I’m About to Go Insane

by Jenn (eating bender) on May 26, 2010

I’ve been a fan of Beachbody for a while now. I received P90X as a gift a year and a half ago and have completed the full program once, along with several attempts at doing it again (not always making it the full 90 days) and regular doses of some of my most favorite workouts from the program.

Call it lack of motivation or willpower, but something about the full 90 days has prevented me from completing it more than once. It’s mostly because life gets in the way – various trips lead to taking a few days off here and there. Before you can say, “bring it,” I’ve found an excuse not to finish.

I know that’s not the way to view my fitness goals. If I really want to get serious about looking and feeling my best on my wedding day in October, I need to cut the crap – both in eating and excuse making – and get serious about creating a plan that is as results-oriented as it is realistic. I want this short-term plan to be the first step toward positive, long-term change in my fitness mentality.

Which is why, after chatting with Bobby, reading reviews from ridiculously fabulous bloggers like Gina and receiving a fantastic birthday present, I’ve decided to go insane.

You know, like, Shaun T. insane.

I am now the proud owner of the Insanity workout.

I am ready to “dig deeper” than I ever thought possible and be tested both physically and mentally. I’ve only just started, but for now I can tell you what attracted me to Insanity:

• Insanity is 60 days long. There’s something about the shorter time commitment that really appeals to me. It basically comes down to my need for variety and the fact that life happens. I’ve been able to carve out 60 days of little travel and I really can visualize the experience from start to finish.
  • Insanity is just you and your body. No weights or fancy gym equipment required. I can’t think of a better way to get to know my body than by using my own strength to push myself. Plus, you can take the workouts with you anywhere without having to pack a suitcase full of gear.
  • Insanity has a wonderful motivator in Shaun T. I’ve bought some of his Hip Hop Abs DVDs in the past and they are so much fun! He has the charisma and enthusiasm to make you want to work out harder. Plus, just look at those ABS!

I am looking forward to starting this journey and having all of you to hold me accountable. Expect several video reviews, workout logs and progress charts to come in the next two months. The program officially kicks off for me this Sunday – and Bobby will be doing it with me! I’m really excited.

I’m also happy to share that I will be returning to Arizona again for the long weekend! My brother is ending school and since we do have the extra day on Monday, I figured it would be the perfect time. Plus, there is still so much wedding planning that needs to be done.

There will be some giveaways, fun interviews and new recipes to share the rest of this week. Remember when I was going to get back into documenting more of my daily meals? That is still in the works – I just have to re-subscribe to the habit of taking more pictures :)

I’ve been reading through some of my old posts and have realized just how much I miss sharing the day-to-day adventures with you. I can’t promise that I will be able to post in that format every single day – I’m nothing if not spontaneous when it comes to writing these days – but I do hope to get back into the Eating Bender groove.

As the sidebar shows, this blog was created as a place to “share tips and advice on how to balance a hectic schedule while maintaining health, wellness and, most importantly, sanity!”

I feel as though I’ve been missing that balance lately. It’s time to get back on track. I honestly believe that after much hemming and hawing, I’ve reached a new Healthy Tipping Point. More to come.

Side note: The hilarity of me realizing the need to get back on track toward maintaining my health, wellness and sanity when I’m about to start a workout that bears the name Insanity is not lost on me!

1 chau May 26, 2010 at 12:48 pm

bf and i are interested come august 2010 in p90x. do you have before and after pics after 1 trial of the p90x?

2 Heather @ Side of Sneakers May 26, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I can’t wait to hear what you think after you’ve done more of it! My friend & her husband are 30 days in and look AWESOME!! I didn’t love the Hip Hop Abs though, so I’m not sure…

3 Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I love you :)
I can’t believe you’re doing insanity…it looks ridiculous to me!!! But then again, it would probably kill me!

4 Erica May 26, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I’ve heard so many good things about insanity- can’t wait to hear what you think. Have fun in AZ!! I think should perm relocate…but thats just me πŸ˜‰

5 adrienmelaine May 26, 2010 at 1:05 pm

So excited to be hearing about this adventure! You go first and maybe I’ll try after.. haha Have fun in Arizona!

