24 Reasons Why I Said Yes

by Jenn (eating bender) on September 13, 2010

Today my soon-to-be husband turns 24. I have known him since he was 16, which means that as of this moment, we have been the bestest of friends for 1/3 of his life.

That’s a good chunk of time, if you ask me. I’d like to think that I know a thing or two about him. But this past weekend, I’ve learned and remembered even more through photos, both past and present. What better way to say “I love you” and “happy birthday” than through a montage of reasons why I am walking down the aisle 33 days from now?

24 Reasons Why I Said Yes

#1: Bobby’s present day passion for donuts began at a very young age.

As a foodie, I can appreciate that look of pure bliss on his precious face. Adorable. :)

#2: Bobby’s athleticism. Hockey, soccer, tennis? He does it all – and looks good doing it.

Then (1987):

Now (2007 at Millennium Park – also, Bobby is going to tackle me for posting this picture):

Then (1998):

Now-ish (2004 – senior year of high school):

Hubba hubba.

#3: Bobby loves bears. Hey, me too! I still have my bear from when I was a baby. But Bobby loves bears so much, he even dressed like one!

#4: Bobby is Mickey to my Minnie. No, really. I used to wear Minnie Mouse shirts and Daisy Duck sunglasses when I was little. I probably even posed like this, too.

But you, dear reader, will never know, because this is my blog and today is Bobby’s day to be showcased through the ages! **Insert evil laugh here**

In all seriousness, however, those first four reasons, while legitimate, do not truly capture why I said “yes” to Bobby. Here are 20 more reasons that may shed some light.

#5: He is the most honest person I have ever known – and honesty is (almost always) refreshing.

#6: As a result of #5, he is also one of the most trustworthy people in my life.

#7: Bobby is quiet when you first meet him.*

#8: *But he has a lot to say and he chooses his words carefully, so every one of them is important.

#9: We’ve been through a lot of big life changes – graduating high school, graduating college and starting out in the real world – but have always had each other for support.

#10: Bobby even supported my crazy decision to start my own business. The day he told me he believed in our idea means more to me than he realizes.

#11: Bobby and I grew our relationship (as friends) through AIM in high school. As two shy people, I thank him for his dedication to logging on every night. In high school, where every little AIM chat was a big deal, I honestly don’t know if our relationship would be the same without it.

#12: Speaking of high school, another reason why I said yes is because Bobby gracefully handled my parents, who insisted on checking up on us every 20 minutes to make sure we weren’t making out causing trouble in the basement. Oh parents, if only you could have been a fly on the wall.**

#13: **I can say things like that now because we are getting married, right? It makes me feel mysterious. Also, Bobby, I think it is funny when you try to be mysterious.

#14: Bobby is the best brother my brother ever had. This is his trump card.

#15: My fiance embraces my quirky qualities and matches them with his own. No further explanation, but it’s wonderful to have someone who I can be completely, unabashedly myself with.

#16: Additionally, Bobby thinks I’m beautiful when I don’t wear makeup.

#17: I think Bobby is the most handsome guy in the world. [Don’t roll your eyes, you knew that had to be in here somewhere.]

#18: I am in awe constantly of how intelligent my fiance is. He has a great job that he loves and has always excelled at everything he puts his mind to. But I will always appreciate the fact that he does not know how to spell definitely. Even if he “defiantly” denies it. :)

#19: Bobby always says “Mmmm” when he thinks something tastes good. It inspires me to work on my baking skills, though I have the banana bread down pat.

#20: We both have a short list of things about the other that drive us crazy – admittedly, his might be longer than mine – but at the end of the day, I laugh happily when I think about all of them.

#21: I love the way he kisses me goodbye before going to work every morning.

#22: I’ve known about October 16, 2010 since November 16, 2003. It was just a matter of finding a spot on the calendar. The event itself was already guaranteed.

#23: I still get goosebumps when I think about the day he asked me to marry him.

#24: He gives and saves the best hugs for me. They are actually why we started dating.

From then:

To now:

I actually said yes for many more than 24 reasons…and I’m never looking back. πŸ˜‰

Happy Birthday, Bobby!

Bonus Reason: On a blog that is supposed to be about food, “Bobby” has been mentioned in 35% of my posts. That means that he has been mentioned for roughly 1/3 of this blog’s life, which ties back to the beginning of this post. I love when everything ties together that way…

Be back later with more food highlights from the birthday weekend!

1 spabettie September 13, 2010 at 1:00 am

this is so great, Jenn… as I was reading I found similarities that myself and Jason have… :)

it is SO awesome to celebrate your One True Love… and you two look so happy (and gorgeous!) together! :)

congrats to you two, and Happy Birthday, Bobby!!

2 jassy September 13, 2010 at 4:25 am

you’re both lucky to have one another–so young and so in love…nice! :)

3 Jessica @ How Sweet September 13, 2010 at 5:36 am

This is so cute! Happy birthday to Bobby!

