The Birthday Boy No Longer Named Karen

by Jenn (eating bender) on September 11, 2010

This weekend we are celebrating Bobby’s 24th birthday. He officially turns 24 on Monday, September 13, but we wanted to make the most of the weekend free time and decided to start the party a little early.

If you happened to be reading this blog last year, you may remember the funny story called The Birthday Boy Named Karen. We love McCormick & Schmick’s, so last year I made a reservation way in advance and took special care to denote that it was Bobby’s birthday. They were ready for us when we arrived, but apparently, it was also Karen’s birthday, too, and she must have gotten a real shock when she saw “Happy Birthday Bobby!” on her menu. We were a bit surprised to see her, too!

Of course, I am only giving McCormick & Schmick’s a hard time. It was an easy mix-up and the food and experience is always worth it. We had a good laugh about it and the meal turned out delicious, which still made for a fun birthday celebration.

But this year, I wasn’t quite the advanced planner and made our reservation for Friday night on Thursday. I also didn’t tell them it was Bobby’s birthday until we arrived at the restaurant.

Karen must be dining on Saturday this year because look who made the menu last night!

We were very excited. 😉

Our meal began with the freshly baked sourdough bread, which always comes warmed and in large portions, perfect for two bread-hungry fiends like Bobby and me.

For my entree, I decided to go with an absolutely delectable looking Chef’s Special called the Stuffed Grilled Salmon, which was filled with artichoke, sun dried tomato and goat cheese.

In other words, it looked and tasted like absolute heaven.

The artichoke, tomato and cheese combination melted in my mouth with every bite. The flavor – oh, the flavor! :) The fish itself was grilled to that perfect, flaky consistency, and complemented the rich stuffing as if the two were made to be together. There were roasted vegetables on the side such as red onions, yellow and green squash and tomatoes. As is always true with McCormick & Schmick’s, they had the perfect balance of being marinated without being too oily.

Ah. I can still taste it now.

For Bobby’s part, he went with the Sea Scallops, which also melt in your mouth and are served over a bed of creamy risotto that instantly reminded me of what we will be serving at our wedding. Yum!

Together, we also shared a side of the Autumn Roasted Potatoes. At first, I couldn’t figure out what was on top of these potatoes but knew they tasted good. Eventually, my taste buds figured it out – horseradish! Something I never would have thought to add, but it made the flavor much stronger.

We took turns being goofy by closing our eyes and savoring the bite with a nice, “Mmm…” sound. It was a fantastic dinner that left us feeling pleasantly full – and ready for DESSERT!

Somebody was concentrating pretty hard on that candle.

Wonder what he wished for? Apparently it’s a secret. 😉 Our server brought Bobby a generous slice of blueberry cheesecake, which immediately made me start drooling. I LOVE cheesecake! But I’ve never had blueberry before and that just made it even better. We quickly cleared the plate.

I guess I kind of like taking pictures of that guy. :mrgreen:

A phenomenal meal for the birthday boy. A fantastic night in the city for the two of us!

More birthday fun to come! Today our beloved Northwestern Wildcats are playing and I promised Bobby banana bread at some point this weekend. Perhaps breakfast should be in store as well.

Question: What are you up to this weekend?

Hope you enjoy yourselves and soak up every moment with friends, family and loved ones.

And, just because today is September 11, let’s never forget.

1 Little Bookworm September 11, 2010 at 8:37 am

Happy birthday to Bobby! Sounds like you had a great meal out. :)

2 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:40 am

Thank you!

3 Astrid September 11, 2010 at 8:41 am

My birthday is on Monday, too!! So this weekend is about relaxing, baking myself a birthday cake, and maybe celebrating. But relaxing is a great way to celebrate, in my opinion.

4 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:40 am

Happy birthday, Astrid! Hope you had a marvelous weekend and got in plenty of relaxation. :)

5 Lauren September 11, 2010 at 10:05 am

Happy Birthday Bobby!! Looks like a perfect way to celebrate! :)

6 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:40 am

Hurray! Thanks, Lauren :)

7 Sarah W. September 11, 2010 at 10:52 am

my husband manages a mccormicks and I recently had scallops too but mine came with fried green tomatoes and sauteed spinach. it was AMAAAAAAAAAAAZING

glad u had a good bday there

8 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:41 am

WOW! That sounds wonderful. It truly is a great restaurant!

9 Kath (Eating for Living) September 11, 2010 at 10:57 am

Hi, I just found your blog! That foods looks really good, and especially sea scallops I’d love to try myself. (I’ve never had them so far.) Looks like you had a wonderful pre-birthday celebration!

