Is This Your Idea Of A Yolk? {#HLS Part III}

by Jenn (eating bender) on August 17, 2010

I just couldn’t help myself with today’s post title. I think you’ll see why soon enough!

First of all, to the new readers out there who have stopped by Eating Bender these past couple of days, I say a big, sunshine-y – because I’m wearing a bright yellow shirt today – HELLO AND WELCOME! :) Feel free to shout (or turn off the CAPS button, if you prefer) in the comments section with where you are reading from. I love learning locations!

It has been a conference heavy August, so here are some blogger-centric posts for your perusal:

I’m glad you all enjoyed my recap of the HLS sessions. They truly were interesting and I learned that my blog friends are just as good at speaking as they are at writing.

Before we knew it, our day was over faster than a Polaroid picture can develop. 😉

But a very fun evening was still ahead of us. Melissa and I decided to regroup for a bit before beginning the night’s activities, so we headed to Yogen Früz (again) for some nourishment.

We both tried one of the Nü Mixes this time – mint chocolate chip!! Low fat vanilla fro yo, natural mint syrup, dark chocolate chips and dark chocolate shavings on top. Don’t mind if I do!

This tasted even better than mint chocolate chip ice cream!

After freshening up a bit, we were off to the hotel again to meet up with a very special friend and party crasher – none other than Mara! {Thanks for letting me steal some of your photos, lady.}

Look who else we ran into – Chandra, Hangry Heather and Monica! Great to see you all again.

Melissa, Mara and I then set off to do some exploring – and ended up at the ultimate destination.

I love my city. Where else can you find pure bliss with the Willis Sears Tower in the background?

Guess who else came to join us?

If you can’t tell who that beauty behind the camera is, it’s the lovely Gena! The four of us may have had a little too much fun with our camera taking around the table. 😉

We decided to satisfy our appetites by paying a visit to the Whole Foods hot and salad bars!

I got a big bowl o’ spinach topped with (clockwise from top left) tofu salad, marinated mushrooms, barbecue pulled chicken, artichokes, blue cheese, spice-rubbed tilapia and agave. Delish!

I also snagged two rice paper shrimp rolls from the sushi bar. Loved the peanut sauce they came with.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves while chatting about the day’s events, blogging and life in general. At the end of the meal, I connected with Kristie and she joined us to head over to our next adventure. Before we left, we snagged a group picture! {L to R: Kristie, Melissa, Gena, me and Mara.}

I promise the armored truck in the back was not for us – although Whole Foods deliciousness is a crime.

We ventured to Taxiland – tough on a busy Saturday night – and soon arrived at Karyn’s on Green!

This blogger get together was set up by Angela from Oh She Glows. It was wonderful to finally meet her in person. The ambiance at Karyn’s was perfect – chic, comfortable and foodie friendly!

Although I was full from my Whole Foods excursion, the drink menu was too good to resist. My choice was an enticing caipirinha, made with cabana cachaca, lime quarters and demerara. Melissa and I both ordered one and said cheers to good taste and good friends.

It was tasty, too – very light and fresh. It reminded me of a margarita. Too soon, our evening came to an end. It was so nice to chat with everyone and meet more people! I finally ran into the lovely Diana after trying to find her all day long. She snapped this group picture.

Back Row L to R: Callie, Freya, Kristie, Angela, Melissa, Mara and me.

Front Row L to R: Diana, Megan and Amy (Chicago ladies represent!)

And then we were off…to bed! :)

The next morning, Melissa and I woke up and decided to forgo the HLS run in favor of breakfast and a walk/tour of the city. I was super excited to try out a new breakfast place near where I live that I had heard great things about but didn’t realize was so close to me: Yolk.

We were seated at the bar pretty quickly for a Sunday morning. I was immediately impressed with the menu, which included everything from omelettes and frittatas to pancakes and French toast.

