If someone writes a book about Insanity, I think that’s what it should be called
My weekend at home was absolutely lovely. Time spent with my family is always, as you know, one of my favorite things to do! I went back on Wednesday last week to watch my brother’s closing ceremony. Some of you know that he attends a school for kids with autism – each year they have a performance to kick off summer that includes music, video and, in this case, dancing!
The video above is of my brother doing the South African Diski Dance. He’s the tall guy in the middle there – I can’t believe how much he towers over me now. But I am so proud of him!
Throughout the weekend, my mom and I did several brainstorms for the wedding and I started putting together the pages of our guest book. In between trips to craft and bridal stores, we enjoyed several delicious meals from Papa Bender.
Breakfast included Mickey Mouse pancakes topped with blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.
One of the pancakes also had a poached egg on top, which tasted so good with the doughy cakes!
Papa Bender also cooked up a blog favorite: fajitas!
As usual, we had all the fixins: chicken, shrimp, peppers, onions, black olives and tomatoes.
The fanciest meal of the weekend was PB’s Parmesan-Rosemary Crusted Filet. I kid you not, this melted in my mouth. He used a variety of herbs and spices such as rosemary, oregano, pepper and garlic with Parmesan cheese to really make it flavorful. Every bite had me saying, “Mm!!”
I may have had more than one piece
We drank some delicious wine with our steak called Decoy.
It was smooth, full-bodied and delicious, complementing the flavors of the filet quite perfectly.
It was good to have plenty of food for fuel this weekend as I kicked off the most insane set of workout DVDs I have come across yet.
Sunday marked my first official day of Insanity! We had to move the workouts around a bit this week because we are attending a wedding, so I did the Fit Test and Plyometrics over the holiday weekend. Today will be my fifth official day on the program and I’m very impressed so far!
I will do a more formal review at the end of the week, but wanted to share my initial thoughts with you as we get started, since I noticed in my announcement post that many of you are thinking of starting or have already started the journey along with me! That rocks!
Here’s my two cents:
- My calves and lower back muscles are killing me – in a good way! I have not been this sore after a workout in months and it feels fantastic (sounds insane, but it’s true).
- I love that the workouts are 30-45 minutes each. They are incredibly intense, but the shorter time frame (P90X runs 50 minutes to an hour) makes it seem more manageable mentally.
- It’s cool that you can do it anywhere that you have a functional DVD player. Bobby has been doing some of his Insanity workouts outside when its nice out and we plan to continue that through the summer. It has been a little different not using weights for arm exercises, but we’ll see how it goes!
- You can do it in a tiny apartment Pretty much all the space you’ll need is just enough room to be able to do push-ups or side-to-side jumps – at least so far!
- Shaun T is super cool and motivating! He’s also realistic and encourages people to take breaks when their form is slipping – which is very important.
I will have much more to share in the coming weeks, I’m sure. In fact, I’m off to do the fifth workout as I finish typing this post
Question: What are your new workouts for summer? I’d love to hear your routines!
Catch ya later!