)
Love VegWeb recipes–I’ll have to give that cookie one a try!

58 s November 17, 2009 at 11:32 pm

congrats on 6 years!
and i love the cheesyaki idea, haha.

59 Paige (Running Around Normal) November 18, 2009 at 7:21 am

Aww..happy anniversary! You two are adorable together! I love you have a “team dinner.”
I’ve never tried the Awake Glo bar, but it sure sounds good.

60 Emily November 18, 2009 at 8:09 am

Omelets are totally my boyfriend and my “team dinner” Only we usually make two separate ones and each stuff it with our fillings of choice. Happy belated anniversary.

61 Tina November 18, 2009 at 8:22 am

You guys are so cute! Congrats on 6 years :)
I’ve been wanting to try Mighty Maple forevvverrr but can’t find it and definitely don’t want to order online!

62 Jessie (Vegan-minded) November 18, 2009 at 8:47 am

Happy Anniversary! I have tried those Happy Vegan cookies before and they didn’t turn out right for me either. I always have success with Isa’s recipe, which can here found here:
They are super easy, chewy, and delicious. Let me know if you get to try them. :)

63 Melissa S. November 18, 2009 at 10:42 am

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats my great friend!!!!

64 on the rocks November 18, 2009 at 1:21 pm

congrats! and that mighty maple looks awesome. might have to go buy some this weekend!

65 Jessica (jesslikesithot) November 18, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Hmm I just left you a comment but don’t think it went through. Sooo, sorry if there’s a repeat in here!!

Just wanted to say that you two are absolutely adorable! And Congratulations!!

Your omelets always get me craving one, and I am SO jealous of your mighty maple find!! I’ve also tried several pb & co flavors but neverr the mighty maple!! Enjoy it!! xoxox

66 Kristie November 18, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Hahaha cheesiyaki, can’t get over that one. New award winning combo you’ve come up with right there.

So SIX years!!! That’s amazing. Huge huge CONGRATS Jenn. Happy Anniversary! Bobby’s little flower/fruit treat is too sweet, literally AND thoughtfully :)

67 verbalriot November 18, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Congrats on your anniversary! That’s really fun and exciting. I LOVE that he got you the flowers AND made the fruit salad! :)

68 elise November 18, 2009 at 9:25 pm

happy anniversary. btw, i love fun number combos too :)

69 Shannon (The Daily Balance) November 19, 2009 at 8:03 am

Happy Anniversary!!!!

You guys are so adorable πŸ˜‰

70 Gena November 19, 2009 at 9:06 am

Awwww! Happy anniversary to you and Bobby!!!

71 Liz November 19, 2009 at 10:40 am

Happy anniversary Jen! You and Bobby are a super cute couple!

72 Jenn (eating bender) November 19, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Thanks for the comment, Liz! :)

73 Naomi (onefitfoodie) November 19, 2009 at 2:15 pm

congrats to you and you Bobby! you two look perfect together and those are some beatuiful roses! it pairs well with that mouth watering omelet :)

cheesiyake looks AMAZING!!!

74 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life November 19, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Happy Anniversary! 6 years is a long time!

75 glidingcalm November 20, 2009 at 3:15 pm

haha omgggggggggggggg! Bobby is such a swooner!!! I adore you two!! Seriously make my heart warm and smiley! Yes, my heart. My face too.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY happy anniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

cheesiyaki!! I LOVE IT. you never fail to make me laugh, Jennboo.

and gurl, i always make the WORST subs with my baking. Nothing is ever good, thus no recipes posted! haha

76 Rebecca_C November 20, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Congratulations. My sister married her high school sweetheart and they’ve been together for 10 years now. Wishing you much joy and good eating for many years to come!

77 Annabel @ November 21, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Aww too cute! congrats on 6 years!

78 Alisa - Frugal Foodie November 21, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Happy Anniversary!

79 Sweet and Fit November 22, 2009 at 7:57 pm

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I can’t believe it! 6 years sounds like such a long time, but i’m sure it flew by =)

80 Mary :: A Merry Life November 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Congrats on six years! You guys are adorable. πŸ˜‰

81 Marianne November 23, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Cheesiyaki eh? I don’t know how I feel about that πŸ˜‰ But I figure anything with cheese has to be decent, so I’d give it a go.

Happy Anniversary as well :)

82 Miz November 24, 2009 at 5:14 am

love the pics and have to add it only gets better.
15 years together here (!) and it truly feels like five minutes and forever (uh, in a great way).

83 Diana November 24, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Happy anniversary! You guys are so cute together! :)

84 Niki December 22, 2009 at 12:46 pm

that peanut butter with maple syrup! whhattt? awesome combination! I’ve never heard/seen it before. Definitely not in TJ or Whold Foods. Can you get it at any normal grocery store?

85 Jenn (eating bender) December 22, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Hi Niki! As far as I know, it’s not at any normal grocery store in Chicago, but I’m not sure about other places in the country. I’ve heard it’s pretty elusive! You could order it from the website, though — here’s the link: Hope that helps :)