Eventually, my sweet tooth won over my heart and I went for the ultimate carb crazy {drool} dish: the Tour de France. It was described as a sample of their three special breads: Banana Nut topped with bananas, Sweet Orange topped with strawberries, and Lemon Poppy Seed topped with blueberries.

Is this their idea of a yolk?

I didn’t even know food could taste this good. Well, that’s a lie – but seriously. Everything about this dish had me “oohing” and “ahhing” myself into blissdom.

First, we have the Banana Nut, topped with banana slices, powdered sugar and served with peanut butter. I could taste the chopped nuts in every bite and the peanut butter was pure perfection.

Next up, the Sweet Orange bread, topped with fresh sliced strawberries and drizzled with orange sauce. This orange bread was like CAKE. So moist and oozing with citrus flavor.

But I saved the best for last, my friends. The Lemon Poppyseed almost made me faint. Topped with blueberries, it tasted every bit like the sweet, decadent muffin that bears the same name.

Big fan. I demolished the entire plate and nearly screamed for more. Were it not for me wanting to avoid embarrassing Melissa, I probably would have.

I will be back, Yolk. And next time, I will bring my French toast reinforcement.

After filling our stomachs with absolute fabulous meals, we headed out into the city I love so much.

The Bean was visited. Can you spot us in this Where’s Waldo style photo?

We wandered up and down Michigan Avenue, paid a visit to Ghirardelli for a free caramel milk chocolate sample, made our way back across the Chicago River and chatted for about three hours.

Watching Melissa take in the city made me appreciate how lucky I am to live here right now. :)

In my opinion, Chicago is a great big city to live in when you are just starting out in the “real world.” Even if it does have a wacky sense of taste in artwork.

“Eye” don’t get it. It’s supposed to be a parody of power. Perhaps you can explain?

Wonderful weekend. Wonderful friends. Wonderful to be a blogger. I so appreciated all the goodies I received as well. I’m excited to try out the fun products and coupons from the Healthy Living Summit bag, as well as this calming lavender soap from Mara, which she thought would help soothe me in the next two months, as we put the finishing touches on our wedding planning!

Thanks to everyone who helped make this weekend so incredibly special.

I’m off to respond to your comments and catch up on emails! Determined to get back on track after a busy couple of weeks. Look forward to reading some new blogs as well.

Question: What is the best breakfast you have ever had and why?

I will be back soon with the final Insanity recap I promised you!

1 Mara @ What's For Dinner? August 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Love you lady!!!! I can’t wait to see you in coming weeks and I promise: i’ll keep reminding you to relax :)

2 Jenn (eating bender) August 17, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Thank you!! I will need it :)

3 Sarah August 17, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Hello from Portland Oregon! I found the link to your blog by reading someone else’s blog about someone else’s blog (and on and on) about the Healthy Living Summit. Looks like fun and I’m enjoying reading everyone’s take on the event.

Take care,

4 Jenn (eating bender) August 17, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Hi Sarah!! I love Portland – it’s so gorgeous there. Nice to “meet” you! :)

5 leashieloo August 17, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I LOVE Yolk! Their strawberry orange juice is killer. Looks like you had tons ‘o fun at HLS, I so need to go next year!

6 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:24 am

Ooh, I will have to try that next time!! Definitely hope to see you at the HLS next year :)

7 Lauren August 17, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Oh my, that french toast looks to die for! It’s a little bit of wonderful in every bite. :)

8 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

It truly is!!

9 Monique@She's Going The Distance August 17, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I don’t even know where to begin!!!!

All that looks soooooooo amazing :) Fun times!

10 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

Thanks, Monique!!

11 elise August 17, 2010 at 8:26 pm

you all are TOO cute! i wish i couldve joined you for (some) of the HLS. i kinda have mixed feelings on the whole affair (plus im getting married in a week and no longer living on the east coast…so the timing wasnt great), but i would have lover to meet you and mara and hang out with gena again…and karyns on green looked great!