6 braingutshands May 26, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Sounds INSANE! Can’t wait to hear about how it goes.

7 Karla May 26, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Thank you for sharing that picture Jenn! Shaun sure is buff πŸ˜‰ Maybe I need to invest in some Insanity action so I can get a bit of that muscle up in here? Hehe…

I’m looking forward to seeing your posts in the coming week(s) and hope you have a blast at home this weekend!

8 Marianne May 26, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I am now intrigued by this Insanity workout, because anything that involves NO gym equipment is a good thing. It’s not that I don’t like going to the gym, because I do, but sometimes you can’t get the equipment you want when you are there because it’s busy, and sometimes you just want to sweat at home. I’ll have to look into it more, because it might just be worth buying.

9 Brittany May 26, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Woo-hoo lady- I fully support this insane endeavor and can’t wait to hear how it goes! Just a few days ago I looked up the price of the Insanity package on Amazon. Hopefully your review will help me figure out if it’s worth the hefty price tag. :)

10 Pure2Raw Twins May 26, 2010 at 6:03 pm

You are going to love insanity! It is a killer though πŸ˜‰ LOL> I look forward to seeing what you think of it!

11 Olga May 26, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I can’t wait to hear about your progress with Insanity! The TV commercials make it look INTENSE!

12 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 26, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Sounds like fun, in a crazy sort of way! haha Good luck with it! πŸ˜€

13 Jessie (Vegan-minded) May 26, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I totally get what you are saying about P90X. I have the dvds and I never made it past 45 days or so! I guess it was the repetition (the people started getting on my nerves after a while!) and strict schedule that caused me to lose my motivation. I still do the plyo and the yoga at least once a week since they are both awesome. I can’t wait to hear what you think about Insanity, especially after going through p90 first. Good luck!

14 Jessica @ How Sweet May 26, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I can’t wait to hear what you think. Blogworld has me intrigued!

15 BroccoliHut May 26, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Yay for another weekend at home! Can’t wait to see what next week will bring on Eating Bender:)

16 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) May 27, 2010 at 12:26 am

woohoo! I’m super intrigued by this. Can’t wait to see your results!

17 jsutera654 May 27, 2010 at 9:20 am

Good luck with Insanity – I hear great things about it, haven’t tried it myself but TOTALLY want to for the sheer, um, insanity of it πŸ˜‰ Keep us posted!! Maybe I’ll have to have you guest blog your experiences with it on my blog in the near future!

18 Jess May 27, 2010 at 9:28 am

Someone mentioned the Insanity workouts on the Fitblog chat this week. I’m really interested to hear what you have to say about them. Good luck with the program!

19 Gena May 27, 2010 at 10:44 am

Ha! You’re adorable. Way to note irony.

20 Karissa @ CardioFoodie May 27, 2010 at 11:02 am

I am in Week 2 of Insanity, and well it is “insane”. The first week I had to skip a day because my body was so exhausted, but I am only two weeks in and notice a change in my ability to do the routines! It is the biggest butt-kicking you can receive in 40 minutes and I love it!

21 John May 27, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Good luck! I’ve heard it’s good but insane :-)

22 Kelly May 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I’ve been looking at Insanity for some time. I just need to break down and buy it. I’m looking forward to your review of the program. I workout at home and love anything that uses body weight.

23 Danielle May 27, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Good for you, sweetheart! Insanity sounds scary πŸ˜‰ but I know you’re going to rock it!

24 MarathonVal May 28, 2010 at 5:54 am

Oh man… I’m definitely intrigued about Insanity, but it also sounds… well… SCARY!!! I wish I could buy one DVD at a time to try it out, but it sucks you have to spend hundreds of dollars (I think that’s what it costs, right?) since I’m not sure I would like it.. so that’s why it will be awesome to read your review! Have fun in AZ girl!

25 TorontoGirloutWest June 24, 2010 at 9:28 am

I’ve been told Insanity is like Plyo X everyday for 60 days. Dear Lord that would be hard . . .

But mega props to you! :)