Honestly, I am a big fan of Groupon. The deals may not be appealing every day, but every once and a while you come across one of your favorite restaurants or activities and it is wonderful. Or, in the case of a few weeks ago, you are able to try out a new restaurant that you’ve heard wonderful things about.
TANK Sushi is located in Lincoln Square, an area of Chicago that I do not get to explore very often, but that seems very fun and family-friendly. Bobby and I ventured there with our discount in tow and were excited to find an array of delicious maki rolls to choose from.
Honestly, I am a huge fan of salt so the fact that these edamame were loaded with it didn’t faze me in the slightest. Bring it on. A great way to start the meal.
We were delighted to order a big plate full of delicious, colorful sushi.
We tried the dragon roll, which was composed of tempura shrimp, eel, avocado, masago mayo, sweet soy sauce and sesame seeds and tasted absolutely phenomenal. Honestly, by far my favorite.
Next up was the crazy eel roll, which had avocado, cream cheese and sesame seeds topped with eel, sweet soy sauce and crushed peanuts. Another winner!
Last but not least was the California roll made up of the usual rock crab, masago, avocado, cucumber and sesame seeds. Honestly, I wish we would have been a bit more adventurous, but it’s always good to have a roll you know will taste good just in case.
The rolls were so good that we decided to order two more of the first. We thought that the first three were ordered in time for the 1/2 price special that night and that we had a bit of leftover Groupon to spare. Honestly, the only damper on the entire experience was when we later found out that you could not combine the 1/2 price special with the Groupon – very deceiving, since the menu specifically labeled what you “couldn’t” use with the Groupon and the 1/2 price maki special was not labeled as such.
In other words, we ended up spending the exact same amount had we not bought the Groupon at all.
But that’s not entirely the restaurant’s fault. Yes, the menu was deceiving but we should have realized that the Groupon said in tiny print that it couldn’t be combined with other offers. Live and learn. It was still very delicious sushi and I quite enjoyed the Lincoln Square experience.
But honestly, the Groupon I’m most excited to share with you is the one I picked up last week. The one for $25 for $75 worth of wine at Wine Insiders.
Oh yes, you read that right.
We were able to get a dozen red wines for $50 total in spending. Not bad! We decided to be more adventurous than we were with the California roll and ordered the Mystery Reds 12-pack, which came with free shipping. They all arrived in their glory yesterday.
There are five more bottles where that came from, but as some of them were duplicates, I thought I would show you a representative of each. Looking forward to reviewing them one by one on the blog.
Other honest thoughts of the week:
- I am truly excited to go to the BlogHer ’10 conference in NYC next week. Jill (my business partner) and I are honored to be leading one of the break-out sessions on Friday. It’s called “How to Make Your Passion ‘Work’ For You.” If you’re there, we’d love for you to come!
- Bobby and I are wrapping up the final week of Insanity. I can’t wait to share the final results and reviews with you. If the Fit Test is any indication, it’s been a successful journey.
- Today is Mara’s 30th birthday and I consider myself lucky to call her my friend! If you’re on Twitter, make sure to wish @imadedinner a wonderful day!
- We recently reformatted the POP! Social Media website and I would love to hear your honest opinions! The content isn’t quite finished, but the layout is my favorite part.
- August is almost here and it is going to be quite possibly the busiest month of my life. I am honestly so grateful to all of you for sticking with me through my somewhat disorganized posting schedule. One of these days, life will be less cluttered. “One of these days…”
Last but not least, I’m honestly thrilled to announce the two winners of the NAKANO giveaway:
#43 – Kate!
#6 – Lisa!
Congratulations, ladies! Please send me an email with your mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org so that I can get you your goodies as soon as possible!
An honest thanks for reading, as always. Hope you have a beautiful Thursday!
Would love to hear one of your “honest” thoughts of the day. Do tell!