10 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:42 am

Hi Kath! Thanks for stopping by and for the sweet comment. :) Look forward to getting to “know” you!

11 VeggieGirl September 11, 2010 at 11:22 am

HAHAHAHA I totally remember when the Karen incident took place 😀 Happy birthday to dear Bobby!

This weekend = went salsa-dancing until 2:00am again, haha.

12 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:42 am

An unforgettable experience, for sure! I love that you went salsa dancing. I promise to call soon to hear more about life!

13 Erica September 11, 2010 at 11:55 am

awwww Happy Birthday Bobby!!!!! What a great celebration 😉 And hopefully Karen had a good birthday too hehe. The food looks delicious- especially those potatoes- oh yum! This weekend is pretty free on my end and I am excited about it!

14 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:43 am

I hope Karen had a fantastic time. :) And that you had a lovely weekend, Erica!

15 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 11, 2010 at 1:57 pm

What a lovely night out. I love the personalised menu – so fun! I’ve gotta say I am a cheesecake fan and blueberry sounds amazing!! I hope Bobby had a fun birthday meal. :)

16 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:43 am

Thanks, Stacey! The blueberry cheesecake was top notch. I highly recommend it!

17 Kinsey Michaels September 11, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Happy Birthday Bobby!!
I need to try McCormick & Schmicks. All of your food looks amazing. That bread does too! Too funny about the menu mixup last year. That’s really neat though that they are able to customize them, it’s a nice touch.

18 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:44 am

Thank you, Kinsey! I agree, the menu customization is awesome!

19 Elizabeth September 11, 2010 at 7:41 pm

It’s my boyfriend’s birthday on Monday too! He turns 25! We’re going out to eat at Aruba in Fort Lauderdale tomorrow. Check out to read about.

20 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:48 am

Happy birthday to your boyfriend! I will definitely have to read up – thanks for the link and for stopping by! :)

21 Shannon September 11, 2010 at 8:32 pm

hehe, glad he made the menu this time!! and that stuffed salmon?? fabulous. i should remember that one…

22 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:44 am

Definitely add that to your list! I want to recreate it at home now. :)

23 BroccoliHut September 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Wishing Bobby the happiest of birthdays!!

24 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:45 am

Bobby thanks you, Caroline! :)

25 Melissa @ TryingToHeal September 11, 2010 at 10:41 pm

oh banana bread….tasty tasty!

glad there was no name mixup this year! and it still baffles me that you and boby are younger than me!!! i guess as of now we’re all the same age…but in 9 days… hahaha 😉

26 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:45 am

So excited for your bday, lady!

27 Marianne September 12, 2010 at 12:20 am

Happy Birthday to Bobby! I’m drooling over that scallop and risotto dish he ordered. He has good taste…obviously, since he’s marrying you 😉

28 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:46 am

Could we vote on this as the sweetest comment ever? 😉 I had a bite of it and it was definitely as amazing as it looks!

29 CaSaundra September 12, 2010 at 8:06 am

Everything looks amazing! Good entree choice too, I think I would’ve picked the same! Glad you both had a good time :-)

30 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:47 am

Thanks, CaSaundra! As always :)

31 inmytummy September 12, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Happy Birthday to Bobby! Glad he’s not Karen anymore.

32 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:48 am

Me too. 😉

33 Karla September 12, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Happy Birthday Bobby!! Looks like an absolutely lovely evening. And such a fun birthday tradition!

To answer your Q, this weekend I did some working out, some reading and some working. Hope you had a fantastic weekend my dear :)

34 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:49 am

Sounds like a fabulous weekend, indeed! Hope your week is twice as nice. :)

35 Brittany @ Eating Bird Food September 12, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Happy Birthday to Bobby!!

I just took banana bread out the oven! I had been promising Isaac some as well so I made peanut butter, chocolate chip banana bread. I have a feeling it’s going to be amazing.

Hope all is well lady! Let’s catch up soon.

36 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 12:49 am

Banana bread with peanut butter and chocolate chips? I’m in heaven! Let’s definitely catch up soon. Bobby thanks you for the birthday wishes! :)

37 Jenny September 13, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Hi Jenn! Thanks for the great post, we at McCormick & Schmick’s really appreciate it. I’d love to share this with the team of the restaurant that you dined at. Could you let me know which Chicago location you visited?

Thanks again!

38 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Hi Jenny! Of course, I’d love for you to share with the team! We went to the Chicago location on Wacker. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

39 Juliana July 25, 2013 at 11:56 pm

You should be a part of a contest for one of the most useful sites
online. I will recommend this blog!
Juliana recently posted..JulianaMy Profile