12 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:26 am

I think since you’re getting married in a week, I will let it slide this time… 😉 BlogHer Food is a week before mine and I am definitely not even going to attempt it. My mom would kick my arse! I would so love to meet you sometime though, so we must figure something out. Can’t wait to read all about your beautiful day, Elise!

13 Melissa @ TryingToHeal August 17, 2010 at 8:29 pm

ah, i was so sad to leave! i must come back and see more of the city…and you of course. oh, and get my own plate of that french toast, or those granola pancakes. :)

i miss ya! can’t wait to see you again soon enough!!!

14 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:26 am

I missssss you!

15 Pure2raw twins August 17, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Looks like a great time!! Love the name of that restaurant…YOLK!!

16 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:27 am

Me too! It’s catchy :)

17 Pearl Lee August 17, 2010 at 9:18 pm

chicago residents probably thought you were all contestants on “Next Top Model.”

18 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:27 am

You are probably the sweetest lady ever :)

19 erinbee August 17, 2010 at 9:29 pm

blueberry lemon poppyseed is probably my favorite flavor combination..EVER.

and peanut butter and chocolate arent even involved. blasphemy.

20 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:27 am

I love it, too! Now I want to make muffins.

21 Little Bookworm August 18, 2010 at 1:56 am

I think I’ve commented before – but hello from the UK. :)

Love the recap of the HLS and that breakfast sounds amazing!

22 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:28 am

Hello, hello! Thanks for stopping by as always. :) I really hope to visit the UK sometime in the next couple of years!

23 dianacheung August 18, 2010 at 5:48 am

do you do alot of blogger meet ups? I’ll be visiting Chicago again in October…you’ll probably be blissfully married by then!

24 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:31 am

I do indeed! Pretty much every time I’m in a new city or people come to visit me in Chicago, you can count on something happening. Let me know when you will be here in October – if it’s after the wedding, I would love to meet up!

25 Brittany August 18, 2010 at 5:48 am

It’s been really fun reading your conference recaps Jenn! It looks as though you had a blast. I’m still a little sad that I couldn’t make it to either the HLS or BlogHer. :/

Let’s catch up soon?!?

26 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:29 am

I wish you could have come but I know we will see each other again! Let’s definitely catch up soon – let me know when you’re free this week!

27 nic August 18, 2010 at 5:54 am

My best breakfast (had to think about this for a few minutes…) DEFINITELY my first breakfast ‘over there’ – to be exact Blueberry Pancakes with fresh blueberries and whipped cream in the Blue Horizon Hotel in Vancouver!!! WOW!! Wanna go back there right now!! Holy yum!

And about the “over there” comment… I’m from SWITZERLAND!! So…. Canada/USA is totally ‘over there’ for me!! Can’t wait to be back… Hopefully soon!!

Oh… And once again… Thanks for your inspiring Blog! Love it! And can’t wait to read all about your upcoming wedding!!

28 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:30 am

I love that you are from Switzerland! It is definitely on my “places to go” list. I’m glad you enjoyed the blueberry pancakes in Vancouver – I would love to hear what the best breakfasts are “over there” where you are. :) Thank you for the sweet comments on my blog as well. They really mean a lot to me!

29 Jess August 18, 2010 at 6:44 am

Hi from Rochester, NY! Found your blog from one person or another’s blog/twitter (don’t remember :)) Love what you do on your blog–looking forward to reading more!

30 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:35 am

Hi Jess! Thank you for the sweet comment and hello to you in Rochester!! Excited to chat :)

31 spoonandcherry August 18, 2010 at 8:26 am

Hi from Charlotte! You make me seriously want to plan a trip to Chicago. It’s funny because I lived in Minneapolis FOREVER and Chicago was so “accessible” that I never really took advantage of it. I’ve been there a few times for work and pleasures and have just had this sort of “eh, it’s no New York” feeling about it. Your pictures are starting to make me think IT’S SO MUCH BETTER THAN NEW YORK! I need a trip back to re-evaluate.

