Why March First Is Epic To Me

by Jenn (eating bender) on March 1, 2011

It’s hard to believe that today is March 1, 2011.

This time two years ago, I was still in college, dreaming of Paris and worrying about winter quarter finals. The most stressful thing in my life (and definitely no small stress) was that I would not find a full-time job with a public relations firm by the time I graduated.

This time one year ago, I was sitting in a Borders bookstore on Michigan Avenue (may it rest in peace) with Jill, marking our first day as business partners. Our last days at stable, full-time jobs (the very same kind of job I had so desperately agonized over in 2009) had been the previous Friday, and there we were, clicking publish on our new blog, Pursuing Our Passion, to kick start the journey into owning a business.

Today, we celebrate an entire year of ups and downs, successes and failures and, most importantly, discovering that it is possible to take a leap and land safely on the other side. To grow a profitable business and learn what it means to become your own boss.

Cheers to POP! Social Media. Our business is our “baby,” and we’ve truly loved watching it grow.

Late last week, Jill and I celebrated our “quitiversary” over lunch at Grand Lux Cafe.

We shared a few of the small plates on their lunch menu. First up was the Warm Goat Cheese Salad, made with crispy goat cheese, baby greens, fresh apple and a touch of honey. The last three components brought an incredible freshness, while the goat cheese essentially melted in our mouths.

Next, we chose Mini Tacos, which consisted of warm corn tortillas with chicken, avocado and chipotle sauces, cheese and tomato salsa. These were slightly hard to maneuver because the sauces made the tortillas a bit on the soggy side, but the flavor still packed a punch.

Our final small plate was a mini pizza called Fresh Spinach and Burrata, which was topped with creamy burrata cheese, spinach, garlic and organic heirloom cherry tomatoes.

We were huge fans of the small plate idea. The bill was cheaper, we had just enough to eat and we were able to try a variety of dishes. All good reasons to make a return trip sometime soon!

It was a great chance to get together and reflect on a whirlwind year. We are sure things will be just as crazy in 2011. After all, we are in the process of building our second company, DreamChamps.

I leave you with a quote from Leigh Standley, creator of Curly Girl Design. My mom sent me one of her lightbox quotes last year as I prepared to dive head first into the unknown world of business ownership. Leigh is an inspirational female entrepreneur, with dozens of amazing quotes for every aspect of life on her website. This is one of my very favorites.

“She packed up her potential and all she had learned, grabbed a cute pair of shoes and headed out to change a few things.”

I’m off to buy another new pair of shoes. Who wants to join me?

1 cleaneatingchelsey March 1, 2011 at 11:14 am

Congrats on one year of being your own boss!

2 Jenn (eating bender) March 1, 2011 at 11:45 am

Thanks, Chelsey!! :)

3 Megan (Braise The Roof) March 1, 2011 at 11:17 am

I love that quote! I’d love to see a post from you with more about your business and tips for getting started…just a thought. :) Congrats on successfully making it through one year, you have a lot to be proud of!

4 Jenn (eating bender) March 1, 2011 at 11:29 am

That’s a great idea! I think sometimes I forget to talk about the business on this blog because of my other one – but you are absolutely right and I think it’d be fun to do that soon. Thank you! :)

5 VeggieGirl March 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I still remember when you told me about it on the phone, right before this all started :) I’M SO PROUD!!! Congratulations!!

6 Erica March 1, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Congrats to you two!!! You certainly have done an AMAZING job so far and that is SO exciting that you’re opening a second business. The meal looks like a perfect celebration. I want that Warm Goat Cheese Salad- yum

7 Mellissa March 1, 2011 at 12:12 pm

LOVE this quote. I have extra cute shoes on today!

8 Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods March 1, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Love this and contrats on your new endeavor! Very inspiring!

9 cbrady3 March 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Had no idea you were starting another business. Just checked out the site and it looks like a GREAT idea!

10 Melissa @ TryingToHeal March 1, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Yay!!! You two have done so much in the past year! I’m so proud to know you both personally!!!

11 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Congrats on your quitiversary!! Being your own boss is the best. So are small tasting plates! I love variety.

12 spabettie March 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Happy Epic-versary!!

reading this post gave me chills – you are so inspirational and it has been great to follow along from Way Back When!! šŸ˜€

congrats on your year. DreamChamps sounds exciting as well, and I’m sure it will be!

13 Andrea of Care to Eat March 1, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Congrats to you and Jill! You should be so proud of yourselves :)
I remember when you first posted about Curly Girl Designs – I actually just realized when I read this post that for xmas, my Aunt gave me the cutest wall plaque of hers to put in my nursery.

14 jobo March 1, 2011 at 7:26 pm

CONGRATS!! That’s awesome. I think it’s so great that you went for it! Such an inspiration.

15 Jenny March 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Congrats on being your own boss girl. No better way to celebrate then with some awesome eats!! :)

16 CaSaundra March 2, 2011 at 9:27 am

You have a lot of acomplishments to be proud of for sure!! And that author sounds great–I love inspirational quotes!

17 carolinebee March 3, 2011 at 7:46 am

AWWW JEN..first of all- RIP Borders!!! :(
2nd….CONGRATS on the Hustle!!!! Ahhh my cousin did it too, the one you met at brunch last year haha…I should have told u guys to look out for each other!!! That is soo awesome..

I’m soooo happy for your and Jill’s big anniversary šŸ˜€ What a crazy/scary/exciting leap….but obviously SO worth it- you girls are kicking some serious ass and i cannot WAIT to see what’s next for you! PLEASEEEE keep me posted on your Boston trip!! I have a superrrrr comfy new sectional with a pull-out if you need to save some dollaz and crash with me šŸ˜€ šŸ˜€ xoxoxoox

18 Jenn (eating bender) March 3, 2011 at 9:49 am

You are so sweet, Caroline! Thank you for all the kind words – it definitely has been worth it and I don’t regret the decision for a second! I will keep you updated on Boston. It’s looking like early May and Jill will be with me. If you are serious about that comfy sectional, let me know. :) It would be SO fun to hang out with you while we’re there! I’m pretty sure you and Jill would be fast friends. <3

19 Kelli Korducki March 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Congrats on the big anniversary, girl! When reading this I realized that it’s been just over a year since I last worked a full-time 9-5 job as well, and I know how awesome it feels to be in control of your own career destiny (though being a freelance writer isn’t quite the same as having your own incorporated biz!). SO proud of you and your accomplishments!