Bride-ier Issues {An Unusual Bender Post}

by Jenn (eating bender) on April 16, 2010

Hi!! :mrgreen:

How is everyone doing? Excited for the weekend?

My sincere apologies for leaving you in the lurch this week – time has gotten away from me in April! Fortunately May looks a lot more laid back (and it’s my birthday month, so I can’t wait!) and the craziness of starting a business is **knocks on wood** starting to become more controllable. I wouldn’t trade any moment of this whole process for the world, but I have also really missed you!

Here’s where I’m at.

I’ve wanted to talk about this on the blog for a few weeks now and get some honest opinions going. Recently, I announced to you that I am training for a 10K in May. But really, there is more to the story than that. Something bigger, better and…bride-ier.

No, I promise I did not just give away my wedding dress {and no offense to Hello, Kitty fans}!

But that said, my wedding is SIX MONTHS FROM TODAY!!

Where does the time go, I ask you?!

So here’s where today’s post topic comes into play. With six months to go, I have made the decision to attend my own bridal boot camp. I’m not looking to go crazy here, but facts are facts: during the eight months at my previous job, I gained 15-20 pounds. No exaggerations. Stress had me less motivated to work out and after work happy hours didn’t help matters, either.

For Lent, I vowed to only have wine or another drink I enjoy once a week. Then, halfway through, I vowed to give it up altogether. It’s not like my habits were terrible in the first place – but one drink multiple nights a week at social events combined with eating greasier foods than normal adds up.

When all of this started last year, I went a while without really thinking too much of it. But soon my favorite pair of jeans grew too tight and my favorite winter clothes seemed to shrink every time I washed them – and it wasn’t the laundry’s fault 😉 But it was difficult to break out of the cycle when I was working late and came home exhausted and ready to eat and veg out on the couch.

Now that I’m my own boss, I have been much more diligent about setting aside time for me – and although Lent is over, I’m still committing myself to finding one night a week to enjoy that glass of wine or have a beer out with friends. I’m determined to get back into those jeans comfortably – without deprivation.

It sounds vain, doesn’t it? It sounds like I’m only in it for the way I’ll look on my wedding day. But that’s really only a small part of it. The major part is all about the way I feel. I know that on a day that I go out for a run I feel 10x happier, more energetic and productive. That’s not only good for my body and mind – that’s also good for my business, my family and my friends. No one wants to work with or be around Miss Crankypants! The emotional benefits are what motivate me – the physical benefits are just a bonus.

This is a new topic on the blog for me. Many of my readers may be surprised because I tend to keep things lighthearted and stay away from topics such as weight and diet.

So why am I telling you all of this?

I’ve decided that starting in May, I’m going to try to go back to the food journal style of blogging. It really helped put what I eat in perspective when I first started my blog and also motivated me to step outside the box and cook more creatively. My hope is to get back to that place.

I’d love to know what you think about these new goals. At the end of the day, it’s my decision, but I know that the blog world will have some interesting perspective – and I can’t wait to hear it.

Go on, I can take it :)

Happy weekend! I’m off to Madison – more details to come with some fun bloggy adventures, too!

1 Jess April 16, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I think it’s your blog and you get to write about what you want. And there’s no shame in wanting to be back to your normal size by your wedding day. It’s your wedding and you only get to do it once. Of you course you want to look and feel your best! Go for it girl!

2 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Thanks, Jess! I always appreciate your support :)

3 Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 16, 2010 at 1:10 pm

hehe i know about the adventures :)

I think its great that you’re going to do what works for you!!! Love you girl!

4 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Love you, too!

5 BroccoliHut April 16, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Great idea, Jenn! I admire your dedication–I, too, am trying to cut back on wine these days. I have been in celebration mode a little too often this semester.
I am obviously super-psyched to see some of your eats, as you always come up with such tasty creations.

6 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Thanks, Caroline! You totally deserve to be in celebration mode, by the way 😉 But I totally understand and have been there with the wine. It just tastes too darn good.

7 thedallasceliac April 16, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Looking forward to it. I loved your food journal-style posts.

8 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback!

9 brandi April 16, 2010 at 1:21 pm

You are going to be the most beautiful bride!!! :) Good for you for taking control of your health and wellbeing in prep for your wedding – the less stress, the better! And working out regularly and eating balanced will help keep everything else in balance, too.

I hope you have a fantastic weekend!!

10 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Thank you, Brandi!

11 Rose April 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Thanks for coming out and sharing this with us. I think that will certainly help you as well. I think your goals are definitely obtainable, and if food journaling helps – then more power to you, girl!