32 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:46 am

Hellooo in Charlotte! I am from Minneapolis, too! I grew up in Eden Prairie. :) I may be biased, but having gone to New York last week, I would have to agree that Chicago is SO much better! I highly recommend a trip back to re-evaluate. Let me know if you ever come and I can show you around!

33 LiveForTheRun August 18, 2010 at 9:38 am

Memories. What a fun, fun weekend. I am so jealous you enjoy that all the time.

What a fun group of ladies. Really great pics:)

34 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:50 am

Thank you! You are welcome in Chicago anytime :)

35 Erica August 18, 2010 at 10:32 am

gahhhh! So jealous. I need to go to one of these blogger events. You got to meet up with SO many of the ladies I want to meet (and I want to meet you of course. All the food looks amazing. Especially the froyo- I’m obsessed with froyo right now 😉 And that breakfast? Out of this world. Hope your week is treating you well

36 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:54 am

I SO want to meet you, too! My thoughts are that you should either come to one of the blogger events or, better yet, just stop by Chicago sometime. 😉 I am obsessed with fro yo, too. They are opening a shop right down the street and I can’t wait! Hope you are having a lovely week as well, lady!

37 BroccoliHut August 18, 2010 at 10:49 am

That Yogen Fruz concoction looks pretty amazing!
Best breakfast? I’m pretty partial to my pumpkin oat bran creations…

38 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:54 am

I’d be pretty partial to those, too, if I were you! :)

39 laurenjanen August 18, 2010 at 12:24 pm

That looks INCREIBLE! I went to a restaurant in Chicago for Mother’s Day brunch called Orange. It was amazing! They have something called the “Pancake Flight”. Similar to what you had. It was neat to try all the different flavors. Combinations you would never think of! It was quite a delicious experience! YUMMMMM!

P.S. Love love your blog! <3

40 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I’ve heard GREAT things about Orange as well! We’ll have to go there next. :) Thank you for the sweet, sweet words about the blog, too!

41 Freckled Foodie August 18, 2010 at 1:38 pm

holyyy breakfast goodness. that whole plate looks ridiculously good. gahhh. hope your time at hls was as amazing as these photos are reflecting! :)

42 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Thank you!! It was a very fun weekend, for sure. :) Hope to meet you someday as well!

43 Tracey August 18, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I love grabbing breakfast at Yolk but I don’t love how long the line is most mornings.

One of my favorite breakfast spots, not to far away from yolk, is The Bongo Room. I think they are so smart for having a coffee bar so people can grab a latte (or whatever) while they wait. If you haven’t tried it you totally should!

44 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Ooh, thanks for the tip, Tracey! I’m going to look it up on Google right now. I love the idea of having a coffee bar while you wait – that’s genius! :)

45 Sara August 18, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I wasn’t at the HLS, but I was in Chicago four years ago that weekend for my cousin’s wedding. I hadn’t been to Chicago before, and I haven’t been back, but I loved it. I have the obligatory photo under the bean! And I have a great picture on my blog of my feet after walking too many miles to get to Millenium Park because my mother wouldn’t listen to me and got us lost; turns out we were only about a mile from there to begin with, like I said!

46 Jenn (eating bender) August 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Hurray for Chicago and the Bean! I will have to look up your photo now – it’s so easy to get lost in a big city when you’re visiting! I did the same thing in New York last week! :)

47 Amy August 19, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I’m more of a silent reader, but I just wanted to comment and say that you look absolutely gorgeous in all of your pictures!

And, that nut butter looks amazing…too bad we don’t get Justin’s nut butters here in Canada.

48 Jenn (eating bender) August 20, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Aw, thank you so much Amy! What a wonderful comment to wake up to :) I hope Justin’s makes its way to Canada soon! Have a fantastic weekend!