What Was I Thinking?

by Jenn (eating bender) on February 27, 2011

Today I am going to be running as fast as I can up this 100-story structure.

That’s right. I am hustling. Up the Hancock. For charity, which is about the only sane part!

What was I thinking? 😉

I think I was thinking it would be a lot of fun and I’m sure by the end, it will be! Anyone have any tips or advice for climbing massive flights of stairs? Anything to avoid my legs giving out around floor 50 would be much appreciated.

I’ll have more to come on the event later on!

1 Kathleen February 27, 2011 at 9:28 am

I actually did a stair climb when I was living in Denver! It was 50 flights as well and was called “Run the Republic” for the American Lung Association. It was hard as heck and my lungs were burning and my legs were numb. My best advice would be to just get a steady pace going and don’t STOP! Good luck and can’t wait to hear about it.

2 Jenn (eating bender) February 27, 2011 at 9:36 am

Lungs burning, huh? Good thing this is for charity – haha! Thank you for the tips. I definitely will not stop!!!!

3 Kimberly Rae Miller February 27, 2011 at 9:33 am

I used to work for the American Lung Association and help plan those stairclimb events. I did the Wachovia building climb in Miami. My butt was amazing when I was training for that race. I even did an episode of my old webshow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MXDL3-EK1Y — not a plug, just sharing for stairclimbing support purposes) where I taped myself climbing (it was actually a great excuse to stop and take a breather). Good luck today!

4 Jenn (eating bender) February 27, 2011 at 9:44 am

Your video just made me much more excited. :) Bobby and I both watched it and it made me miss the Daily Special and ElasticWaist.com! Although I just typed the latter in for nostalgia sake and it takes me to SELF.com. Crazy! Thank you for the link – I may have to flip cam some of our craziness today, too!

5 Tim Jahn February 27, 2011 at 9:55 am

Holy crap! I’ve seen this advertised before and always thought it would be quite the endurance tester.

When I run from my desk upstairs to the kitchen, I’m out of breath sometimes. Now I just feel lazy…

6 Jenn (eating bender) February 27, 2011 at 10:00 am

I get out of breath going up the El stairs. This is why I am screwed. 😉 Although I have been training in my apartment building as often as possible, so fingers crossed!

7 VeggieGirl February 27, 2011 at 10:02 am

Ahhh I want to do that!! 😀

8 Lee February 27, 2011 at 10:14 am

Good luck! We have one of those races here and I’ve always been to scared to sign up!

9 Erica February 27, 2011 at 11:00 am

best of luck! Just pace yourself girl!

10 Jen February 27, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I have done the Race Up Boston Place for a few years now. I would really try to train by climbing actual stairs. It is very different then a general stairmaster. I am a walk upper not one of the runners though.

11 lawfullyweddedwife February 27, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Oh my gosh, good luck!!!

12 MarathonVal February 27, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Hope you had fun! I was signed up to do it but my Achilles has been bothering me just a tad and I didn’t wan to make it worse so I skipped the climb today… but I did it last year and it was a lot of fun!

13 sarah (sarah learns) February 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm

i would totally do that event! i hope it went well today – my future sister in law just did a charity stair climb recently. she said she really liked it!

14 Miz February 28, 2011 at 5:17 am

(she shouts :))

15 Megan (Braise The Roof) February 28, 2011 at 9:19 am

Can’t wait to hear your recap! It really was fun- I only wish they would’ve handed out towels at the end because I was sweeeaty. :)

16 natalie (the sweets life) February 28, 2011 at 1:18 pm

ahhh I’ve always wanted to do something like this! Excited to read your recap!