I know that I have personally found this post inspiring because I am where you were. I haven’t gained any weight, but I have lost all muscle mass, and I just feel “ugh.” So this is a nice reminder and kick-in-the-pants for me too.

12 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2010 at 10:52 pm

We shall see – it will be interesting to see if I can stick to the food journaling with how crazy my life is – ya know what I mean? :) I’m glad this post helped you, too! Hope you’re doing well, lady.

13 Erica April 16, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Hey girl! I can totally relate to feeling exhausted/run down after work and just wanting to plop! I think its wonderful that you’re making some changes to make yourself feel better. Can’t wait to read more! You sure thats not your dress 😉

14 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Thanks, Erica! You rock :) And you know what…you’re just going to have to wait and see about the dress 😉 Hahaha!

15 Lindsey @ Sound Eats April 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm

1. Oh man, I am so bummed, I thought that was your wedding dress!! 😉

2. I still love you and think everything you’re doing with your business is incredibly amazing and inspiring.

3. I am right there with you (except the weight that I need to lose is a lot more than 10-15 lbs). Our blogs are very personal and they change as they reflect what’s going on in our current situations. I’ll look forward to whatever you chose to blog in the future, and also – if you want to chat/ vent/ share ideas and successes/ whatever about weight loss/ life, you know where to hit me up. I’m right there with ya! :)

16 Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2010 at 10:54 pm

1. There’s still time…haha!

2. I love you back! You are an inspiration to me in so many ways and I truly value our friendship.

3. We shall definitely be chatting/venting/sharing ideas in the coming months. I love your philosophy and Julie and I were talking you up when we met on Saturday! Can’t wait to motivate each other to achieve our goals of living life to the fullest!

17 John April 16, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Take it from me, whatever the reason it’s better to tackle it at 15-20lbs then where I started from 150! You sound like you got a good plan of attack going.

18 Julie @savvyeats April 16, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I totally hear you. I would love to lose 5-10 pounds before the wedding, except I only have six weeks left! We’ll talk at our sleepover! :)

19 RhodeyGirl April 16, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Of course you need to do what it takes to FEEL good, that is number one. However, I also see nothing wrong with being a little bit vain in preparation for your wedding day!!!! At least… that’s how I rationalized all those manis and pedis in the months leading up to mine!

20 Jenny April 16, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Have a great weekend! I’m sure you’ll look absolutely beautiful on your wedding day!

21 thewhatkateateblog April 16, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Im excited for you to go back to full on blogging what you eat. Ive been thinking lately of not blogging what I eat for a chance, but I do think it keeps me accountable. We shall see where our blogs take us, eh? Im jealous your in Madison, I love it there! – Ill have to come to Chicago for a meet up soon (I live in Iowa City).

22 Kristina April 16, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I love your food journal style !!

23 eatavegan April 17, 2010 at 7:07 am

I’m with them ^ ! It’s your blog, and no matter what you blog about, you always bring us a very balanced, healthy point of view. Excited to see this next step in your journey!

24 Jessica @ How Sweet April 17, 2010 at 7:37 am

Really looking forward to this, girl! Can’t wait to follow along with you!

25 adrienmelaine April 17, 2010 at 8:13 am

I love this- I think it’s great that you want to go back to where you’re comfortable- only you will know what that looks like- I think you have a great head on top of your shoulders and will be able to get back on track without it being a major sacrifice. Good luck, have fun!

26 livelaughloveandrun April 17, 2010 at 8:40 am

This is your blog… you can write about whatever you want, and people will still read! Good luck!!

27 The Foodie Diaries April 17, 2010 at 8:51 am

you are fabulous, guapa. ain’t no shame in doing what you need to do for YOURSELF. especially when you’re committed to not driving yourself crazy in the process. i just had an interesante idea–slash we haven’t chatted in far too long–so i’m off e-mail you. MUCHO AMOR

28 Amanda Merrill April 17, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I think it’s great that you’re being honest and using your blog to help you be your best, and probably motivate others! We all have times when life gets a little hectic and things – often healthy habits – fall by the wayside. You deserve to feel your absolute best on your wedding day, so go girl!!

29 Kelli April 17, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I also gained about 15 pounds a couple of years ago and while the last 10 were definitely lifestyle-related and went away once I improved my health, there were 5 that lingered simply due to early 20s body changes and without them, I look TOO skinny. Point is, don’t stress too much about the numbers on the scale or on the jeans tag! Also, good luck w/bootcamp–I just enrolled in something called “Booty Camp” and am mildly embarrassed about it (that NAME!). Cheers!

