{Not In My Back} Yard House

by Jenn (eating bender) on January 27, 2011

Hi Friends!!

Is it Thursday already? What a week. I’m actually very excited for tonight because I am taking Bobby out on a date. :) I gave him tickets to see Dralion by Cirque du Soleil for Christmas and we are off to the the-a-ter (do I sound cultured?) tonight. Yes, it sounds like a self-serving gift. But we went to see Kooza more than two years ago and loved it. After seeing the Beatles Love in Las Vegas with Jill, I checked the website and was very happy to hear they would be coming back to Chicago again!

The trailer looks amazing (you have to click the video to watch on YouTube):

I’ll be sure to let you know what we thought of it in my next post!

Another thing I’m excited about this week? A new restaurant to love: Yard House.

This restaurant boasts the “world’s largest selection of draft beer” and they aren’t kidding! So of course, we had to start with a pint. Jill suggested the 3floyds Gumball Head. With a unique name like that, how could I refuse?

It was very good! With an orange, citrus and coriander blend, I could definitely taste the zestiness.

We also took advantage of the happy hour menu. We started with an order of hummus, topped with edamame and kalamata olives with crispy soybeans with kosher salt. Plus plenty o’ pita!

For dinner, we decided to each order a pizza to share, which were at half price. I chose the BBQ Chicken, which came with mozzarella, cilantro, red onion and smoked gouda with BBQ sauce.

Jill went with the Margherita, which was comprised of oven roasted roma tomatoes, roasted garlic, mozzarella and fresh basil. Both were delicious – it was hard to choose a favorite!

We were each able to bring home a few slices for leftovers, too.

Overall, I give the Yard House two thumbs up! Especially during happy hour. Mama and Papa Bender, if you’re reading, we should visit it next time I come to Arizona.

What is one of the best restaurants (new to you or an old favorite) you’ve visited lately?

I am usually a creature of habit because I’m scared that I won’t like something new. But it’s always great when you take the chance and it turns out in your favor! Too bad the only Illinois location is so far outside of the city. Hint, hint.

1 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food January 27, 2011 at 8:58 am

LOVE the Yard House! They have such a good selection of beers.

My favorite restaurant is a place called Brother Tuckers right by my house. It’s a hole in the wall with innovative bar type food and a crazy good beer selection like Yard House. One of my favorite meals there… Salisbury Steak Meatballs on top of Blue Cheese Mac & Cheese. OH YEAH

2 Megan January 27, 2011 at 10:01 am

Yardhouse really does have the best beer selection! I actually used to work right around the corner from there (at a different restaurant- right out of college) so I used to go there for beers pretty often. Although, I’m glad you hit the happy hour/daily specials because I think otherwise it’s sort of overpriced for what it is. I’m going to Watershed this weekend which I haven’t tried yet- I’m excited for it! :)

3 VeggieGirl January 27, 2011 at 10:30 am

Oooh I want that pizza!

4 cbrady3 January 27, 2011 at 10:56 am

I recently tried a vegetarian diner called Shangri-La. The service was iffy, but I had one of the best veggie burgers ever! I love finding new places:)

5 Karla January 27, 2011 at 11:36 am

Have a blast at Cirque du Solei! So jealous :) The Yard House looks awesome! Glenview seems to have some pretty good restaurants.

6 Karla January 27, 2011 at 11:37 am

PS: Love the Wheel of Fortune “Before and After” happening with this post title šŸ˜‰

7 Lauren January 27, 2011 at 11:38 am

That pizza looks heavenly. I love restaurant weeks. I live in Hershey, PA and each year they do a fantastic restaurant week, followed by a Chocolate Covered February series. It’s amazing.

8 Monique January 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Ooooh hope you have fun at Cirque!!! I realllllly wanted to see Love in Vegas, but I went during black out week, boo! And The Yardhouse IS amazing :) I haven’t been to the one in Phoenix or Scottsdale yet… but when I lived in CA I definitely went to the one in Orange County :)

9 Jenny January 27, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Omg I want that pizza!! It’s been some time for me, looks amazing.

10 Yard House January 27, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Jenn, Thank you so much for visiting us and taking the time to write such a fabulous review. We truly appreciate you and hope to see you again soon!

Team Yard House

11 Erica January 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm

The show sounds fun! Enjoy! I’ve never been to any of the Cirque du Soleil shows, but definitely want to go. And yum to the restaurant! Especially the hummus platter. We just went back to Mellow Mushroom recently- I always have a good meal there!

12 Miles and Manhattan January 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm

That sounds great! And those pizzas look AMAZING!!!!

13 BroccoliHut January 27, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Mmm hummus and pizza is one of my all time favorite meals–Seth and I order it all the time at Mellow Mushroom!
Latest restaurant discovery: Cafe Harmony, an all organic place just a few minutes from my apartment!

14 CaSaundra January 28, 2011 at 9:11 am

I’ve never heard of the Yard House–but looks like they have a great selection for their menu! I really love The Golden Corral..I am all about buffets, and they truly have an amazing and delicious selection!

Have fun on your date!

15 Paige @ Running Around Normal January 28, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I love Cirque! I’ve seen one show in Vegas, one in Orlando, and one here in Peoria haha – but always a good show! Have fun!!

16 carolinebee January 31, 2011 at 8:48 am

Yummm i love Yardhouse! The one in my hometown is right on the water with this great deck, and they play great classic rock at night šŸ˜€

17 Nicole Navratil January 31, 2011 at 10:22 am

How was Cirque?! Saw it here in Minneapolis this summer and was amazed…

18 EnjoyLifeandProsper January 31, 2011 at 8:00 pm

This place looks so yummy!!!