#SnOMG + My Accent Vlog

by Jenn (eating bender) on February 2, 2011

Happy Groundhog’s Day!

I can’t even justly describe how crazy last night was here in Chicago! We had everything from 50-60 mph winds to “thundersnow,” which means exactly what you’d think it does – thunder and lightning when all you can see out your window is a blur of white flakes.

The big storm has been called many things by newscasters and people on Twitter. My personal favorites are Snowpocalypse and SnOMG, but I’m also a fan of Snowtorious B.I.G. :) At least Punxsutawney Phil predicted an early spring.

So what’s a girl to do when the whether weather outside is frightful (and so is my spelling)?

Make an accent vlog, of course.

After seeing plenty of my fellow bloggers give it a go, I decided to try it out myself and take the usual cheesiness of my blog writing and put it into video form. You can thank me later. 😉

Here goes nothing (P.S. I’m changing the auto-pic from YouTube so I don’t look half asleep):

Want to join in? Create your own video and start by introducing where you’re from and who your “accent influencers” are. Then pronounce the following: Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught.

And answer these questions:

• What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
  • What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
  • What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
  • What do you call gym shoes?
  • What do you say to address a group of people?
  • What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
  • What do you call your grandparents?
  • What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
  • What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
  • What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

So let me have it. Could you tell I am from Minnesota?

Oh yeah, you betcha.

At least I don’t say, “Chi-kah-goh.” Not yet, anyway.

1 Erin February 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm

LOL! Did you pronounce “crayon” as “cran”?
You are SO CUTE!
In Oregon, we call it a potato bug!
This was fun to watch :)

2 Jenn (eating bender) February 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Cran as in cranberry? Why yes, yes I did. :)

3 cbrady3 February 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm

You have great camera presence! And your pronunciations do make sense…
You didn’t pick up any of the Minnesota accent!

4 Jenn (eating bender) February 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Aw, thank you! It’s nice to hear that four years of broadcast journalism school didn’t completely fail me because sometimes I’m not so sure. :) And you know, I think I used to have a really good Minnes-oh-ta accent but ever since I graduated from high school it disappeared. I miss it!

5 Jessica F February 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm

You sound perfectly normal to me! Haha…I’m from the Twin Cities though.

Although, we do differ on a few words like pecan and I grew up calling the little rollie bugs as potato bugs. Have you heard of those?

6 Jenn (eating bender) February 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Haha, great minds, Jessica. :) You know after watching the video again the only word I think I use in several different ways is pecan. I think I say “pe-CAN” and “pe-CAHN” interchangeably, so it just came out one way off the top of my head! As for those potato bugs – it’s so bizarre! I think I have heard of that term more so than a “roly-poly” but in reality I probably just called every insect I saw, “scary,” because I’m not exactly brave when it comes to bugs. :)

7 Jill Felska February 2, 2011 at 4:39 pm

You forgot one, Mrs. Caddy Corner. 😉

8 Jenn (eating bender) February 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Yeah, yeah. Miss Q-pon. You’re just as bad as Bobby! :)

9 sarah (sarah learns) February 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm

very cute accent vlog! :) i say won like the number one. i was hoping to hear some major minnesota OH on ‘both’, but you said it normally!

10 Jenn (eating bender) February 2, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I used to say “both” and “don’t” very heavy on the “O” but ever since I graduated from high school and left Minnesota, it disappeared. I miss it!!

11 Erica February 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Ah! Stay safe from that crazy storm! I love this vlog. SO cute! I hear a slight Midwestern draw in there. Love it. And your hair looks super cute slightly wavy.

12 MOlly February 2, 2011 at 5:25 pm

LOVe this and all your minnesota-ness :)

13 carolinebee February 2, 2011 at 6:09 pm

omg love it!!! :) I def didn’t notice a major accent in our convo’s, only a lovable midwestern hint!! A girl in my sorority had the most stereotypical Minnesota accent…Ny-atalie!! lol

I should do one of my friends here in Bah-ston….haha they are the BESTTT EVER!!

14 Heather February 2, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I’ll have to listen when hubby stops rocking out to Earth, Wind & Fire but had to laugh at your spelling of Chicago. My cousins from Georgia (who have a rather thick accent themselves) SWEAR that I sound like the Bears Super Fans from SNL. haha It’s rather entertainnig & to an extent they are right. lol

Stay warm girl! It’s still snowing over here in Valpo!

15 Lauren February 2, 2011 at 7:13 pm

This is awesome! I love your accent vlog. And I think you have a very similar accent to myself. We use a lot of the same words too. Must be a northern thing. :) Thanks for doing this Jenn, it’s so great to get a feel for you in person. :)

16 MarathonVal February 2, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I’ve never heard of a sunshower…. but I like the idea of that! And I agree, I don’t usually say y’all (it would just sound so unnatural if I did) but I agree it’s very all encompassing :) We should start the trend!

17 ashley@quasichick February 2, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Love this!

18 glidingcalm February 2, 2011 at 9:26 pm

you are adorable!! i want to make one!!

19 CaSaundra February 3, 2011 at 7:33 am

Love this!!! Yay for MN girls!!! My vlog sounds similar to you, except coupon..I’m with Bobby on that haha!

20 jsutera654 February 3, 2011 at 7:51 am

Haha! I love how you say “crayon” what a riot!

21 Megan (Braise The Roof) February 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I don’t think your Minnesota accent is strong at all, actually. Or maybe I’ve been living in the midwest too long and my ear has weakened. 😉

22 Melissa @ TryingToHeal February 3, 2011 at 8:11 pm

crayon! hahahahahhaa! i love it!!!

and omg don’t fall into the “y’all”…soooo southern. be like me, who cares about genders and use “you guys”. hahaha!

you’re too funny about the “won” pronunciation! i’ll think about that next time i win something…which is like, never. lol!

23 Toronto Girl West February 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm

FUN!!! :)

I put up my Accent Vlog yesterday. It’s been cool to hear all these bloggers!

On the whole you sound really normal to me, except that you say a couple of things differently. One of them being mayonnaise – actually most US bloggers have pronounced mayonnaise different than I do!

24 Jess February 4, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Since I had met you in personal once I sort of knew what you sounded like already, but I can definitely pick up your accent a little bit in your O’s. And the way you said Crayon, kind of like the o wasn’t there. “Crayn”

25 natalie (the sweets life) February 4, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I think your voice is what I pictured! :)

26 Karla February 4, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Hehe, love this! You are too cute, Jenn.

Sorry to say this, but I say “cue-pon” too, like Bobby 😉 I know it’s spelled coupon, but I can’t help it!

27 Paige @ Running Around Normal February 5, 2011 at 8:59 am

Our accents are very similar! Though I’ve never heard anyone else say “wah-n” instead of “one!”
One thing I say funny is pillow. I pronounce it pell-o

28 Brittany February 6, 2011 at 9:59 am

It’s so fun to hear how different people pronounce things. I have some funny things I say (and get made fun of for) like calling shopping carts buggys. :)

We had a thunderstorm snow storm last year and it was so crazy. Lighting and thunder while it’s snowing is just seems so out of place.

29 Katie February 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I love these! And your Minnesota accent isn’t strong at all, but it made me happy to hear. I miss it! I love hearing what people really sound like :-)

30 Marianne February 16, 2011 at 2:41 am

Every time I come across one of the accent vlogs I feel like I should do my own. But, ya know…I’m a bit chicken to get in front of the camera and talk. For no really good reason actually.

And woohoo for calling it pop – that’s very Canadian 😉