30 Brittany April 17, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I think you should do whatever works best for you and if that is bloggin your daily eats than that’s awesome. I’ll be excited to see/read what you are eating now days because as you know, I’m trying to get back into the healthy eating swing of things too.

And, there must be something going on because my dryer is shrinking things as well. haha :)

Let’s chat soon my lady!

31 Lauren @ One Day at a Time April 17, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Haha love that wedding dress. I think its perfect!

You should use your blog to write about whatever you want and do what is best for you. If that means food journaling, go for it.

32 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) April 17, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I think you should do what you feel is best, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting to lose a few pounds – to get back to your normal size before your wedding. :-)

33 Angela @ A Healthy Fit April 17, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Great goals Jenn. Do what makes you feel good!!! I’m a May baby too!

34 Katherine: What About Summer? April 17, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I love wedding plans! I think the whole thing is so romantic!
(glad you’re not doing hello kitty)

35 Sweet and Fit April 17, 2010 at 9:31 pm

i’m excited to see you food journal/blog – I don’t think fitting back into your jeans comfortably on ur wedding day is vain at all, I completely understand how you feel. =)

36 s April 18, 2010 at 1:42 am

I’m pretty excited about your journalling. I started reading when you were journaling and it gave me lots of meal ideas.
lol @ that dress. hello kitty is cute but I’m not sure I could ever wear it, haha.

37 Candace April 19, 2010 at 2:05 am

Hi Jenn first time i’ve stopped by your blog, but i understand what you mean about how a few drinks during the week with friends can start to add up. I just started a blog myself and am doing the food journal thing, and it is amazing when you start to see what you eat everyday. If your intent is to loose weight before your wedding day it may be a good place to start.
P.S LOVE the hello kitty dress!

Check out my blog

38 jennifer @ take the day off April 19, 2010 at 7:21 am

Your wedding is a big day and you will be beautiful no matter what, but I understand where you are coming from. I support you doing whatever you need to do to get where you want to be. It is too bad that wine and appetizers add up! If a food diary style worked for you in the beginning, then by all means so what you gotta do! It seems like a pretty popular format in the blog world, so you will be in good company.

39 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) April 19, 2010 at 7:31 am

Good luck! Excited to see your awesome food posts!

40 dyan f. April 19, 2010 at 9:35 am

Best of luck with this! I fell into the same cycle of stress-inactivity-happy hours at my old job, and since leaving I’ve found that I’m gradually falling back into a healthier routine. I certainly can’t blame my devolution into laziness on my old job, but it was kind of an eye-opener how drastically my attitude changed once I left, and the positive side effects that I’ve been noticing as a result. I’m glad that you’re willing to write about what you’re doing, and I’m excited to read more!

41 Andrea (Off Her Cork) April 19, 2010 at 10:48 am

I had an interesting talk with a friend the other day about exercise and starting your day that way. I run and he does a few other things and we both do them first thing in the morning. I never realized I thought along these lines until he said it out-loud and put it in perspective. He said, “I would rather start the day off doing something I *want* to do and something I *like* doing instead of something I *have* to do.”

Makes sense right? Even if you love your job, jumping out of bed to work isn’t really appealing. Starting the day off with something you want to do and that benefits you sort of changes the way you approach the rest of the day. Starting the day happy makes such a huge difference!

42 Katherine April 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I can totally relate. When things get too busy, I put myself in the background when really I should be taking care of my needs. It feels good to be good to your body… It’s not vain at all – Feeling your best on your wedding day is important! You’ll be beautiful! I wish you luck girl! I can’t wait to see more food posts!! :)

Take care,

43 Danielle April 19, 2010 at 5:14 pm

You mean you want to feel spectacular on your wedding day?! You crazy girl 😉

I have no doubts that you’re going to be the most beautiful bride but it’s all about how you feel, and if that means working a little harder at that healthy lifestyle thing to prepare for it, I’m all for it! Looking forward to hearing about your training and seeing your yummy food again.

44 Danica April 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I think your new goals are AWESOME…you seem passionate about them and that is what it is going to take to get and keep you going. Ultimately you have to put yourself first and then think of the blog…so if it helps you, then, do it 😀

Good luck – I can’t wait to follow along :)

45 Maggie May 2, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I think it’s great you are being open about this. I gained about 8-10 pounds when I started working this winter and I’m not too happy with it – and my wedding is in JULY!! Eek. I’m doing my own bridal boot camp in the form of some yoga and healthy eating. We can do it!!