4 Lauren September 13, 2010 at 5:36 am

Aw, Jen, this post just lit me up!! Bobby is such a lucky man and you two are going to make the most incredible husband and wife! :)

5 Erica September 13, 2010 at 6:34 am

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww (melt) – so cute. I love #8….ok, I love them all. The sweetest post ever

6 Little Bookworm September 13, 2010 at 6:37 am

Such a cute post! :)

7 CaSaundra September 13, 2010 at 6:59 am

Oh my gosh–this is such a great post! I really enjoyed reading it! It sounds like you and Bobby are going to have one fabulous marriage. I envy you both for being able to be friends for such a long time first..that can be hard nowadays; but you go to show it’s not impossible! :-) Can’t wait to hear/see about the wedding!!!

8 Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 13, 2010 at 7:39 am

This gave me goosebumps! You two are just way too cute… Bobby is lucky to have you, and you him (though I still haven’t met the guy!!)

9 Rachel September 13, 2010 at 8:55 am

This is such a sweet post!! Happy Birthday Bobby!!! :)

10 Jess September 13, 2010 at 9:16 am

What a sweet post Jenn! I hope Bobby had a great birthday!

11 Alisa September 13, 2010 at 9:40 am

Aw Jenn, that is one of the sweetest posts ever! Happy birthday to Bobby and congrats to both of you!

12 Susan Krenn September 13, 2010 at 9:54 am

What a great post! Loved it. I would definitely (defiantly? haha) rather be reading your blog than looking at resumes. :) I’m so lucky to have such an awesome sis-in-law! You’re already in the fam – can’t wait to celebrate it on the 16th! Speaking of spelling and your #18, I always laugh when I think of the day that Adam asked me how to spell ‘pizza.’ That’s right…pizza.

13 Jenn (eating bender) September 13, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Thanks, Susan! I am so lucky to have such a wonderful sis-in-law, too! Hilarious that Adam asked you to spell “pizza.” Sounds like it “defiantly” runs in the family. πŸ˜‰ See you SOON!

14 Megan (Braise The Roof) September 13, 2010 at 10:58 am

No way, Bobby and my boyfriend have the same birthday!! Such a small world. :)

15 Jenn (eating bender) September 15, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Sorry I am just responding to this, but happy belated birthday to your boyfriend! Small world, indeed :)

16 Mom September 13, 2010 at 12:46 pm

That 20 minute thing was all your father :) With my love of electronics we really didn’t need to go down there all the time…… Gotcha! jk

17 glidingcalm September 13, 2010 at 1:32 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Sweetest post ever!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

18 natalie (the sweets life) September 13, 2010 at 2:37 pm

this is so sweet-i loved reading it! so excited for you two :)

19 elise September 13, 2010 at 3:45 pm

awwwwwwwwwwwww..i love it :)

20 Brittany September 13, 2010 at 6:12 pm

This post is adorable Jenn. I loved reading all the reasons that you said yes! It sounds like you both are very lucky. :)

21 Melissa @ TryingToHeal September 13, 2010 at 7:23 pm

ah, i love this post jenn!!! you two are made to be together!!! only a short month till everything is officially official!!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkk!

22 BroccoliHut September 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Cutest. Post. Ever.

23 Shannon September 13, 2010 at 7:52 pm

sounds like you two are perfect for each other πŸ˜‰ and he’s got a great smile! (i mean, among other things, but that’s one thing i always notice!)

24 Pure2Raw Twins September 13, 2010 at 8:08 pm

You two are soooo cute together :) So happy for the both of you!

25 MarathonVal September 13, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Aww Jenn, what a lovely post!! You’re (always) such a great writer to create such emotion with your words. And a very happy birthday to Bobby (I hope to meet the lucky guy one of these days!)

26 s September 13, 2010 at 9:55 pm

awww, such a nice post. he is lucky to have you! and vice versa!

27 TorontoGirloutWest September 14, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Tres cute Jenn!!!

BTW – you must be super excited for your wedding! It’s sooooo soon! I’ve been having crazy wedding dreams – have you? :)

28 Jenn (eating bender) September 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Yes! YES! I have been meaning to tell you also that I checked out your GORGEOUS wedding website and was so amazed and impressed! Your guests are in for an amazing day – and so are you. :) I will write you a better reply soon, I promise!

29 dianacheung September 14, 2010 at 6:25 pm

What a beautiful post. Many couples don’t survive the journey from high school THROUGH college and into adulthood. So happy for you both! And happy belated bday Bobby!

30 Rachael September 14, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I think I just cooed. This is so sweet! I love that you can verbalize so many of the qualities you admire in him. A happy birthday to Bobby!

31 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self September 15, 2010 at 3:37 pm

This is one of the sweetest things I’ve read in a long time! You two are so obviously meant to be! :)

32 Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) September 16, 2010 at 6:09 am

Awww, this was the sweetest post ever! You two are like a match made in heaven! And oh my gosh, your wedding is so soon!

Happy belated birthday to Bobby! Hope he had a good one!

33 Emily (emsemm) September 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Aw Jenn, this just put me in such a great mood! Happy belated birthday to Bobby and happy ONE MONTH to both of you!

34 Jenn (eating bender) September 20, 2010 at 12:05 am

Aw, thank you Emily!! You rock :)

35 Kelly Olexa September 17, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Congratulations sweetie.

36 Jenn (eating bender) September 20, 2010 at 12:10 am

Thanks, Kelly! :) That means a lot to me!