Green + Gold: The Super Bowl Champions Soup

by Jenn (eating bender) on February 9, 2011

I know it’s Wednesday, but my euphoria is still lingering. The Packers won the Super Bowl!!!!!!!!

It was an amazing weekend. The game was certainly a thriller and, as always, I enjoyed watching the commercials. There were a few that I wasn’t a fan of (er…Groupon) but a lot that I really appreciated. I made Chocolate-Nospresso Mint Snowcaps for our game time treat, and they came out even better than the first time around!

This time I rolled them in the powdered sugar twice, so that they truly looked like “snowcaps.”

The usual Super Bowl libations were also consumed. In my case, Stella Artois with an orange slice. My mom and I love adding fruit slices to our beer. It really opens up the flavor!

Speaking of my mom, the entire Bender family visited Chicago “in spirit” for the big game. What exactly do I mean by that? Well, let’s just say that throughout the evening, cheers were emanating from my computer screen.

How could I not love these crazies? Cheese heads and all. :) Note the big “G” I am also sporting, too!

And the best part of the game (besides the win, obviously) was the soup I made in honor of my favorite team. Call me crazy, but I think this soup played a big role in their victory!

Springtime Risotto Soup? No.

This was Green + Gold: The Super Bowl Champions Soup (trademark pending).

Green + Gold: The Super Bowl Champions Soup (adapted from Cooking Light)

Ingredients (serves 4, or in our case 2 with room for leftovers):

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
  • 3/4 cup Arborio rice (or other short grain rice)
  • 3 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1.5 cups (1-inch) slices asparagus
  • 2 cups bagged spinach
  • 2 sliced Amylu Apple and Smoked Gouda chicken sausages
  • Parmesan cheese, to taste

Cook the Arborio rice according to package directions.

While the rice is cooling off to the side, heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add in the yellow onion and lemon rind; cook for 2 minutes. Add in the rice; cook for another three minutes.

Stir in the chicken broth and bring everything to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile chop the asparagus into one-inch pieces.

After 10 minutes of simmering, stir the asparagus, spinach and chicken sausage into the pot. Cook, uncovered, for 2-5 minutes or until asparagus is tender and spinach is slightly wilted.

The GREEN and GOLD!!!!!!!! :)

Ladle soup into bowls and top each with as much Parmesan cheese as you desire. Serve immediately!

Words can’t express how tasty this soup was – and how easy it was to make, too! I will definitely be whipping this up again. We had enough leftovers for lunch the next day as we continued to savor our Packers precious win. :)

Yes, Greg Jennings. I feel the exact same way.

Aaron Rodgers for MVP? That makes sense to me!

It also makes sense to end the evening on as high of a note as possible. Cue cookies and cream.

This was, after all, a night that showcased what dreams are made of.

I promise I will stop oozing green and gold now.

Question: Did you watch the Super Bowl? What was your favorite commercial?

1 Jess February 9, 2011 at 9:30 am

I love that you were video chatting with your fam!

2 Megan (Braise The Roof) February 9, 2011 at 9:42 am

Alright, alright, I get it, you’re excited. πŸ˜‰ I’ll let your Packers fan-dom slide this time! I have to say, I didn’t think the commercials were that great this year! I liked the VW Darth Vader one, but I thought all the Doritos ones were meh and honestly don’t remember many of the others! The soup looks great, though- it’s so cold out today, I wish I had soup for lunch!

3 leashieloo February 9, 2011 at 9:47 am

That’s such a fitting soup! And I have cookie envy from those snowcapped lovelies!

4 carolinebee February 9, 2011 at 9:54 am

HAHA looveeeee it, your GB spirit is amazing πŸ˜€ I love Clay Matthews so I am on board!

My fave commercial was the Eminem one…Dr. pepper i think?? Or the one where all the people were using WAY old school electronics, like the record player and huge cell phone in place of new funny!

5 Otto February 9, 2011 at 10:03 am

Don’t fruit the beer!

6 Jenn (eating bender) February 9, 2011 at 10:18 am

Otto ~ You’re crazy. :)

7 Tracey February 9, 2011 at 10:25 am

I was SO happy the Packers won!!!

I thought the Audi commercial was smart and great marketing. Of course the VW Darth Vader commercial was super cute :)

8 Karla February 9, 2011 at 10:42 am

That soup looks delish! What an appropriate way to celebrate the AMAZING Packer win!! :) I adore the fact that you were able to share it with your family too.

I’m calling for a two-peat!

9 Salah February 9, 2011 at 10:55 am

Yay Packers!!!! haha Love that soup, looks amazing!

10 members1sttest February 9, 2011 at 11:14 am

Yay for the Packers win!!! And what a great game too!! :) Glad you had a wonderful weekend. :)

11 Susan Krenn February 9, 2011 at 11:37 am

I love your family and their cheese heads… so cute. :)

12 annie February 9, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I missed out this year due to a cablebox malfunction =(

that soup looks delish!

13 cbrady3 February 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Love the team spirit! I’m so glad you got so into it – I wish one of my teams were playing so I could have done the same!

14 elise February 9, 2011 at 12:41 pm

i just got all giddy just reading this again. gah. best. game. EVERRRRRRR.

15 Sarah February 9, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I really liked the car commercial with the kid dressed up as Darth Vader! My husband is a New York fan (Jets/Giants) and I am all about the Colts but since none of our teams were in it, we rooted for the Packers! :)

16 BroccoliHut February 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm

What a creative take on Superbowl food! We watched, with lots of guac on hand:)

17 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food February 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

That soup looks really great! My fav commercial was the Dorito’s finger licking one, so gross but awesome at the same time! hehe

18 Melissa @ TryingToHeal February 9, 2011 at 8:21 pm

if i can have some of those cookies i promise to watch at least 15 minutes of the next football game… πŸ˜€

19 Erica February 10, 2011 at 9:55 am

It was SUCH a good game! We watched in from Jamaica (we were on vacation) and were cheering on the packers! Whoop whoop! I loved the pug Doritos commercial. Those Chocolate-Nospresso Mint Snowcaps look amazing (going to look at the recipe again) and love the spirited soup! Sorry I’ve been MIA! I will finally have a post up tomorrow morning.

20 sarah (sarah learns) February 10, 2011 at 6:12 pm

HOORAY PACKERS! please continue to make that soup for every game if it brought us luck. πŸ˜‰

my favorite commercial was probably the doritos commercial with the finger-licking. so funny and so awkward at the same time!

21 natalie (the sweets life) February 11, 2011 at 12:37 pm

STILL pumped from last Sunday! That soup is an AMAZING idea, I wish I’d thought to do something like that!!!

22 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 13, 2011 at 9:33 pm

the cookie and ice cream look fabulous <3
unfortunately i didnt watch the Super Bowl but I quite enjoyed this post!! YUM YUMS!

23 CaSaundra February 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Lovin’ the festive soup–so much fun! :-) Yaaaay Packers!!

And I felt the same about the Groupon ad..totally uncalled for.